Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Werewolves of Miller's Hollow  (Read 2743 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
« on: March 05, 2016, 06:03:57 pm »

Is anyone familiar with this game? It's very similar to Mafia, but a far as I know, people only play it in real life. There aren't a ton of differences, but I think they're different enough that Werewolves deserves its own thread. I play this quite a lot with college students and alum, it's always a hit.

I have read about it online, and apparently people have different systems for voting on who to lynch. My system is at the end of the day, I count down from 10 and then everyone points at the person who they want to lynch (I'm the moderator). This ensures that every day is the same time length and people can vote for whoever they want.

Are there any combinations of roles that you like to see or hate to see? Combos such as Witch and Little Girl in the same set break the game, but Little Girl is generally pretty broken. I have the expansion set that includes the cards Elder, Scapegoat, Village Idiot, Pied Piper and Bodyguard. I really enjoy the Pied Piper.

Finally are there any advanced tips and tricks that you'd like to give? I've recently started the game during the day instead of the night, as it's frustrating to be killed before the game even starts.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 06:56:34 pm »

It's just a commercial version of Mafia.  I don't know of any differences other than theme.  Voting works differently with IRL Mafia too, because the medium pretty much requires it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:19:52 pm »

Isn't that just your typical Werewolf game?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:31:35 am »

It's the dominant version of Werewolf in France, played it countless times. It has vague rules which encourages coming up with your own (we often play without revealing roles upon death for example).

And yes, the Little Girl is a stupid, broken role.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 06:55:53 am »

I got the game "Ultimate Werewolf" by Ted Alspahc as a present some time ago and I have to say that I much prefer that implementation of Mafia. The roles are just on standard cards instead of cardboard, but everything else is so much better.

- more roles, and no stupid roles like Little Girl
- a second scum faction
- numbers on the role cards that roughly indicate the power of the role, to help design a balanced setup
- the ability and name of the role is actually written on the cards. That one seemed like such an obvious design choice, and such a fatal flaw of Werewolves of Miller's Hollow. Ever played the game with newbs and random role, and you had to explain every single role multiple times, or everyone needed to read the rulebook before the game started to not give hints as to who has a PR? No more!

Also, some general advice for IRL werewolf:
- if you have an open setup, and all players sufficiently familiar with the game, you can have daystart and the player that gets lynched takes the moderator role. This allows everyone to play the game.
- you can do simple semi-open setups, like take 3 PRs and randomly pick 2 of them to be in the game. If you want to spice things up, you can show the remaining card to the Werewolves, giving them a fakeclaim.
- our lynching plan is as follows: in a first round, everyoe can (simultaneously) point on two different players. The two (or more in case of ties) players with the most votes get nominated. Then each of them may hold a final speech (noone else may speak). Afterwards, everyone has a single vote to determine who to lynch. The upside of this is that PRs can claim when they are in trouble.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 07:16:24 am »

WoMH has aesthetics on its side though. Those cards might not be the most practical thing ever but :
a) they can't all be
b) they look very nice
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.