Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Pilgrimage  (Read 4915 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Pilgrimage
« on: March 08, 2016, 08:20:12 am »
+1

DEUS VULT

-How worth it is this Event?
-How does it interact with the Journey token cards?
-What are the best cards to gain copies of with this?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Pilgrimage
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 08:25:48 am »

This is an absolute beast, in my experience.

It can easily gain cards costing 5 or more.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:34:58 am »

In combination with any other Journey token card it is absolutely nuts.
Engines using Ranger for draw end up being totally ridiculous.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:50:13 am »
+1

I've used this sometimes as "pay 4 and a buy to fix your Ranger play for next turn", which is usually worth it since Ranger itself gives you an extra buy to play with. I wouldn't use it as your primary means of flipping the Ranger token, just as misfire insurance, but maybe $4 and a buy is "cheaper" than the extra terminal space at some point.

It is situationally useful as a mega gainer, works well in boards with several expensive engine components. Border Village, Hunting Grounds, $5 Villages, etc.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:55:28 am »
+1

Or even: play a ranger so you can easily buy this card again.

This event can be eve better than ranger.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:59:59 am »
+1

Or even: play a ranger so you can easily buy this card again.
This.  It gains you plenty of Rangers, so you're happy using a final play of ranger at the end of your turn to make sure you can buy it again.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:18:59 am »

After watching the King's Court Cagematch yesterday, I imagine Pilgrimage being crazy in games like that:  Pay 4, Grab a KC and a Market and a Wharf.  Even if they're wasn't any other way to flip the Journey Token over in the game, I imagine it would worth buying Pilgrimage every turn. 

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 10:10:20 am »

After watching the King's Court Cagematch yesterday, I imagine Pilgrimage being crazy in games like that:  Pay 4, Grab a KC and a Market and a Wharf.  Even if they're wasn't any other way to flip the Journey Token over in the game, I imagine it would worth buying Pilgrimage every turn.

On a board with KC, this sounds very much true.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 10:34:21 am »
+3

I had thoughts in my article. I think it's a very powerful event.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14050.0
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 07:48:57 pm »
+1

It's actually kind of interesting to look at the slightly hidden aspects of the opportunity cost versus the benefit - the total cost is $8 and two Buys split across two turns, for the effect of three gains of relatively unlimited value (essentially restricted only by what you can get into play on the second turn). So on a board with no (or no easily accessible) +Buy but where you're able to reasonably produce $4 on a turn, you can gain engine parts and probably want to even if the combined cost of the cards is $8 or less. Although playing an engine without +Buy is usually questionable in its own right (but I'm sure there are reasons).

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 12:57:08 pm »
+2

playing an engine without +Buy is occasionally usually questionable
FTFY

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 02:46:22 pm »
+1

Pilgrimage is a fantastic gainer. Whether BM or Engine, Pilgrimage should easily be considered. In some simple BM board with Smithy, 'wasting' a turn paying $4 on an off turn around turn 7 could be well worth the later duplicates of Smithy, Gold and Silver (if it's not too slow!). The best time to begin investing in Pilgrimage seems to be the mid-game. It is not worth purchasing $4 on turn 2 or 4 on nothing in most cases. Much better to prime it when the engine is just about to kick off. Speed and efficiency is a tricky balance. Pilgrimage is an accelerator, so if there is nothing in your deck already, there won't be much to accelerate.

There are two different game states I'd consider when thinking about Pilgrimage, the +buy and the no buy. In games with no buy, I would question myself what I am trying to gain, and whether it's worth the investment. In games with buy, it's almost certainly going to be worth it, unless engine sucks for whatever reason.

Using this event purely for flipping the coin is wrong, unless you know you can win if you get off a Ranger or a Giant.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:47:29 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.