Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Peasant (and etc.)  (Read 8656 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Peasant (and etc.)
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:44:53 am »
+3

HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED

-How does this compare to Page?  Do strategies to upgrade more quickly differ between the two cards?
-Which upgrades are the strongest?
-Do any other cards or Events synergize well with Peasant?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Peasant (and etc.)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 11:56:51 am »

I'd imagine the fast upgrade strats would be the same between the 2. This one offers an interesting choice of what to do when you have Disciple but no other actions in hand. Most of the time, I'd assume play it anyway is the right answer. But it sucks to do so.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:36:03 pm »

I'd imagine the fast upgrade strats would be the same between the 2. This one offers an interesting choice of what to do when you have Disciple but no other actions in hand. Most of the time, I'd assume play it anyway is the right answer. But it sucks to do so.

I have actually done that a couple of times irl already--played Disciple with no other actions. It sucks, but Teacher is so good.

Contrary to beliefs that Teacher is too slow, getting whatever token you need on whatever pile you want is super strong. Mind you, Disciple is strong too.

The good thing about Peasant is that it offers a lot of flexibility. If you need +Buy, you're covered. If you need more buying power, upgrade to Solider. Want to get that engine online get Teacher and Disciples.

I'm not 100% sure how to optimally play this card. It offers a lot of decisions. But, on boards where an engine would not otherwise be possible, this can turn things around just like KC and Page can, as well.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 12:38:43 pm »
+3

Noteworthy: This path starts with two stop cards. If you can get past those, the rest can be spectacular. That's a big "if."

If you can do something useful with the Peasant's +buy early, great. If the Soldier's terminal silver will help you get a 5-cost you really need, terrific. If it would be useful later to have the Peasant's +buy due to a lack of other +buy in the Kingdom, maybe you buy two or more so that if they collide it's not a tragedy since you were going to keep one anyway. The trick is that this traveller does almost nothing on his own; it's all about making other cards better. So you have to ask yourself: What other cards are you planning on using, and does Teaching them help enough to matter?

Sifting and cycling is just as important as with Page, but the only one that helps with that is Fugitive. Again, getting there quickly enough is the challenge.

A consideration: Teacher can't put multiple tokens on the same action card, and anyone who has played Lost Arts, Training and Pathfinding knows that Lost Arts on a big terminal draw is incredible, as is Pathfinding on a cantrip. But are you really going to buy a bunch of terminal draw cards to collide with Peasant and Soldier? Probably not. So most of the time, you'll be using Teacher for distributing the +1 Card token and then later the +1 Coin token. On a different action. Because there's nothing better to do with it at that point.

The big picture strategy, I think, has to be:

1. Use Peasant to buy multiple cheap engine pieces, maybe even multiple Peasants if you can handle colliding terminals.
2. Use Soldier to buy more expensive engine pieces.
3. Use Fugitive to cycle into buying more engine pieces and exchanging travelers.
4. Use Disciple to double your key engine piece and gain more copies of it.
5. Use Teacher to make the engine pieces better.

I'm sensing a pattern here. The question is, does a Traveller or two speed up the engine building process more than buying other pieces. Maybe, maybe not. It could be a classic "win more" card. Your engine is working beautifully; using Teacher on a key card turbocharges it to the point where it's way overdrawing, a waste of resources.

I played this 4p Colony IRL recently, and my winning deck could only be described as bizarre. I had one Village-variant, a couple of Bakers, and Travellers. I bought as many Labs as possible. Other than the Travellers, I bought no other terminals or money; nothing that would slow the cycling. By the time I was finished, I had put +1 Card on Lab, I had a couple of Disciples who were reliably hitting Disciple-Lab (draw six cards, accumulate an extra +1 Action, gain a Lab. Nuts.) +1 Coin on Baker, which turned out to be more important than I thought it was going to be since I hadn't bought money, and I actually kept a Peasant and a Soldier deliberately un-exchanged since I was reliably drawing my entire deck with extra actions and needed the +buy, and the extra coin and mild discard attack was a nice bonus.

Was it fast to build all that? Not particularly. It worked great once it was done, but I was left feeling like there was probably a faster strategy available, and my guess is that, with this Traveller, you're going to feel that way a lot of the time.

Any synergies? Would a string of cantrip attacks (Spy, Urchin, Minion, Scrying Pool, Familiar,) + Soldier be interesting enough to just get a Soldier or two for a big wad of cash payload? Can you live the dream and use Teacher to put +1 action on Margrave or Rabble for the Soldier payload? is Fugitive/Tunnel a thing? It's easy to imagine all kinds of wild scenarios; making them work, and making them fast is the big issue.

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 06:25:09 pm »

This seems a little weaker than the Page line. +Action is a strong choice and Champion is a lot better for this, but either line is strong and they will rarely be both on the board.
With both lines you will probably want to start a second traveller, but maybe a bit more with Peasant, because of Disciple.
Disciple is a very strong card on its own, but it has an even better synergy with Teacher, because it gains you the card that you want to put your token on.

Imho Disciple is the card that makes this line viable most of the times.
Unlike the other traveller line it could be a mistake, if you upgrade to a teacher to soon.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:15 pm »

-How does this compare to Page?

Back when all this was just released, I made a non-strategy comparison noting the parallels:

Also, I just remembered an observation I had about the two traveller lines -- they actually parallel each other in effects.

Page and Peasant both have 2 vanilla bonuses (covering all 4 vanilla bonuses between them).
Treasure Hunter and Soldier both give virtual coin.
Warrior and Fugitive both draw cards.
Hero and Disciple both gain cards (Treasure and Action, respectively).
Champion and Teacher both make your other action cards better.

Also, Soldier and Warrior (different levels of traveller but thematically similar) get better based on other cards in play.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 09:47:40 pm »

One note about the difference between Page and Peasant is that Page does "nothing" (or near enough to it) on play, whereas Peasant, in giving the other two vanilla bonuses, is potentially a weak engine component on its own.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 10:22:39 pm »

One note about the difference between Page and Peasant is that Page does "nothing" (or near enough to it) on play, whereas Peasant, in giving the other two vanilla bonuses, is potentially a weak engine component on its own.

OTOH, the bonuses of Peasant are weak enough that sometimes you'd prefer Page's "nothing".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:28:06 pm »

OTOH, the bonuses of Peasant are weak enough that sometimes you'd prefer Page's "nothing".

I would say more than sometimes. Turning a Peasant into a Page is a lot like trashing an Abandoned Mine. Unless you really need the buy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 11:43:28 pm »

True. Given that usually you buy both with the aim of upgrading them, having no real opportunity cost to playing Page probably puts it in a better position as the start of their respective chains. And if you buy Peasant with the aim of getting +Buy, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you're usually better off racing to get Teacher to put the Buy token on an actually useful pile instead.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.