Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Plan  (Read 18987 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Plan
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 12:43:43 pm »

Had anyone ever bought Plan more than once in a turn?

Why would anybody do that?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 12:46:35 pm »
+2

You have four buys, 18 coins, two useless Estates in hand and a strong desire to buy exactly one King's Court and one Wharf.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 12:52:09 pm »
+1

You have four buys, 18 coins, two useless Estates in hand and a strong desire to buy exactly one King's Court and one Wharf.

I'd buy two Wharves/KC over Plan twice, easily.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 01:00:32 pm »

Plan has some interesting opportunity-cost math.

Most trash-one instances are underwhelming (Raze, Trade Route, Forager) which don't tend to create lean, mean decks compared to the multi-trashers (Steward, Remake, Chapel) which can thin decks down to practically nothing. Plan is somewhere in between.

This event looks like a trash-one at first, but it compares surprisingly favorably to cards like Remake: You open Remake, [whatever] and then shuffle. You aren't playing Remake every turn, you're playing it roughly every OTHER turn, once per shuffle, so you're essentially alternating between trashing two (and maybe gaining one or having enough money left to buy something) and trashing none/buying one. So it averages out to be trash one/buy one every turn.

When you Plan, you're also buying one and trashing one every turn, provided you want a lot of whatever you're buying. It doesn't reduce your deck size, but if you're buying a cantrip, it's effectively reducing your deck size by one. Plus it starts trashing turn 2 instead of 3/4.

If you're not playing a one-card strategy, however, then you have to start buying other things and it stops working. Moving the Plan token usually isn't an efficient use of buys/turns. On the other hand, it also doesn't end up as a dead card in your hand as happens with many trashers once you start drawing it only with cards you want to keep.

So buy Plan if you're building something that doesn't require thinning your deck of all of your starting cards, but could benefit significantly from thinning as you build.

I think a Village/Smithy engine variants can benefit a lot from Plan. These decks require lots of certain components but can get away without having all starting cards trashed. Plus, Plan l's gradual trashing is more suited for Village/Smithy variants that tend to like having early economy to get the engine components as opposed to what you get with aggressive trashing like you get with Chapel or Steward.

Also, I don't agree that Forager in particular doesn't tend to lead to thin, mean decks. Being non-terminal lets a player safely get like 3 Foragers that trash while bringing extra utility in the form of coin and buy. Later they can just trash themselves. Not a card to be underestimated by any means.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 01:01:18 pm »

I'd buy two Wharves/KC over Plan twice, easily.

There is only one Wharf left in the supply.

EDGECASE

But yeah, I'd expect there to be something better to do than buy Plan twice in a turn.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 10:40:46 pm »
+4

Has anyone ever bought Plan more than once in a game? It just doesn't seem like something you'd do often.

Unless, you know, you didn't... plan.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2016, 01:09:18 pm »

Has anyone ever bought Plan more than once in a game? It just doesn't seem like something you'd do often.

Why not? If you plan to buy embargoes but the embargo pile runs out, maybe you need a new plan to deal with all those embargo tokens.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2016, 12:08:13 pm »

If you open $4/$3 and your opponent opens $3/$4 on a Tournament/Plan board with no trashing, that would suck.
Just buy Nomad Camp/Mountebank. :)
Better yet, buy Travelling Fair + Squire on turn 1.  On turn 2, play Squire and gain Silver (optionally), buy Bonfire to trash Squire and Copper and gain Goons!

That's freaking OP!

Or, you know, just buy Goons on turn 1 using your Baker token.

Besides you can always buy Mission on T1, then Ferry onto Goons. On T2 you can then use your Baker coin and Borrow to turn all your Estates into *3* Goons via Inheritance =)

Of course the Minion and Margrave options are likely more overpowered still, but hey.

Yep. Plan on Familiar, plan on village. If you have a steady stream of curses coming in then you very often want to swap from one massed card to another if you can. Familiar is one of those cards that you will buy a lot (particularly if you are not buying many other actions), but you reach a point where a spare $3 should move the token to some other card you intend to mass, e.g. Bazaar, Kc, Market. In a curse game you often want to trash at least 10 cards and you may want both the early trashing on an early card (like Familiar) and on a later card.

As far as more than once per turn, sure the obvious option is triggering on-trash stuff with emptying piles. E.g. Plan (move to Island), buy last Island, trash Hgrounds (gain EEE), plan (move to Nobles), buy last Nobles, trash Hgrounds (gain EEE). Game ends on Nobles, Islands, and Estates. On trash effects have many, many ways that allow you to edge case needing to spend $6 & 2 buys to trash two cards.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.