Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 343515 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #5225 on: March 31, 2023, 04:59:26 am »

how am I gonna publish anything on lesswrong if the entire forum only cares about AI doom posts?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5226 on: March 31, 2023, 05:07:33 am »

how am I gonna publish anything on lesswrong if the entire forum only cares about AI doom posts?

Either by publishing AI doom posts or by publishing something the forum doesn't care about.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: March 31, 2023, 06:08:58 am »

Either by publishing AI doom posts or by publishing something the forum doesn't care about.

woo helpful! And also wrong! you can make them care about it or wait until the dynamic shifts. Maybe not within a month after GPT-4 came out!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: March 31, 2023, 06:09:33 am »

But it's genuinely a real problem, it used to be that AI is maybe a third of the content or something, right now it feels like it's 80%, and 95% of the highly upvoted stuff

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: March 31, 2023, 06:13:19 am »

Speaking of AI doom, here's Eliezer on Lex Fridman's podcast:

I award severl points to my predictive world model because I was like "uhh lex fridman is gonna not understand the main points and change the topic in really stupid ways" and not only is that what happened, but also at some point eliezer was like "yo your questions are bad can I just take over for now" (but then he only did it briefly and didn't really get to finish his point) and then at the end "I think we didn't get to the important stuff" kind of a bold thing to say to a podcast

A bit exaggerated but not that much. Still interesting stuff but yeah like what did he expect idgi

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: March 31, 2023, 06:32:14 am »

Oh btw. Funny Games. It turns out the universe was trying to do me a favor by letting me download this in two wrong languages but I ignored it and got it in English anyway and I hated it. It gave me something like light PTSD and it doesn't feel justified in any sense. 1/10.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5231 on: March 31, 2023, 07:12:11 am »

Oh btw. Funny Games. It turns out the universe was trying to do me a favor by letting me download this in two wrong languages but I ignored it and got it in English anyway and I hated it. It gave me something like light PTSD and it doesn't feel justified in any sense. 1/10.

Clearly those games, as funny as they were, couldn't hold a candle to the funniest game in the whole entire world.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: March 31, 2023, 07:27:25 am »

Clearly those games, as funny as they were, couldn't hold a candle to the funniest game in the whole entire world.

Idk but definitely [/b] [/color]3 Gardens

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: March 31, 2023, 05:25:02 pm »

Other movies. Not so many great ones lately :(

Spider Man: No Way Home: I thought this was supposed to be good? Man. It was ok for the first 15 minutes, but the setup of the actual plot was unforgivably stupid and I just dropped it. 5/10.

The Ghostwriter: A thriller. Has its moments but kinda unsatisfying after you're done. 5/10.

Cachι. I mean, props for not falling into any typical movie tropes. Didn't feel movie like. But it was also boring ffs. 5/10

Birdman: shot in 15 minutes chunks and filmed to seem continuous. This one was pretty cool. 7/10.

The Sixth Sense. BORING. This was supposed to be really good. Really? Cmon. Also dropped this one halfway through. 5/10.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days. Now *this* movie was awesome. Was super invested the entire time. Very simple story about a woman getting an illegal abortion, but so well done. More like this please, universe. Strong 8/10.

The Man From Earth. YMS sold this as "meh writing meh cinematography meh acting but concept alone carries it". And yeah, the concept is interesting. BUT then it leads to plotholes. With this concept you can't have those. So I again ditched it and again give it another 5/10.

The Wolfpack. I don't watch documentaries. I tried giving this one a shot. Mind-numbingly boring, I guess I really just don't like documentaries. 3/10.

Black Swan. Another one that's supposed to be a masterpiece but I'm not buying it. It's just a horror movie with better acting and music. Which I mean that's not bad. strong 6/10.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: March 31, 2023, 05:28:40 pm »

On and The Lion King. YMS made a 3 hour video about how the remake sucks so I watched the original. I appreciate the things it does well although this morals of this movie are really awful. 7/10.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: April 01, 2023, 06:14:18 am »

Man reality is weird. There is this LessWrong article Well Kept Gardens Die By Pacifism about how refusing to moderate a platform will yield to total value loss of the platform. I wanted to link this so I googled for the phrase, and instead found a band with that name. And they're not bad. Not good enough that I'll bother downloading their music I don't think, but still.

Sounds very aggressive.

Less impressed after the third-or-so track because it's pretty much all the same thing and I don't super love how it sounds

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: April 01, 2023, 08:56:13 am »

whew finally finished my midterm report for the grant, that's been weighing on my mind heavily. Although the midterm report is retrospectively more of a quarter-time report

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: April 02, 2023, 04:27:04 am »

Chess.com added a feature where it assigns you a rating for each match:

:(

(didn't violate my commitment, only games until first loss each day)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5238 on: April 02, 2023, 05:26:26 am »

>chess.com
>when lichess exists

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: April 02, 2023, 06:31:56 am »

yeah I like chess.com better

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5240 on: April 02, 2023, 08:06:09 am »

yeah I like chess.com better

Why would you support proprietary garbage when a perfectly fine FLOSS alternative exists?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: April 02, 2023, 10:14:56 am »

um... the game reviews, mostly

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: April 02, 2023, 05:12:48 pm »

The only one who looks worse in Charlie Kaufman's writing than Charlie Kaufman himself is therapists. Therapists are entirely shallow lifeforms who suck out money from their surroundings and engage in superficial platitudes at best

as someone who's gone through an incredibly therapy, this is a bit insulting

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: April 02, 2023, 05:13:09 pm »

incredibly helpful that is

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: April 02, 2023, 05:14:29 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: April 02, 2023, 05:56:42 pm »

I think I need a t-shirt with that phrase on it

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5246 on: April 02, 2023, 06:07:29 pm »

I think I need a t-shirt with that phrase on it

If you said that on Twitter, there's a good chance a spam bot (or possibly some ridiculously underpaid guy from India) would design one for you.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: April 03, 2023, 05:12:45 am »

Tried watching the new avatar movie, and it was significantly more generic than I expected based on ~20 minutes, which is impressive because I was expecting it to be very generic

movie starts with

- Voiceover from the main character
- He's now a daddy, has two children
- it's one boy and one girl
- the boy is older
- he's a loving daddy but not arrogant
- the alien language now sounds "as familiar as english" to him so all of the aliens will now talk english
- after the voice over, OMG the humans return what a twist and their ships burn some of the forest stuff because fuel burn thing

I'm not sure if I've ever seen something to so heavily optimized toward genericness. You could pretty much change any one of those points and it'd be slightly less generic

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: April 03, 2023, 05:13:17 am »

the first one is the worst; it's so unfathomably lazy to do it with a voiceover

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: April 03, 2023, 05:27:02 am »

I enjoy the movie take here btw. I don't tend to watch a lot of movies but I like to think that when I'm in the mood for one I can come here and find something good.

Have you seen Everything Everywhere All At Once? That move got very hyped and I don't really have a good prediction for how you would rate it, so I'd be interested to hear your opinion.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.