Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 343038 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #3725 on: June 13, 2022, 12:34:19 pm »

Yeah as far as I can tell, the fall has nothing to do with the tech behind ETH. The first big slump was because another popular token plummeted (which I think mattered because people were afraid this would empower regulation), and the one now because INFLATION

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: June 13, 2022, 12:36:29 pm »

Now I will probably have to wrap my head around this surprisingly complex metric just so I can calculate exactly two things because I thought it will souns marginally better to write "this metric doesn't matter, but the result is 2 in this case" rather than just "this metric doesn't matter" in the example

Ok it actually wasn't that complicated

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: June 13, 2022, 12:48:31 pm »

faust, you don't happen to be familiar with the Wasserstein metric?
No, I steer clear of any probability-related math  :D

but probability is so beautiful!
Eh. So much computation. So few pretty pictures.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: June 13, 2022, 03:09:05 pm »

faust, you don't happen to be familiar with the Wasserstein metric?
No, I steer clear of any probability-related math  :D

but probability is so beautiful!
Eh. So much computation. So few pretty pictures.
Are you kidding? Lots of the coolest math art involves probability distributions in some way.

Oh no oh no oh no! I didn’t mean to enter the Necro Wars :o :-X
As far as I can tell there’s no way to silence this thread’s notifications without losing all the other Non-Mafia notices. Speaking of- it’s mildly annoying that I still get the ones from Mafia setup threads, though the child board itself is muted… Oh well.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: June 13, 2022, 03:27:38 pm »

People actually use notifications? :o

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: June 13, 2022, 04:33:25 pm »

No way in hell do I want to be sent an email for new comments. No no, but I do click the “show unread posts” when I’m on, and everything with new comments shows up in a nice list. OK it’s not the “Notifications” settings, but the “Ignore Boards Options” that control what shows up there. My bad.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: June 13, 2022, 06:31:40 pm »

I believe I've never heard anyone outside of QRI (which is like 5 people) make a good argument for why computers can't be conscious.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: June 15, 2022, 06:46:06 am »

I though it would be a fun exercise to set a timer for exactly an hour and then try to write the most interesting fictional story within that hour. Without really any idea for what it could be about beforehand.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: June 15, 2022, 06:47:13 am »

She pushed the lever forward, gently, so as to require as little fuel as possible. It took a while for her to arrive, while the thick black mist beyond the window covered up anything that may have lived beyond. She rarely looked there, keeping her gaze set on the controls.

Then, as the ship slowed its course, she murmured a single word, and a dim red light began piercing through the darkness. You could see it equally beyond both windows, gradually illuminating the world beyond the black mist.

It was a wreckage. Once the largest ship she had ever seen, but now a gaping ruin. A skeleton of cold steel, cracked open and scattered across. The structure was so large that it was easy to navigate her ship into the hull, entering where once there had been a window ten times the size of herself.

The glow was stronger on the inside, bright enough now to examine the ruin in detail. A single tear ran down her her cheek as her gaze wandered across the ship's interior, the abandoned living quarters, the defunct controls, the now worthless equipment. But none of it warranted her presence. None of it would help.

And then, her eyes trailed over a a particularly dense fragment of mist that still resisted the light. Her gaze was glued on it as the ship sailed by, and soon she brought it to a halt. The stepped away from the controls toward the window, staring intently into the mist that was now only inches away from her face.

But it didn't go away. What she had seen was still there. Within the red glow, the mist was jittering. It was slight, but it was unmistakable.

She took a step away, her eyes still glued to the window as she returned to the controls, but her fingers found what she was looking for. She held her breath as they worked, until she could hear it. A rumbling, a deep vibration in the air, slight but unmistakable.

For a while she just stood there, until she finally turned away from the window, her focus back on the controls. With skillful motions, she navigated the ship forward, and then she could see it. A dark blue shimmer under the red mist, its energy rippling out like the heat of a fire. She could feel it herself now, like a mild tickling on her skin.

Without wasting another second, she began to turn her ship around. It didn't scrape the wreckage, not even now that she was moving so much faster than before. She found her way back to the first room, back outside the broken window. As soon as she had escaped the wreckage, she murmured the word to make the glow disappear; then she accelerated. No clear course, just away. Farther away.

Within the sunken beast, the red glow had all but vanished, the blue light now invisible to the human eye. No-one had ever looked at it for more than a minute.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: June 15, 2022, 01:55:08 pm »

I ordered a lavender room scent thingy. If this keeps away fruit flies it'll be the greatest thing

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: June 16, 2022, 06:28:37 pm »

I tried watching this several times, SEVERAL TIMES, and just could not get into this show for myself. A rainbow unicorn that speaks Japanese. A dog named Jake who happens to reproduce with her, YUCK! And of course we can't forget about Finn who happens to be as self centered as his friend Jake.

I admit I have a niche sense of humor but this is funny

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3736 on: June 17, 2022, 12:03:54 am »

And it makes trans issues seem less overwhelming to try to wrap my mind around, which is certainly helpful when I'm trying to convince people that trans people should have rights.

To clarify, it's helpful in the sense that it makes me feel better about my arguments, not in the sense that anyone has ever been convinced by them.

How can people be so utterly moronic that they can simultaneously claim gender is determined exclusively based on which type of gametes a person produces and also be active, functional participants in a society where people unmistakably have genders throughout their entire childhoods way earlier than they produce any gametes at all, where fetuses have forests burned for them to celebrate the revealing of their genders before they're even born, and not see the blatantly obvious contradiction? You might as well go outside, see very clearly with your own eyes that grass is green, vividly experience the greenness of the grass with every cell of your body and your entire soul, and then go confidently tell everyone that grass is purple.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: June 17, 2022, 04:54:48 am »

How can people be so utterly moronic that they can simultaneously claim gender is determined exclusively based on which type of gametes a person produces and also be active, functional participants in a society where people unmistakably have genders throughout their entire childhoods way earlier than they produce any gametes at all, where fetuses have forests burned for them to celebrate the revealing of their genders before they're even born, and not see the blatantly obvious contradiction? You might as well go outside, see very clearly with your own eyes that grass is green, vividly experience the greenness of the grass with every cell of your body and your entire soul, and then go confidently tell everyone that grass is purple.

who is claiming that?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3738 on: June 17, 2022, 05:24:58 am »

who is claiming that?

TERFs and other opponents of "gender ideology" have figured out that most sex-specific characteristics are not binary, and that's of course not very convenient for them, so they're desperately clinging to the one manifestation of biological sex that actually is binary (gametes) and treating it as the be-all, end-all definition of sex/gender and doing all kinds of ridiculous mental gymnastics to avoid acknowledging the fact that a lot of people, a lot of cis people even, still can't be categorized into either of the binary sex categories under this definition.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: June 17, 2022, 05:47:42 am »

I see. But that feels a bit like pointing to contradictions in the bible. You do it because it's the most objective way to critique religious literalism, but there's also the more pressing background fact that the bible wouldn't be true even if it didn't have contradictions.

Like, even if there were a single property that differentiates both sexes reliably, I don't think that would change very much.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: June 17, 2022, 06:03:37 am »

The (full?) laws of physics:

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: June 17, 2022, 06:04:41 am »

It would be incredibly helpful if I could pause the universe, spend 10 years studying physics, and then come back to this point in time

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3742 on: June 17, 2022, 01:08:38 pm »

I see. But that feels a bit like pointing to contradictions in the bible. You do it because it's the most objective way to critique religious literalism, but there's also the more pressing background fact that the bible wouldn't be true even if it didn't have contradictions.

Like, even if there were a single property that differentiates both sexes reliably, I don't think that would change very much.

It's somewhat different, because the Bible getting some details wrong is not necessarily inconsistent with the core beliefs being right, so a lot of Christians can just accept that the Bible has contradictions in it and still believe in salvation through Christ or whatever. But if there is no universally applicable way to sort people into males and females, that is one of the core beliefs of TERFism being thrown out of the window and it gets a lot more difficult to justify the rest without that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: June 17, 2022, 01:20:25 pm »

that's fair

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: June 17, 2022, 02:23:24 pm »

Btw, people talk way too much about the Turing Test. The Turing test is dumb. It would be dumb even if consciousness were about information. No, it doesn't tell you if AI is conscious. It doesn't you anything important. It's just an arbitrary test, and not even a well-defined one.

Are there people claiming that the Turing test does anything other than test if a machine can fool a human into thinking it's a human?

Because that has real applications in the world of spambots.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: June 17, 2022, 02:27:57 pm »

Yes. I see it mentioned all the time when related topics come up

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: June 17, 2022, 02:43:48 pm »

Computer consciousness? An interesting topic.

Certainly it's a lot easier to reject the notion of computers being capable of consciousness if you label consciousness as a strictly human trait. Perhaps a trait granted through divinity. It would take a machine that accurately simulates all facets of human psyche to compete with that assumption. The technology/resources to make such a machine could be very far away.

But there are other lifeforms with far less complexity that a machine can surpass. Is a mollusk conscious? A beetle? There is a pretty granular spectrum of nervous systems out there in the wild. At what point do you start labeling creatures as conscious?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: June 17, 2022, 04:12:32 pm »

I think there's a decent chance that Bees are conscious, though I'm not sure.

But it's not about complexity. The reasons digital computers can't be conscious is not that they're less intelligent or complex, it's that consciousness requires building a mind in a particular way, using the electromagnetic field. You could try to build machines that use the electromagnetic field -- there's certainly nothing magical or divine about it -- but digital computers don't, so they're not conscious, and increasing complexity won't help at all.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: June 17, 2022, 04:20:05 pm »

But it's not about complexity. The reasons digital computers can't be conscious is not that they're less intelligent or complex, it's that consciousness requires building a mind in a particular way, using the electromagnetic field. You could try to build machines that use the electromagnetic field -- there's certainly nothing magical or divine about it -- but digital computers don't, so they're not conscious, and increasing complexity won't help at all.

My thinking is, you *could* try to build something non-organic that functions similarly to a living organism,.but what practical purpose does that serve? It is useful to build machines to do things humans can't do, and they tend to be built in a way to do one thing very well, like work on a part of an assembly line.

You can try to make humanlike machines, but it would be a novelty.

When you say "using the electromagnetic field", you mean like, they are distinct from the transistor mechanisms used of computers?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: June 17, 2022, 04:21:07 pm »

My thinking is, you *could* try to build something non-organic that functions similarly to a living organism, but what practical purpose does that serve? It is useful to build machines to do things humans can't do, and they tend to be built in a way to do one thing very well, like work on a part of an assembly line. You wouldn't really want such a machine to be conscious, or sentient.

You can try to make humanlike machines, but it would be a novelty.

When you say "using the electromagnetic field", you mean like, they are distinct from the transistor mechanisms used of computers?
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.