Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another approach to an Alchemy sequel  (Read 1603 times)

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
Another approach to an Alchemy sequel
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »
+1

A while back, Doom_Shark posted a proposed second half to Alchemy.  Though the idea was shelved for a while, I'd really like to see Alchemy get a bit more love, and it did set me thinking about what an Alchemy sequel would look like.  Alchemy introduced a new cost - what about introducing a new value?  So here are some quick thoughts on cards which give you an alternate score.  Not alternate VP cards, but an alternative to VP.  These cards give you Story Points at the end of the game; if a kingdom contains at least one of these cards then at the end of the game, you score the minimum of your VP and your SP, so they're not ignorable.

Genie of the Lamp
Action - Fairytale - 2P
Worth 5SP.
Do this three times: Name a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal the named card or a treasure.  If you reveal a treasure, discard the revealed cards.  Otherwise, put the named card into your hand and discard the rest.

Genie of the Ring
Treasure - Fairytale - P
Worth 2SP.
When you play this, reveal your hand.  If you have at least one Action card in hand, +$2.

Efreet
Action - Attack - Fairytale - 3P
Worth 1SP for every 3 attack cards in your deck.
Each other player with at least five cards in hand chooses and reveals three cards.  You choose one of the revealed and trash it.

Marid
Action - Fairytale - 2P
Set aside this card and set another card from your hand aside, under it.
--
At the end of the game, this card is worth 1SP for each 1VP that the card under it is worth, to a minimum of 0SP.

Ghul
Action - Fairytale - 1P
Trash up to two cards from your hand.  Gain a card from the supply or trash costing up to the total cost of the trashed cards.
Worth 2SP for each differently-named card in the trash.

Dragon
Action - Fairytale - 1P
Trash an action card from your hand.  Gain a treasure card costing up to twice the cost of the trashed card.
Worth 1SP for each treasure costing at least $5 in your deck.

I may add some more of these later.  It occurs to me that this might be the way to get "you want curses" to work.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Another approach to an Alchemy sequel
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 02:21:46 pm »
+1

This might be a valid thing, but i don't see how it is a second half to Alchemy. This seems more like an original small expansion with Potion costs pasted on its cards. Dragon even seems anti-Alchemy givem its "Action to Treasure" approach. Genie of the Lamp wants a treasureless deck, so it fits, and i think Genie of the Ring could be seen as either thematic or antithematic. Other than that, i'd say this is better off on its own - although i'm not sure i'd enjoy a game with fairytale cards. I find cards that force you to play with them a pain, as they reduce the strategical space.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:22:48 pm by Asper »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 03:18:58 pm »
+2

I have a name suggestion for this set: Bomb

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 05:18:50 am »
+1

This seems more like an original small expansion with Potion costs pasted on its cards.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case.  I'm still no good at pricing :-)

I find cards that force you to play with them a pain, as they reduce the strategical space.

Yeah, that's fair...

I have a name suggestion for this set: Bomb

...but that's harsh, man.  Ouch.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 07:54:50 am »
+1

I don't immediately dislike the concept of Story Points, but I don't like the idea of pairing it with Potion-cost cards.

Potions are expensive (strategically) and cleanly split Kingdoms into two different strategies: Story Point cards with Potion costs make Potions literally mandatory.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.