Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 345485 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #3450 on: May 07, 2022, 03:57:01 pm »

that is pretty smart!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3451 on: May 07, 2022, 05:59:24 pm »

This is something the producers of Sora no Woto learned the hard way. It has some of the most beautiful and touching subtext I have ever seen, but most people completely missed it and the franchise flopped hard.

(The basic principle, without plot spoilers, is that the direction is designed to very strongly convey the perspective of the main character, who is a bit of an idiot and pays attention to all the unimportant things while many important plot things are not particularly interesting to her and the absolute fucked-upness of the dystopian setting is just a thing that she takes for granted because of course the world is like that when you've lived your entire life in it. And so, if you just go along with the flow the direction sets, you too will be only paying attention to all the unimportant things, missing most of the plot developments, and probably not even taking a moment to consider that it isn't normal that 15-year-old girls have to join the military if they want to learn how to play music — and that's apparently exactly how most people watched it, before marking it down as an incoherent mess although an aesthetically pleasing one and never revisiting it again.)
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3452 on: May 07, 2022, 06:05:57 pm »

Incidentally, not too long after that, they (Aniplex) produced Madoka Magica, which still has plenty of subtext, but makes it quite a bit more obvious to the viewer that there is subtext in it, and makes for a coherent and interesting experience even if you miss all of it. Which was a roaring success.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: May 08, 2022, 06:29:40 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: May 08, 2022, 06:38:53 am »

(The basic principle, without plot spoilers, is that the direction is designed to very strongly convey the perspective of the main character, who is a bit of an idiot and pays attention to all the unimportant things while many important plot things are not particularly interesting to her and the absolute fucked-upness of the dystopian setting is just a thing that she takes for granted because of course the world is like that when you've lived your entire life in it. And so, if you just go along with the flow the direction sets, you too will be only paying attention to all the unimportant things, missing most of the plot developments, and probably not even taking a moment to consider that it isn't normal that 15-year-old girls have to join the military if they want to learn how to play music — and that's apparently exactly how most people watched it, before marking it down as an incoherent mess although an aesthetically pleasing one and never revisiting it again.)

This sounds incredibly interesting. I'll definitely try watching that show.

I also liked Madoka Magica quite a lot. I mean I have my issues, but it's a well-planned, well-thought out story, much unlike most series.

And the entropy thing is hilarious to me, not least because they utterly bungle the explanation in the english subtitles.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: May 08, 2022, 06:51:44 am »

From reading a bit of proper philosophy papers about C., my impression is that **even the really good ones** have needlessly complicated terminology and phrasing. Which I guess is exactly the common critique of philosophy so not surprising.

The issue is really that people have so so little ability to differentiate good from bad ideas, and you need to do SOMETHING to make your contribution look more high class. So fancy terminology it  is. But it's also straight up negative effect. There really is no reason to do this. ImE, the really smart people usually talk in a hybrid of very basic language mixed with a few precise terms. This is very different from generally-complicated language.

More broadly, I think there is such a thing as philosophical intelligence that's quite different from IQ (certainly correlated, but nowhere near perfectly) and academic philosophy just doesn't select for people who are good at it, at all. The people who study philosophy aren't the ones who are good at philosophy, they don't get much better while studying it, and in the field, good ideas probably have some systematic advantage over bad ideas, but it's such a small one.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: May 08, 2022, 06:53:28 am »

Some people are really good at philosophy. Among those, some are philosophers. As a result, some academic philosophy is really good (though communicated sub-optimally). Most people are bad at philosophy. As a result...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: May 08, 2022, 07:00:48 am »

There seem to be about three or four people in academic philosophy with about 10 papers between them who think consciousness is about electromagnetic fields, e.g. https://academic.oup.com/nc/article/2020/1/niaa016/5909853. The fringest of fringe theories. But not silenced in any way; they're published and get funding, even write books.

Also has a wikipedia entry which has previously survived a call for deletion

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: May 08, 2022, 08:19:11 am »

I have of course been too nice to Global Workspace Theory; it is, in fact, intended as a causal explanation for consciousness.

Why you would ever expect this to be true idk. "Here is one aspect (global access) in one system (human brain); we'll say that this is the cause for consciousness!" I happen to think that this aspect isn't even on the table for philosophical reasons, but even if it were, what are the odds of it being the decisive one?

One philosophical problem with it is that it's a totally quantitative concept. There's no qualitative "global" property. This seems to be a wide-spread thing, where to me it's obvious that you can't tie a qualitative thing to a quantitative property, but I haven't had too much success with this argument.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: May 08, 2022, 08:20:05 am »

One important question raised by GWTs concerns what exactly is required for a workspace to qualify as ‘global’ 25,56 . Is it the number (and type) of consuming sys- tems to which the workspace can broadcast that matters, or is it the kind of broadcasting that occurs within the workspace? Or are both of these considerations relevant to what counts as a ‘global workspace’? These questions need to be answered if we are to know what predictions GWTs make with respect to consciousness in, for exam- ple, infants, individuals with brain damage, people who have undergone split- brain surgery, non- human animals and artificial intelligence systems

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: May 08, 2022, 04:13:48 pm »

I'm not particularly on team god right now, but if he published a patch that made fruit flies avoid houses, I could change my mind.

Related:

PATCH 5776.11 IS NOW COMPLETE. WORK HAS BEGUN ON PATCH 5777.0. HERE IS A FINAL CHANGELOG FOR PATCH 5776.11:

1. HUMANS NO LONGER DEPLETE WILLPOWER WHEN ENGAGING IN DIFFICULT TASKS; GLUCOSE NO LONGER NECESSARY TO REPLENISH IT.
2. ROCKETS CAN NOW LAND ON PLATFORMS AND BE REUSED IF NEEDED.
3. USER FFUKUYAMA COMPLAINS THAT THE POLITICAL SYSTEM HAS BECOME BORING. IN ORDER TO MAKE THINGS MORE INTERESTING, FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES WILL OCCASIONALLY FLIRT WITH FAR-RIGHT NATIONALISM.
4. UK NO LONGER CONSIDERED PART OF EUROPE FOR PURPOSE OF ECONOMIC BONUSES.
5. VOLKSWAGENS NOW REPORT CORRECT GAS MILEAGE STATISTICS.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: May 08, 2022, 06:12:07 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: May 11, 2022, 11:57:08 am »

I'm all-in on ETH. Not literally all-in of course, I'm still financially responsible and stuff, but as invested as is reasonably justifiable. If the merge flops, I shall eat my nonexistent hat.

(The merge is essentially an event where ETH transitions from prove of work to proof of stake, which means that instead of solving math puzzles to realize transactions, you stake your ETH and someone gets randomly chosen with odds weighed by eth staked. Point being that right now ETH is ultra expensive, and the transition should reduce it to a fraction.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: May 11, 2022, 11:59:10 am »

by ultra expensive I mean computationally expensive, like the entire eth ecosystem burns through tons of energy and consequently has a large co2 footprint

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: May 11, 2022, 12:00:57 pm »

So if the merge goes well and the proof of stake system works, ETH will be just as secure as bitcoin, have way more applications, and be clean. Seems like a better long term bet.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: May 11, 2022, 12:04:41 pm »

Of course all of this should be irrelevant if the efficient market hypothesis is true since then the above & way more is perfectly priced in by the market, which collective has a much better understanding of the technology than I do. But I don't exactly believe the EMH anymore after the pandemic. So it's kind of a bet on the EMH being sufficiently false.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3466 on: May 11, 2022, 04:52:07 pm »

I'm all-in on ETH. Not literally all-in of course, I'm still financially responsible and stuff, but as invested as is reasonably justifiable. If the merge flops, I shall eat my nonexistent hat.

(The merge is essentially an event where ETH transitions from prove of work to proof of stake, which means that instead of solving math puzzles to realize transactions, you stake your ETH and someone gets randomly chosen with odds weighed by eth staked. Point being that right now ETH is ultra expensive, and the transition should reduce it to a fraction.)

Thanks for the tip, I just invested 13.12€ in ETH for the lulz. I'm treating it more as a gamble than an investment really, but if you're correct, I guess even a small amount like that can turn out to become a substantial amount of money later on.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: May 12, 2022, 02:30:33 am »

So if the merge goes well and the proof of stake system works, ETH will be just as secure as bitcoin, have way more applications, and be clean.
"clean"?

As far as I know, even proof of stake systems use signficantly more energy than other commonly used means of transferring money, such as credit card transactions.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: May 12, 2022, 03:59:53 am »

I've heard the number 1% floating around, as in 1% of what it was before. That's probably still much more than other systems, but it's negligible compared to proof of work

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3469 on: May 13, 2022, 02:12:18 pm »

I made a 0.15€ profit by strategically converting some of my ETH into DOGE earlier and back to ETH just now.

This is surprisingly entertaining.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: May 13, 2022, 03:21:38 pm »

That's actually pretty impressive because an ETH transaction costs about 4$

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3471 on: May 13, 2022, 03:56:19 pm »

It's probably worth noting that I'm using a crypto exchange with a hosted wallet, so there was probably no actual ETH transaction there.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: May 13, 2022, 04:10:03 pm »

yeah most likely

Great start into your trading career, anyway :-)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: May 13, 2022, 05:17:08 pm »

These days I'm split between "AGI is like 5-10 years away" and "all of these advances mean nothing because they're only solving the problems that don't require consciousness, and as a result the field will grind to a halt and true AGI may be 100 years away"

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: May 13, 2022, 05:18:08 pm »

But either way it is unsettling to see a new post about amazing AGI development about once per week
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 19 queries.