Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dark Dynasty  (Read 4253 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Dark Dynasty
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:21:44 pm »
+2

Hi everyone,

I considered putting this in advertisements but I decided against it; I'm not telling you to buy my game, I'm asking for feedback.
Over the last few moths I have been working on a party game called Dark Dynasty. I've been tweaking it quite a bit, but before I start to playtest, I want to see if I missed anything big or did something in a 'bad way.' I'm also worried that it's too complicated, seeing as it's a party game.

I've been playing quite a bit of Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, and I've noticed several flaws with the game. I've set out to make a game similar to it, but better. There are many more qualified people who could do this, but they all have day jobs.

The premises of my game are pretty simple: The citizens must protect their lives and their city itself against many threats. I've called this game Dark Dynasty, that should change in the future.

This game would be different from Mafia and Werewolves because it brings forth a town. Each person has a role card as well as their house card, which is where they live and it generates status points for them (depending on how good their house is). No one knows what type of house you have, so the marauders and orcs can't just attack all the mansions and ignore the shacks.

There are also currencies: Some sort of dollar (probably gold pieces) and status points. Your profession and your house can give you status points, and they are used for purchasing land and workers of any kind.

The gold pieces are used to purchase goods and services, which can give you more gold over time, protection from kills at night, status points, and more.

There are also roles that can destroy buildings, which passively kills anyone inside. But these roles are not limited to just houses, there are other buildings as well (a lawyer would add a courthouse, a blacksmith would add a forge, etc.). These buildings are required to perform any night action, and if they get destroyed, you're out of luck.

Land, laborers and additional buildings can also be purchased, but we won't dive too far into that.

Finally, the roles are much more diverse. Each player can have an individual role, and there are endless possibilities to the different setups. I am also planning on designing expansions for fun, because there is a lot of design space left over, and a lot of good ideas that I don't want to throw away.

Does this game seem similar to a game you've played? The ones that come to mind are mainly Werewolves, Mafia, Dominion and Magic the Gathering. Is this too similar? Is it too complicated? Any feedback is appreciated, but I'm not planning on releasing this into the market until the summer, if ever. 
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:51:21 am »

If you haven't playtested it yet, you shouldn't even be thinking about market for quite a while.

It does sound a bit complex for a party game, but then games like this aren't really my thing anyway.  You could try to run a game of it on the forum though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 03:40:51 am »
+1

You should definitely run the whole thing as an RMM game here. That will be one of the better ways to get feedback.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 08:09:20 am »
+1

I'd be up for playtesting it.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 11:08:53 am »

My Through the Ages game is complete, so I may be able to do some playtesting as a forum game.

On the surface, it does sound more complex than the typical Mafia/Werewolf game. I admittedly am really inexperienced in that type of game, so maybe I'm speaking out my ass here.

I'm not sure that being more complex is necessarily a bad thing. I think it would lock out the super-casual players who just sit around on couches and play. Sounds like a dozen people sitting around a table would be a pretty good setting for this.
A man has no signature

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 11:11:08 am »
+1

I would definitely playtest by forum

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 11:56:25 am »

I've encountered a problem that hopefully has an easy solution: During the beginning of the day phase, each person gets their gold pieces for their job and their status points.

Will the moderator have to know everyone's role in order to give them the proper amount of currency?

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 12:04:40 pm »

I've encountered a problem that hopefully has an easy solution: During the beginning of the day phase, each person gets their gold pieces for their job and their status points.

Will the moderator have to know everyone's role in order to give them the proper amount of currency?

Sounds like yes?  Would the moderator not know their role?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:10:12 pm »

In Werewolves, the moderator doesn't know the role of anyone without a night action.

I suppose that'll be fine, but the moderator would need to stack the role cards or look at them all during D1 or something.

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:12:42 pm »
+1

In Werewolves, the moderator doesn't know the role of anyone without a night action.

I suppose that'll be fine, but the moderator would need to stack the role cards or look at them all during D1 or something.

You could do that by sticking out thumbs perhaps?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 12:13:21 pm »

You could do that by sticking out thumbs perhaps?
How so?

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 12:15:26 pm »
+1

I'm not entirely sure about the mechanics, but you could say, if you are a "this", stick out your thumb.  Then the moderator would know who is a "this".  It might just be easier to look at everyone's cards though...  Although if it is too much to remember, a moderator will be unable to remember everything and might get confused.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 02:28:12 pm »
+2

I can't stop reading "Duck Dynasty" :(

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 02:29:44 pm »

same here

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 02:29:58 pm »

"Darkwing Duck" and "Duck Dodgers" also come to mind.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 03:00:01 pm »

That's something to consider as well.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 04:18:26 pm »

I'm not entirely sure about the mechanics, but you could say, if you are a "this", stick out your thumb.  Then the moderator would know who is a "this".  It might just be easier to look at everyone's cards though...  Although if it is too much to remember, a moderator will be unable to remember everything and might get confused.
Seeing as we're already trusting people to keep their eyes shut during night, do you think they could be trusted to help themselves to the proper amount of money as seen as their cards?

If they cheated, this would probably be easy to catch, too. "Hey, you're buying a Mansion on the second day?"

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 04:47:43 pm »

One thing I did when I made a similar-ish hidden roles game (it was a one-shot game, fun but not really replayable, kind of near a Murder Mystery thing) was to give every player a pre-filled, randomized envelope containing their role card, items, and starting money. This is easier because there's no periodic income. If the game lasted few turns (like, 3), or if it only had few "income moments" you could include a three turn income in the envelope, in three different flavors (ancient coins, dollars, and cybercredits), and say that turn 1 only ancient coins can be used, t2 ancient coins and dollars, and turn three any form of currency.
I have the feeling that this won't help much.
The easiest alternatives are to make income public, or (as in my example) to give a flat starting fortune according to their role.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 01:56:03 am »

"Darkwing Duck" and "Duck Dodgers" also come to mind.

When there's trouble, you call....

DW.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 11:29:03 pm »

I did a thing! But I'm worried I could've explained the game better.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14950.msg577807#msg577807
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.