Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2P tournament, Cincinnati, OH. Sat. April 16th, 2016, 1PM. All expansions  (Read 11770 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

So if anyone will be in town the morning before the tournament and wants to do some pregaming (not drinking, but playing games), let me know. There is already a little bit of interest and I want to know how many people could show up while looking for a place to meet. The game store doesn't open until noon.
Any word on where/when this will be?

PM if you're interested in this.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+3

I'm working on getting more details, but Moneymodel won this. If I'm not mistaken, he won every single game he played (so he went 6-0). Well done, sir!

For the curious, I went 1-3 and didn't make the next round of the tournament, but as a result I got to play a wonderful game of Agricola with AHoppy and nana-king. I had a pretty good time, despite my terrible play.

The crowning achievement of my tournament was when I missed a forced win on my turn, then proceeded to lose the game on my opponent's next turn. It was just the best.

Josh (local, winner of my first tournament) got second place. Ben King got third. I think SirSlugma got fourth place, I'd have to double-check the standings though.

Next tournament will be in about 3 months, I'll have to talk to several people to see whether or not it can be before GenCon; we'll see. It will have Empires in it. ;D I probably won't be able to play in any more of my own tournaments anymore, but that's OK. It was a fun experience.

So yeah I'll post kingdoms here, I'll get a hold of the standings, share my thoughts, all that stuff; then back to hiding. I'll post here again once I have more details about the next tournament or to answer questions. And you can always PM me.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile

Was Johnny Manziel there? I mean, I know he got cut by Cleveland, but was AJ McCarron there? Maybe Marvin Lewis? It WAS in Cincinnati. There had to be at least one Bengal down there. Is Moneymodel Mike Nugent?

Oh, never mind. Just realized Adam isn't a sports fan.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:16:22 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
+2

I did indeed get fourth.  I blew a finals spot by completely missing a three-pile thingy, but hey, I had a fun time.  Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and it was a great experience to play various games with y'all. ;D

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+2

can one of you lovely tournament organizers move to New England already, I'm getting tired of reading all these happy posts about great tournaments I don't get to ever play in :(
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
+3

I had a blast at this tournament.  The kingdoms were very interesting (thanks WanderingWinder! for designing/choosing them) and the level of competition was quite high.  I'm actually really looking forward to replaying some of these kingdoms.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+1

can one of you lovely tournament organizers move to New England already, I'm getting tired of reading all these happy posts about great tournaments I don't get to ever play in :(

I found myself faced with your situation a year ago, so I decided to start running my own tournaments. I have some resources to help you out if you should decide you want to run a tournament of your own. PM me if you want them. I think I made a thread somewhere with some of those resources as well.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
+2

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17wEI7t15xuA3p4GbC5PavLIrdOlwliNCZ-AXotR9y0w/edit?usp=sharing

The kingdoms.

I was definitely a huge fan of these. Even when the strategy was fairly clear, there was always some way to refine it. For instance, the fact that on table 2, Plaza is the village in Village/Torturer allows the creation of a double-Tac deck, despite the alternate draw. Table 5 was the first one I played, with nana-king, and while it's definitely City-Bridge, the presence of Armory and Saboteur raise some interesting questions. Someone pointed out Saboteur as a punishment for a player who greens too early.

Table 4, I did Prince of Miser, but it was a struggle because it was tough to lean on Squire and Crossroads for Village-ness, Squire because sometimes you just need it for buys

I had the hardest time vs. Ben, with whom I played Tables 1 and 10. I got this huge smile on my face when I saw Table 1; I've never seen so much green on one board. He and I did almost exactly the same thing, though he got Smugglers and put Lost Arts on Embassy, and I got Bridge and Butcher. Either of us could have won that; I happened to get enough Gardens towards the end before double Silk-Roading for the win. Our difference in Table 10 was that he went for Treasure Trove and I went for Teacher. Teacher was almost too slow, but the +Buy on Peddler and +Card on WM came through in the end. It was a good thing there was Duke on the board, or I don't think I'd have been able to pull it off. Travelling Fair hurt my +Buy advantage, but I was eventually able to use it as well.

Finals game was Table 12. I trashed down much faster than my opponent, even though he went for Marauder. The plan was to Highway Colonies down in cost and then Counterfeit Horns of Plenty to gain them, but that was unnecessary given that a three-pile ending was imminent.

I do wish there had been more of a showing this time around, but I had a blast with those who came!

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile

I was so surprised nobody went for the pin on Board 10.  I really thought moneymodel was building toward it, and then he started doing the Duke/Duchy thing.  But it was a well done comeback nonetheless; I thought he might have been toast once he got a dud hand near the end, but he pulled it out by 2 points, if I recall...

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile

I was so surprised nobody went for the pin on Board 10.  I really thought moneymodel was building toward it, and then he started doing the Duke/Duchy thing.  But it was a well done comeback nonetheless; I thought he might have been toast once he got a dud hand near the end, but he pulled it out by 2 points, if I recall...

Yup, that pin would have been fun useful to pull off. And yeah, both games with Ben were 2-point differences.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.