Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: transportowiec96's card ideas  (Read 6514 times)

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
transportowiec96's card ideas
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:22:35 am »

So I thought of some cards and decided to post them here.
Upgraded Cellar - 3$ - Action-Reserve
+1 action
Put this on your tavern mat.
---------------
At beginning of your turn, you may call this. If you do, you may discard X cards. Then, draw X cards.
I think this is a nice little card, like Guide, which you keep on your tavern mat until you find use for it. The good part is, it let's you choose how much cards you want to discard and this is the point where I thought this should cost 4$, but unlike Guide, this has antisynergy with discarding attacks, where you'd rather have Guide.

Noble Fighter - 3$ - Action-Attack
+1 card
+1 action
Each other players discards down to 3 cards in hand. Each player who did, draws a card.
This might worsen your opponents turn, but if they have two cards they'd want to discard, this is a chance for them to have a better hand. They still have lowered handsize by one card.

Safe - 4$ - Victory-Reaction
1VP
When another players plays an attack card, you may reveal this. If you do, set this aside, gain Gold and Copper, then return this to your deck at the end of the game.
I thought of tunnel when creating this.

Golden Hoard - 9$ - Victory
Worth 1VP for each Gold in your deck.
This is priced very high, because golds improve your deck. If you get a lot of them, you can buy this for more points than a province. I am sometimes thinking of making it worth 1VP for 2 golds.

Small Venture - 7$ - Treasure
3$
+buy
Reveal the top card of your deck, if it's a treasure, play it.
A gold that chains with itself.

Sage's Scrying Pool - 5$ - Action
Each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice. Then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one that costs 5$ or more. Put all of your revealed cards into your hand.
Should +action be present here? +1$ cost so you can't open with it on 5/2?

Road Builders - 6$ - Action-Reserve
---------------------------
When you call this, name a card. That card costs 1$ less until this leaves from play.
A delayed bridge, but for one card only. Gives you megaturn option, but you still require +1buys.

Craftsman - 4$ - Action
+Action
Take a coin token.
You may spend any of your coin tokens. If you do, gain a card having cost equal to number of coins spent.
A little card which you can use to stockpile tokens and then use them to gain a good card, or just support your current or next hand with coin tokens.
Innkeeper - 4$ - Action-Duration
Name a card.
Until your next turn, when any player plays the named card, take a coin token.
Playing against engines that focus on playing one card, like Hunting Party? Just play few of these and name Hunting Party.

Tithe - 2$ - Event
Each other player checks the top of his deck. If there's....
-card token, he takes his -1 coin token.
no -card token, he places it there.
Generally weak to buy, but can be good if you can buy it two times.

Burning Witches - 5$ - Event
Each other player trashes a Witch(-card) from his hand.
If they did, they gain 2 Golds, 2 Silvers and 5 Coppers, and they may trash a curse from their hand.
If they didn't, they gain 2 Curses.
You may trash a Witch(-card) from your hand, if you do, gain two silvers.
(If there's no Witch on the board, one random kingdom card is a Witch-card[it works like Bane card])
A trashing attack in an event. Thought it might be a good idea.

Craftsman V2 - 4$ - Action
+Action
Take a coin token.
You may play your treasures and use any of your coin tokens. If you do, you may buy a card, which you put into your hand.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:24:29 am by transportowiec96 »

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
Re: transportowiec96's card ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 11:02:45 am »
+2

Craftsman - 4$ - Action
+Action
Take a coin token.
You may spend any of your coin tokens. If you do, gain a card having cost equal to number of coins spent.
A little card which you can use to stockpile tokens and then use them to gain a good card, or just support your current or next hand with coin tokens.
If you compare this to Candlestick Maker, it does a very similar thing: they're both +1 Action, take a coin token, you may gain an extra card this turn. Except this one, the gained card can *only* be paid for with coin tokens. (And can't cost $0). Against that, you might get to use the gained card this turn. It might be viable at $2, but even then it's generally weaker than CM.

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:06:58 am »

Craftsman - 4$ - Action
+Action
Take a coin token.
If you compare this to Candlestick Maker, it does a very similar thing: they're both +1 Action, take a coin token, you may gain an extra card this turn. Except this one, the gained card can *only* be paid for with coin tokens. (And can't cost $0). Against that, you might get to use the gained card this turn. It might be viable at $2, but even then it's generally weaker than CM.

You do have a point, but if I can get many coin tokens in a turn, I can easily turn this into Province gainer. Maybe a +buy or -1$ cost?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:50 am »

Craftsman - 4$ - Action
+Action
Take a coin token.

"If you do, gain a card having cost equal to number of coinst spent and put in your hand."

I'd still put it at $3, I think.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:54 am »
+3

Craftsman - 4$ - Action
+Action
Take a coin token.

You do have a point, but if I can get many coin tokens in a turn, I can easily turn this into Province gainer. Maybe a +buy or -1$ cost?

If you get many coin tokens in a turn with Candlestick Maker, you can easily turn that into a Province as well. Aside from the rare edge case of being able to gain and then use a card during your action phase, this is strictly worse than Candlestick Maker. It's just a Candlestick Maker where instead of +1 buy, you get a pseudo-buy that's more limited than a normal buy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:14:14 am »
+1

Golden Hoard - 9$ - Victory
Worth 1VP for each Gold in your deck.
This is priced very high, because golds improve your deck. If you get a lot of them, you can buy this for more points than a province. I am sometimes thinking of making it worth 1VP  for 2 golds

When introducing Feodum, Donald explained why points-per-gold was a bad idea.... because like you just said, you want as many Golds as you can get anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:26:05 am »

When thinking about remaking Craftsman, I thought it could have a BM effect.

Craftsman V2 - 4$ - Action
+Action
Take a coin token.
You may play your treasures and use any of your coin tokens. If you do, you may buy a card, which you put into your hand.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:27:25 am »

Sounds like fun. Close to candlemaker, but as a card in itself: could work and sounds good.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 03:24:29 am »

Upgraded Cellar is of course just a straightforward Reserve Cellar. It is probably a bit stronger than Cellar (although not that much as you can only call the card at the beginning of your turn which is different to e.g. Royal Carriage).
On play it is worse than Guide but when called it is stronger. So I guess 3 is the right price.

Noble Fighter is too similar to Urchin for my taste. It's on-play effect is probably slightly stronger but you cannot exchange it for a Mercenary so the price should probably be fine. As, like Urchin, it is only a mild handsize attack it shouldn't be a problem that it is a cantrip attack.

Safe is too weak. It costs more than Tunnel, provides less VPs and its Reaction effect is weaker. You could argue that this is justified if you claimed that attacks occur more frequently than discarding but I doubt that this is the case.

Golden Hoard has already been discussed. Silver is more often than not a necessary evil but Gold is always good, even in an engine. So no need to incentivze something you want anyway via VPs.

Small Venture seems fine.

Sage's Scrying Pool is too strong. First of all I would get rid of the Spy-ish attack part of any Scrying Pool (DXV said that this was wrong in hindsight) variant. Second of all, you can simply not buy a lot of 5s early on to make Sage's Scrying Pool draw virtually your entire deck. Far less effort necessary than in the case of Scrying Pool.

Road Builders is far too weak. It is worse than Bridge in three ways: no extra buy, no extra coin and a limitation of the cost reduction to only one card.

I don't understand Craftsman. It just seems to provide a Coin token and a pseudo-buy during the Action phase. Seems incredibly weak, as already pointed out weaker than Candlestick Maker. Perhaps you meant that the spent Coin tokens count twice, in order to gain a card with Craftsman as well as a pre-payment for the Buy phase?

Innkeeper is a nice idea but it would probably work better as an Event.

Burning Witches should be generalized to Cursers.

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 04:26:45 am »

Safe is too weak. It costs more than Tunnel, provides less VPs and its Reaction effect is weaker. You could argue that this is justified if you claimed that attacks occur more frequently than discarding but I doubt that this is the case.
I sometimes tried removing the "gain copper" part of it. It works too, but I think I could also raise 1to 2
Sage's Scrying Pool is too strong. First of all I would get rid of the Spy-ish attack part of any Scrying Pool (DXV said that this was wrong in hindsight) variant. Second of all, you can simply not buy a lot of 5s early on to make Sage's Scrying Pool draw virtually your entire deck. Far less effort necessary than in the case of Scrying Pool.
I just thought of a part where it could be "Reveal cards until you reveal +, if you reveal more than X cards, you only put the + and first Y revealed cards.

Road Builders is far too weak. It is worse than Bridge in three ways: no extra buy, no extra coin and a limitation of the cost reduction to only one card.
It is still an reserve -cost. Maybe "When you call this, +buy and all cards cost less" or "When you call this, +buy and name a card. That card costs less"
I don't understand Craftsman. It just seems to provide a Coin token and a pseudo-buy during the Action phase. Seems incredibly weak, as already pointed out weaker than Candlestick Maker. Perhaps you meant that the spent Coin tokens count twice, in order to gain a card with Craftsman as well as a pre-payment for the Buy phase?
No, I did not, although the V2 is better because you can gain a card and immediately use it if it's playable.

Innkeeper is a nice idea but it would probably work better as an Event.
Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. / and once per turn? +buy?
Burning Witches should be generalized to Cursers.
It is a cursing event of sorts. It's either junking-reward-trashing attack or curser.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 04:31:47 am »

It is still an reserve -cost. Maybe "When you call this, +buy and all cards cost less" or "When you call this, +buy and name a card. That card costs less"
The first version of your card is basically just a Reserve copper. When you buy two identical cards it is a Reserve Silver. Only when you buy three cards it is a Reserve Gold and the price of 6$ seems justified. Sounds overall pretty weak to me.

Just think about Bridge, at least early in the game you often use it to buy two different cards. Your reserve-ified Bridge gets rid of this asset of Bridge. When you buy only one card with Bridge it is a terminal Silver but when you buy two it is already a terminal Gold with an extra buy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:36:14 am by tristan »

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 04:50:44 am »

The first version of your card is basically just a Reserve copper. When you buy two identical cards it is a Reserve Silver. Only when you buy three cards it is a Reserve Gold and the price of 6$ seems justified. Sounds overall pretty weak to me.

Just think about Bridge, at least early in the game you often use it to buy two different cards. Your reserve-ified Bridge gets rid of this asset of Bridge. When you buy only one card with Bridge it is a terminal Silver but when you buy two it is already a terminal Gold with an extra buy.
There's always option of making it a cantrip and costing less. How about this:
Road Builders V2 - - Action-Reserve
+card
+action
+buy
--------------------
When you call this, +buy and all cards cost 1$ less.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:59:43 am »

I just thought of a part where it could be "Reveal cards until you reveal +, if you reveal more than X cards, you only put the + and first Y revealed cards.

Just make Y=1 and you will have a card which compares to Hunting Party pretty well.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 05:19:14 am »

+card
+action
+buy
--------------------
This is strictly superior to Market.

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 05:25:08 am »

+card
+action
+buy
--------------------

Oh right. + cost?

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 06:08:04 am »

+card
+action
+buy
--------------------

Oh right. + cost?
Probably OK for 6$. The main liability of Highway is that you need to get the extra buys from somewhere else. It is still superior to Bridge as it is a cantrip. Your card gets rid of that disadvantage. Is that what you really want?

To be honest, I'd first think about what you want before you tweak around like crazy. First settle on an idea, then try to balance it.

You could e.g. roll with your original idea of reducing the cost of only one card but then reduce it by two as one is too weak. This would differentiate it from the three official cost reducers. In the case of pure cost reduction there doesn't seem to be any design space left. Just a Reserve version is not enough IMO.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 11:31:34 am »
+1

+card
+action
+buy
--------------------

As worded, Road Builders is a one-shot Market Square. It doesn't tell you when to call it, just what it does when you do.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 12:05:36 pm »

+card
+action
+buy
--------------------

As worded, Road Builders is a one-shot Market Square. It doesn't tell you when to call it, just what it does when you do.
Sometimes you'd want to call this during your action phase. Sometimes, on your buy phase. The first case would be with TfB cards,  and some of remodelers (if you call many of them). The second would be after using your TfBs.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 12:20:42 pm »

+card
+action
+buy
--------------------

Sometimes you'd want to call this during your action phase. Sometimes, on your buy phase. The first case would be with TfB cards,  and some of remodelers (if you call many of them). The second would be after using your TfBs.

No, the point is that as worded, you can't ever call it. Reserve cards have instructions with the text "[At some time], you may call this". Without that text, you can't call it.

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 12:51:24 pm »

Here.
+card
+action
+buy
--------------------
You may call this at any point during your turn. When you call this, +buy and all cards cost 1$ less until the end of this turn.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 12:57:24 pm »

This means you can put it on your tavern mat and immediately use it.

I find it a card that's just too similar of market + highway to be interesting. There is nothing wrong with it (although even at 6 it sounds cheap), it's just... to much of the same.

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 12:59:51 pm »
+1

I find it a card that's just too similar of market + highway to be interesting. There is nothing wrong with it (although even at 6 it sounds cheap), it's just... to much of the same.

The initial concept was to make reserve-bridge. There's always possibily of removing the +card/+buy/+action when played, though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »

Here.
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Put this on your Tavern mat.
--------------------
At any point during your turn, you may call this, to get +1 Buy and to reduce the cost of all cards by this turn (but not less than ).

I've updated the wording to match other cards more closely. I don't really know if "at any point during your turn" is valid... does this mean you can trash a card to Salvager, and then call this to reduce the cost before you get your coin? Or play a Workshop, and then call this before you choose a card to gain? It might be better to just use "at the start of your turn" instead, which is the most common time you'd want to call it anyway. It only matters for rare cases when you want to call this for the buy phase, but also want to use a trash-for-benefit like Salvager.

I'm guessing that this will be very powerful. Being a reserve means that it's trivial to use a bunch on the same turn; however many you have in your deck; you can guarantee to always use that many at once. Kind of like Bridge with Native Village built in. And as a cantrip +buy when you play it, it's never bad to have. I would probably just remove all the vanilla bonuses; I think it's still a $5 card without any of that, and just the on-call effect.

*Edit* Just noticed that you changed it from to . That might be fine, but it would probably be more interesting at without the vanilla bonuses. Or maybe just a +1 buy vanilla bonus.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:12:39 pm by GendoIkari »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 01:15:39 pm »

The initial concept was to make reserve-bridge. There's always possibily of removing the +card/+buy/+action when played, though.

My suggestion is - but it's your card, so feel free to ignroe it :) - to try to come up with a version that's different enough, yet is still interesting in it's own right and does the thing you want.

Let me try to explain what I mean. (Not saying this is the greatest card ever, but we have playtested it with friends and it's a fun card, so I am going to guess it's a reasonable card.)

---
Army Man
$4
+2 Cards
You may discard 3 cards. If you do, all other players discard until they have 3 cards in hand and you draw untill you have 5 cards in hand.
--

It's a little bit of young witch, a little bit of militia, and a little bit of watchtower. And it also is a good defense against itself.

Let me try to give a proposal for your card.

--------------------
When Road Builders is on your tavern mat: All cards cost 2$ less during your turn.
When you buy a card, remove Road Builders from your tavern mat.
Now you have quarry + highway, but if you want to stack it, you'll need to 'invest' (by having multiple rounds of not buying anything.)

This is just a suggestion of what I am trying to say. Maybe this is completely insane, but I hope it's clear. I think it's different enough from bridge and quarry to use, it has a downside that could be interesting, but also a cool upside. (Imagine a village with two of these in your hand. Suddenly you can buy a province for 4!) You'd want some of these, but also not too many, I think.

--------------------
When Road Builders is on your tavern mat: All cards cost 1$ less during your turn. +1 Buy
When you buy at least one card during your buy phase, remove one Road Builders from your Tavern Mat.

A bit different, could also be interesting.

I am just brainstorming out loud here, feel free to ignore it if you think it's silly. :)

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 01:25:36 pm »

--------------------
When Road Builders is on your tavern mat: All cards cost 2$ less during your turn.
When you buy a card, remove Road Builders from your tavern mat.
Now you have quarry + highway, but if you want to stack it, you'll need to 'invest' (by having multiple rounds of not buying anything.)

This is just a suggestion of what I am trying to say. Maybe this is completely insane, but I hope it's clear. I think it's different enough from bridge and quarry to use, it has a downside that could be interesting, but also a cool upside. (Imagine a village with two of these in your hand. Suddenly you can buy a province for 4!) You'd want some of these, but also not too many, I think.
Remove is a little vague. Discard fits here. Anyways I think this is more of something that doesn't support megaturns, since it's just one-use. Interesting concept though.
--------------------
When Road Builders is on your tavern mat: All cards cost 1$ less during your turn. +1 Buy
When you buy at least one card during your buy phase, remove one Road Builders from your Tavern Mat.

A bit different, could also be interesting.
This concept is very interesting. You buy something for less, then if you want, you can buy another card, but it costs +.
I am just brainstorming out loud here
Out of the topic, but I just became curious how DXV. comes up with card ideas.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.