Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Scheme  (Read 17411 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Scheme
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:12:32 pm »
+11

Muwahahaha. Your nefarious plans are finally coming together. The pieces are in place and now it is time to execute them. But wha't this? Everything fails to come together at the right time? That contemptible hero has thwarted you yet again with nothing more than dumb luck and a stupid face. AND he gets the girl. Where is the justice in this world? If only your nefarious plans had been nefarious ... schemes. Then your plans would be impervious to blind chance.

Scheme is, quite simply, awesome. It's basically like the stage crew for a rock band. It's never standing in the limelight, and really isn't anything special on its own, but it works to let the main players do their job. Without it the band has much less time to rock out and compose killer riffs and snort coke and ...i think this analogy got away from me. Anyway, Scheme is very often worth a pick up as it lends itself very well to most engines and can be used for sever very clever plays.

The Reliable Engine

We've all had games where we play a Torturer only to draw 3 Villages you cant use. Well Scheme gives you all the benefits of a complex engine, while reducing the variance of shuffle luck, sometimes to zero. Being able to top-deck a Village/Smithy pair or a couple of Hunting Parties or whatever else it is that makes your engine go is an amazingly useful ability. Almost any engine can benefit from the addition of some Schemes.

Of course, there is a balance to strike. Every time you buy a Scheme, you aren't buying another engine component. So in a sense, Scheme sacrifices raw power for reliability. Normally this is a good thing, but it can be taken too far. If you find yourself returning way more actions than you need to draw your deck or the Schemes themselves because you don't have enough other things to return, you've likely over-invested.

The Non-Colliding Terminals

In Big Money type decks which only buy a few actions, Scheme can, essentially, act like a second copy of whatever flavor of terminal action you're using. By getting to top deck your terminal for use in consecutive hands, you reduce your collision chance to zero (or closer to 0 when you have blind draw). This, however, comes at a price. Whenever you draw your Scheme after your terminal, you only get to play the terminal once that reshuffle. Had the scheme been an actual second copy of the action, you'd have gotten two plays. Over the course of a game, the double terminal deck gets more plays of the terminal action than the scheme/terminal deck. So typically, you favor a second terminal over a scheme.

However, when a card is more important to play early, where the chance of collision is higher, scheme/terminal becomes the better option. Specific examples of terminals which benefit from a scheme include Jack of all Trades, Sea Hag, and Witch.

Particularly Good Combos:

Almost any action in the game could find some benefit from scheme in the right engine. I could spend all day listing them, but I've just highlighted a few particularly interesting or powerful uses.

King's Court - This is definitely the king of Scheme combos. KC/Scheme doesn't actually need any other actions to be useful. KC/KC/Schemex3 lets you start every turn with 9 cards, guaranteed. Though the odds of having no other useful action are slim. Replace that third scheme with, lets say, ALMOST ANYTHING, and you are poised to do some truly ridiculous things.
Outpost - Scheme/Outpost needs a third card to work, but scheme effectively neutralizes the typical drawback of outpost by ensuring your 3 card hand has what you need in it.
Hunting Parties - Hunting Parties let you set up some really fast combos that can reliably get a Province per turn, until, of course you don't draw a Hunting Party. Then your deck with a single gold and a ton of green can't do much of anything. And since you really only need one silver in your deck, there is no lost opportunity cost for picking up a scheme when you fail to hit $5. Scheme turns the already reliable and fast Hunting Party stack into a true juggernaut nearly immune to greening.
Conspirator - Normally, the correct way to play scheme is to top-deck your other actions. In a scheme/conspirator deck you want to put back 2 schemes every turn. This guarantees that every conspirator you play is activated.
Remake - open Remake/Scheme and trim your deck super fast while still building up economy by turning estates into silvers. Then as you transition into an engine, you already have a Scheme to help smooth it out.
Double Tactician - These kinds of decks, when properly set up can do some amazing things and lead to extremely fast games. But if you fail to draw a tactician to play, you can easily find yourself playing catch up. Scheme will thoughtfully place that old Tactician right back on top for you to keep it going.

When Not to Buy

Scheme isn't a card you always want to buy. It's typically a great addition to any engine and can potentially boost a Big Money deck but there are some specific times when you might want to avoid them.

The one true counter - There is one card which absolutely destroys Scheme. I am referring of course to Minion. Not only does it force you discard the nice things you top-decked, but because you are discarding your good cards, the pool you have to draw your new 4 card hand is weaker. Double Ouch.
Discard attacks- While not enough to completely forgo scheme, discard attacks do discourage it a little. First, you don't want to top-deck too many cards because you'll just have to ditch them. Second, you might want to hold on to Schemes when you get hit, but the blind draw on them could mean you end up discarding a better card from hand than what you draw, which creates a bit of a dilemma.
Already reliable engines - As I said before, Scheme sacrifices power for reliability. But when you have an already reliable engine, and particularly when you have engine components at the same price point, you can probably forgo schemes altogether. Something like Wharf/Fishing Village is a good example.

Happy Scheming
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:44:33 am by jonts26 »

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
Re: Scheme
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:19:57 pm »

Nice article.  I think there's one more item that belongs in the "Particularly Good Combos" section, which is "any good attack."  It's the same basic principle you're getting at with the "non-colliding terminals" thing, but it's particularly crushing to get hit with a Mountebank or Militia every single turn.

Also, was playing this game right as I read your post...thematically appropriate:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/18/game-20120118-161158-3b527516.html

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »

In a sense Scheme, with a change of tactics,  can be a sorta bad counter to Minion. Instead of placing high value cards on top of the deck that will doubtless be Minioned away, instead replace the Schemes themselves.  Then, if they get shit-canned, who cares?   If the opponent does play Minion, instead of losing your best cards, you are more likely to draw into them.

This isn't a good counter to Minions.  But if you are in the situation, through shortsightedness, where Minion is ruining your Scheme deck, and you are wondering wtf to do, here is an option.  Yes, it would have been better to not get in this situation in the first place.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

A_S00

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:35:11 pm »

Since, if you don't use them to top-deck anything but themselves, Schemes are just cantrips, is top-decking all your schemes any better than just top-decking nothing vs. Minion?  Either you discard a bunch of schemes and draw a random sample of the rest of your deck, or you discard a random sample of the rest of your deck and draw another random sample of the rest of your deck.

There is one case I can think of where top-decking schemes could be really good against Minion, though, and that's where you're playing enough of them every turn that you can arrange to make the 6th-9th cards in your deck be the good ones (i.e., if you play 3KCed schemes, you can arrange the top of your deck to be, in descending order, (scheme, scheme, scheme, scheme, scheme, KC, KC, scheme, good terminal).  Then you draw 5 schemes, discard them to minion, and draw your good 4-card combo.  That sounds hard to pull off, though.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »

Nice article. One thing to mention related to colliding terminals is that you are trading off a chance of collision with a chance of skipping a shuffle. If you draw scheme after the terminal, you only get one play that shuffle instead of 2.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:27 pm »

Also, was playing this game right as I read your post...thematically appropriate:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/18/game-20120118-161158-3b527516.html

Actually this game illustrates one other fun scheme interaction I didn't really mention. Throne room/Scheme is obviously weaker than KC/Scheme, but it acts exactly like a village you can top-deck every turn. Also, not that it matters, but you should have loaded up on the Torturers.

Oh I should have said something about Golem too. Dang, there are just too many specific cards I want to mention.

A_S00

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:45:50 pm »

Also, not that it matters, but you should have loaded up on the Torturers.
Since there were no actual villages on the board and I was expecting to play from a 3-card hand every turn, I didn't think I'd be able to draw enough TR+Scheme pairs to get a real Torturer chain going.  Could be you're right, though; I only realized late in the game that TR>TR>Torturer was pretty much always going to draw a Scheme that I could play to avoid dead draws, which would help make an engine out of it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »
+1

There are some pacing issues with the scheme that I haven't fully come to terms with, even though I realise they exist.  Firstly, you only get the extra use of the action card on the turn after both the scheme and the action card have been drawn. That's typically slower than buying a second copy of the action card instead of the scheme. Does this suggest you should use the scheme with less urgent cards?

Let's consider though that if you play your scheme and action card, put your action back on the deck, then immediately shuffle and draw to 5 cards. This use of the scheme still sees the action only being played once between each reshuffle of the deck, although if you've immediately drawn the scheme again you might get benefit from the next use of the scheme. You have however got the action played immediately after the reshuffle so does this suggest you should use the scheme cards needing more urgency?

There's another consideration too of whether to buy the schemes before the other action card(s) or not. Scheming an expensive card is clearly better than scheming a cheap card as the impact is usually stronger, and you'd like the scheme in play before you draw the expensive card. However that usually means buying the scheme early and not getting use from it for a number of draws.

I will however mention some simpler things I understand a little better. If you play both a scheme and a reaction card you can keep the reaction card in hand most turns. If you have a good early game card, such as a jack-of-all-trades, you can use your scheme on that to start with then use the scheme on a late game card, such as a grand market, for province buying. This transfer can make the scheme faster/cheaper than buying an extra copy of both cards.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:07:15 pm by DG »

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:21:33 pm »

Since, if you don't use them to top-deck anything but themselves, Schemes are just cantrips, is top-decking all your schemes any better than just top-decking nothing vs. Minion?  Either you discard a bunch of schemes and draw a random sample of the rest of your deck, or you discard a random sample of the rest of your deck and draw another random sample of the rest of your deck.

I suppose you are right.  But my way you don't have to click away useless cards.

On the other hand, in a Minion situation it is usually my goal to not force reshuffles and try to get a fresh deck every turn.  If the schemes get wasted by my opponent's Minion that leaves my Minions intact in the remainder of the deck.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:26:00 pm by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:22 pm »

I suppose you are right.  But my way you don't have to click away useless cards.

On the other hand, in a Minion situation it is usually my goal to not force reshuffles and try to get a fresh deck every turn.  If the schemes get wasted by my opponent's Minion that leaves my Minions intact in the remainder of the deck.
It makes a difference, and the reason is reshuffle timings. If you put the schemes back, there are more cards in your draw pile, and it will take longer to hit your reshuffle. As to whether or not that's preferable, I'll let you figure that out (it's situational).

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:58 pm »

Let's consider though that if you play your scheme and action card, put your action back on the deck, then immediately shuffle and draw to 5 cards. This use of the scheme still sees the action only being played once between each reshuffle of the deck, although if you've immediately drawn the scheme again you might get benefit from the next use of the scheme. You have however got the action played immediately after the reshuffle so does this suggest you should use the scheme cards needing more urgency?
Also consider the fact that if this does happen you're also guaranteeing that the action doesn't miss the subsequent shuffle.  Not sure how much that really helps though.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:07:03 pm »

There are some pacing issues with the scheme that I haven't fully come to terms with, even though I realise they exist.  Firstly, you only get the extra use of the action card on the turn after both the scheme and the action card have been drawn. That's typically slower than buying a second copy of the action card instead of the scheme. Does this suggest you should use the scheme with less urgent cards?

So I was trying to craft a good response to this and it started getting pretty convoluted and involved magic terminals and still wasn't all that concrete. So I'll just say this again, scheme sacrifices raw power for reliability. This is usually desirable. And my strongest argument for scheme over second terminal is simply simulate it. 1 terminal + scheme typically dominates 2 terminals.

There's another consideration too of whether to buy the schemes before the other action card(s) or not. Scheming an expensive card is clearly better than scheming a cheap card as the impact is usually stronger, and you'd like the scheme in play before you draw the expensive card. However that usually means buying the scheme early and not getting use from it for a number of draws.

This is a good question and I think generally you don't want to open scheme, though getting one turns 3/4 is a good idea.. I think opening terminal/silver is going to be stronger a lot of times than terminal/scheme because you'll be more likely to hit $5 or $6 on turns 3/4 and you can use your other buy on the scheme. If you're going for witch or something, definitely open Silver/Silver and most likely do Witch/Scheme on turns 3/4 unless the fates are against you.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:08:10 pm »

I for one buy schemes as a first action sometimes.  You could make a good point that it doesn't add to economy ramp-up, and that is clear.  But with a very powerful card it pretty much guarantees it will be played back to back.

I think it is also clear that opening scheme/potion for uni, pool or apothecary is kinda strong. 

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:48:08 pm »

Ok it seems I might have to edit some stuff in the article about the terminals. I've run some more simulations and there are some cards where you do prefer two terminals to one terminal and a scheme, opening both terminal/scheme and terminal/silver scheme later. Specifically Militia and Monument both like two terminals. JoaT, Witch, Sea Hag all like scheme better.

I guess the missing reshuffle effect is stronger than I gave it credit for. If anyone wants to simulate other terminals maybe we can make a two terminal vs terminal/scheme list?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 02:20:28 am »

In my sims, the Witch likes the Scheme, the Mountebank doesn't. Has any an idea why it's like that? I would have thought it would be the other way round, because the Witch is more likely to draw the Scheme dead...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 02:29:09 am »

So regarding 2 terminals vs scheme + terminal, I think it should be clear that 2 terminals is generally better. The chance of colliding in a deck of N cards is 4/N, which goes to 0 as N gets large. The chance of skipping a shuffle is something like (N-5)/(2N), which goes to 1/2 as N gets large.
A few cards are better with scheme instead of two terminals, namely cards that get weaker later, like Sea Hag, Jack, and I guess Witch. Cards that maintain their strength like Militia and Monument you'd rather have more of the terminal.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 02:34:01 am »

So regarding 2 terminals vs scheme + terminal, I think it should be clear that 2 terminals is generally better. The chance of colliding in a deck of N cards is 4/N, which goes to 0 as N gets large. The chance of skipping a shuffle is something like (N-5)/(2N), which goes to 1/2 as N gets large.
A few cards are better with scheme instead of two terminals, namely cards that get weaker later, like Sea Hag, Jack, and I guess Witch. Cards that maintain their strength like Militia and Monument you'd rather have more of the terminal.

I think you raise a valid point. It makes sense for sea hag. After the curses are all out hag is a dead card while scheme isn't. But, Jack doesn't get weaker in the late game. No, the silver gain doesn't do anything and you arent looking to trash, but the card doesnt actively hurt you. Ditto witch.

It should also be noted that Jack is REALLY good with scheme. Probably the best terminal.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 02:41:48 am »

^Jack definitely gets weaker late in the game. Spy yourself and gain a silver at least isn't much better than +1 Card/+1 Action later in the game, especially when you've already eliminated the estates you'd want to skip with the spy action.

Anyway, maybe it's not as much about it becoming worse than a cantrip later, but about it just being weaker later than it is early. Early on (i.e. at the first shuffle), collision is more likely than shuffle skipping, but later it's much less likely. So you get more early plays but less as the game goes on. If the goodness is early-game-heavy, scheme is better than double terminal.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:47:38 am by HiveMindEmulator »

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 03:04:36 am »

Oh ok I think i misunderstood exactly what you were saying. Yeah that makes sense. And I think it does somewhat explain Witch. Basically there are two competing forces. Two terminals have the chance to collide - advantage: scheme. However, there is also a lower chance of playing both terminals in a reshuffle - advantage: not scheme. So the question is, which of these two dominate over the course of the game. Cards which are more important to play early tend to want to avoid collisions whereas cards that are indifferent to the game state just want to get played more.

Which brings us to the interesting difference between Witch and Mountebank. Witch wants scheme, mountebank doesn't. Witch does in fact get weaker later - namely once the curses run out, as does MB. However, curses run out later in the game with MB. Additionally, witch, with it's card draw, is more likely to collide than MB early.

OK I think I finally got my head around it. I'll update the article tomorrow. I'm tired.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 03:25:08 am »

Which brings us to the interesting difference between Witch and Mountebank. Witch wants scheme, mountebank doesn't. Witch does in fact get weaker later - namely once the curses run out, as does MB. However, curses run out later in the game with MB. Additionally, witch, with it's card draw, is more likely to collide than MB early.

and against Mountebank your deck growths faster, reducing the risk of collision.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 03:45:08 am »

OK I updated the article to stop the spread of misinformation and lies.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 04:59:19 am »

I liked that you added an intro! And the technical stuff was good too.

On the Jack discussion: Jack is always great! Early game trash Estates and gain Silvers, mid game skip Provinces and your late game can start a lot sooner because Jack keeps building economy while you green and skips those greens.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:10 am »

I believe you  have forgotten the second most powerful scheme combo:
Scheme/Scrying pool

This allows you to build an incredibly strong SP deck with only one SP. This also allows you to by large numbers of payload cards without having to worry about being unable to start the engine. You can drastically reduce the number of SP's you need, particularly in engines that don't require treasure or VP cards (bishop, goons, monument) or are going for a true game ending megaturn (bridge, highway). Scheme/SP/outpost is particularly annoying.

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 10:48:49 pm »

Regarding Scheme vs Minion, there are some workarounds that may or may not work well, depending on the kingdom. For example, you can top-deck moats or HTs or ensure lighthouses are going off every round.
A more extreme way to get it done is by playing outpost on your outpost turn so you get a 3 card hand.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 04:34:33 am »
+1

I used a Scheme to my advantage in a Minion mirror: I had a Spice Merchant which had become useless (no more treasure), so I used the Scheme to put it on top, knowing my opponent would Minion it away.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.