Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Miser  (Read 20827 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Miser
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 12:09:31 pm »
+1

I agree that TR variants make this card very good.I still like opening miser copper, then getting a second miser. (Or if alms is out, then get two misers right away and buying the one copper later.) Then find an excuse to chain the misers, puttung yourself at a province per play. And I woll also say that these guys love mountebank, especially when the curses run out.

Yeah this doesn't sound right... Miser is good when it can get rid of your copper... you don't need to make it worth $8, and even if you did want that, you would want to get that last copper way later, when you've cleared out your starting 7 and can draw your deck.

Even so, taking four complete shuffles where you basically can't buy anything costing more than $2 just to thin your deck and to make a cool action that gives you a bunch of money, that's not always the right move! Miser is the new Pirate Ship in more ways than one TBH
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 12:44:25 pm »

I agree that TR variants make this card very good.I still like opening miser copper, then getting a second miser. (Or if alms is out, then get two misers right away and buying the one copper later.) Then find an excuse to chain the misers, puttung yourself at a province per play. And I woll also say that these guys love mountebank, especially when the curses run out.

Yeah this doesn't sound right... Miser is good when it can get rid of your copper... you don't need to make it worth $8, and even if you did want that, you would want to get that last copper way later, when you've cleared out your starting 7 and can draw your deck.

Even so, taking four complete shuffles where you basically can't buy anything costing more than $2 just to thin your deck and to make a cool action that gives you a bunch of money, that's not always the right move! Miser is the new Pirate Ship in more ways than one TBH

Yeah definitely. Miser sounds like it should be part of the payload of an engine; not at all just something where you hope to do nothing buy buy Misers and win.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 05:47:54 pm »

Optimally, Miser is your only source of Copper "trashing", and there's enough engine support on the board for you to take a few turns just hiding Coppers away on your mat.  Then you hopefully have a couple multi-Province turns.  So, in order for Miser to be at its best, you need a) minimal to no Copper getting-rid-of b) drawing engine support c) +Buy.  I think this works well against discard Attacks, and certainly against Copper-junking Attacks.  Against a Militia, rather than being sad about your smaller hand, you just spend the turn making your Misers bigger.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 05:58:19 pm »

I also think Miser goes especially well with Page.  Page is a cheap way to get economy and actions, and appreciates the thinning.  Then, once you get your Champion, you'll be able to play the Misers for money with impunity.  Also since the first two stages of Page are non-terminal, you don't have to worry as much about them colliding early on. 

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 08:26:00 pm »

Well, I don't profess to be an expert, but I have won with this before. So either I'm right; or you guys are right and my family just sucks at Dominion.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 08:30:34 pm »

Well, I don't profess to be an expert, but I have won with this before. So either I'm right; or you guys are right and my family just sucks at Dominion.

I think getting to $8 Misers is definitely significant if you have no other source of $, for whatever reason. Each Miser getting you a Province can be meaningful. Although I'm guessing a lot of the time it's not worth getting and setting aside that extra Copper. Time will tell!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.