Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Remodel question  (Read 3613 times)

Doctor_J

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Remodel question
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:40:18 pm »

Hey folks, I am new to the game (obviously) and had a question about the Remodel Card. Simply put, do you have to gain a card after using it or can it be used to just trash an unwanted card and strengthen your deck?

For instance, in a game that we played recently with a random supply deck, the only $2 value card in the supply deck was Chapel. So, after one of the players had played Remodel once or twice it became apparent that all they could do was load their hand with Chapels if trying to get rid of coppers using remodel. So, do you have to gain the card or not?

Thanks!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Remodel question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:41:59 pm »

Yes, you do have to gain a card. Things that are optional are always proceeded by "You may".

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »

Hey folks, I am new to the game (obviously) and had a question about the Remodel Card. Simply put, do you have to gain a card after using it or can it be used to just trash an unwanted card and strengthen your deck?

For instance, in a game that we played recently with a random supply deck, the only $2 value card in the supply deck was Chapel. So, after one of the players had played Remodel once or twice it became apparent that all they could do was load their hand with Chapels if trying to get rid of coppers using remodel. So, do you have to gain the card or not?

You're required to gain a card if you use Remodel. (Note that Chapels weren't the only thing you could have gained—you could have gotten an Estate too, or I suppose a Curse or even another Copper. But it's not like getting a lot of those would be any better than getting a lot of Chapels.)

Doctor_J

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:51:23 pm »

You're required to gain a card if you use Remodel. (Note that Chapels weren't the only thing you could have gained—you could have gotten an Estate too, or I suppose a Curse or even another Copper. But it's not like getting a lot of those would be any better than getting a lot of Chapels.)

That was the problem, there did not seem to be anything that would strengthen the deck. So, that player ended up with about 4 Chapels that kept coming around.

Thanks for the help!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:18:33 pm »

Well you could then remodel the chapels into something better, like a silver or another remodel.

But really, remodels are generally better when played to trash moderate to high cost cards into better cards. Like turning Golds into Provinces in the late game.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:23:32 am »
+2

Remodel very often reads like this:

Remodel $4 - Action
You win the game if you have less Remodels in your deck than any opponent.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:56:16 am »

A bit of an aside from the actual question that was asked (and has already been answered), but if your opponent was looking to just trash cards and not gain anything back, he should have just bought a Chapel in the first place instead of the Remodel.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:44:41 am »

A bit of an aside from the actual question that was asked (and has already been answered), but if your opponent was looking to just trash cards and not gain anything back, he should have just bought a Chapel in the first place instead of the Remodel.

I think that buying Remodel to trash Copper and get a Chapel definitely qualifies for the Rube Goldberg Dominion challenge... especially if he then uses Chapel to trash Remodel!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:10:14 am »

Agreed.

And that's just one of those things that you see with experience. Start off with Chapel (see the excellent articles on how useful this can be) and trash your Coppers and Estates. Be careful not to trash all your Coppers before buying bigger money, or you'll find yourself buying the Coppers back. When all (or even just most) of those 10 cards are weeded out of your deck, then Chapel becomes a dead card. You can get rid of it by buying Remodel. Turn that Chapel into a Silver or a $4 card. Remodel can help you later in the game by remodeling Gold into Province or Silver into Duchy. By itself, Remodel is a horribly slow trasher. 
A man has no signature

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 11:24:07 am »

Remodal is one of the worst cards ever, even with good $2s in the supply I have never won with a "turbo Remodel" strat

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 01:56:20 pm »

Remodal is one of the worst cards ever, even with good $2s in the supply I have never won with a "turbo Remodel" strat

I think that's being a bit harsh. It's certainly not a great card, but it's far from worst. If you are using Remodel to do a turbo Remodel strategy, then you are playing it completely wrong.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 03:11:41 pm »

I have a %+ of 72.5 and an Effect With of 2.93. It's my third highest Effect With, behind only Embassy and Bag of Gold, which I have never lost with.

I think people get hung up on the "trashing" aspect of Remodel, and try to use it as a deck thinner when it's really not. Trashing Coppers with Remodel is a losing proposition.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.571 seconds with 21 queries.