Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 342999 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #3100 on: March 27, 2022, 12:45:23 pm »

Ah yes, I wanted to follow up on this

My tentative feeling on this that I think similarly about it, but I tend to believe that information is lost when passing from consciousness to matter, so it's impossible to reconstruct everything from looking at matter.

So this would be why you don't think physics are complete, right? But it seems not mandated by the theory -- like we've basically concluded that Objective Idealism isn't actually different from panpyschism, it just cares about different things. Both agree with the corresponds-to diagram.

So if that's true, then..., well, why? What's the reason for believing information is lost?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: March 27, 2022, 12:50:15 pm »

Speaking of incompetence (with respect to the Russia comment, ok that's a really loose connection, basically it's just a separate comment, please ignore the terrible attempt to tie it into anything), while dealing with websites the following happened:

domain.com just having a bug where lots of people (like me) can't login, and this has been around for at least a few months and isn't fixed

gixhosting has its servers full and is no longer offering new deals, but they didn't bother to update their interface, so you can still go there, order a service, and then it will get stuck at the step where you pay. after a ~2 day delay, the support person informed me that their servers are full and also renewals are canceled.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: March 27, 2022, 12:53:17 pm »

There is no way that this can happen if resources are properly allocated. It's such a massive deal for customer experience that's probably quite easy to fix. I think these kinds of massive inefficiencies are just not uncommon.

I think if you have some very annoying interface thing that bothers you about something, in general it's not justified to assume there's some deep reason for this, it's just that the company isn't allocating any resources toward this extremely low hanging fruit. I mean it could be that you are unusual in disliking the design choice, but it's also totally possible that it bothers everyone.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: March 27, 2022, 12:55:58 pm »

If this is roughly true it could explain why popular programs sometimes just fade out. For example, why is no-one using ICQ anymore? That was the big instant messaging app, and it ought to be hard to replace something this entrenched. But if memory serves their service just sort of degraded.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: March 27, 2022, 01:07:22 pm »

in the comments of my still-anonymously-published-webnovel, two people are currently having a debate about whether the main character, who is modeled after myself (with some modifications, but  basically the same ethics) is or is not an evil psychopath.

However this doesn't actually upset me since if you think utilitarianism is evil, then sure you're going to think the main character is evil. She's about as much of a utilitarian as you can ever get.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: March 27, 2022, 01:08:27 pm »

I'm really just happy people are commenting again, maybe this will motivate me to finally get on with this bloody rewrite.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: March 27, 2022, 01:10:11 pm »

person who thinks she's evil said they think switching the trolley in the trolley problem is evil, so the rest is pretty straight-forward.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: March 27, 2022, 01:12:14 pm »

I would kind of like to understand the perspective of someone who thinks you shouldn't switch the trolley, but this person doesn't strike as a clean thinker so I don't think they can articulate it well.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: March 27, 2022, 01:16:10 pm »

Not that I think there is any chance it will shift my ethical views, but knowing what I'm up against is useful for other reasons

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: March 27, 2022, 01:18:57 pm »

This actually begs another question. Suppose you could prove beyond any doubt that the pleasurableness (=valence)  of a moment of experience is a precisely and objectively measurable quantity. Does this matter for ethics? faust?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: March 27, 2022, 02:48:54 pm »

so I am learning Python, as you may know, and today I have spent 4 hours doing and polishing a very short but in my opinion quite cool game of Pokemon. It's a text game (for now)

I have used dictionaries, loops, import, basically every thing I have learned. And I just want to brag about my decisions in it, so I'm going to attach it here and if you have time and want to comment it, go ahead, that would be cool (i can't attach .py, so I attach txt and hope it'll work as intended)
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: March 27, 2022, 02:54:28 pm »

Nice I beat a sandshrew and a rattata on the first try :-)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: March 27, 2022, 02:56:55 pm »

Nice I beat a sandshrew and a rattata on the first try :-)

cool cool! There are some accuracy checks as well. Funny story is that when I was testing I assigned accuracy of 50% to Tackle and I have lost 5 times in a row due to the fact I need to hit Tackle twice to defeat rattata

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: March 27, 2022, 03:05:23 pm »

Note that you can compile python code online if you don't have anything set  up on your pc:

Fwiw I also didn't see anything particularly wrong with the code except that it's not commented. If you got this far in a few days, you've certainly outpaced the standard learning speed.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: March 27, 2022, 03:07:03 pm »

(that was addressing anyone else who wants to try it.)

I guess e detail is that you would probably use max(0,x) instead of (abs(x) + x)/2 to round negative numbers up to zero.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: March 27, 2022, 03:36:44 pm »

Note that you can compile python code online if you don't have anything set  up on your pc:

Fwiw I also didn't see anything particularly wrong with the code except that it's not commented. If you got this far in a few days, you've certainly outpaced the standard learning speed.

I have mac, I don't need a compiler as far as I'm concerned

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: March 27, 2022, 03:37:59 pm »

oh also I did get this far, but 3 or 4 years ago I passed the whole "Python for beginners" course on Coursera and I still remember... I'd call it the set of mind that I need to code on Python.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: March 27, 2022, 03:38:27 pm »

oh yeah, and the fact that nowadays I learn for 10-11 hours a day.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: March 27, 2022, 06:37:28 pm »

the greatest video ever made:

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: March 28, 2022, 02:38:56 am »

So this would be why you don't think physics are complete, right? But it seems not mandated by the theory -- like we've basically concluded that Objective Idealism isn't actually different from panpyschism, it just cares about different things. Both agree with the corresponds-to diagram.

So if that's true, then..., well, why? What's the reason for believing information is lost?
No, I don't think that in general objective idealism mandates a position on whether physics are closed one way or the other.

As to the reason for my position, well... I could of course ask "What's the reason for believing information isn't lost?" Most transformations lose information; oftentimes that a feature, not a bug. Even the example you gave with the polyhedron was an information loss.

But there are more concrete reasons for me to hold that position. First, I feel that as we explore the world in more detail, we seem to reach some limitations. It wasn't too difficult to come up with the laws of mechanics, but it seems to me that the further we delve into quantum physics, the more we asymptotically approach a barrier beyond which new insight cannot be gained.

The second reason comes from an analogy to math. Here we have Gödel's incompleteness theorem which tells us that there are questions to be asked about math that will always remain impossible to answer. Physics is a model that includes arithmetics, so the same would hold here.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: March 28, 2022, 02:43:43 am »

This actually begs another question. Suppose you could prove beyond any doubt that the pleasurableness (=valence)  of a moment of experience is a precisely and objectively measurable quantity. Does this matter for ethics? faust?
I'm not sure I understand the premise. What exactly are we measuring? The current impact on the individuals' emotions? All ramifications of it throughout time on human (or also non-human?) experience?

If it's more the former, then I wouldn't say it matters a great deal. If it's the latter, well then we apparently have a way to definitively predict the future, and surely that has wide-ranging ethical implications.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: March 28, 2022, 02:45:25 am »

I would kind of like to understand the perspective of someone who thinks you shouldn't switch the trolley, but this person doesn't strike as a clean thinker so I don't think they can articulate it well.
Plot twist: I think the trolley problem itself is evil.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: March 28, 2022, 04:52:52 am »

Even the example you gave with the polyhedron was an information loss.

*Regular* Polyhedrons do *not* have information loss in this transformation, do they? Only general polyhedrons do. (Or rather, regular ones do not if the spaces only contain regular ones, obviously a regular one in the general space does as well.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: March 28, 2022, 04:54:56 am »

Why assume physics is closed? Because it seems a hell of a lot more elegant to have a bijection than a function that's 99.999% injective or whatever lower bound we can determine based on the current model of physics. And elegance -- or rather, simplicity, measured by length of the shortest program that implements the model -- is everything.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: March 28, 2022, 04:57:34 am »

The second reason comes from an analogy to math. Here we have Gödel's incompleteness theorem which tells us that there are questions to be asked about math that will always remain impossible to answer. Physics is a model that includes arithmetics, so the same would hold here.

But Gödel's completeness theorem says that every valid statement is also provable. The incompleteness is only about the difficulty of nailing down the standard model.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.