Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Mission  (Read 14393 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Mission
« on: March 04, 2016, 08:56:05 am »
+7

Mission: Impossible.... to buy things.

*dun   dun   dun dun  dun   dun   dun dun*

-Which cards like Mission?
-How does it compare to other extra turn generating cards?
-Is it ever worth buying on boards where the only way to gain cards is through buying?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Mission
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 09:20:46 am »

You could potentially voluntarily skip a bad turn, say you played Apothecary, only reached $4 and left 4 VP cards on top; or after you've been badly Rabbled.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 09:22:46 am »
+2

If you don't want any $4s and you know your Chapel/Count/Forge is in your next set of cards.

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:32 am »

I can see this being used with cultists to attempt an overwhelming victory at the ruins split, might also be worth with cursers if you´re sure to give out the last curse. But I think the cultist option is far stronger, and even though I have never played adventures, with some luck, I can see it being decisive in quite a few games.

Overall, I feel that this will be very board depending, being useless in many/most boards and situationally pretty strong. Quite like Outpost already is, though in very different situations.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 10:10:59 am »
+1

You can buy things on Mission turns. You just can't buy cards, but events are still allowed.

Mission is good when there are things other than buying cards you want do on your turns. That can be gaining stuff in other ways, attacking, trashing, getting events, or speeding up the development of your travellers.

Petrovic

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:31:26 am »
+1

I could see this as quite strong on boards with Tactician and Scheme. Hit those two cards in one turn once and every buying turn thereafter could be +5 cards, +1 action, +1 buy.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 10:34:54 am »

I could see this as quite strong on boards with Tactician and Scheme. Hit those two cards in one turn once and every buying turn thereafter could be +5 cards, +1 action, +1 buy.

Minus the $4 and a Buy you have to use on Mission every Tac turn. Still probably worth it, but not exactly as good as a full Tac turn every turn.

Anyway, Mission's super good and you should consider buying it basically any time you don't want a $4 and your deck does important things other than buying cards. It will end up making the difference in games with Chapel, Steward, Remake, Cultist, Rebuild, Mountebank, Travellers, Ambassador... Basically, all of the best cards in the game.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 10:37:10 am »

Like the Travellers, Urchin and Hermit can benefit from Mission turns.  With Urchin, you just want to get to Mercenary ASAP.  With Hermit, a Mission turn is a perfect opportunity to get a Madman and gain a 3-cost card.

It can feel like cheating when Mission is on the same board as Ball, Seaway, Summon, or Alms (and there are 4- cost cards worth grabbing).

I believe Mission is a pretty high-skill event.  It rewards deck-tracking and accurately evaluating the value of buying a card vs. other stuff.

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 11:10:25 am »
+3

This looks really strong with all junking attacks. You play one turn as normal and use the extra turn to junk your opponent.

All gainers are obviously very strong with this too.

Coin tokens seem very powerful with this. With Baker/Plaza/Candlestick Maker you can use the first turn just for token generation and have a great payload on the second turn.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 11:17:23 am »

This looks really strong with all junking attacks. You play one turn as normal and use the extra turn to junk your opponent.

Coin tokens seem very powerful with this. With Baker/Plaza/Candlestick Maker you can use the first turn just for token generation and have a great payload on the second turn.
For the token thing if this is the only thing you are doing if you don't get more than 4 tokens it isn't worth it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 12:35:17 pm »
+1

For the token thing if this is the only thing you are doing if you don't get more than 4 tokens it isn't worth it.

A coin token is better than virtual coin.  It can be worth it as long as you generate more coin tokens than you spent on Mission, which may be as low as 0.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 12:43:52 pm »

A coin token is better than virtual coin.  It can be worth it as long as you generate more coin tokens than you spent on Mission, which may be as low as 0.

This. Even if you just generate a single coin token, it's better than nothing and sometimes you don't want anything else for $4 or less.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 12:53:10 pm »

(Some of this has already been said, but...)

I can see this synergizing with
  • junking attacks (you don't need to buy stuff in order for these to be effective)
  • gainers
  • Durations, coin tokens, VP tokens, and basically anything else from which you get a benefit but don't necessarily need to spend right now
  • cycling
And like Outpost, it seems like the better deck you already have, the more effective/powerful Mission would be.  No one wants to pay for Mission only to then draw nothing but Treasures (except for the cycling).

EDIT: I understand why you have the "If the previous turn wasn't yours" clause, but I will not have a fun time explaining that to my IRL friends.  It will be similar to how I never really have a good explanation for why Bridge says "including cards in players' hands".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:27:48 pm by Dingan »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 01:50:43 pm »
+1

You can buy things on Mission turns. You just can't buy cards, but events are still allowed.

Events aren't "things"!  ;)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 02:56:26 pm »

Events aren't "things"!  ;)

Events are "cards", but not cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 05:22:28 pm »

A few more nice things about Mission turns:

1. It allows you to get compounding effects when the board does not otherwise support it. For instance, say you have no villages, but some easy +buys (e.g. Market), Mission can allow you to play both a Militia and a Masq on the Mission turn. A more common setup is something like Attack (e.g. Fortune teller) -> Mission -> heavy trashing (e.g. Steward) compounds nicely as well. More powerfully, something like Nec -> Torturer x2 -> Mission -> Nec -> Torturer x2 is exceedingly harsh. Even something like Cutpurse as your only terminal can make Mission stronger when you can stack it (e.g. Cellar/Lab/Cutpurse/Market).

Perhaps the most powerful example is with Masq pins. Mission lets you double the number of dead Masq plays so Kc/Masq/Mission/terminal $ is a able to chew through cards. Tr/Masq/Mission/terminal $ leaves your opponent with just one card which is often enough to overcome a large VP deficit.

2. In addition to getting to Teacher, Champion, etc. sooner, Mission also works pretty decent with Stash. Smithy/Stash/Mission let me churn ~15 cards every 2 turns. You cannot shrug off Ruins & Curses so well, but you can beat a decent number of money & slogs.

3. Using Mission to stack your next turn is often very worth it. $4 so I can trigger reshuffles with 2 villages and 2 draw? Good fun. Or draw into a block of 6-9 junk cards & then pay $4 to discard them? Absolutely.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 06:40:25 pm »

This card can be very interesting with certain engines. I see a possible synergy with heavy trashing, VP and money token cards, good gainers and actions with delayed benefit. Just to name some of the cards: Chapel, Monument, Bishop, Horn of Plenty, Smugglers, maybe Explorer/Mint, Butcher, Tournament, Candlestick Maker, Upgrade, Rebuild, Buerocrat and Taxman. Interestingly Count fits in many categories, because it can trash the hand, topdeck a card for the next turn or gain Duchies.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 06:46:12 pm »
+2

Playing Scout on Mission turn can be quite effective, it's safe to say it's in Scout's top 30 conbos. Playing Scout on a mission turn makes your next hand better if you have no action-victory cards or treasure-victory cards.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 07:03:57 pm »
+3

All these little things that you can do on a Mission turn is cool and all, but the event still costs $4. I wouldn't want to forego having good $4 cards in my deck by buying Mission until the mid-game to late-game.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 11:18:53 pm »

Playing Scout on Mission turn can be quite effective, it's safe to say it's in Scout's top 30 conbos. Playing Scout on a mission turn makes your next hand better if you have no action-victory cards or treasure-victory cards.
Even if I could buy scout on my mission turn I would prefer to buy mission.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 02:08:50 am »

I just played a game today with this and Alms. Man, these two combo amazingly well with each other.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 10:26:13 am »
+1

I just played a game today with this and Alms. Man, these two combo amazingly well with each other.

As in, you can use Alms on your extra Mission turn to . . . gain the card you could have bought instead on Mission on your regular turn?

(Okay, I know that's not exactly how it works, but that's the first thing I thought.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:29:33 am by Eran of Arcadia »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 08:59:33 pm »

As in, you can use Alms on your extra Mission turn to . . . gain the card you could have bought instead on Mission on your regular turn?

(Okay, I know that's not exactly how it works, but that's the first thing I thought.)

Yup. That's exactly what I did. Every time I hit $4, I just bought Mission instead which is great because of the deck cycling and ability to play other cards, in this case playing Forager more often.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 09:06:22 pm »

That's exactly it. Outside of edge cases, Alms completely eliminates the opportunity cost of buying Mission.

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 10:52:53 pm »

That's exactly it. Outside of edge cases, Alms completely eliminates the opportunity cost of buying Mission.

That's not really true; by buying Mission and then gaining the card using Alms, you've cycled your deck an extra turn. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.