Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Messenger  (Read 23385 times)

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Messenger
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 06:26:27 pm »

It's nice to use Messenger to gain the last card in a pile, that way your opponents don't get anything.

Beating old people is also very satisfactory.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 06:54:45 pm »

It's not an Attack because the effect is on-buy, not on-play. Moat doesn't know how to react to it.

Correct. Note that Ill-Gotten Gains is not an attack for this reason.

I do agree that "All players gain an attack" should probably have the attack type. If you're playing it, it's because your deck is built in a way to handle the Curses.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 02:56:40 am »
+4

There is a bit of synergy with Philosopher's Stone. Open Messenger(Potion)/Silver and then buy Stones and more Messengers distributing Silver/Estate. Take extra Coppers. Your deck grows quickly. Buy Duchy early and spike some Provinces.

I don't claim it's a great strategy but I think it can be easily underrated ; an engine player facing that will have to handle of these bad cards you send to him.

The same idea works with Gardens or Silk Road; the top part of Messenger looks like a mediocre enabler but the bottom part should kill some (bad) engines trying to compete.
Designer of Chronos Conquest

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 09:55:28 am »
+2

"All players gain an attack"
Nuclear proliferation - 5c
Action - Attack
Every player may gain an Attack. Every player that didn't gains a Curse. If no player gained an Attack, you may end the game now and have a nice game of something less broken than this.

I think you meant "curse" there.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 04:26:50 am »

Trader should be mentioned.

On-play, with trader in hand, +buy provides a silver.
On-buy, having a trader and $4 means "I get a messenger and a silver, here's your free curse." That's sweet.

Edit: Seems like I still don't understand the blue dog. Thx, wero.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:06:14 pm by terminalCopper »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 08:48:52 am »
+2

Trader should be mentioned.

On-play, with trader in hand, +buy provides a silver.
On-buy, having a trader and $4 means "I get a messenger and a silver, here's your free curse." That's sweet.

Actually, the Curse only gets handed out if you gain the Curse, too, due to blue dog shenanigans.

Now if you revealed Watchtower instead...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 09:04:18 am »
+2

YOU GET A SCOUT
AND YOU GET A SCOUT
AND EVERY- wait, I get a SCOUT, too :(
FTFY

Scout Scout get a Scout
I get a Scout
Yeah
Get a Scout Scout Scout I get a Scout
I get a Scout.....

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2016, 11:42:27 am »
+6

The more I play with Messenger, the more I think it's a pretty good card. And I'm just talking about the top part. +Buy and putting your deck into your discard pile together make for something that's often worth the terminal action slot, in a way that Chancellor and Woodcutter aren't. It's effectively two kinds of acceleration in one (three if you count the on-buy that also accelerates your opponents).

One benefit I've been seeing recently is that it protects you from bad reshuffles. I'm talking specifically about those engines that use some sifting to get through your whole deck, leaving a bunch of junk in the discard pile, which you then have to be careful not to shuffle back into your deck (if you can't draw it all). With Messenger, you can just draw as much as you can, potentially netting you a few extra $ if you discarded Coppers, or just getting you whatever ancillary effect your draw cards are giving you (like the Torturer attack). Chancellor did this too, but it was so weak that I never got to see it much.

Maybe I'm being a little bit Roadrunner here. Has anybody else been impressed with Messenger? If you haven't been buying it, I recommend you try it (ideally right after your opponent shuffles, and right before you do).

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 12:47:08 pm »
+2

I'm also coming around to like Messenger. If you have the terminal space, it really does help get things going. Boards with cantrips are really what it seems built for - in part because those are reasonably harmless to hand out on gain and in part because they don't compete for terminal space with Messenger. I've also used the on buy effect to do things like hand out Bishops so we both get thin faster, or extra copies of cards you generally want just one of like Moneylender.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 12:49:16 pm »

Messenger is pretty good for reasons lf covers, but obviously it's at its best in multiplayer.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 01:12:44 pm »
+2

It's cool to open Messenger and gain a Potion when your opponent already bought a Potion, so their second Potion is (usually) junk.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 06:04:45 am »

Putting the deck in the discard pile in general is improved by the presence of travelers. Even Chancellor/Page is not a shabby opening.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 06:51:03 am »

Putting the deck in the discard pile in general is improved by the presence of travelers. Even Chancellor/Page is not a shabby opening.
Page/scavenger seems pretty good.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 10:46:40 am »

It's cool to open Messenger and gain a Potion when your opponent already bought a Potion, so their second Potion is (usually) junk.

I tried this once and regretted it. Though, maybe SP is a bad card choice to have put potion. Familiar cozy 3p so that extra po
Potion is likely to interfere

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 04:46:15 pm »

I tried this once and regretted it. Though, maybe SP is a bad card choice to have put potion. Familiar cozy 3p so that extra po

interesting -- which alchemy cards are worth buying two potions for?

vineyard, obviously.
alchemist, if it's worth going for, might be worth a second potion, although not until you're in a good rhythm.
apothecary,  once in a while. certainly you're not that sad if your opponent hands you an extra potion with jester or something.
scrying pool, same as about an apothecary (there are plenty of boards where it's worth eating an extra potion if you'll win the split 7-3 or even 6-4).
all the others, i'd say no way.

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2016, 02:06:02 am »

interesting -- which alchemy cards are worth buying two potions for?

vineyard, obviously.
alchemist, if it's worth going for, might be worth a second potion, although not until you're in a good rhythm.
apothecary,  once in a while. certainly you're not that sad if your opponent hands you an extra potion with jester or something.
scrying pool, same as about an apothecary (there are plenty of boards where it's worth eating an extra potion if you'll win the split 7-3 or even 6-4).
all the others, i'd say no way.

Against familiar itīs a risky bet, you might end up giving your opponent a marvelous 2PP hand and it working out great, or he might end up making 3P twice in his oppening shuffle, leading the way to an easy 7-3 split on the curses... Now if someone opens potion for uni, heīd be almost begging to receive a second one with messenger...

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 10:27:34 am »

Messenger is pretty good for reasons lf covers, but obviously it's at its best in multiplayer.

As I learned last night, it leads to 3 pile endings much faster than expected.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2016, 05:56:34 pm »

Basically everything I could note about Messenger has already been said. This has also been implied but I would like to emphasize it: Messenger is one of the few cards that gives the second player an advantage (in cases where you want to buy a Menssenger) and I really like that :)
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.