Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Game Variants  (Read 4320 times)

iambeaker

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Game Variants
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:24:27 pm »

Reading another post, got me thinking about this...

Game variations:

Monopoly - Must purchase all Provinces or Colonies in one turn
K-Mart Clearance Special - Must purchase all Colonies and two of the Victory card piles in one turn
Death by Dominion - All attacks must be accompanied by King's Court or Throne Room

kazztawdal

• Salvager
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: Game Variants
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:42:46 pm »

I had an idea a while ago where the game featured a "Monster."  Each time anyone gained a Victory card, the VP value of the card was dealt in "damage" to the Monster.  He would have around 30-60 "hit points" (dependent on the number of players and presence of Colonies).  Gaining VP tokens would have no effect.

When the monster reached zero hit points, the person who dealt the final damage to him gained the Monster card.  I was always wondering to myself what the Monster card should do; at first I gave that player 10 VP and ended the game right then, but at the moment I'm considering the Monster being worth 6-10 VP and additionally being an Action (perhaps an Attack action). 

Probably he would be "worth" 0 coins, and I would almost certainly make him untrashable.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:47:52 pm »

Love the Monster idea.  Seems like a good way to earn a Prize-level card with a little less bias towards whoever is already ahead, as with Tournament.

iambeaker:  Those first two sound like good solitaire game objectives.  Not sure how the third would work:  Are you saying if you have an attack card in hand, you can't play it unless you have TR/KC?  Or that playing an attack card would be implicitly TR'ed or KC'ed?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:49:55 pm by rinkworks »

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:39:31 pm »

Love the Monster idea.  Seems like a good way to earn a Prize-level card with a little less bias towards whoever is already ahead, as with Tournament.

iambeaker:  Those first two sound like good solitaire game objectives.  Not sure how the third would work:  Are you saying if you have an attack card in hand, you can't play it unless you have TR/KC?  Or that playing an attack card would be implicitly TR'ed or KC'ed?

I think what the OP was getting at is not "what game variants can you think of" and more "What additional vanity awards would you like to see on Council Room". Or something similar. I honestly have no idea what iambeaker actually meant, but it would seem that his suggestions fit better with the second question than the first which was actually used.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:30:08 pm »

Considering that they're all very difficult to do, near impossible given certain setups, it's hard to say.  He could have been going for game variations that favor building up to one glorious turn.
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

kazztawdal

• Salvager
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:19:24 pm »

I guess we'll never know.

Now post ideas for the Monster card!

enigma

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:52:19 pm »

Here's an idea for not so much a "Monster" Card, but a card that might show up if various political powers started getting sufficiently powerful/wealthy:

Elite Mercenary Band $0*
Action/Attack/Prize
Initially given to the player who gains the Xth victory point of the game.
+ 1 Action

All other players must discard down to 3 cards
After they do so, you will reveal all treasure cards in your hand.
If any other player has treasure cards in their hand that are worth more $ than the treasure cards you reveal,
they may discard those treasure cards to gain this card in their discard pile.
If nobody else gains this card, +1 Card, +$3

It makes things interesting, promotes big money a bit and provides some potential for someone who missed out the first time to steal the card from someone overconfident. I'm not sure if/how potions should be counted for this though...

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.591 seconds with 20 queries.