Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 3P online tournament (on hold)  (Read 9529 times)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
3P online tournament (on hold)
« on: March 06, 2016, 03:55:24 pm »
+3

Player      PointsMatches played
1.faust    321
2.Lekkit    181
3.traces Around    101
4.Limetime    00
4.Dingan    00
4.Chris is me    00
4.jsh357    00
4.gkrieg13    00
4.Micha1980    00

Schedule:

Round 1: 27 March 2016 - 9 April 2016
Limetime – Dingan - Chris is me
Lekkit - faust - traces Around
jsh357 - gkrieg13 - Micha1980

Round 2: 10 April 2016 - 23 April 2016
Limetime - faust - gkrieg13
Lekkit - Micha1980 - Chris is me
jsh357 - Dingan - traces Around

Round 3: 24 April 2016 - 7 May 2016
Limetime - traces Around - Micha1980
Lekkit - gkrieg13 - Dingan
jsh357 – faust - Chris is me

Round 4: 8 May 2016 - 21 May 2016
Limetime – Lekkit - jsh357
Dingan - Micha1980 - faust
Chris is me - traces Around - gkrieg13

Rules:

There are four rounds, each of which lasts 2 weeks.  This is to give people a chance to schedule a time together, which could be tricky.  If this is not long enough, PM me and we can make something work.  You may play your matches sooner if all players agree to it, but I will be reminding people when their round is scheduled to start.  You may also split your matches up over multiple days if that is more convenient. 

Each match consists of 6 games, with each player going first twice.  This will require you to do the Making Fun dance, which is fortunately easier than previous iterations. 

After the match, one player will post the results in this thread, stating which match it was and the results of each game, preferably with game logs to alleviate confusion.  If game logs are not included, please use the following format:
Game 1:
1st – [Player 1]; 2nd – [Player 2]; 3rd – [Player 3]
Game 2:
1st – [Player 3]; 2nd – [Player 1]; 3rd – [Player 2]
Etc.

Scoring will be as such, for each game:
8 points for 1st place
4 points of 1st place tie
2 points for 2nd place
1 point for 2nd place tie
0 points for 3rd place

If they choose to do so, the three players with the most points at the end of the season may play a playoff match to determine the winner.  Otherwise, the player with the most points at the end of the season wins. 

Please do not resign or quit.  Any game not played through to the end will be counted as incomplete and will have to be replayed.  If you believe that the outcome of the game (all three places) was inevitable, and all players agree, you may include it in your results. 

If anyone has a problem with the rules, please PM me.  If enough people disagree with a certain part of the rules, I will be happy to change it.  If a player wishes to drop out, they will be replaced. 

Original post (for posterity):

With all of the talk around new online tournaments, I've been interested in getting a 3-player online tournament going.  If there's interest for this, I'd be willing to organize one, or if someone else wants to that would be cool.  The biggest issue would probably be scheduling, and therefore my idea is to have the matches be less frequent, maybe one every 2 weeks.  Depending on how many people are interested, this could go on for a few months, which is totally fine.  I also know that many people really have an aversion to 3-player games, so that's another advantage of the matches being less frequent, so players don't get sick of the format. 

Ideas for rules include:
3-game matches, with each player going first once
Each player is guaranteed to play each other player at least once, with possible repeats as necessary
Scoring can be weighted in such a fashion as 5 points for a win, 2 points for 2nd place, 3 points each for a tie
A playoff match between the top 3 players after the regular schedule is complete
No resignations or quits; any game not played through to the end is invalid (this is much more important in 3P)
Any other suggestions that people might have

If I'm running this tournament, I'd be fine with not playing, although I'd love to see some streams.  Let me know what you think of this idea and if you'd be interested in participating or helping out in any way.  This also doesn't have to start right away, maybe after Limetime's current tournament is done. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:41:29 am by J Reggie »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Re: 3P online tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:16:25 pm »
+2

Instead of talking about it you could just try to do it. My next tournament hasn't even started and my previous one is over.

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 04:52:44 pm »

Instead of talking about it you could just try to do it. My next tournament hasn't even started and my previous one is over.

Yeah, feel free to "/in" if you want to participate.  I'm still open to suggestions for how people would like to see this run, and if people are interested at all.  But if we do get enough people, then I'll finalize the rules and we can get this thing kicked off.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 04:57:28 pm »

/in i guess

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 05:52:30 pm »
+1

I would be /in.  I just want it to start when the league is in a break

Micha1980

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 07:01:24 am »

interested ...

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 02:13:20 pm »

I would be in, assuming scheduling can work out.  I'm fine with whatever rules/formats.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 03:46:29 pm »
+1

If this is still a thing I'll do it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 05:21:41 am »

Yeah, I'm still planning on doing this, once we get enough people. On scoring, I'm currently leaning towards 8 points for first place, 2 points for second place, and half of the points for a tie (4 points for first place tie, 1 point for second place tie). I might end up playing if it's necessary to get enough participants, although only if everyone agrees that's OK.

I really think this community needs some competitive 3P games; people don't seem to give them enough credit. Personally I feel like they take more skill and thought than 2P games because there are more variables.

If you know of anyone else who would be interested in this, let them know about it!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 06:34:00 am »

I'd be up for it.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 10:48:20 am »

/in
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 04:38:29 am »
+2

My goal is to have at least 9 people in this, so we can have 3 games each round. Right now we have 6 people who said they would do it, plus two maybes (including me), so we need 1-3 more people. Hopefully we can get started within the next week.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 03:45:21 am »

Official /in if I wasn't clear before. :D

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 04:11:30 pm »

Gotta start somewhere. /in.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 04:14:28 pm »

I'll play
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: 3P online tournament - one spot left
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 06:35:10 pm »

Hi all,

We're one spot away from starting this, assuming that I play.  I'll randomize the match order so there shouldn't be a problem, but if anyone has any concerns I can address them.  Once we get one more player, I can generate the matchups and we can start!  Let's try to get this going next week?  I'm so excited to see how this goes.

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 06:36:17 pm »

I believe I already /ind a few posts ago

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 06:36:24 pm »

I would be /in.  I just want it to start when the league is in a break

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 06:48:03 pm »

/tag
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 06:52:15 pm »

Ok cool, we've got enough people without me, so I'll generate the schedule and send out PMs in a bit.

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 06:42:02 pm »

The tournament is underway! If anyone's planning to stream any matches, you can announce that in this thread or of course the general streams thread.

Again, don't hesitate to PM me with any questions/concerns/whatever. I hope you all enjoy the tournament!

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 02:40:52 pm »
+1

No logs - but with the other format.

Game 1:
1st: faust, 2nd: tracer, 3rd: Lekkit

Game 2:
1st: Lekkit, 2nd: tracer, 3rd: faust

Game 3:

Game 4:
1st: Lekkt, 2nd: tracer, 3rd: faust

Game 5:
1st: faust, 2nd: Lekkit, 3rd: tracer

Game 6:

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 04:14:44 pm »
+3

Now with 24 hours gone and logs available, I can give some commentray on our match!

Game 1
This game has some University/Watchtower engine going. All of us went mostly for the same strategy. I open Chancellor over Lekkit and tracer's Warehouses... I still kinda like that. It makes it possible to get an Upgrade in the second shuffle (that doesn't work) and cycles the Potion better. The game also shows tht 3-piling is tricky in 3-player, and opens some interesting tactical thoughts... like if you're ahead, almost deplete the pile, and if the player with the second most VP takes his turn after yours, he has to consider ending the game in order to not get last place.

Game 2
I try to ignore Jack and well you shouldn't do that. Pile splits are tricky in 3-player because one player will always come out ahead. In this case Lekkit wins the Minion split, and I think that helped him a lot going forward. tracer's more money-based approach could have worked I think if he had lowered piles more aggressively.

Game 3
The opening here is the most interesting thing I believe. tracer and me both go for Potion, while Lekkit skips that in favor of Nomad Camp into Goons. I think Goons over Potion could have worked here, but being forced to take that Nomad Camp is bad on a board without Villages. Also I feel it was a mistake for him to get a Potion later on. I get lucky with an early Grand Market, and it just snowballs from there.

Game 4
I like my deck here, but it just comes together too late. I guess I needed more economy early to get a Hunting Grounds soon. I guess my opening also put me at a slight disadvantage.

Game 5
Log for this one is mysteriously missing. I remember it was some Mountebank slogfest. I got lucky with 5/5 in the second shuffle and that was that.

Game 6
A crazy one to end with? With Steward, KC, Possession, Hamlet and Peddler, there was so much potential. I think Steward/Steward opening here is just hands down better than Remake, as you mainly want Hamelt early and you can still get those while trashing with Steward. I get KC-Possession set up first, and in the middle of my second Possession turn I realize that I can just end the game.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 04:33:19 am »
+2

Now with 24 hours gone and logs available, I can give some commentray on our match!

Game 1
This game has some University/Watchtower engine going. All of us went mostly for the same strategy. I open Chancellor over Lekkit and tracer's Warehouses... I still kinda like that. It makes it possible to get an Upgrade in the second shuffle (that doesn't work) and cycles the Potion better. The game also shows tht 3-piling is tricky in 3-player, and opens some interesting tactical thoughts... like if you're ahead, almost deplete the pile, and if the player with the second most VP takes his turn after yours, he has to consider ending the game in order to not get last place.

Three piling in three players is super fun. And complex.

Game 2
I try to ignore Jack and well you shouldn't do that. Pile splits are tricky in 3-player because one player will always come out ahead. In this case Lekkit wins the Minion split, and I think that helped him a lot going forward. tracer's more money-based approach could have worked I think if he had lowered piles more aggressively.

The piles were running super low and I was very afraid someone would three-pile with Stonemason. This is one of these fun boards where you go Jack into engine. At least I think that's what's best here. Getting a favorable Minion split also helps.

Game 3
The opening here is the most interesting thing I believe. tracer and me both go for Potion, while Lekkit skips that in favor of Nomad Camp into Goons. I think Goons over Potion could have worked here, but being forced to take that Nomad Camp is bad on a board without Villages. Also I feel it was a mistake for him to get a Potion later on. I get lucky with an early Grand Market, and it just snowballs from there.

In retrospect, going Nomad Camp -> Goons was probably not that well thought out. I ended up getting the 4/6 split. But I think going for a Gold first would actually be better here. And getting on the Familiar train WAY too late really hurt me as well.

Game 4
I like my deck here, but it just comes together too late. I guess I needed more economy early to get a Hunting Grounds soon. I guess my opening also put me at a slight disadvantage.

Even with Lighthouse here, I think Swindler/Swindler is a very strong opening. I had a couple of nice draws to get my stuff going early, with very few (if any) terminal collisions.

Game 5
Log for this one is mysteriously missing. I remember it was some Mountebank slogfest. I got lucky with 5/5 in the second shuffle and that was that.

There was also Salvager and Counterfeit, IIRC. Mountebank games are even sloggier in 3p games than 2p games.

Game 6
A crazy one to end with? With Steward, KC, Possession, Hamlet and Peddler, there was so much potential. I think Steward/Steward opening here is just hands down better than Remake, as you mainly want Hamelt early and you can still get those while trashing with Steward. I get KC-Possession set up first, and in the middle of my second Possession turn I realize that I can just end the game.

I had some idea for Remake, but I can't remember why. In general I feel like I didn't play my best in any of the games, but I had lots of fun regardless.

Once again, thanks to traces Around and faust for a very enjoyable series of games. Oh! And Dominion Online very much agreed with us and we had to do no resets.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 02:47:07 pm »

I don't think our round is happening. I'm out, I guess?
We tried several times to make it work, but it's looking like our schedules are too incompatible.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.