Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 343406 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #3225 on: April 08, 2022, 04:45:02 pm »

The question is, will progress hit a wall anytime soon. And the relevant question for that is probably, is there a thing about going from whatever-the-current-best-language-model is to human level reasoning that requires consciousness? If yes, that's a strong reason to believe these people are wrong, since they all don't know that consciousness matters.

In general, if something happens consciously, this is obviously done via consciousness. So vision is always the obvious example; don't expect AI to catch up to humans anytime soon. But reasoning is tricky because much of reasoning happens *unconsciously*.

However, the step where we take the good ideas and build on that does happen consciously.  If I think about a hard problem, I wait for my brain to generate ideas, but most of them are terrible. So plausibly there *is* such a step which takes consciousness.

This all fits very well with what GPT-3 and other models are doing. They generate the kind of sentences that our brain spits out unconsciously, but totally lack the supervisory step. And that supervisory step could plausibly be really hard to replicate.

This monologue was surprisingly effective at calming myself down.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: April 08, 2022, 04:45:40 pm »

Reminder to myself that at some point I need to write this kind of evidence up into a post in my sequence. I'm not there yet, but it's an import piece

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: April 08, 2022, 04:49:44 pm »

Another thing is that, if something happens consciously, this is straight-forward proof that consciousness is involved, but if it doesn't, this doesn't prove anything. It's possible that consciousness is involved, it's just a disconnected part. The idea that "several entities" could be living in the brain is another thing that used to be freaky to me and now I'm just like "sure could totally be the case". In fact I'd say it's likely.

But still, sentence generation in particular seems like a good candidate for something that the brain does in pretty much the same way as GPT-3.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: April 08, 2022, 04:52:29 pm »

By the way, I've found Awaclus' twitter profile! (Not sure if linking it is okay.) Though I'd guess you have another personal one.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: April 08, 2022, 05:03:22 pm »

I remember someone on LW describing the brain as "a bunch of ML networks talking to each other with a small layer of supervisory control". That small layer could be 90% of the problem.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3230 on: April 09, 2022, 01:57:06 am »

By the way, I've found Awaclus' twitter profile! (Not sure if linking it is okay.) Though I'd guess you have another personal one.

It is okay to link it, but I don't have a personal one in addition to that one (I do also run the Birds of Necama twitter account though).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: April 09, 2022, 04:09:37 am »

https://twitter.com/Awaclus (pretty obvious url isn't it)

I saw you responding to an Aella poll :-)

The fact that you don't also need a normie account where you give milktoast political takes on everything is pretty nice imo

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: April 09, 2022, 04:10:42 am »

Also believe it or not but the banner finally shows you profile pic big large enough to where the white symbol no longer looks like a bird.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3233 on: April 09, 2022, 05:00:23 am »

The fact that you don't also need a normie account where you give milktoast political takes on everything is pretty nice imo

It's hard for me to pretend to be multiple separate people, and there wouldn't be any point in having this public Awaclus account and a separate normie account if someone could just connect the dots (which is easy) and ask me if I'm the same person as myself in which case I would be forced to admit it, and then all my normie followers would see all my responses to Aella polls anyway.

It is pretty intense to have this account where I'm mutuals with some family members, some people I have a professional relationship with, some friends (including online friends, some of whom I've met on Twitter itself), and a lot of people I share a number of political goals with, and then I'm supposed to participate in conversations I think are interesting without offending or boring this totally random collection of people or embarrassing myself too much. I'm not necessarily doing a great job at it either but it's an interesting experience at least.

Also believe it or not but the banner finally shows you profile pic big large enough to where the white symbol no longer looks like a bird.

I actually find it very easy believe that it doesn't look like a bird in my banner.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: April 09, 2022, 05:18:12 am »

@Awaclus, I've followed you (heighthater), although I mostly lurk on Twitter, rarely write something and it's usually in russian
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: April 09, 2022, 05:20:22 am »

meanwhile, a university I want to enter in Netherlands sent me a letter that I need to pay a tuition (it's fine) and a proof of financial means total of 19000 euros. It's illegal and prohibited to send more than $10k from russia to any "unfriendly" country :/

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: April 09, 2022, 05:22:03 am »

i mean i have passive income and i can live in Netherlands with it, but I can't just give 11k euros to them, i get money monthly. I'll contact them about it and fingers crossed they'll let me enter.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: April 09, 2022, 06:39:39 am »

This is probably not relevant, but hypothetically speaking, there is this thing where a person can open an account on a centralized exchange, buy ETH for $ with negligible fee, and send it to an arbitrary wallet for about 15$ fee (regardless of the amount)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: April 10, 2022, 08:16:35 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: April 10, 2022, 09:04:49 am »

So one of the students in my class has chronic sleep problems (which was immediately obvious to me after a colleague told me, but which I managed not to realize before). She basically seems extremely tired all the time, which is a state I remember because I've sometimes been very tired during class, and it's pretty unpleasant. Should I do anythng about this?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3240 on: April 10, 2022, 01:13:52 pm »

So one of the students in my class has chronic sleep problems (which was immediately obvious to me after a colleague told me, but which I managed not to realize before). She basically seems extremely tired all the time, which is a state I remember because I've sometimes been very tired during class, and it's pretty unpleasant. Should I do anythng about this?

I often have a weird sleep schedule (not sure if I should call it chronic sleep problems, really it's just a symptom of my Internet addiction) and it is incredibly helpful for me that we don't have mandatory attendance on lectures and everything is recorded so I can just watch it whenever I'm awake. If that isn't possible, I can't really think of anything else that would help, and if she doesn't approach you to request something in particular, you probably don't have to do anything.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: April 11, 2022, 05:00:22 pm »

I didn't even get around to bragging about this, but I've now been mentioned by name twice in a slatestarcodex article. Pretty sure there was some kind of "achievement unlocked" icon that was supposed to appear in mid air. Must have missed it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: April 11, 2022, 06:25:56 pm »

I've found a paper that claims to have demonstrated that neural networks fall prey to the Gestalt Law of Closure, that is, they see non-existent lines that complete figures, e.g. a triangle.

If this is true, it would be strong evidence against my new world view. If not a total knockdown.

... but the way they measure "Closure" is, they look at (a) similarity between a network given the full image and a network given the incomplete ("illusion") image, and (b) similarity between a network that is given the full image and a network given the incomplete image with parts rotated in such a way that the lines don't look like the figure anymore. I.e., one pair of networks reading the top two images vs. one pair reading the bottom two.

Then they define Closure as the difference in similarity.

this... is just stupid, right? like there's no reason to think this measures Closure? It only shows that the top two are more similar, which is already obvious?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: April 11, 2022, 06:28:16 pm »

pretty baffled here because why on earth would you define Closure like that? Why not train a triangle classifier and then see whether it classifies the illusion as a triangle? Or better yet, train a network to do nothing but reconstruct the original image, feed it an illusion, and see if the reconstruction has the illusory lines. But this??? why????? and why would you think this measures Closure???

(mb it'll make more sense if I read the paper completely, should do that.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: April 12, 2022, 03:45:59 am »

In Trixie Slaughteraxe for President, there is this funny part where they visit the castle of language makers, that is a bunch of ladies trying to develop languages that (if widely adopted) would be good for society. We have

- One language with math problems built into  basic syntax ("babies can learn all languages, therefore they will do this easily, then everyone will learn to solve math problems from a young age")
- One language where everything rhymes ("so easy to write poetry!")
- One language without words for bad things ("we'll forget about evil!")
- One language where every substantive and adjective has a good and a bad form, forcing you to constantly judge what is good or bad when speaking ("people will think deeply about what's good or bad, and figure it out")

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: April 12, 2022, 03:49:36 am »

Aside from the last (sort of), Oyvind never passes judgment on these, that is left as an exercise to the reader, but my take is

1) lol / confusing correlation with causation / babies would never learn this
2) misunderstands how art works, being hard to do is a feature... alas
3) this is by far the least stupid on the list, but probably not practical anymore
4) sufficiently obvious failure mode that I don't even need to say it

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: April 12, 2022, 03:54:41 am »

maybe one reason I like this is because it's so typical for the author. He just wants to make up weird conceptual stuff like that. His comics are chocked full of that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3247 on: April 12, 2022, 06:23:32 am »

I don't think that's true. Being hard to do is an inevitable result of the fact that the people who are the most passionate about an art medium will put a ton of effort into learning it, and then that'll set the standard that all other attempts are judged by. If you make it easier, more people will be able to meet that standard, but then the most passionate people can start ignoring that aspect of the challenge and put their effort into something else that pushes the standard even further. In that sense, art will fundamentally always be hard to do, but any kind of an innovation that reduces the existing challenges will result in better art being made.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: April 12, 2022, 07:07:19 am »

The misunderstanding I think is a different one. Japanese is a language in which way more things rhyme than in most western languages (because there are fewer syllables), and guess what? Japanese poetry isn't about rhymes at all!

I don't think rhymes are used in western poetry because they are "hard to do", but more because it's a rare form of order in language and that is perceived as beautiful.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 07:11:39 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: April 12, 2022, 08:33:45 am »

plot twist: it's all of the above.

I think signaling is definitely a component of art, being different is also a component, and inherent beauty is also a component
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.