Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 6: Event (Results!)  (Read 22315 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
+1

Results!
View Finalists
View Cards Submitted

This is the sixth contest for this year's set. This week's challenge: Design an Event!

Submission Rules

• Each participant may submit one card per challenge.
• Participation in previous or future challenges is not required to participate in this one.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system. Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• The name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

Except where specified, you may not submit cards combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside or Adventures slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.
• Traveller cards, Reserve cards, and cards making use of player Tokens may only be submitted as candidates for an Adventures slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

Challenge #6: Event

Design an Event card that would fit into the Adventures expansion. Such a card could have one or more of the following qualities:

• Interacts with player Tokens (possibly including new Tokens).
• May only be bought once per turn.
• Almost anything else (except mechanics reserved for other expansions).

The winner from the first Event contest:

Quote from: scott_pilgrim
Odyssey

The player to your left moves your +1 Card and +1 Action tokens to an Action Supply pile (when you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Card, +1 Action).

$4      Event

Keep in mind that voters may want something that fills a different niche this time around.

Submissions are due by the end of Monday, 2016-03-21.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:57:54 pm by mith »

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 6: Event
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 04:48:59 pm »

The runner-up from the first contest will automatically be included in the preliminary voting. The author of this card is allowed to submit a new card as well. (As is scott_pilgrim, designer of the winning card.)

Border Crossing
Types: Event
Cost: $4
Move your Gaining token to an Action Supply pile (when you buy a card from that pile, you may gain a cheaper card.)

Other cards from the previous contest may be resubmitted as is, tweaked, or discarded in favor of a new concept.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 08:26:38 pm »

Reminder: Deadline is Monday!

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:38:42 am »

I'll get the voting started tomorrow sometime; I'll take submissions until I do.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:46 pm »

I'm excited!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 05:32:52 pm »

Having some stupid problem with google drive today, might not be posted til tomorrow.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 06:57:16 pm »
+1

Ooooh :( Goodluck!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 06:55:52 pm »

Mith is online and there are two members viewing this topic. I'm hopeful!

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 07:00:17 pm »

You should be very hopeful. He is currently posting in this topic...

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=who

/stalking

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 07:07:08 pm »

You should be very hopeful. He is currently posting in this topic...

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=who

/stalking
Saving this link for later!

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 07:31:31 pm »
+2

Bonanza
Cost: $30
Gain the remaining victory cards in the supply.

Border Crossing
Move your Gaining token to an Action Supply pile (when you buy a card from that pile, you may gain a cheaper card.)

Campaign
Cost: $0
+1 Buy

Once per game, if you did not buy any victory cards this turn, take another turn after this one. You may not buy any victory cards for the rest of this turn.

Clarification: You may not buy any victory cards the turn you buy this event but any cards during the additional turn.

Cobbler
Cost: $1
+1 Buy
Gain a silver to your hand. Each other player may gain a silver.

Coronation
Cost: $8
Once per game: Move your Crown token to an action supply pile costing up to $4. (When you play a card from that pile from your hand, after you resolve it, play it again.)

Clarification: When you play it again, it's already in play, so the event's effect doesn't happen again. For the same reason, you only get one extra play if you use Throne Room, King's Court, Procession or Disciple to play the card; and none if you use Golem, Herald or Prince. (Procession and Disciple say to "Play an Action card from your hand twice", but for the purposes of this card that's "Play [an Action card from your hand] twice", not "[Play an Action card from your hand] twice", as the card does not return to your hand.)

Crop Rotation
Cost: $2
+1 Buy
Once per turn: +1 Card, then each player passes a card from his hand to the left at once, then put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

Disaster
Once per turn: Trash the top 3 cards of any non-Victory Supply pile.
Flip your Pest token face up (It starts face down).

Pest token: When you would gain a Victory card, gain nothing instead. When you buy a non-Victory Action card, flip this face down

Drinking Song
+1 Buy
Choose one: Put a card from your hand onto your Tavern mat; or put any number of cards from your Tavern mat on top of your deck.

Epic
Cost: $5
Move your Epic token to an Action Supply pile. When you play a card from that pile, instead of resolving its normal effects, you may instead receive +1 Card and +2 Actions.

Invent
+1 Buy
Once per turn: Flip your Journey Token over. If it's face up, +$3

Lodger
Once per game: Move your -1 VP token and your +2 cards token to an Action Supply Pile (when you play a card from that pile, you first get +2 cards). At the end of the game cards in your deck from the Action Supply Pile with the -1 VP token are worth 1 VP less than they would be otherwise.

Reconstruction
+1 Buy
You lose your remaining actions (actions, not action cards).
Discard a card from your hand with a cost higher than $0. If you do, turn your Journey token up (it starts face up). If it's face up: +1 Action.
Return to your action phase.

Recruit
The player to your left names two cards. Gain a card costing up to $6 that he did not name.

Reserves
Move your Attack token to an Action Supply pile (when you play a card from that pile first each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes one that costs between $2 and $5 and discards the rest. If a card worth $4 or more is trashed, move your attack token to a different Action Supply pile.)

Sabotage
Pay the cost of an action card in the supply to place it under the Sabotage event. When any player plays a card from this card's supply pile they discard a card.

Salvage Yard
Discard any number of cards from your hand. Gain a card from the trash costing up to $2 per card you discarded.

Siege
Once per game: Put your Contraband token to an Action Supply pile which contains ten cards. When another plays a card from that pile, the player to its left names a card which can not be bought this turn.

Stronghold
Cost: $12
Set aside an action supply card putting your Province token on it. All copies you own are worth 6 Victory Points. When all copies of that card run out, the game ends at the end of the active players turn.

Clarification: You own the copy of the card you set aside.

Tollhouse
Cost: $1*
+1 Buy
Move your Pass token to Tollhouse.

In games containing Tollhouse, whenever you shuffle your deck: If your Pass token is on Tollhouse, remove it; otherwise, gain a Curse and a Copper and move your Pass token to Tollhouse.

This costs $1 more per empty Supply pile.

Setup: Add an extra Event costing $0 or $1 to the available Event cards.

Decree
Cost: $3
+1 Buy.
Move your Decree token to an Action Supply pile. Directly after resolving a copy of that Action, you may remove your Decree token from its Supply pile and play it again.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:59:44 pm by mith »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 07:41:31 pm »

Not a fan of the cards with new tokens, except border crossing. I don't like the expensive events, and Bonanza looks like it came from the RBCI thread. The ones I do like are:
Border Crossing, Cobbler, Coronation, Invent, and Recruit.
A lot of intriguing concepts, but not very many seem like they would be delivered properly.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 09:19:58 pm »

Insightful comment time!

Bonanza
I think this is a troll event. Sorry if it isn't, but this reads: "pay $30 and win the game."

Border Crossing
It feels like I've seen this before! I still like it, but maybe it should cost five. Concept is on point though.
Campaign
+1 Buy

Once per game, if you did not buy any victory cards this turn, take another turn after this one. You may not buy any victory cards for the rest of this turn.

Clarification: You may not buy any victory cards the turn you buy this event but any cards during the additional turn.
A 'once per game' event just seems lackluster.
Cobbler
+1 Buy
No, sorry. You can't play that Silver the turn you gain it, so it provides no benefit to you that your opponent doesn't get.
Coronation
Once per game: Move your Crown token to an action supply pile costing up to $4. (When you play a card from that pile from your hand, after you resolve it, play it again.)

Clarification: When you play it again, it's already in play, so the event's effect doesn't happen again. For the same reason, you only get one extra play if you use Throne Room, King's Court, Procession or Disciple to play the card; and none if you use Golem, Herald or Prince. (Procession and Disciple say to "Play an Action card from your hand twice", but for the purposes of this card that's "Play [an Action card from your hand] twice", not "[Play an Action card from your hand] twice", as the card does not return to your hand.)
Hmmmmm, I think this is usually better than Pathfinding. On a Smithy, for example, you end up with a 10 card hand. With Pathfinding on a Smithy, you get up to eight cards in hand. I'd maybe like to see this with a cost changing mechanic, like 'this costs $1 per every non-empty supply pile.'

Crop Rotation
+1 Buy
Once per turn: +1 Card, then each player passes a card from his hand to the left at once, then put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
I think this is too weak. It's good for topdecking dead-drawn actions, but passing seems unnecessary.

Disaster

Pest token: When you would gain a Victory card, gain nothing instead. When you buy a non-Victory Action card, flip this face down
I'm sorry, but I don't like this. Trashing from the supply doesn't appeal to me, and not being able to buy Victory cards is even less appealing.

Drinking Song
+1 Buy
Choose one: Put a card from your hand onto your Tavern mat; or put any number of cards from your Tavern mat on top of your deck.
This is a better version of Crop Harvest in my opinion. I like it.

Epic
Move your Epic token to an Action Supply pile. When you play a card from that pile, instead of resolving its normal effects, you may instead receive +1 Card and +2 Actions.
This seems maybe a bit too powerful. Stick it on Poor House or Poor House or a trasher that you might want not to always trash with. Quite versatile, but maybe too powerful.

Invent
Flip your Journey Token over. If it's face up, +$3
I'd prefer this with either a 'once per turn' clause or a '+1 buy' and 'once per turn' clause. I do like the investment type of thing though.

Lodger
Once per game: Move your -1 VP token and your +2 cards token to an Action Supply Pile (when you play a card from that pile, you first get +2 cards). At the end of the game cards in your deck from the Action Supply Pile with the -1 VP token are worth 1 VP less than they would be otherwise.
This is really powerful, and adds two tokens. Turn Village into Lost City+ with a tiny drawback! Maybe add a current token like +1 card or +1 coin or something.

Reconstruction
+1 Buy
Discard a card from your hand with a cost higher than $0. If you do, turn your Journey token up (it starts face up). If it's face up: +1 Action.
I've never liked returning to your action phase. Sorry event designer.

Recruit
The player to your left names two cards. Gain a card costing up to $6 that he did not name.
I like this!

Reserves
Move your Attack token to an Action Supply pile (when you play a card from that pile first each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes one that costs between $2 and $5 and discards the rest. If a card worth $4 or more is trashed, move your attack token to a different Action Supply pile.)
Ugh, a trashing attack. I mean, just move this back and forth between your Village variant and Smithy variant. At least it heavily discourages Big Money, because they can avoid Golds and trash your Silvers forever with their cantrip.

Sabotage
Pay the cost of an action card in the supply to place it under the Sabotage event. When any player plays a card from this card's supply pile they discard a card.
This shuts down cantrips though!

Salvage Yard
Discard any number of cards from your hand. Gain a card from the trash costing up to $2 per card you discarded.
This relies on the trash, which is sort of okay. It's dead without TFB though, so that sort of sucks.

Siege
Once per game: Put your Contraband token to an Action Supply pile which contains ten cards. When another plays a card from that pile, the player to its left names a card which can not be bought this turn.
This relies on hitting five early. If you open 5/2 though, slap this on Fish Vil and ruin the engine.

Stronghold
Set aside an action supply card putting your Province token on it. All copies you own are worth 6 Victory Points. When all copies of that card run out, the game ends at the end of the active players turn.

W-what? Pay $12 for $3 Provinces that do stuff?

Tollhouse
+1 Buy

In games containing Tollhouse, whenever you shuffle your deck: If your Pass token is on Tollhouse, remove it; otherwise, gain a Curse and a Copper and move your Pass token to Tollhouse.

I just do not understand this card. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:14:07 pm by Roadrunner7671 »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 6: Event (Voting!)
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 09:20:12 pm »

Augh! Quoting sucks!

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 09:56:00 pm »

Gah, sorry, two issues with the submissions. One, we had enough this time to push one to the second page of my inbox label, and it got left out. I also failed to copy all of another one. Fixing now!

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 10:00:53 pm »

Ok, fixed. Decree is the missing card, and Invent is the one that changed.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 11:18:21 pm »

I like the idea behind Siege. I just wished it would allow you to put the token on any action-supply pile. I don't see why the pile must have 10 cards on it when you buy Siege.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 12:15:19 am »
+1

I like the idea behind Siege. I just wished it would allow you to put the token on any action-supply pile. I don't see why the pile must have 10 cards on it when you buy Siege.

If you could use it on any pile, it becomes way too easy to punish another player after they've started building.  Even having 2-3 of something turned into contraband like that can be crippling.  Siege then becomes this oppressive event that that really discourages you from pursuing any action-based strategy.  And if nobody risks buying any action cards, nobody will buy the event either.  It's just toxic and removes options.

I don't think the current version works so well either, but I need to think about it some more.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 01:20:53 am »

If you could use it on any pile, it becomes way too easy to punish another player after they've started building.  Even having 2-3 of something turned into contraband like that can be crippling.  Siege then becomes this oppressive event that that really discourages you from pursuing any action-based strategy.  And if nobody risks buying any action cards, nobody will buy the event either.  It's just toxic and removes options.

I don't think the current version works so well either, but I need to think about it some more.

You may have a point. But there is also strategy playing around Siege with my suggestion. Though. It almost reads in its current form "veto this card"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:22:27 am by Beyond Awesome »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 02:31:47 am »

initial reactions:

Bonanza: ugh

Border Crossing: nice

Campaign: Might be okay, but it shouldn't cost 0.
As for Roadrunner's reaction to it: um, Inheritance? It's my favorite event and should be yours too since it's one of the best Scout synergies.

Cobbler: blah

Coronation: don't like it

Crop Rotation: An event masquerade, coool.

Disaster: no

Drinking Song: Should use a separate mat from reserve cards (which would call for another name), but otherwise might be okay. Maybe could cost $1 except that it's too similar to Save.

Epic: I kinda like it, but it should probably cost more. Also, don't like the name for this.

Invent: kinda cool.

Lodger: nope

Reconstruction: The 'return to the action' phase thing doesn't really appeal to me. I'd be willing to consider it, but I think in order to be worthwhile it'd have to draw cards. Also, think it's more complicated than it needs to be. Remove the journey token part and/or the discard and make it cost more.

Recruit: Why not say "the player to your left chooses an action or treasure costing $5 or $6. Gain the chosen card"?  I think it might be better that way. heavily board-dependant either way.

Reserves: yuk.

Sabotage: I don't think I like it. and it needs some explaination. Does the first card return to the supply if Sabotage is bought a 2nd time?  or does it stack?

Siege: oough

Stronghold: ick

Tollhouse: eww

Decree: I like it. (I'd probably remove the +buy and cost it at $2.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 07:19:54 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 03:20:54 am »

I skipped the first Event contest, but I managed to come up with something for this one.

Bonanza

First to $30 probably wins the game.  2p with no alt VP, there are 80 points in the supply.  To lock in 40, you need 7 Provinces, or 6 Provinces + Duchy + Estate, or 5 Provinces + 3 Duchies + Estate... If any alt VP is available, it's even more likely that $30 will buy the win with this event.

I'm not opposed to the general idea, but I'm not sure about this one at all.

Border Crossing

Still sounds OK to me.

Campaign
+1 Buy

The clarification is poorly written... I'm guessing it's supposed to say, "but you may buy any cards during the additional turn".

This sounds really interesting.  It's free and even comes with +Buy so you can trigger it whenever you want, but you only get it once.  Do you use it while you're building, or do you save it for a clutch mulligan when greening?

My only concern is that it might be optimal on most boards to use it immediately on your first or second turn to increase your overall tempo.  Theoretically, this just shifts up all your future turns so it makes no difference whether you use it early or late...

Cobbler
+1 Buy

Gaining a Silver to your hand is practically worthless.  If you're already buying stuff, you can no longer play more Treasure.  If you could play the Silver, then this Event has an entirely different problem -- with just $1, you would be able to empty the entire Silver pile.  And as first player, this is probably in your best interest.  You'd probably be hitting Province every single turn from turn 3 onward.

But yeah, Silver in hand does nothing for you outside of some edge cases.

Coronation

The effect as intended could be cool, but I don't know if it's worth the complexity.  I'm reminded of the playtesting story about how various tokens used to be able to go on kingdom cards in general, but were changed to only go on actions because people just didn't know what "kingdom cards" refers to.  This seems like it would be even tougher to get right.

Crop Rotation
+1 Buy

The passing effect is usually neutral, but the trick is that you can choose the timing.  So you can just save it for when you have a Curse in hand or something.  You can also use it to save a card in hand for the next turn, but Save is both cheaper and better for that.  Overall this seems fine, but I'd rather let Masquerade have its unique gimmick.

Disaster

So the Victory card blocking is only when it's face up, right?  This should be reworded to match the wording of the -$1 token.

I like it.  Powerful pile control at a significant cost.  Only concern: it should be reworded to move cards to the trash, rather than trashing them.  It makes a huge difference for cards with on-trash effects.  Just consider what this does with Fortress, Squire, Catacombs, Hunting Grounds...

Drinking Song
+1 Buy

The simplest use of this card would be as an instant Island.  You can hide away Estates early and other VP later.  Not sure if that's too powerful, but it's available to everybody at basically all times so it sounds OK to me.  It will change the pace of the game a little and add interesting decisions of when to do it or when to put it off.  If it's too powerful an effect, it would be easy to add a "non-Victory card" restriction.

It also interacts with Reserve cards.  The notable one is Wine Merchant -- the $2 cost to retrieve Wine Merchant is the same, but with this event you can topdeck them.  If you have Champion or Lost Arts, it can become a sort of Golden Deck (probably still harder to pull off than most others).  With other Reserves, you can get them onto your mat without having to play them first, which may matter sometimes.  You can also put Copper onto the mat to buff Miser faster.

The most interesting use is as a controlled Native Village.  You can decide what to save on your mat and when to retrieve key pieces.  That should have many interesting use cases, but the one that stands out most is putting together combo pieces, whether that's Prince and a specific target or a 5 card game-ender like KC-Bridge.  Others will be able to see it building up too, so it's not just a surprise game-end.

Might be better if it cost $1 but without +1 Buy?  That would encourage slow but consistent use... but maybe then it's too easy to just island VP.  Or maybe it should cost $3?  I'm not sure.  But a more controlled NV is always a concept I enjoy, and I can see this being used in many different ways.

Epic

The name doesn't work for me, but it is very powerful.  I'm pretty sure it's too powerful for just $5.  But at any cost, it doesn't sound particularly fun to me.  Turning key cards or cheap cards into optional villages seems like it would trivialize engine building.

Invent
+1 Buy
Once per turn: Flip your Journey Token over. If it's face up, +$3

I'd suggest making it once per turn and giving it +1 Buy.  As it is, if the board has no +Buy and no other Journey token card, this is entirely useless.

Lo and behold, the correct version of this submission does what I suggested. :P  OK, like this, I think it's a nice, simple event.

The trick with this card is that it'll be a net positive even if you buy it every turn, but sometimes it'll be better for you not to give up the $1 when you could buy something better, and sometimes it'll be better to wait on getting the net +$2 until you really need it.  Deciding when to wait is an interesting decision that will come up multiple times in a game.  I highly approve.

Lodger

I think this is far stronger than Pathfinding despite being half the cost.  -1 VP is not a huge penalty.  In most games, you are happy to give up multiple VP to make your deck stronger -- it's called Estate trashing!  Curses are bad because they are junk, but Lodger-ified cards are very much not junk.  This turns any non-terminal into a Lab, which is just ridiculous. 

Reconstruction
+1 Buy

The effect is just not worth the rules confusion that comes with "return to the Action phase".  Coin of the Realm already delivers a similar effect in a much better way.

Recruit

I like the general idea.  My first concern is that this is going to be an automatic buy too often.  There are usually at least two key $5s, and there's Gold.  Even if there are only two worthwhile $5+ cards, you can still safely buy this event.  Worst case, you just gain the $4 card you would have bought otherwise.

Maybe that's not so bad?  If there are at least 3 cards you want, it's a constant mini-game for your opponent to guess which 2 are best for you and to block those.  But my second concern is that this will drastically slow down the game as you always buy this and wait for another player to basically make a decision for you.  Overall, I don't know.

Reserves

This should be renamed so as not to cause confusion with the Reserve type.

I'm really not a fan.  I really think that the tokens should be simple effects.  The most complicated one in Adventures is the trashing token, and that's still straightforward.  The others are the -$2 and the 4 vanilla bonuses.  The effect of this Attack token is complicated enough to be an official card of its own... and in fact, it basically does already exist with Rogue and the Knights.

Sabotage

I think this needs more of a limit.  As it is, it seems too easy to punish players who build engines.  Again, I think this would remove options (and thus remove fun) rather than opening up new ones.

Salvage Yard

The effect is interesting and uncommon on official cards, but useless if there isn't TfB or a trashing attack in the kingdom.  What are the chances of this Event being chosen along with TfB?  I'm not sure it's worth the card slot...

Siege

As with Reserves above, this effect is too complicated to be a token IMO... and also like Reserves, it already exists -- as Contraband.  But I understand the desire to see that effect more often, and in a way that actually impacts the game, since Contraband is rarely bought.  So, here's a way to force it onto other players!

I commented earlier on why I think it's restricted to full piles.  If you can just use it on anything, it will scare people away from ever building, lest a single $5 buy cripple their entire deck.

But I don't think this tempered version works either.  It's a significant opportunity cost to buy this, and then the other players are in a fine place to adjust their strategy and avoid buying the Contraband-ified card.  It's only really interesting if you use it on a card that they clearly want but haven't bought yet (e.g.  they open with a strong trasher, indicating engine, and then you hit Village before they buy any).

Maybe if it was something like, "8+ cards remaining in the pile"?  But even that can be oppressive.  Worse, it can get very political.

Here are my suggested changes:

- Make it cheaper and maybe add +1 Buy to lower opportunity cost.
- Have it actually give other players a copy of the card.  Now it's either a dead card in their deck or they actually try to play around the Contraband effect.
- Clarify what happens if multiple other players have their token on the same card.  As written, if two other players have hit the same card and I play it, the player to my left bans two cards.  That doesn't sound like a good thing to me.  (This is not necessary if it gives out copies while keeping the full pile requirement.)

I think the general idea could work, but it would need many changes.

Stronghold

I don't think this can be balanced at any cost.  If it can be, it's going to to be a lot higher than $12.

Tollhouse
+1 Buy

The idea is neat.  I like that it (potentially) adds an interesting decision to every shuffle.  Can you find an extra $1 to spare each shuffle to avoid this penalty?  In practice, it's probably pretty easy to do.

I don't think there is physically enough space on an Event to fit all this text.  Events only have space for 3 lines.  This will have +1 Buy on one line, and then there is more text than Pilgrimage (which already takes up all available space without a line for +Buy).  It's just not going to work.

I don't like the increasing cost per empty pile.  I understand the reasoning -- later in the game, shuffles are longer and it's much easier to find $1 to spare, so the change would hopefully keep the pressure on.  But it doesn't matter enough to be worth the text space... which isn't even available.

The setup clause is even less necessary.  I guess the reason is to provide players with something else to do if paying the $1 breaks the bank... but why make an event that increases pressure and then include a clause that alleviates it?  But it's moot because, again, there is literally not enough space on the card for this.

So, I like the idea, but it really needs to be heavily streamlined.

Decree
Cost: $3
+1 Buy.
Move your Decree token to an Action Supply pile. Directly after resolving a copy of that Action, you may remove your Decree token from its Supply pile and play it again.

Not compelling since Adventures already has Royal Carriage.  This is less flexible and needs to be bought again to be reused.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 04:04:39 am »

Tollhouse was especially bad, but I decided to go back and check the others.  Events max out at 3 lines of text.  Vanilla bonuses (always +Buy on the official events) take up one line on their own.

Campaign looks like it will be 4 lines.  It might be possible to phrase it more succinctly.

Disaster is OK, assuming that the Pest token explanation is not on the Event itself.  Otherwise it's 4 lines, maybe more.

Drinking Song looks like it is just barely 4 lines.  If there isn't a way to cut down a couple words (or use a slightly smaller font), losing the +1 Buy and costing it at $1 might be a fine fix.

Lodger, Reconstruction and Reserves are about 5 lines of text each.

Siege is sitting at about 4 lines, but I'm pretty sure it can be pared down to 3.

Stronghold is at 4 as well.

Tollhouse is at a whopping 7 lines, and that's being generous and without counting dividing lines, of which there should probably be THREE.  There's the on-buy effect, the "in games using this" text, the cost-changing text and the setup text.  Drop the +Buy and the setup clause, it could be down to 4 lines of text plus dividing line... still too much.

To be fair, I know some people think that this is a bit nitpicky and that you shouldn't let your creativity be constrained by such pesky stuff as card space, but I firmly believe that it's an important consideration for card design.  If your text won't fit on the card, you're probably either trying to do too much or you need to do some streamlining.  The ones above that are 4 lines long are OK with me, because it shouldn't be too difficult to cut them down a bit.  More than that is too much though.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 12:36:00 pm »

I found a problem with Drinking Song :(

Just get a hand of 3 Golds a Copper and a Province and you have a golden deck. Every game.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:47:13 pm by Roadrunner7671 »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 12:43:09 pm »

I found a problem with Drinking Song :(

Just get a hand of 3 Golds a Copper and your trasher and you have a golden deck. Every game.

Is that really a problem?  That's basically how Bishop golden deck works too.  Bishop retains fewer points per Province but doesn't need a third Gold, plus gets extra points while you're building to Golden Deck.  Drinking Song seems weaker for that purpose.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:44:45 pm by eHalcyon »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 12:16:54 am »

Discussion is awfully quiet...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.