Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion mod that bans cards?  (Read 9788 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Dominion mod that bans cards?
« on: March 01, 2016, 07:19:32 am »
+1

I was playing a game this morning and a strange message popped up from my opponent. It seems like his Dominion Online client had been modified to allow him to ban cards and propose bans of cards.

Obviously without both users having this mod it's unenforceable, and the mod is problematic anyway (banning cards in Dominion doesn't really help anyway, and you can't have card bans that only start on Turn 3), but I'm just wondering if anyone else had heard of it? I have never seen this before.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion mod that bans cards?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:38:42 am »

I have also had this maybe it was the same Person. They banned a card that i wanted to get and I just bought it anyway since i hadnt agreed to banning cards beforehand. Another message popped up that said "sorry, that card was banned". I also dont see the use of this since it isnt enforceable and I dont like the idea of banning cards anyway.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:41:50 am »

My guess is that the guy is just copypasting this message whenever he feels like it, and no "mod" is involved here.

Either way he definitely can't affect your ability to buy/gain cards if his "mod" is client side only.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:54:56 am »
+13

I see the secret code I use to beat my opponents has leaked into the wild.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:59:20 am »

Must be a programmer from making fun. Can you still buy the card? If you can then it doesn't matter. Also now that banning is getting available we can just ban him.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 08:17:08 am »

I'm pretty sure I played this guy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 10:10:50 am »
+4

Who would want to ban Cutpurse?  Cutpurse is fun.  At any rate, Remake makes it and Taxman essentially irrelevant in this kingdom anyway.

EDIT: Oh, there's Chapel in there, too, fancy that
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 01:39:55 pm »

it's like donald says, some people just don't like attacks period

i've had people ask me for a gentleman's agreement to play without saboteur, on boards where it's irrelevant anyway

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 01:46:43 pm »

Who would want to ban Cutpurse?  Cutpurse is fun.  At any rate, Remake makes it and Taxman essentially irrelevant in this kingdom anyway.

It's actually a decently interesting kingdom. I was planning on trashing down to a few Market Squares, a few Squires, some Journeymen, and enough Gold / Baker to hit $15 or $16 every turn - then I'd either go Province or Duchy / Duke knowing I could skip some of those draws with Journeyman in either case.

When he nearly emptied the Squire pile by turn 5, I only grabbed two of them, and then immediately went for Duchy and Duke, adding Silvers / Golds when possible with Squire or Market Square. Ended up winning the Duchy split 5-3. And spiking Province a few times regardless, which he wouldn't have been able to do. Thinning is winning etc

bug me on discord

they/them

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 01:54:47 pm »

He negotiated a friendly torturer ban in this game (not that I would have minded free curses to pass back with masquerade!):

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160223/log.0.1456211472653.txt

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:21 pm »

it's like donald says, some people just don't like attacks period

i've had people ask me for a gentleman's agreement to play without saboteur, on boards where it's irrelevant anyway

In general I don't mind when people do this, because that's exactly what it is, negotiated. Both parties agree to it. Once or twice I've agreed to pretend Rebuild isn't in a kingdom for the sake of a more interesting game for example. But the way this is presented is as if it's not a choice, and I'm afraid this guy is misleading new users who don't realize his words are meaningless.

bug me on discord

they/them

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 08:13:23 pm »

I often ask my opponent if we can agree to not use a certain card if there's a card I hate in the kingdom, but I agree the way this guy words it isn't cool.

When I saw the subject, I was hoping someone was asking for or maybe actually making a mod that bans cards (to exclude from the kingdom, not just to not use it when it appears).

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 10:57:16 pm »

I once had someone ask not to use King's Court in a kingdom without attacks, Possession, or any such nastiness, because they just hated King's Court. It was very odd.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 01:29:39 pm »
+11

I don't like Province, Duchy or Estate. They are boring cards that just sit in your deck doing nothing. I wonder if I could persuade my opponents not to buy thenm ;)

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 12:57:43 am »
+5

I remember an opponent getting irrationally angry after I opened Chancellor, and raging throughout the game at my use of Chancellor. I wish I was kidding...

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 04:34:10 pm »

I remember an opponent getting irrationally angry after I opened Chancellor, and raging throughout the game at my use of Chancellor. I wish I was kidding...
Wait, were they complaining because they thought the card gave you an unfair advantage, or because they thought you were playing suboptimally by opening with it?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 05:52:34 pm »

Chancellor is actually a decent opening if it is the only terminal on the board.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 05:54:23 pm »

Wait, were they complaining because they thought the card gave you an unfair advantage, or because they thought you were playing suboptimally by opening with it?

Complaining because they thought it was unfair. The extra reshuffles it caused me were apparently very lucky for me.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 05:59:38 pm »
+2

Complaining because they thought it was unfair. The extra reshuffles it caused me were apparently very lucky for me.

If only there was some way for them to get the same reshuffling ability.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 07:30:57 pm »
+6

cutpurse feels so good when it works, like punching someone in the stomach, but legal

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 12:17:09 am »
+1

I should also add that I actually didn't win. My opponent spent the entire game cursing and insulting me and Chancellor for being lucky, and I didn't win.  :P

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 08:35:01 am »
+3

I should also add that I actually didn't win. My opponent spent the entire game cursing and insulting me and Chancellor for being lucky, and I didn't win.  :P

Well cursers tend to be strong without trashing to counter them, I hope you took it as a lesson learned.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 05:13:01 pm »
+1

I once had someone ask not to use King's Court in a kingdom without attacks, Possession, or any such nastiness, because they just hated King's Court. It was very odd.

KC games can sometimes feel like "first to draw KC with a powerful card wins!", and maybe they dislike those kinds of games?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 11:51:18 am »

I don't know why it's being regarded as odd.  Donald himself has singled out KC as one of the most high variance cards in the game, if someone is predisposed such that they dislike variance, mystery solved.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 02:40:39 pm »
+3

I don't know why it's being regarded as odd.  Donald himself has singled out KC as one of the most high variance cards in the game, if someone is predisposed such that they dislike variance, mystery solved.
In 2012, it was the card 20th best at helping the better player win.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2798.msg47781#msg47781

For sure people think of it as swingy though. One of my playtesters hated it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.