Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Marco Polo, a game-ending Traveller  (Read 18561 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Marco Polo, a game-ending Traveller
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 02:03:52 pm »

I mean, I think the basic idea is "getting to Khan first" => "(probably?) win game" => swingy games.  Shuffle luck will lead you to getting to Khan first/quickly.  Similar idea that getting Province and Tournament to collide early on gives you a much better chance of winning.  (I'm not really certain on the validity of the last statement, but I can understand thinking it.)

Of course, getting Khan may not necessarily lock in the victory. 

I can understand the comparison to Tournament at least.  I think it would take actual play testing to see how it affects games, though.

So my response to this (already given before) is that Tournament is only swingy if it happens early.

But.. doesn't that (conditional on happening early) exactly make it swingy?  I mean, happening early in and of itself is a lucky thing.

I see your points about Marco Polo, and think you probably could be correct.  Again I think it's best to test it out and seeing what happens.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2016, 04:15:51 pm »

I mean, I think the basic idea is "getting to Khan first" => "(probably?) win game" => swingy games.  Shuffle luck will lead you to getting to Khan first/quickly.  Similar idea that getting Province and Tournament to collide early on gives you a much better chance of winning.  (I'm not really certain on the validity of the last statement, but I can understand thinking it.)

Of course, getting Khan may not necessarily lock in the victory. 

I can understand the comparison to Tournament at least.  I think it would take actual play testing to see how it affects games, though.

So my response to this (already given before) is that Tournament is only swingy if it happens early.

But.. doesn't that (conditional on happening early) exactly make it swingy?  I mean, happening early in and of itself is a lucky thing.

I see your points about Marco Polo, and think you probably could be correct.  Again I think it's best to test it out and seeing what happens.

My point is that even if you get lucky, you still won't get it early enough to be game-breaking.  market squire has also pointed out that you would need to get lucky multiple times.  For comparison, consider the Lucky Chancellor.  Even though that's a possibility, I wouldn't call Chancellor "too random".

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 04:23:39 am »

I haven't ignored your comments about the stats. I addressed them.  I don't trust your assessment over theirs because you've only thrown out terms from introductory statistics classes like "t-test" and "significance" without any actually math at all, and one of your suggestions (that small = insignificant) is fundamentally wrong.
You did not adress anything. All you relied upon was an argument from authorty: "these guys are uber smart so their works is automatically right". This is unscientific and reactionary. In the real work everybody, even Nobeal prize laurates, frequently make mistakes.
About the stats, as I already said, if the secondary values which are given correspond to the confidence intervals then the probabilities might very well be statistically significantly different from a hypothetical average value (of around 70%).
But even if they are, the range of probabilities is just 2.5 percentage points. Not really enough spread to make arguments about card randomness. Second the stats do not only measure card randomness but also card complexity.

Is this a paper? No but this is a boardgame forum and not a scientific journal. The second point, that the stats measure two things and not just one, suffices to discount them for the sake of using them as an empirical support for the nonsensical claim that Tournament is not a swingy card.

Back to the actual topic, if you still don't get, despite countless repetitions, that the last step of the traveller line is Tournament on steroids (you need to have 2 Provinces or a Province and a Duchy or a Duchy and 3 Estates in your hand) I cannot help you.
The conditions is harder than that of Tournament so even with mirror play and greening that happens at roughly the same time at the end card draw decides whether you will have the VP cards with a cumulated cost of 10 or not. And the reward, 10 VPs plus end game trigger, is extremely good.

In the real world an event which occurs with low probability and implies a large outcome is called risky. Now this is totally fine if the card designer wants to go for that. Swindler, Tournament, Treasure Map and so on are all risky Dominion cards. As it includes a game end trigger and a huge shitload of VPs it is clearly more risky than any other Dominion card. But per se there is nothing wrong with that. Gee, my favourite deckbuilder is Nightfall which is probably less skill-dependent than Dominion. And at the end of the game we still talk about a card game and not Caylus or Chess.
But if your goal is to keep the amount of Tournaments and Swindlers low, if your fan card design goal is limit the influence of luck, then this traveller line is the wrong choice. If Dominion is too deterministic and skill-dependent for your taste than this card is clearly a good choice.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:29:40 am by tristan »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 04:48:17 am »
+2

In the real work everybody, even Nobeal prize laurates, frequently make mistakes.

But you apparently don't.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 04:55:05 am »

In the real work everybody, even Nobeal prize laurates, frequently make mistakes.

But you apparently don't.
Where did I say that I do not?  ??? I did e.g. appreciate that the guy I responded to did helped me to understand that cantrip trashers are stronger than I thought. But looks like he resorts to arguments from authority when he is dealing with a topic he is unfamiliar with.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:57:34 am by tristan »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 07:41:10 am »
+1

Reading the thread title, i thought the last card would be a Reserve saying: "At the start of your turn, you may call this, to end the game." Which i think sounds at least interesting.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 07:59:57 am »

Reading the thread title, i thought the last card would be a Reserve saying: "At the start of your turn, you may call this, to end the game." Which i think sounds at least interesting.
I agree. It would definitely imply more control for the player who gained a Khan and make it overall less swingy. In a big deck you could draw Khan at the wrong moment when you (think you are) behind.
Anything related to game ending stuff is definitely something you wanna tightly control.

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 08:57:49 am »
+1

Back to the actual topic, if you still don't get, despite countless repetitions, that the last step of the traveller line is Tournament on steroids (you need to have 2 Provinces or a Province and a Duchy or a Duchy and 3 Estates in your hand) I cannot help you.
The conditions is harder than that of Tournament so even with mirror play and greening that happens at roughly the same time at the end card draw decides whether you will have the VP cards with a cumulated cost of 10 or not. And the reward, 10 VPs plus end game trigger, is extremely good.

Agreed, the condition is harder than Tournament's. But I think this means it is less luck dependent. You will need multiple VP cards in your deck if you want to trigger it, you can't just draw it luckily with a Province.
Also: If you fail with Tournament, you get nothing. If you fail On the Silk Road, you get a super boost.

That is I good idea that I haven't thought of. Probably we could just change the Khan to this.
Maybe this with a condition could be a way to shorten the Traveller chain, like Accatitippi wished. I will think about it.

On testing: Sorry, I don't play that much. Although I'm quite excited about this one. Maybe I will make card mockups next week or so, but that is always taking so much time...  :(

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2016, 09:12:57 am »
+1

By the way, i made it "At the start of your turn" on purpose. Being able to sucker-punch somebody by jumping in the lead and ending the game immediately didn't seem fun. The way i suggested you have to be ahead at the start of your turn - but winning if you are ahead at your turn's begin is still neat.

Maybe it could even work without being a Traveller? Like, if it costs $8, you are foregoing a Province. You also need to play it and then stay in the lead for a turn. If it was my idea, i'd probably try it at $8 and name it Queen/King/Regent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 09:40:19 am »

Agreed, the condition is harder than Tournament's. But I think this means it is less luck dependent. You will need multiple VP cards in your deck if you want to trigger it, you can't just draw it luckily with a Province.
Also: If you fail with Tournament, you get nothing. If you fail On the Silk Road, you get a super boost.

Hmm.. I don't think that logic holds up.  The condition is harder, so it happens less often, but the payoff is better.  Low probability, high value, which is exactly what Tristan is talking about.

On the Silk Road's abilities are good, but if getting Marco Polo outshines the other benefits such that the player that lines up 10 cost with it is very likely going to win over the player that doesn't (hypothetical; I'm not saying that's the case), then it's a little bit moot.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 01:55:59 pm »
+1

I haven't ignored your comments about the stats. I addressed them.  I don't trust your assessment over theirs because you've only thrown out terms from introductory statistics classes like "t-test" and "significance" without any actually math at all, and one of your suggestions (that small = insignificant) is fundamentally wrong.
You did not adress anything. All you relied upon was an argument from authorty: "these guys are uber smart so their works is automatically right". This is unscientific and reactionary. In the real work everybody, even Nobeal prize laurates, frequently make mistakes.

An argument from authority is not fallacious if the authority actually knows what they are talking about.  I believe they do.  IIRC, this kind of stuff is actually rrenaud's job.  I'm not saying that it's automatically right, but that it sure has more weight than your anecdotes. 

On the flip side, until you actually do some math, you yourself are making an argument from authority with yourself as authority, and your other statements have led me to believe that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to stats.

People certainly do make mistakes.  That's not relevant here though, unless you show that there is a mistake in those stats.

About the stats, as I already said, if the secondary values which are given correspond to the confidence intervals then the probabilities might very well be statistically significantly different from a hypothetical average value (of around 70%).
But even if they are, the range of probabilities is just 2.5 percentage points. Not really enough spread to make arguments about card randomness. Second the stats do not only measure card randomness but also card complexity.

Is this a paper? No but this is a boardgame forum and not a scientific journal. The second point, that the stats measure two things and not just one, suffices to discount them for the sake of using them as an empirical support for the nonsensical claim that Tournament is not a swingy card.

So you're saying that even though it's statistically significant, it's still not actually significant.  OK, way to dismiss hard data.

I already addressed why the card complexity is directly related, but you've studiously ignored all that.

I never claimed that Tournament is not swingy.  No matter how many times you say that I did, that won't make it true, and I think it is the worst form of debate to misrepresent what others have said, especially if they've already corrected you on it before.

Your countless repetitions have already been addressed multiple times, and you've chosen to ignore those responses over and over again.

Just to say yet again, the 10VP isn't an important part of the card design.  The OP already mentioned that it could be reduced or removed entirely.  So if that's a big reason you think it is swingy, it has already been addressed.  This has been mentioned multiple times already.

You say that card draw will decide whether you have the VP cards in hand, but I disagree.  All the exchange requirements for the early cards in the line require that you actually build your deck.  By the time you get On The Silk Road, you'll have an actual engine.  If you've played well, you'll be able to reliably draw the VP you need.  That's not random luck, that's skilled play.  That's not early game pairing of two cards like Tournament, that's a late game engine doing what it was built to do.

In the real world an event which occurs with low probability and implies a large outcome is called risky. Now this is totally fine if the card designer wants to go for that. Swindler, Tournament, Treasure Map and so on are all risky Dominion cards. As it includes a game end trigger and a huge shitload of VPs it is clearly more risky than any other Dominion card. But per se there is nothing wrong with that. Gee, my favourite deckbuilder is Nightfall which is probably less skill-dependent than Dominion. And at the end of the game we still talk about a card game and not Caylus or Chess.
But if your goal is to keep the amount of Tournaments and Swindlers low, if your fan card design goal is limit the influence of luck, then this traveller line is the wrong choice. If Dominion is too deterministic and skill-dependent for your taste than this card is clearly a good choice.

I contest that it is low probability in the context of how and when you would actually have On the Silk Road in your deck, as explained above. 

But let's say that you are a bad player who is just bumbling through this line.  In that case, I agree -- the probability is low.  Then suppose you do somehow randomly meet the conditions to exchange instead of doing it deliberately.  Is it swingy now?  I say no, because in this case the card wouldn't be powerful.  If you use Visit the Khan to end the game, you're probably doing it for a loss.

Overall, far too much focus is being paid to the last two stages in this discussion.  Every step in the traveller chain is a gate on the way to those last cards, but you're ignoring them all.  It's not just a matter of drawing into $10 worth of VP.  It's also giving up tempo by playing a dead action (Marco Polo).  It's investing in and playing multiple terminals in a turn (Board A Ship).  It's getting villages and then not using them to full advantage (Visiting Bagdad).  If you get through all that by luck, then we're talking Lucky Chancellor here, and I don't see anybody calling Chancellor too swingy (other than this guy).  So even if the last exchange needs a little more luck (and again, I don't think it does at that stage in the game) then I'd say that it's well earned and well gated.

I agree. It would definitely imply more control for the player who gained a Khan and make it overall less swingy. In a big deck you could draw Khan at the wrong moment when you (think you are) behind.
Anything related to game ending stuff is definitely something you wanna tightly control.

I think that would be a cool change to make, in addition to dropping the VP.

Hmm.. I don't think that logic holds up.  The condition is harder, so it happens less often, but the payoff is better.  Low probability, high value, which is exactly what Tristan is talking about.

On the Silk Road's abilities are good, but if getting Marco Polo outshines the other benefits such that the player that lines up 10 cost with it is very likely going to win over the player that doesn't (hypothetical; I'm not saying that's the case), then it's a little bit moot.

Again, the Lucky Chancellor is a relevant example here.  It has especially low probability and also very high value, but most people don't consider it too swingy or luck-dependent.  As it is, I'd say that Marco Polo has much more space for skilled play to mitigate luck as you progress through each step, and also much lower value if you don't have a plan to back it up.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 04:48:39 pm »

Chancellor is an extremely swingy card.  It's just also an extremely sucky card.  If its effect was on a 4$ Peddler I bet it'd be one of the most complained-of cards in the game.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 07:12:59 pm »

An argument from authority is not fallacious if the authority actually knows what they are talking about.  I believe they do.  IIRC, this kind of stuff is actually rrenaud's job.  I'm not saying that it's automatically right, but that it sure has more weight than your anecdotes. 
An argument from authority is always bad and reactionary. Big difference between BELIEVING that what somebody is claiming is right and actually analyzing it yourself.

Again, the Lucky Chancellor is a relevant example here.  It has especially low probability and also very high value, but most people don't consider it too swingy or luck-dependent.
First of all, you might wanna think yourself instead of just bleating with the herd. Low probability and high output is the very definition of risk. The likelihood that a house burns down is very low but the absolute value of the negative output is pretty large (in the worst case the value of the house is zero or negative if you gotta clean up the rubble).

Naturally you end up with the pretty wrong conclusions about riskiness if you are confused about what it actually means.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:22:57 pm by tristan »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 08:01:34 pm »
+3

I'm a 100 per cent with eHalcyon (at least as far as arguments about the impact and swingyness of the Travellers's effects are concerned) and I think this could be a really fun and interesting concept. I'd like to make images for those cards and test them some day in their current form. 10 VP in the end might be too much or too low or just right, I can't tell, yet. This Traveller line would require quite a lot of skill to play optimally and I like the fact that you achieved this with relatively simple individual cards.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 11:02:50 pm »

eHalcyon, are you having fun?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2016, 02:44:58 am »
+2

I don't really want to be sucked into this, but I'll just say that "very low probability, high impact" is not as bad as "50/50 probability, high impact" (Tournament-ish), because the two players will get different results much more often in the latter case.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2016, 05:28:38 am »
+1

I think that would be a cool change to make, in addition to dropping the VP.

Yes, that was my intend. It does nothing but give you control over when to end the game:

Regent, $8, Action-Reserve
Put this on your Tavern Mat
----
At the start of your turn, you may call this, to end the game.

It could be nonterminal or a cantrip so it doesn't harm your turn, but i think i'd try it like this first.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2016, 12:28:14 pm »

Chancellor is an extremely swingy card.  It's just also an extremely sucky card.  If its effect was on a 4$ Peddler I bet it'd be one of the most complained-of cards in the game.

Swinginess is tied to power.  Chancellor is weak, so it is less swingy.  The upside of a single good Chancellor flip is small; the high value only comes from repeatedly getting lucky, but the chance is so small that we don't find it too swingy.

An argument from authority is always bad and reactionary. Big difference between BELIEVING that what somebody is claiming is right and actually analyzing it yourself.

I've given it enough consideration to lend it my trust.  It's not blind belief.  If you provide some analysis that contradicts what rrenaud has calculated, I would consider that too.  As it is, you haven't given me any reason to believe you know more about statistics than I do, let alone the specifics of TrueSkill and conditional entropy that are key here.  You've only made vague hand-waving statements about it.  Argument from authority is not always bad -- it's done all the time in science, and then you cite the source at the end.

Again, the Lucky Chancellor is a relevant example here.  It has especially low probability and also very high value, but most people don't consider it too swingy or luck-dependent.
First of all, you might wanna think yourself instead of just bleating with the herd. Low probability and high output is the very definition of risk. The likelihood that a house burns down is very low but the absolute value of the negative output is pretty large (in the worst case the value of the house is zero or negative if you gotta clean up the rubble).

Naturally you end up with the pretty wrong conclusions about riskiness if you are confused about what it actually means.

You're misreading again.  You really need to work on that reading comprehension.  I did not say that Chancellor isn't a risk.  Let me be clear - it is.  But it's not too swingy or luck-dependent because the probability is so low.  The modifier in that sentence is important.  I've already explained in detail in my response to pops.

eHalcyon, are you having fun?

It goes back and forth. :P

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2016, 12:36:09 pm »
+2

I originally didn't get involved in this because I thought you guys had cooled off, but I guess I was wrong?  Consider restarting the topic if you want to try again with more civility.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.