Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Wispers of the Old Gods  (Read 95263 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Wispers of the Old Gods
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »

Even at destroy all 2 attack minions, Priest doesn't run any. Deathlord is leaving rotation, and Northshire cleric is 1 mana minion. And I'm sure you can manage this card even easier than excavated evil.

It's 2 *or less*.  Northshire Cleric dies.  As does Museum Curator.

Museum Curator is incidental. Northshire already dies to Excavated Evil. It doesn't matter because you usually only play it to draw cards, or if you're desperate. But it doesn't matter much if either of those die. They don't generate value by trading usually.

And if you have Horror in your hand, you would play accordingly. The only real time I see it being a downside is if you topdeck it and it wasn't planning.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2016, 03:37:28 pm »

Any non-USians had success using Amazon Coins to squeeze out marginal discounts on packs?  I'm going to find an android emulator and give it a go for the preorder, but success stories always help.

So I got this working in the end.  It's a little bit involved: setting up an Android emulator if you don't have a phone/tablet, linking an Amazon account, acquiring coins, waiting several hours for the purchase to filter through to the HS client...  But I did preorder WotOG for about £27, down from £35.  I do now have £20 worth of coins lying around until the next expansion hits, but I used an old Amazon gift card anyway, so I'm no worse off than I was before.

The discount comes in two parts: a 10% discount when you purchase coins, then a coin rebate when you buy the packs.  The 10% should always be available.  The rebate might not be around all the time, but it will tell you before you have to click the final confirmation, so check before buying the coins.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2016, 11:33:45 pm »

There have been some cool cards, but the new warrior I just saw is very cool

Blood Warriors - 3mana spell
Add a copy of each damaged friendly minion to your hand.

First thought is it can be ok with Patron, but I don't think that's the best use for it. Taunt Warrior could use this to copy taunts, as long as there are good taunts to copy that are released. Echo of Medivh variant in warrior allows for cool stuff.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2016, 12:25:17 am »

Why, oh why do they have to release so many cool epics now (and  Legendaries I guess)? It's making the pre-order too tempting, but I'm in a pretty stingy mood these days.

I think Blood Warriors is going to be strong with the new Hogger and maybe the C'Thun buff cards. Getting extra copies of the Ancient Shieldbearer (Warrior class card C'Thun synergy card that can grant you 10 armor) might be pretty gross. Less so with Patron itself, as they rely mostly on synergy cards to be good.

Ravaging Ghoul(3/3 Warrior card, Battlecry deal 1 damage to all other minions) also seems pretty good as an all around versatile card, even though it's not the next Death's Bite.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2016, 04:27:25 pm »

Well, the 4th Old God has been revealed:

Yogg-Saron, Hope's End
http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/hearthstone-general/card-discussion/130267-new-legendary-card-yogg-saron-hopes-end
Legendary Neutral Minion
7/5
Battlecry: Cast a random spell for each spell you've cast this game (targets chosen randomly)

Worth checking out the FAQ on this one. The gist of it is, is can play any spell from any class (even if it can fizzle like say Deadly Poison) so long as it's Standard valid if playing Standard. It also "casts" spells in a hacked way that doesn't trigger Mana Wyrm, Flame Waker, Gadgetzan, Counterspell, and cards of that nature. As for choice spells like Wrath and Discover cards, it chooses randomly.

Someone will have to do a survey of all the cards that are good and untargeted (Flamestrike, Sprint, Everyfin is Awesome, etc.) to see if this is worth playing. I just can't wait to have this autoplay Astral Communion. Like, the first Nefarian boss fight has a lot of ways for Nefarian to screw himself over with Wild Magic, like auto-playing Equality. Now you can join in on that fun!

Pretty awesome wow factor though!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2016, 04:46:36 pm »

This card is terrible, but it'll give people some hilarious Hail Mary options. On an even board you're as likely to kill yourself as your opponent.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2016, 04:53:25 pm »

This card is terrible, but it'll give people some hilarious Hail Mary options. On an even board you're as likely to kill yourself as your opponent.
I see it as a spin-off of Deathwing.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2016, 04:56:49 pm »

Not exactly as likely.  As markusin pointed out there are lots of spells that are almost always good for the caster.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2016, 07:24:34 pm »

Yogg-Saron's design really does not appeal to me. I guess it's a similar idea to the Golden Monkey, but in that case you're at least getting to DO something with the legendaries it's putting in your deck. Yogg-Saron's effect might as well be a cutscene, given how little you interact with it.

Plus it's like they went out of their way to make it competitively unplayable. It's questionable whether the effect is even positive, and other than that it's a 10 mana 7/5.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2016, 07:26:42 pm »

But even those that are good for the caster, like Holy Fire, still need to be properly targeted. But it'll pretty hilarious to play, so I'll definitely give it a try in a spell heavy deck.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2016, 07:28:35 pm »
+1

Not exactly as likely.  As markusin pointed out there are lots of spells that are almost always good for the caster.
The problem I see with the effect, strength-wise, is that if you run a 10 mana card in your deck and actually reach turn 10, in a lot of matchups that already means you're winning, because you didn't get aggro'd to death. What you certainly _don't_ want to do in that situation is convert a winning situation into a coinflip, even if that coinflip is slightly biased in your favor.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2016, 07:34:49 pm »

Yogg-Saron's design really does not appeal to me. I guess it's a similar idea to the Golden Monkey, but in that case you're at least getting to DO something with the legendaries it's putting in your deck. Yogg-Saron's effect might as well be a cutscene, given how little you interact with it.

Plus it's like they went out of their way to make it competitively unplayable. It's questionable whether the effect is even positive, and other than that it's a 10 mana 7/5.

Yeah, this card really does not appeal to me. It sounds interesting to resolve once, but after that it feels too arbitrary. With the Discover mechanic / Golden Monkey, you still have to choose the card to discover / which legendary to play. This sounds like you play it and hope things go well.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2016, 08:12:03 pm »

Yeah, this card really does not appeal to me. It sounds interesting to resolve once, but after that it feels too arbitrary. With the Discover mechanic / Golden Monkey, you still have to choose the card to discover / which legendary to play. This sounds like you play it and hope things go well.

Well like, you can control when to play the Golden Monkey so replace the cards that are the least useful for the current situation, to hopefully get slightly more useful cards. It's hard to think of a Legendary that is worse than say Shield Block or Power Word: Shield during fatigue.

I can imagine Tempo Mage getting to Turn 10 without having any more steam where Yogg is their best bet. Still, Yogg-Saron seems like a non-competitive card.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2016, 04:20:34 am »

New Warlock legendary looks absurd.

Cho'Gall
7 mana Legendary Minion
7/7
Battlecry: The next spell you cast this turn costs Health instead of Mana

I imagine it's more balanced than it looks, because you need to spend 7 mana the same turn. That doesn't leave much room for things besides the 1 spell, but fast mana is a fundamentally strong effect.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2016, 04:55:06 am »

Cho'Gall
7 mana Legendary Minion
7/7

I imagine it's more balanced than it looks, because you need to spend 7 mana the same turn. That doesn't leave much room for things besides the 1 spell, but fast mana is a fundamentally strong effect.

It's great tempo, but basically you're only "cheating" a vanilla 7/7 onto the battlefield for a cheaper-than-expected cost on turn 7+. I don't think that's broken, given how easy it is to deal with vanilla 7/7s on turn 7+.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2016, 05:40:35 am »

Cho'Gall
7 mana Legendary Minion
7/7

It's great tempo, but basically you're only "cheating" a vanilla 7/7 onto the battlefield for a cheaper-than-expected cost on turn 7+. I don't think that's broken, given how easy it is to deal with vanilla 7/7s on turn 7+.

Is it a demon?  If so, it's a 12/12 for 7 with Demonheart in hand.  With Siphon Soul it's a 7/7, destroy any minion you want, -3 health.  With Bane of Doom it is sort of a Dr. Boom with a demon instead of bomb bots.

But yeah, it's underwhelming if you are playing it with a Mortal Coil or Darkbomb.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2016, 06:07:55 am »

Is it a demon?  If so, it's a 12/12 for 7 with Demonheart in hand.  With Siphon Soul it's a 7/7, destroy any minion you want, -3 health.  With Bane of Doom it is sort of a Dr. Boom with a demon instead of bomb bots.

But yeah, it's underwhelming if you are playing it with a Mortal Coil or Darkbomb.

Not really. You still have to actually play the spell from your hand, you don't just get the spell's effect attached to the minion's battlecry. So, with Siphon Soul, it's not a "7/7, destroy any minion you want, -3 health", it's just a 1 mana 7/7. With Bane of Doom, it's just a 2 mana 7/7. If you play it with Demonheart on itself, you're paying 7 mana, 5 health and two cards for something your opponent can entirely nullify with a 3 mana minion's (whose stats are almost on par with vanilla 3-drops) battlecry.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:10:16 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2016, 06:11:13 am »

Not really. You still have to actually play the spell from your hand, you don't just get the spell's effect attached to the minion's battlecry. So, with Siphon Soul, it's not a "7/7, destroy any minion you want, -3 health", it's just a 1 mana 7/7. With Bane of Doom, it's just a 2 mana 7/7. If you play it with Demonheart, you're paying 7 mana, 5 health and two cards for something your opponent can entirely nullify with a 3 mana minion's (whose stats are almost on par with vanilla 3-drops) battlecry.
While this is currently true, I have to expect that BGH is going to get nerfed.  Without BGH as it is now, big vanilla minions become a lot better.  Priest may run SW:D, and I guess Polymorph is a thing, but without BGH a lot of classes might struggle against big cheap guys.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2016, 08:18:19 am »

Cho'Gall isn't a demon though. I'd think he'd be good with Rafaam artifact spells, but taking 10 damage to the face just seems too dangerous.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2016, 09:22:37 am »
+1

While this is currently true, I have to expect that BGH is going to get nerfed.  Without BGH as it is now, big vanilla minions become a lot better.  Priest may run SW:D, and I guess Polymorph is a thing, but without BGH a lot of classes might struggle against big cheap guys.

Well, that's what a lot of the pros are predicting too. It's hopefully not getting nerfed too much, though, because it's one of the extremely few decent removal cards in HS.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2016, 02:56:42 pm »

Interesting viewpoint to think of the cost reduction as applied to the minion, not the spell.

Compared to other minions where Warlock has health-based cost reduction on vanilla minions, Cho'Gall is a good deal:
Flame Imp -- 3 health for 1 mana
Wrathguard -- 3+ health for 1 mana
Pit Lord -- 5 health for 1 mana
Cho'Gall -- X health for (X-0.5) mana

Obviously the mana isn't worth as much on turn 7 as on turn 1, but the rate being _so good_ makes me optimistic about this card's chance to see play.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2016, 03:01:56 pm »

War golem is bad because it is vanilla, with boulder fist ogre only at 1 mana less. This effect seems strong and I think with spells like siphon soul it'll be strong. Or at least borderline competitive.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2016, 03:04:06 pm »

I think the strength of Cho'Gall will ultimately depend on what kind of nerf, if any, will be applied to Molten Giant. Cho'Gall's effect is a good way to get into Molten Giant range, but the deck would still need major heals to make up for the loss of Healbot.

Still, playing a 3-cost spell with Cho'Gall that you got from Jeweled Scarab or something already seems decent enough.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:05:08 pm by markusin »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2016, 03:10:58 pm »
+1

Oh hey, it looks like the title of this thread is appropriate after all.

Wisps of the Old Gods
http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/hearthstone-general/card-discussion/130796-new-druid-card-wisps-of-the-old-gods
Epic Druid Spell
Choose one: Summon seven 1/1 Wisps; or Give your minions +2/+2.

I, like, okay? I guess they didn't fire that guy that named Dark Wispers after all.

Seems worse than Cenarius unless you have a buff combo lined up like Power of the Wild. Dark Wispers also needs only one minions to get value from the second option.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2016, 04:29:12 pm »

For 7 mana, this seems bad. If it ever becomes popular every class has a good counter to it that's super cheap. It is too expensive to combo with most things.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.