Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Building: Something you can spend money on besides buying cards and events  (Read 4502 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
+7

At the start of the game, each player is given a copy of their own Castle.

Each buy phase, players may choose to spend $1 building their Castle, putting a building token on their Castle if they do.

Castle reads:

Castle - Building

Once Castle has 5 tokens on it, when another player plays an Attack, it doesn't affect you.

The actual Castle card or the text on it doesn't matter here, how about these kinds of cards you can spend some of your money on? You have less money to buy cards, but get something good after you've built your Castle. Besides Castle, there can be various buildings.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
+1

This is too binary for my taste. It might lead to interesting decisions but it might also just act as a deterrent to buying Attacks at all.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile

Interesting concept, but I also agree with Tristan's comment for this particular instantiation.

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
+2

Building - Event $0
Pay the upgrade cost of one of your Buildings. If you do, put an Upgrade token on it.

Castle - Building
Upgrade cost: $1
If this has at least 2 Upgrade tokens on it, when another player plays an attack, you may remove an Upgrade token from this. If you do, you are unaffected by the attack.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
+3

Building - Event $0
Pay the upgrade cost of one of your Buildings. If you do, put an Upgrade token on it.

Castle - Building
Upgrade cost: $1
If this has at least 2 Upgrade tokens on it, when another player plays an attack, you may remove an Upgrade token from this. If you do, you are unaffected by the attack.
Building should have +buy attached.If it doesn't then building buildings is way to slow.
It should also have the once per turn because it takes time to build buildings.
Also this is my 500th post.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
+1

Well, building doesn't cost you a Buy, I could have made that clearer.

It's just something extra you can do during your buy phase, like spending coin tokens, instead you spend one of your available $ on the building instead of towards buying a more expensive card.

For instance, you have $5 to spend with no extra buys, you can get a Smithy and use $1 to build this turn.

I probably could have come up with something more original for the actual card, but the building is the thing I like.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
+4

What about an ability that alters the game in a non-game-breaking way?

Here are some examples for the finished Building:

'at the start of your Buy phase, you may discard up to X Victory Cards from your hand for $1 each.'
'at the start of your turn, look at the top card of your deck. Discard it, put it back, or exchange it for a card from your hand'
'at the start of your turn, Look at the top X cards of your deck. Discard the revealed Curses and Victory cards and put the rest back in any order'
'During Cleanup, you may shuffle an Action card you have in play into your deck'

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile

Well, building doesn't cost you a Buy, I could have made that clearer.

It's just something extra you can do during your buy phase, like spending coin tokens, instead you spend one of your available $ on the building instead of towards buying a more expensive card.

For instance, you have $5 to spend with no extra buys, you can get a Smithy and use $1 to build this turn.

I probably could have come up with something more original for the actual card, but the building is the thing I like.

I think the +Buy suggestion was in response to navical's Event version of it.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

I think that the mechanism is interesting and I also think that the Building should be an infinite duration. I just don''t think that a perma defense is good.
So perhaps you could play around with Hireling variants, i.e. with extra Action and Buy. Extra Coin is too close to Treasury but perma-Baker is an option. Sifters might be too close to Hireling (unless you discard first but then it is just a princed Cellar).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile

This is too binary for my taste. It might lead to interesting decisions but it might also just act as a deterrent to buying Attacks at all.
Like JoaT?

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile

What about an ability that alters the game in a non-game-breaking way?

Here are some examples for the finished Building:

'at the start of your Buy phase, you may discard up to X Victory Cards from your hand for $1 each.'
'at the start of your turn, look at the top card of your deck. Discard it, put it back, or exchange it for a card from your hand'
'at the start of your turn, Look at the top X cards of your deck. Discard the revealed Curses and Victory cards and put the rest back in any order'
'During Cleanup, you may shuffle an Action card you have in play into your deck'

I think these abilities could work as upgrades. For example Level 0 gives you nothing, level 1 gives you X, level 2 gives you Y etc. until you get all of them and get a vp bonus for completing it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile

Here's a revised idea for Castle:

Once Castle has 5 tokens on it, at the start of each turn:
Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded.

So it's basically a Princed Cellar each turn which can be quite good.
Still you have to spend 5 turns building it.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
+3

OK, here's my take on some of the ideas in this thread. You could do this with almost any kind of card that could be made into a permanent duration, but here are two ideas for a trasher and perma-throne-room. I don't like the permanent moat since there's already a card like that (Champion). Personally, I kind of like the idea of the building token costing you a buy. In these examples, the first few building tokens are harder to get because they cost you a buy, but after that it gives +buy. They'd be good to combo with each other. I didn't know if it would be right to limit the number of building tokens you could buy per turn, so I tried one of each.

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
+1

Really nice ideas!
Palace seems a bit cheap but its pretty hard for me to determine that exactly.
Maybe we could make a New type out oft that principle to make the handling easier, like

Palace  2$
Building

When you gain a building it gets set aside for the rest oft the game and there it does what its supposed to do. Then you dont need to play it once etc. Thats a bit like an event but everyone has bis own copy and can have multiples. I think thats much easier than the duration thing. But apart from that i really like your design and the wording Arkenaut!

Edit: could it be that we found a mechanic thats in the direction of landmarks? 8)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 04:35:50 am by BlackHole »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
+1

Here is my stab at Davio's and Ankenaut's idea of out-of-deck perma-durations which you can build over several turns and the additional option of cashing in parts of the Buildings (I called them ■ as symbol for stones) for something.
Some short remarks:  "5 ■ " is short for "While there are 5 or more ­■ on this Building". Merchant Guild is a bit of an unfortunate name as there is already an Action card with the same name.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:40:35 pm by tristan »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile

So it occurs to me that these could just be normal events; no need for a new type or card or anything...

Castle - Event - $1.

+1 Buy
Take a castle token
------------------------------------
When another player plays an attack, if you have 5 castle tokens, it doesn't affect you.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:31:01 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.