Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Force of Will  (Read 2422 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Force of Will
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:22:42 pm »
+1

I am totally into this game.  Magic with better art (YMMV if you don't like anime), no mana screw, and cheaper average cost (with the most expensive standard legal single being 1/3rd the cost of the cost of Magic's most expensive standard legal single.  Both of them are auto 4X inclusions for their color, but the rarities per box are different).

Not much similarity to Dominion here except that you might actually be able to afford this game, similar to Dominion.

Does anyone play?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: Force of Will
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:10:52 am »

Magic with better art

Art (and theme) is the very first thing that completely threw me off this game. I like seldom anime here and there, but the FoW is really not my thing. Also land(crystal) deck was fine, but I don't think I found rules attractive at all other than that.

Also, really, FoW? I take insult.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:37:58 am by Grujah »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 09:25:43 pm »
+1

Do you take insult that there is a brand of soda called Dr. Thunder?  The game is called Force of Will in order to communicate that it is a product similar to and competing with MtG.  It's difficult to come up with a name that can convey that idea that is any less invasive.  Will: the Gathering?  I think that'd bother you even more.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:37:10 am »

I do not care about Dr. Pepper so I do not take insult from Dr Thunder, but if I saw an obvious cheap knockoff of a brand name I would, 90% of the time, skip it.

Insult comment was a bit snarky, but I do hate the name. I do not buy that if you want to compete with a product you have to rip-off a iconic part of it. It would be like if League of Legends was called Sentinel vs Scourge or Omniknight or something.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:13:02 pm »

I probably wouldn't get into Force of Will anyway, but the art style seems very hit or miss for me. To its credit, it looks rather distinctive even though it borrows heavily from Anime influences and the art is quite detailed.

So, I lookup up the M:tG card Force of Will. It seems like an effective card and quite synergistic with blue-style decks, but is there something particularly special about it that made it so iconic?

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 10:23:40 pm »

I probably wouldn't get into Force of Will anyway, but the art style seems very hit or miss for me. To its credit, it looks rather distinctive even though it borrows heavily from Anime influences and the art is quite detailed.

So, I lookup up the M:tG card Force of Will. It seems like an effective card and quite synergistic with blue-style decks, but is there something particularly special about it that made it so iconic?

It can counter without requiring any mana, helpful for defending in older, crazier formats against combos that will kill you before your first turn (e.g. Channel-Fireball or Hulk Flash).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 11:06:25 pm »

Five Mana and a Fuckton of Text is crazy good in tempo decks, because whereas most counterspells require you to leave some mana unused only to find out that your opponent didn't actually end up playing anything worthy of using your counterspell on, it lets you use all of your mana on your own turn to further your own position and you still get to have a counter to something that you need to counter. Mostly for this reason, many decks in Eternal formats (used to? I haven't really followed the scene lately) that would otherwise just run aggressive colors like green and red, include at least 20 blue cards just so they can play FoW and always have another blue card to go with it. It is also what keeps first turn kill combo decks in check.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 05:59:44 am »

It's not just tempo/aggro decks (tho it does shine in Delver variants) it's all blue decks - combo and control too. And by blue decks, I there also are decks that splash blue for FoW. I've seen dredge splash FoW. DREDGE.

It is very iconic, it is just such an important piece in Magic history. It is omnipresent in all eternal formats, has this unique ability that no other cards have (tap out, counter anything, no questions asked), it is one of most recognizable blue cards, highly sough after (and pricey), represents the Magic of old that we probably ain't ever gonna see again, and even tho I'd agree art ain't particularly good, Terese went and became probably the most beloved MTG artist. So, yeah, we love it very much.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 06:13:10 am »

It's not just tempo/aggro decks (tho it does shine in Delver variants) it's all blue decks - combo and control too. And by blue decks, I there also are decks that splash blue for FoW. I've seen dredge splash FoW. DREDGE.

Well, combo decks run it for the same reason that aggro decks do (it lets you counter your opponent's FoW without spending mana on it). Control decks run it because they have to, but I don't think it's a card that control decks actually want to use if they can avoid it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:20 pm »
+1

The thing that makes the name less of a knock is that Wizards of the Coast did not make Force of Will an iconic card, the playerbase of MtG made Force of Will an iconic card.  Force of Will is nothing special, it was part of a cycle of 5 cards and the other four see little to no play.  If a knockoff game was named "Ponder", "Abundance", or "Spring Cleaning", those words would also be names that happen to be a Magic card that WotC put in a set.  Force of Will is more significant than those names not because WotC decided Force of Will would be a card more special than other cards, but because the players discovered it was powerful and developed powerful strategies with it.
If a knockoff game was named "Emrakul", "Ugin", "Progenitus" or some other card that is actually a centerpiece of the set in which it appears, it'd seem like more of a knockoff to me.  But it's not logical to say that WotC gets dibbs on every single name of every single magic card when so many commonplace words and combinations of words appear, and it's not logical to say WotC has intellectual ownership over the emergent qualities of the metagame.

"Force of Will" is about as much of a plagiaristic name as "Death and Taxes", the community's nickname for a favorite white deck, would be.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 04:14:19 pm »

You are right, but I never called it plagiarism, I said I hate the name. It doesn't have to do with WotC, it has to do with players. I feel it is very tacky, to say at least, to take such an iconic name that means a lot to quite a few of your target audience.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.