Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Discussion - Future Contests  (Read 12215 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Treasure Chest Discussion - Future Contests
« on: March 03, 2016, 01:15:26 pm »

This thread is for discussion of which contests to run and in which order.

Current Slots:

Original Set:
13 Kingdom Cards - Intrigue x2, Seaside x2, Alchemy, Prosperity x2, Cornucopia, Hinterlands x2, Dark Ages x2, Guilds
5 Prizes

New Set:
13(?) Kingdom Cards - Base, Adventures x2, Promo, 9 Slots Remaining
? Events

Possiblilities for Remaining Slots:
  • Empires (2 slots - should be released well before this finishes)
  • Additional Card for existing expansions (6/7 slots if all large sets, depending on whether Empires is included; 9 slots if all existing sets)
  • Cross-set mechanics - (4 or 5 slots depending on how it's divided)
    • Example 1: Seaside-Hinterlands, Alchemy-Cornucopia-Guilds, 2-of-Intrigue-Prosperity-Dark Ages-Adventures, Other 2
    • Example 2: Seaside-Hinterlands, Alchemy-Cornucopia, Prosperity-Guilds, Intrigue-Dark Ages, Adventures-Empires
  • Traveller (2 additional slots if it's the second Adventures card)
  • Second Chance (1+ slots - I'm envisioning people picking their favorite ideas someone else submitted and resubmitting them as-is or tweaked)

Example Proposals:
  • Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Adventures, Empires x3
  • Intrigue, Seaside, Alchemy, Prosperity, Cornucopia, Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Guilds, Adventures
  • Empires x2, Cross-set x4, Traveller, 2nd Chance
  • Empires x2, Cross-set x5, 2nd Chance x2

(Also note that if we include Empires, we may want some Landmarks, and depending on how those work we may want to reduce the number of slots available.)

Order:

I postponed the Seaside deadline in part because of the possibility that cards submitted for Intrigue may be resubmitted (as is or tweaked) for that contest if they didn't win. Given that this is more likely to happen with the cards submitted for main expansions (rather than something like a Promo or Event), I am intending in future to retain some overlap in voting but alternate between expansion cards and other stuff.

Whereas the original contest ordered the sets randomly, I have done them chronologically so far (after finishing the first round with Adventures). However, I could see an argument for mixing things up so that less similar expansions are next to each other, in terms of theme (we're probably ok here doing things in chronological order) or complexity (not so much).

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Discussion - Future Contests
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:17:37 pm »

Is the original set completely finished?

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 01:25:41 pm »

No; we are working through the second round of large expansion cards (Intrigue and Seaside in progress, Prosperity, Hinterlands, and Dark Ages to come).

For the sequel, we have done one card for Base and Adventures, and a single Event.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:31:27 pm »
+1

We'll probably want some space for Landmarks and we won't know how much space is needed until we know how they actually work.

Not sure of a promo slot.  The promos aren't cohesive and don't have any particular theme.  If we do a promo contest, won't it essentially be a free-for-all?  Even if we do design something as a promo, it would be missing the point to include it in the set itself.  It's a promo, after all.  ;)

(I see that some of this is addressed in the poll options.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:33:21 pm by eHalcyon »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 04:41:04 pm »

I like the idea of having one promo slot. It can be the place where people put their ideas that didn't fit neatly into an existing contest. Or you can add an additional design restriction to it - like have it that it needs to be inspired by another game, and let people guess which one.

I kind of like the idea of just rounding out this mini-set, then looking for ideas to start a new contest later. I'm against designing Empires stuff mainly because by the time we'd be having that contest we'd still be getting used to the real Empires cards and I think it will take a while to understand the new mechanisms and the relative strengths and weaknesses of everything. And I do want to have some opportunity to design cross-set cards, but I kind of want to see it handled separately to keep this set neat.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 05:53:00 pm »

I'm against designing Empires stuff mainly because by the time we'd be having that contest we'd still be getting used to the real Empires cards and I think it will take a while to understand the new mechanisms and the relative strengths and weaknesses of everything. And I do want to have some opportunity to design cross-set cards, but I kind of want to see it handled separately to keep this set neat.

Man. I still feel that way about adventure cards. Which is why I have declined to participate as a submitter or a voter in those contests for the most part.

I think the quality of submissions will be vastly improved once people are able to play on the online platform for a significant period of time, which isn't to say the submissions were poor. I really don't know as I didn't view most of them. The same will likely hold true for Empires.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 07:29:51 pm »

We need a chance to get to know Empires before making fan cards for it. We know almost nothing about it yet.

If we do cross-set mechanics (which I hope we do), I don't think it should be limited to certain expansions. There can be fan cards that use both coin tokens and ruins, or victory tokens and coin tokens, or a potion card using an adventures token (I don't make potion cards, but that makes me think a card like Circus or Paladin might be good with a potion cost because they're strong and you'd probably always want as many of them as you can get).

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 12:17:31 pm »

Based on the poll, I'm tentatively assigning the following slots:

Base, Adventures, Adventures Traveller, (Traveller), (Traveller), Empires, Empires, Promo, Cross-Set, Cross-Set, (?), (?), Events/Landmarks

Of course, we won't know for a little while how much space Landmarks will take up, but we'll likely still be finishing the original contest when we find out, so that's fine. At the moment, I'm leaning toward making one of the remaining slots a sort of free-for-all (not in the "submit your cwaziest ideas", like a Promo, but rather cards which could have fit in one of the existing contests or one of the potential contests in the poll that didn't get enough support to warrant a slot on its own).

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 05:59:02 pm »
+5

Hi all, just popping in so you don't think I've abandoned you. I've actually been sick most of the week, and given that Empires is imminent at this point I will likely resume the contest after Empires is released (so two more weeks, ish).

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 01:12:48 pm »
+1

Now that we know Landmarks are single cards like Events, we can break down the set as follows:

11 Kingdom Cards with Randomizers (121 cards) - Base, Adventures, Adventures (Traveller), Empires, Empires, Promo, Cross-Set, Cross-Set, (?), (?), (?)
4 Additional Traveller Piles (20 cards)
5? Events
4? Landmarks

Each Victory card selected will take away an Event and a Landmark, I guess?

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 02:52:02 pm »

For the Empires slots, would split piles be eligible in both contests, or one specific one?

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 02:57:06 pm »

Likely both? Split piles are going to be a lot easier to manage than Travellers.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 11:30:03 am »
+1

This wouldn't be an official part of the contest, but I'm wondering if there would be any interest in a couple bonus rounds for designing cards which would fit in to fan expansions. Seasons and Enterprise are the ones that jump out as obvious candidates.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 11:47:03 am »

This wouldn't be an official part of the contest, but I'm wondering if there would be any interest in a couple bonus rounds for designing cards which would fit in to fan expansions. Seasons and Enterprise are the ones that jump out as obvious candidates.
Yes Yes and again yes!, also Roots and Renewal might be fun to do as well, even though it's distinctive qualities are less distinctive.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 01:10:28 pm »

Definitely yes. That sounds like fun.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 04:15:53 pm »

Thinking about it some more, here are the candidates Id like to see:
Season Card
Trade Tokens
Spell
Spellcaster
Prime Token

Once I finish Terrains and Buildings I would love to see more of those as well.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 02:45:41 pm »

With the Dark Ages contest (finally) entering final voting, we are about to wrap up the original contest.

So far for the extended contest, we have done one card for Adventures, one for the Base set, three Events, and one Landmark. Counting randomizers, that's 26 cards accounted for. The remaining planned contests:

Adventures Traveller (31 cards)
Empires (11 cards)
Empires (11 cards)
Promo (11 cards)
Cross-Set (11 cards)
Cross-Set (11 cards)
Landmark (1 card)
Seasons (11 cards)
Enterprise (11 cards)
??? (11 cards)
Events/Landmarks or extra copies of Victory cards (4 cards)

However, given that 2016 is almost over, and considering how slowly I have been going anyway, I am thinking I may put this on hiatus until early next year - for one thing, this will give everyone more time to get used to Empires (and Dominion Online 2017).

(However, if someone wants to step in and keep it going, I won't be offended by that either. Things have just been too crazy here.)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 03:53:37 pm »
+2

I volunteer for that position. I am also ok with partnering with someone else if someone else wants to do it too.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 04:30:12 pm »
+1

I volunteer for that position. I am also ok with partnering with someone else if someone else wants to do it too.
I can help with whatever.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 04:31:59 am »
+3

Hey Mith,

If no one objects, I'd be happy to take it over for a while. Just let me know in what order you want the next competitions to go and I'll organize them. if you have any tips to watch out for, I'd be happy to incorporate them.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 01:09:36 pm »
+1

Yep, go for it. I was going to do something like this for order:

Adventures 2 Traveller (this will have to be a multi-stage contest, though I hadn't decided exactly how to do it; possibly the first round would be open to any single stage of the line, giving an idea of the intended progression, and then remaining rounds would fill in other cards which fit that theme)
Empires 1
Promo
Landmark 2 (this should run after Empires 1 finishes, but could overlap with the Promo and Cross-Set contests in the same way that previous Event/Landmark contests have been staggered)
Cross-Set 1 (I was thinking of making this one explicitly themed for the small sets, particularly since Cornucopia-Guilds is now published as a single set and arguably deserved a second slot as a "large" set on that basis, but I'm not married to the idea)
Empires 2
Cross-Set 2
Seasons
Enterprise
???
Events/Landmarks as needed

I will get out one final reminder to finish up the Dark Ages voting, and send you the spreadsheet I've been using to format the cards. Poke me in a couple days if that's not done.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 01:10:41 pm by mith »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 01:45:13 pm »

Hey Mith,

If no one objects, I'd be happy to take it over for a while. Just let me know in what order you want the next competitions to go and I'll organize them. if you have any tips to watch out for, I'd be happy to incorporate them.
Congrats! I look forward to the mini-set being under your leadership.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 01:51:39 pm »

Yep, go for it. I was going to do something like this for order:

Adventures 2 Traveller (this will have to be a multi-stage contest, though I hadn't decided exactly how to do it; possibly the first round would be open to any single stage of the line, giving an idea of the intended progression, and then remaining rounds would fill in other cards which fit that theme)
Empires 1
Promo
Landmark 2 (this should run after Empires 1 finishes, but could overlap with the Promo and Cross-Set contests in the same way that previous Event/Landmark contests have been staggered)
Cross-Set 1 (I was thinking of making this one explicitly themed for the small sets, particularly since Cornucopia-Guilds is now published as a single set and arguably deserved a second slot as a "large" set on that basis, but I'm not married to the idea)
Empires 2
Cross-Set 2
Seasons
Enterprise
???
Events/Landmarks as needed

I will get out one final reminder to finish up the Dark Ages voting, and send you the spreadsheet I've been using to format the cards. Poke me in a couple days if that's not done.

Thanks!

Please drop by every now and then in case I fuck things up. :)

My plan for travellers:
(1) Stage one: Allow competing concepts.
(2) Stage two: First and second card of the traveller line.
(3) Stage three: third and fourth.
(4) Stage five: Fifth card of the traveller line.

Maybe I should do a topic for that?

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 12:31:11 am »
+3

Any chance of a Nocturne design competition in the future? I've missed having these.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.