Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Relic and Moat  (Read 1676 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Relic and Moat
« on: March 02, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »
+1

I just noticed something now that the first treasure-attack exists. The general rule with attack cards and Moat is that "whenever another player plays an attack card" happens before the instructions on the played card are followed. But that's more awkward with Relic. Relic says "when you play this". Moat says "whenever another player plays an attack card". As worded, this is 2 events that trigger at the same time, and under normal rules for dealing with that, the effects would be dealt with in turn order. So effect from the person playing Relic would happen first, giving the -1 card token, and THEN the effect from Moat would happen, allowing the person to reveal Moat.

This isn't in the rules forum because I know the correct interaction here; Moat still works just fine. You reveal Moat and are protected from the attack before any of the card's instructions are followed. I don't think there's any confusion over that. I just thought it was a weird thing worth mentioning.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Relic and Moat
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 07:08:35 pm »
+2

I think wrapped into this is what happens when you play an Action-Attack with a vanilla bonus token on it.  If I Pathfinding Militia, do I draw a card before my opponent can reveal Moat, or at the same time?  Not that it really matters all that much.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:24:04 pm »
+5

We already had this interaction with Moat and Noble Brigand, which says, "When you buy this or play it", the resolution being that all cards have in implicit "When you play this" clause, which happens after everything else has been triggered from the playing of the card.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:17 pm »

I think wrapped into this is what happens when you play an Action-Attack with a vanilla bonus token on it.  If I Pathfinding Militia, do I draw a card before my opponent can reveal Moat, or at the same time?  Not that it really matters all that much.

Donald answered that one here: you draw the card first. Or at least, that's assuming that the "when you play an Attack card" on Urchin has the same timing as the "when another player plays an Attack card" on Moat.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:06:23 pm »

Donald answered that one here: you draw the card first. Or at least, that's assuming that the "when you play an Attack card" on Urchin has the same timing as the "when another player plays an Attack card" on Moat.

Makes sense.  So if there's ever a Reaction to an Attack that does something to your opponent's hand, this will matter.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.