Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 269  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 337232 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #3025 on: March 17, 2022, 03:41:49 pm »

yep!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: March 17, 2022, 04:35:50 pm »

So why is Glucose called Traubenzucker (grape sugar) in German? That makes no little sense I don't even??

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: March 17, 2022, 04:36:17 pm »

It sounds like it's this specific hand-made flavor, but it's just a molecule

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: March 17, 2022, 04:41:46 pm »

In fact a few eager intellectuals have already begun to treat the film as a warning in and of itself, perfectly suited for hanging whole above the gates of such schools as Architectonics, Popomo, Consequentialism, Neo-Plasticism, Phenomenology, Information Theory, Marxism, Biosemiotics, to say nothing of psychology, medicine, New Age spirituality, art and even Neo-Minimalism.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3029 on: March 17, 2022, 04:53:03 pm »

So why is Glucose called Traubenzucker (grape sugar) in German? That makes no little sense I don't even??

It's called grape sugar (rypälesokeri) in Finnish as well, and the reason why is that it was first discovered in grapes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: March 17, 2022, 04:59:49 pm »

Don't tell me you learned that from reading the newspaper

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3031 on: March 17, 2022, 05:17:54 pm »

Don't tell me you learned that from reading the newspaper

I just always assumed something along those lines because most sugars in Finnish are named after a thing that contains them, and when you brought that up, I just went on the English Wikipedia page for glucose and ctrl+F'd "grape" to confirm and specify the assumption.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: March 18, 2022, 10:42:55 am »

so, um, desperation is looming above me, because I am starting to think I can't do anything that can make money for living? I am trying to take courses on Python right now, but I feel like it's not enough to try to get internship in another country, because why would anyone want me without any experience and also I should spend quite a while learning before I even can apply to internship. This is scaring a bit
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: March 18, 2022, 10:43:37 am »

I am quite sorry for depressive thoughts and I can stop if you start to feel inconvenient

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3034 on: March 18, 2022, 11:13:16 am »

so, um, desperation is looming above me, because I am starting to think I can't do anything that can make money for living? I am trying to take courses on Python right now, but I feel like it's not enough to try to get internship in another country, because why would anyone want me without any experience and also I should spend quite a while learning before I even can apply to internship. This is scaring a bit

Isn't the point of internships specifically to recruit people who don't have any experience?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: March 18, 2022, 12:15:13 pm »

Isn't the point of internships specifically to recruit people who don't have any experience?

well, yes, but if they can recruit someone from their own country, why would they take a hard way of officially employing a foreigner?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: March 18, 2022, 12:18:39 pm »

point is - if I could bring something professional to the table, I would have chances to get a job abroad, but as an intern without experience, I don't

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: March 18, 2022, 12:26:23 pm »

What about other areas? As a translator or as a tutor?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: March 18, 2022, 12:31:45 pm »

well, yes, but if they can recruit someone from their own country, why would they take a hard way of officially employing a foreigner?

I mean, because they have a good day, because they like you, because you've been convincing in an interview... employers aren't like cold rational calculators, they're human beings. Have you actually tried and failed or just don't like your chances?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: March 18, 2022, 12:35:58 pm »

What about other areas? As a translator or as a tutor?

It brings less money, but it's an opportunity for sure. I tried a couple of companies as Game Localization Editor, but they didn't want to help me relocate to their place, although I was ready to work remotely *shrug*

The ideal thing for me rn would be relocating to some civilization (I don't want to say Armenia is a bad country, it's just not so technologically advanced from what I gathered in the last three weeks) and then tyr the internship. I got an idea of trying to enter a university and I have some in mind, but turns out it's now too late for entering for September classes, although I have sent some of them messages of current situation and my greatest wish to enter. Another thing that my business didn't endure the economic blow and the money I have left from it are not sustainable for tuition, given how rouble is now close to dead.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: March 18, 2022, 12:37:45 pm »

I mean, because they have a good day, because they like you, because you've been convincing in an interview... employers aren't like cold rational calculators, they're human beings. Have you actually tried and failed or just don't like your chances?

today I spent the whole day sending cvs, cover letters, writing messages to different companies and universities. Haven't got an answer yet, but waiting for it. But yeah, I don't like my chances too much. There is also a thing, that I am russian and many companies understandably do not like that from what my peers say.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: March 18, 2022, 12:38:31 pm »

I mean I am not sitting here crying, I am doing ShIT. It's just... hard.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: March 18, 2022, 12:52:54 pm »

Yeah, understandable.

I mean in the end it will come down to luck, there's just no way to predict what the person who reads your application will do. No clue how likely it is but I guess I'm not as pessimistic.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: March 18, 2022, 12:53:12 pm »

At least not if you send a bunch

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: March 18, 2022, 12:55:59 pm »

By the way I still have a copy of the digital book I've used to learn python, which I liked a lot, and it certainly starts from nothing. Obviously not going to help with your bigger problem of getting hired somewhere, but let me know if you want it anyway.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: March 18, 2022, 12:56:48 pm »

By the way I still have a copy of the digital book I've used to learn python, which I liked a lot, and it certainly starts from nothing. Obviously not going to help with your bigger problem of getting hired somewhere, but let me know if you want it anyway.

Sure!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: March 19, 2022, 04:11:56 am »

Academia really is slow. I just checked a paper, it was from 2018, and I was like "hm that's surprising, based on the content, I guessed it was older". Then I checked the arxiv version, which is always the earlier beacuse you just get to upload it without any hurdles, and it was from 2016.

It seems on the optimistic side to say that publishing something takes 6 months for a conference and 18 months for a journal (and probably ~0 on arxiv). And of course, journal > conference >>> arxiv in terms of prestige.

This is not good. People on the AI alignment forum get to publish their work as blog posts and have instant feedback. It's just a so much more efficient format. To some extent this is probably remedied by informally talking about papers as they happen.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: March 20, 2022, 03:27:07 am »

Academia really is slow. I just checked a paper, it was from 2018, and I was like "hm that's surprising, based on the content, I guessed it was older". Then I checked the arxiv version, which is always the earlier beacuse you just get to upload it without any hurdles, and it was from 2016.

It seems on the optimistic side to say that publishing something takes 6 months for a conference and 18 months for a journal (and probably ~0 on arxiv). And of course, journal > conference >>> arxiv in terms of prestige.

This is not good. People on the AI alignment forum get to publish their work as blog posts and have instant feedback. It's just a so much more efficient format. To some extent this is probably remedied by informally talking about papers as they happen.
Well um peer review is a thing and takes time? I mean you yourself pointed out that arxiv is there for you if you want something out there prior to being reviewed.

I'm not saying that there are no problems with academic publishing but this isn't one of them.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: March 20, 2022, 05:15:30 am »

Idk how that's not a problem? If the speed at which you can bounce ideas back and forth is an import variable for how fast a field progresses, and it is, then this is severely limiting. half a year is so much time. If you imagine an ordered graph where an arrow means you responded to a paper of someone else, that means getting to a hop distance of 50 takes about a generation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: March 20, 2022, 05:16:32 am »

*Separately*, it also seems plainly obvious to me that the peer review process doesn't have to take 6 months. I mean are you really telling me there isn't a possible equilibrium in which our society does it in one 1-2months?
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 269  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.