Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Wispers of the Old Gods  (Read 95237 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Wispers of the Old Gods
« on: March 12, 2016, 11:26:45 pm »

I didn't see a thread for this.

Another new card has been announced.
Paladin card - 5mana
Summon five 1/1 silver hand recruits.

I don't see it being good unless they give new synergies with the recruits. Quartermaster is going away for standard, and that new one from TGT hasn't been that great, even in arena. It's basically Dark Wispers, but only the worse option for 1 less mana. Yeah, needs some synergy cards.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Wispers of the Old Gods
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 03:03:14 am »

I didn't see a thread for this.

Another new card has been announced.
Paladin card - 5mana
Summon five 1/1 silver hand recruits.

I don't see it being good unless they give new synergies with the recruits. Quartermaster is going away for standard, and that new one from TGT hasn't been that great, even in arena. It's basically Dark Wispers, but only the worse option for 1 less mana. Yeah, needs some synergy cards.

Having to wait until Turn 5 to play it makes it more likely your opponent will have AoE. But if they don't, then those tokens will be a real pain. At least it doesn't break your Truesilver... That you'd have probably used up by turn 5 if you played it on turn 4. Hm...

I'm intrigued as to what effect this card will have in Wild. This and Muster in the same deck could be scary depending on what kind of nerf Knife Juggler gets if any.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 03:09:22 am »

It's kind of disappointing design space for them to be fooling around with.  It's kind of binary.  If you have AoE, you'll wreck someone paying that much for little tokens.  If you don't, there will be pretty much nothing you can do about it using spot removal and minions that can only attack once per turn so the muster value or BoK value or whatever is going to happen.

3 is fine.  Muster itself is undercosted, but 3 is about where you want to be on a card making a bunch of tokens.  5 is not really where you want to be.  Unless you are wrapping all the way back around to mega super craziness like Onyxia, that's fine.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 03:27:41 am »

It's kind of disappointing design space for them to be fooling around with.  It's kind of binary.  If you have AoE, you'll wreck someone paying that much for little tokens.  If you don't, there will be pretty much nothing you can do about it using spot removal and minions that can only attack once per turn so the muster value or BoK value or whatever is going to happen.

3 is fine.  Muster itself is undercosted, but 3 is about where you want to be on a card making a bunch of tokens.  5 is not really where you want to be.  Unless you are wrapping all the way back around to mega super craziness like Onyxia, that's fine.

Yeah board flood feels more tasteful when Rafaam or Oxynia do it.

With Sea Giant, it's almost like the two cards can combine into Onyxia.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 11:20:57 am »

Ugh, I am not a fan of these slow card previews coming from different sources like we had with TGT. At least this time they have an excuse in the form of needing extra time to work out the kinks of Standard and Classic card nerfs and whatnot.

Anyway, some new cards:

Hogger, Doom of Elwynn
Legendary Neutral Minion
7 Mana 6/6
Whenever this Minion takes damage, summon a 2/2 Gnoll with Taunt.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/31117-hogger-doom-of-elwynn

Going for that Mech Bear Cat and Imp Gang Boss style, except it doesn't have 7 attack. I hope those Gnolls are also corrupted in some way.

Also a new Hunter card:

Giant Sandworm
Epic Hunter Beast Minion
8 Mana 8/8
If this Minion attacks another Minion and kills it, it can attack again.

"Wow, so a minion killed by this thing can attack again?". Joking aside, this looks like another card that a Hunter wouldn't want to add to their deck, but can become a great pull from Webspinner (Wild only), Ram Wrangler, Tomb Spider, and the like. For Arena balance, maybe it's for the best that it is an epic. Cute combo with Bestial Wrath and Stable Master, which lets it wipe the board and even go face.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 11:25:48 am »

Giant Sandworm + Rhino that gives your beasts charge is fun, too.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 11:42:04 am »

So now I can run two Hoggers!  Neat.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 12:25:45 pm »

I'm hoping things get slow enough to play these cool beasts. The Hogger guy looks ok, but not too exciting. The other minion is cool. Offers a style of control that is minion based instead of spell or weapon based.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 01:06:49 pm »

I'm hoping things get slow enough to play these cool beasts. The Hogger guy looks ok, but not too exciting. The other minion is cool. Offers a style of control that is minion based instead of spell or weapon based.

Thinking about it, Hunter sure does have some cool Beasts. Many are situational though, but that makes Discover pretty strong for Hunter I'd say.

Foe Reaper never saw much play, but that had a lot to do with the meta. Plus this beast is arguably more dangerous than Foe Reaper if left alive. Consider that this thing can eat through a Sludge Belcher and still hit face on the same turn (and wipe out a couple of tokens maybe). Kinda cool regardless of how viable this beast is.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 05:19:23 pm »

On the offical facebook Hearthstone page.

Eater of Secrets - 4mana, 2/4- Neural
Destroy all enemy secrets. Gain +1/+1 for each secret destroyed.

Yeah, seems like it'll be good vs. Face hunters who still run secrets. With scientist gone and with this new card, it seems like secrets will be dead. Also Secret Pally will be hurt even more.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 05:24:10 pm »

Yeah, seems like it'll be good vs. Face hunters who still run secrets. With scientist gone and with this new card, it seems like secrets will be dead. Also Secret Pally will be hurt even more.

Seems like it'll be required one-of tech, but no one will run two, and then at some points secrets won't be around and it'll get dropped.

Unless we have some cool new secrets to want to be using.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 05:32:03 pm »

Seems like it'll be required one-of tech, but no one will run two, and then at some points secrets won't be around and it'll get dropped.

But like, You can use this card in Wild too against whatever Secret Paladins might be around.

This card is so heavy handed though. Like, it can wreck Secret Pally (breaking 4 secrets is enough to make it a 6/8 that trades with Mysterious Challenger), but it's kinda meh against Mage and Hunter compared to Kezan when they got their secret off Mad Scientist anyway. Maybe balanced due to the 2/4 for 4 mana stats the rest of the time. Like, that's really bad stats.

I guess in Standard this puts an even harder strain on secret users that lack Mad Scientist, but then again 4 mana 2/4 is really weak so maybe it will only be seen occasionally as a hate-tech card rather than meta defining.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »

But like, You can use this card in Wild too against whatever Secret Paladins might be around.

This card is so heavy handed though. Like, it can wreck Secret Pally (breaking 4 secrets is enough to make it a 6/8 that trades with Mysterious Challenger), but it's kinda meh against Mage and Hunter compared to Kezan when they got their secret off Mad Scientist anyway. Maybe balanced due to the 2/4 for 4 mana stats the rest of the time. Like, that's really bad stats.

I guess in Standard this puts an even harder strain on secret users that lack Mad Scientist, but then again 4 mana 2/4 is really weak so maybe it will only be seen occasionally as a hate-tech card rather than meta defining.

Yeah, 2/4 is pretty bad, so I think you need to know you'll be facing secrets enough that it won't be a dead card.  It feels like BGH to me.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 06:02:18 pm »

Yeah, 2/4 is pretty bad, so I think you need to know you'll be facing secrets enough that it won't be a dead card.  It feels like BGH to me.

It doesn't kill secrets in the same way though. Because you need to have enough people playing secret decks to make this worth it. BGH has so many targets, and in every class, that it just meant no one could play big minions. Here it's a 2/4 for 4, much worse than a 4/2 for 3, and it might not be worth including if you're not facing a lot of secret decks.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 02:49:42 pm »

Okay so new Druid card with C'thun Synergy:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/hearthstone-general/card-discussion/121569-new-card-klaxxi-amber-weaver

Klaxxi Amber-Weaver:
4 Mana Druid Rare Minion
4/5
Battlecry: If your C'Thun has at least 10 Attack, gain +5 Health.

Nice to see some reverse C'Thun synergy going on. This is still a Yeti if it doesn't go off or gets silenced(unlike Twilight Drake) and works with Brann.

Also, there is a new cross-promotion where you can get a new Paladin Skin, Liadrin, for leveling up a WoW character to level 20 (can be done with the free Starter Edition). Ugh, I don't want to play WoW. No word on a time limit for this promotion, similar to the Hearthsteed, so I'll probably get around to it eventually.

Edit: link
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:14:38 pm by markusin »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 02:55:06 pm »

I don't understand why they'll keep the C'thun cards out of arena. They'd all be decent to good even without C'thun so far.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 03:18:41 pm »

I don't understand why they'll keep the C'thun cards out of arena. They'd all be decent to good even without C'thun so far.

If they do that thing where they bias the Arena drafts to the new expansion cards, it would be a flood of vanilla minions. There could also be other C'Thun synergy cards that fail the vanilla test that haven't been shown yet.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 04:19:06 pm »

If they do that thing where they bias the Arena drafts to the new expansion cards, it would be a flood of vanilla minions. There could also be other C'Thun synergy cards that fail the vanilla test that haven't been shown yet.

Yeah, I assume cards that interact with Old Gods don't actually have good stats or are just vanilla stats, and have no effect otherwise. Which would make arena very bland.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 04:51:18 pm »

Also, there is a new cross-promotion where you can get a new Paladin Skin, Liadrin, for leveling up a WoW character to level 20 (can be done with the free Starter Edition). Ugh, I don't want to play WoW. No word on a time limit for this promotion, similar to the Hearthsteed, so I'll probably get around to it eventually.

To be fair, leveling to 20 shouldn't take you more than about 4-6 hours.  I wonder if it works for old unused accounts too?  I have like three or four level 85s...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 04:56:47 pm »

To be fair, leveling to 20 shouldn't take you more than about 4-6 hours.  I wonder if it works for old unused accounts too?  I have like three or four level 85s...

I've never played WoW, so I anticipate it would take longer than that for me.

I think they specifically said that it's not retroactive. You have to level a character under level 20 to level 20, and the Bnet account needs to be the same one that is used for Hearthstone I think. Something about wanting veteran players to check back in and learn about what's new in WoW.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 05:31:28 pm »

Can I get 1 free month of WoW? If so I'd be willing to play just for the new hero.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 05:33:06 pm »

You can get up to level 20 with a free trial account apparently. Expired subscriptions are in the same mode.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 05:33:46 pm »

Can I get 1 free month of WoW? If so I'd be willing to play just for the new hero.

You can play a free character up to level 20 (or 30?)  You won't be able to be in a guild/chat/join groups/do dungeons/etc., but you can level solo.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 02:57:08 am »
+3

On one hand, I'm not a fan of leveling, and I don't want to get into WoW... But on the other hand we have hats...

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 02:02:09 pm »

Is the topic title misspelled on purpose?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.