Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 343553 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #2400 on: January 18, 2022, 10:51:23 am »

Wait the talk at google came later? Now I'm just very confused.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: January 18, 2022, 01:40:08 pm »

Not trying to do status signaling here, but the affection that fruit flies have for me and my apartment is completely one-sided.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: January 18, 2022, 04:16:45 pm »

Iron Sky predates Trump by some years and has a Trump-like president (modeled after Sarah Palin).
Idiocracy, for all its faults, presents the president as equally stupid as the general population.
I think there was also a Simpsons episode that predicted Trump being president but I haven't seen it.

So none of these seems impressive. Iron Sky for what I alread said

Idiocracy seems to be about how people are stupid in the future, so having a stupid president isn't special

And I just watched the simpsons episode; the bit about Trump consists of a setup piece; Lisa is president and has financial trouble because the previous administration (by  Trump) was incompetent

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: January 19, 2022, 06:28:08 am »

Talking about privilege is extremely fundamentally bogus.

At step one you can talk about racial privilege

At step two you can realize that wealth privilege and beauty privilege also matters and for some reason isn't talked about much

At step three you can realize that personality traits are also privilege, like IQ and conscientiousness and hedonic setpoint and whatnot

At step four you can realize that in the presence of determinism, it's turtles privilege all the way down

At step five you can accept how it is deeply unfair that you are not someone else and that there's nothing to be done about this

And at step six you can realize that you are, in fact, everyone else so even that doesn't work

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: January 19, 2022, 06:31:21 am »

The only coherent way to talk about privilege is the consequentialist way; what will make lives better given the totally nonsensical views that we in fact have and which in fact matter in real life. If people are particularly bothered by racial inequalities than reparations make sense, but this does not fundamentally solve privilege

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: January 19, 2022, 07:53:31 am »

Talking about privilege is extremely fundamentally bogus.

At step one you can talk about racial privilege

At step two you can realize that wealth privilege and beauty privilege also matters and for some reason isn't talked about much

At step three you can realize that personality traits are also privilege, like IQ and conscientiousness and hedonic setpoint and whatnot

At step four you can realize that in the presence of determinism, it's turtles privilege all the way down

At step five you can accept how it is deeply unfair that you are not someone else and that there's nothing to be done about this

And at step six you can realize that you are, in fact, everyone else so even that doesn't work
I think you are missing the point.

When people talk about privilege, this refers to an institutionalized preference towards certain groups of people. The clearest examples being laws that explicitly target or exclude certain groups, as have existed in the past on grounds of race, gender and sexuality.

These days most of this institutional discrimination is more implicit, but still exists. Also a lot of current-day privilege can be traced back to those explicit laws that have set up the current society, especially so in the case of race.

Wealth privilege (though I would say class privilege) certainly exists. In my personal bubble this is talked about quite frequently but I see how that might not be the case in the general public. Beauty privilege I would argue is weaker than race or class, but it is the case that you will be unable to take certain jobs if you don't fall into a beauty standard, so yes it is a thing. Of course it is also influenced by other privileges; you do have a significant amount of influence of your personal appearance after all if you have the resources for it. This leads into intersectionality, wher you consider how the various forms of privilege may impact one another.

I think you have a hard time arguing that discrimination based on traits like IQ is institutionalized in the same way as these other factors. I can imagine a world where it is, and in that world it would make sense to talk about IQ privilege, but it is not the world we live in.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: January 19, 2022, 08:20:02 am »

I was certainly missing that point. Why does it matter if it's institutionalized?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: January 19, 2022, 08:34:18 am »

I was certainly missing that point. Why does it matter if it's institutionalized?
It matters insofar as institutional forms of discrimination can be fought through legislation and the executive branch, whereas other forms of discrimination would need to be addressed via the judicial system (broadly speaking). Thus is makes sense for a political movement to make that distinction.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: January 19, 2022, 08:52:39 am »

i mean, my whole point was that there is no way to look at this other than at the practical level, so I have no disagreements with that

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2409 on: January 19, 2022, 09:02:52 am »

In most cases, it would be more appropriate to talk about oppression than privilege. Rights are rights, not privileges — being denied them is oppression.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: January 19, 2022, 09:03:46 am »

Right to be attactive?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2411 on: January 19, 2022, 09:07:00 am »

Right to be attactive?

Sure. In some Islamic theocracies, women are denied the right to be attractive, and that's oppression.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: January 19, 2022, 09:21:10 am »

But what about people who are naturally unattractive

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2413 on: January 19, 2022, 09:51:34 am »

But what about people who are naturally unattractive

It isn't illegal for people who are naturally unattractive to become attractive, nor has society been rigged in any other way to make it more difficult for naturally unattractive people to be attractive. It's a negative right.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: January 19, 2022, 10:07:01 am »

insects really are the worst

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2415 on: January 19, 2022, 10:23:51 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: January 20, 2022, 05:56:32 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: January 21, 2022, 06:23:32 am »

Just gonna repost this apropos of nothing

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: January 21, 2022, 03:39:37 pm »

Let's do another one of those netflix runs

1/n Vivarium

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: January 21, 2022, 03:41:10 pm »

yes birds sure are disgusting if you look closely enough

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: January 21, 2022, 03:44:02 pm »

Something I do not get is missing subtitles on Netflix. Providing those has got to be cheap enough to be worth it. This movie doesn't have English subtitles even though English is the original language. I know most people in German have terrible enough taste to prefer German subtitles over the ones in original language, but my preference isn't that rare.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: January 21, 2022, 03:47:32 pm »

Then if I turn on a proxy, the movie disappears. This usually happens. I don't get it; why are English movies only available in Germany? Or is Netflix just smart enough to see that I'm using the proxy?

Guess I'll watch it without subtitles.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: January 21, 2022, 03:50:16 pm »

7yo: why is the bird dead?
adult: maybe a cuckoo killed it
7yo: why would it do that?
adult: it needed a nest?
7yo: why can't it just built its own nest?
adult: that's just the way things are. it's nature
7yo: I don't like the way things are. It's horrible.

This is bloody spot on. Some quote like "only children and rationalists know what the world would be like if god existed" is relevant here.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2423 on: January 21, 2022, 03:54:38 pm »

Something I do not get is missing subtitles on Netflix. Providing those has got to be cheap enough to be worth it. This movie doesn't have English subtitles even though English is the original language. I know most people in German have terrible enough taste to prefer German subtitles over the ones in original language, but my preference isn't that rare.

And the English subtitles probably literally exist, they're just choosing not to deploy them. At worst, they'd have to rip the subs from a pirate release and have someone watch it on like 2x speed to make sure they aren't getting trolled, because unlike fan translations, I don't think a simple transcription has any of the pirates' copyrightable creative work in it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: January 21, 2022, 04:04:03 pm »

Looks like an immediate hit. That's a first.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.