Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DOMINION + Magic the Gathering - Idea  (Read 1935 times)

Coinside

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
DOMINION + Magic the Gathering - Idea
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:42:32 am »

Greetings from Germany,

i´am not the first one who has the idea to combine DOMINION with Magic the Gathering for sure. However I tried it. I have that idea, that every player has 20 living points and can decide playing the strategy of gaining points and provinces or attack the other players till they have 0 points. So players can play different styles, more defending, more aggressive..etc. At the start everyone has some mana-cards (green, white etc…) and the normal 10-hand startcards. Mana can buy etc…this is just an idea. Perhaps you have different ideas or..whatever..it just should be a way of brainstorming. Here I have 3 card versions. (Sorry for my bad english here).
The cards are in german but its not so necessary what is written on it, perhaps you can imagine what it means.

Coinside.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Re: DOMINION + Magic the Gathering - Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:19:16 am »

You might wanna provide more info about your concrete suggestion. I also think that you might wanna clarify on whether you want this to be a CCG with meta-game deckbuilding or a Dominion-esque deckbuilder with in-game deckbuilding. Because the latter isn't so much Magic+Dominion as a PvP deckbuilder like Star Realms. As Star Realms doesn't feature Actions and Buys (you have an infinite number of them) it could be interesting to do a more complex version.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:21:40 am by tristan »

Coinside

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 03:38:09 am »

Thank you for your response.

Ok I will try to explain it a bit better:

Additional to the other cards, there are the mana cards on the supply. 1 mana costs 2 copper for example.

At the start every player gets 7 copper, 3 estates and 2 mana cards of his colour.

“MtG-Dominion cards” can be bought from the supply. In this case “Flammender Äther”: 4 $.

In the action phase this card may played as an action card. In this case, the player has 1 action and the possibility to say, - if he pays 2 $ and 2 black mana- that he attacks one of his enemy-player with “3 attack” as you can see on it. If the enemy has no defending card, he has not 20 lifepoints now he has 17. He can defend it, if he plays the “Waldharpye”-card. This card has 4 defending points, so the card “Flammender Äther” doesn´t work.

The game ends, if the provinces are out or the enemy has 0 living points.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 04:25:50 am »

Sounds like a cool idea. Probably quite tricky to playtest as there are so many paramaters.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 05:12:28 am »

So what's the point of attacking? Just another way to end the game? It would seem pretty much a waste of time to attack your opponent instead of just gaining VP. Or does a person who hits 0 life automatically lose? If so, it seems pretty swingy and also tough to balance. If I dealt 19 points of damage and bought no victory cards, I'd lose, but if I dealt that 20th point, I'd win no matter how many VP my opponent has. It seems like you should either pursue a Magic strategy and attack, or a Dominion strategy and get VP, but I don't see why you'd want to try to do both.

This might be balanced a little better by making each remaining life point worth 1VP at the end of the game. That way, attacking still does something even if you don't kill your opponent by getting him to 0 life.

Coinside

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 05:51:43 am »

BadAssMutha thats a great idea! Perhaps that´s really better what you said with the Vp´s. I thought, that –even what cards are in the supply – every player can follow his own strategy to win this game. He can  try to get as much points as possible and has
simultaneously look at his enemy what he is playing. Perhaps he has to change his strategy during the game. So he should buy more defending cards if the enemy goes only on attack.

Instead of: The game ends, if the provinces are out or the enemy has 0 living points, we can say, the winner is, who has the most VP´s. But the game ends when one player has 0 points.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:35:15 am by Coinside »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.