Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Lost Arts  (Read 16862 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Lost Arts
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 12:41:23 pm »

And how awesome would this make Wharf!?

Interestingly, Wharf actually gains les from this than other cards because it is a duration. Consider Wharf vs Margrave with Lost Arts. You will probably be able to draw your deck with both of them. Margrave gives +3 cards per turn, while Wharf gives +2 cards this turn and +3 cards next turn, so on average only 2.5 cards per turn, which is roughly the same as putting the token on Ranger.

It's still really good because Wharf is such a good card to begin with, but in general you'd prefer to put this on non-durations.

Huh?  How does Wharf become +3 cards next turn?  This is the +action token.  Even if we were talking about the +card token, it triggers on this turn, not next turn.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 12:43:47 pm »
+1

Interestingly, Wharf actually gains les from this than other cards because it is a duration. Consider Wharf vs Margrave with Lost Arts. You will probably be able to draw your deck with both of them. Margrave gives +3 cards per turn, while Wharf gives +2 cards this turn and +3 cards next turn, so on average only 2.5 cards per turn, which is roughly the same as putting the token on Ranger.

It's still really good because Wharf is such a good card to begin with, but in general you'd prefer to put this on non-durations.

Huh?  How does Wharf become +3 cards next turn?  This is the +action token.  Even if we were talking about the +card token, it triggers on this turn, not next turn.

What he is saying is that the Duration effect of Wharf results in the same net hand size as playing a +3 Cards draw card. "+2 Cards next turn" should be thought of similarly as an action that you played this turn that drew you 3 cards. It's confusing terminology (and, like, wrong objectively) for sure, but for some players it is a better understanding than "wow Wharf is just two Moats???"
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 12:48:08 pm »
+1

What he is saying is that the Duration effect of Wharf results in the same net hand size as playing a +3 Cards draw card. "+2 Cards next turn" should be thought of similarly as an action that you played this turn that drew you 3 cards. It's confusing terminology (and, like, wrong objectively) for sure, but for some players it is a better understanding than "wow Wharf is just two Moats???"

I took it to refer to the fact that Wharf is not in your deck next turn, making one fewer card you have to draw in order to draw your deck.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2016, 12:57:35 pm »

Oh, OK then.

I think the simpler argument re: tokens on durations is that you'll only get their benefit every other turn per card and that the first turn effect is often relatively weak because the power is in the next turn.  It's more effective to use tokens on cards which you'll play more often and that are more powerful from the start.  But there are still times when the token may be most effective on a duration, e.g. when you're not drawing your deck anyway.  I can see +action on Wharf as being a good choice pretty often.

Also, the draw from Wharf is bigger than Ranger if you count cards drawn per play.  If I have 4 copies, Wharf will draw 16 cards (20 if you use that odd way of counting) while Ranger only draws 10.  They only become similar if you are drawing your deck every turn.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:02:17 pm by eHalcyon »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 03:25:14 am »

Duration cards have an implicit +1 Action for the next turn.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 08:59:10 am »
+2

Wharf: Moat with +Buy this turn, Non-discarding-Warehouse-with+Buy next turn.

Clearly the best way to think about it.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 02:41:43 pm »
+1

Lost Arts + Cultist is actually quite neat, as it turns the cultists into villages (or splitters, as the cool kids say).

CPiGuy

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: CPiGuy
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 01:51:36 pm »
+2

Um. This is a really amazing thing to put on Poor House in a game with trashing, because you can easily obtain lots of Poor Houses, and play several of them in a turn without having any treasure.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 04:26:38 pm »
+3

Um. This is a really amazing thing to put on Poor House in a game with trashing, because you can easily obtain lots of Poor Houses, and play several of them in a turn without having any treasure.

In general it’s better to put Lost Arts on draw vs payload, but situationally this is cool I guess.

bug me on discord

they/them

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 01:20:39 am »

In general it’s better to put Lost Arts on draw vs payload, but situationally this is cool I guess.

But then you can only play one Poor House, or Bridge, or whatever. Is the argument that it's better just to put it on Smithy and use Treasure as payload for better turn-to-turn reliability?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 02:04:58 am »
+2

But then you can only play one Poor House, or Bridge, or whatever. Is the argument that it's better just to put it on Smithy and use Treasure as payload for better turn-to-turn reliability?

No, the argument is that it's better to put Lost Arts on Smithy so you can draw all your villages and Poor Houses and then play them, rather than having to find your villages first before you play your Smithy so that you can then play your Lost-Artsy Bridges.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 07:55:27 am »

No, the argument is that it's better to put Lost Arts on Smithy so you can draw all your villages and Poor Houses and then play them, rather than having to find your villages first before you play your Smithy so that you can then play your Lost-Artsy Bridges.

Yes. Additionally, if there are no Villages, you probably don’t want to play a “spam Bridge and hope you have two or three in your hand at once” strategy rather than “draw your deck terminally and have a Bridge at the end”.

Nonterminal draw or neutral-sifting changes this, of course, as a notable edge case

bug me on discord

they/them

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 08:43:18 am »
+1

You can also put the Lost Arts on the non-terminal draw, which is usually better than putting it on the terminal payload.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 08:45:00 am »
+1

My philosophy is to just put it on the pile you want your deck to be playing the most cards from, that way you get the most extra actions. Which is more often draw than payload since you need a bunch of draw cards to draw your whole deck.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 09:21:57 am »
+1

If there are enough splitters in the kingdom, I would usually prioritize Lost Artsing draw over payload even if I need to be playing fewer draw than payload cards for the reason described by AJD.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 09:34:09 am »
+2

My philosophy is to just put it on the pile you want your deck to be playing the most cards from, that way you get the most extra actions. Which is more often draw than payload since you need a bunch of draw cards to draw your whole deck.

Even if draw cards aren’t the terminal you have the most of, it’s way easier to line up Village + Payload in a huge hand than it is to line up Village + Draw in a small hand.

bug me on discord

they/them

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 10:13:48 am »
+3

I can't find the game # at the moment, but I had a Lost Arts game a few weeks ago where my opponent put Lost Arts on Bridge while I put it on Patrol.  They won the Bridge split 6-4 (maybe even 7-3), but were never able to connect more than 3 Bridges at a time, while I was drawing my deck every turn and could reliably green and pile out. 

Especially in games with other sources of +Actions, it's almost always better to put Lost Arts on your draw than on your payload. 

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 11:05:12 am »
+1

Lost Arts on Poor House is great.  What it needs is:
1. No draw OR no other splitters.
2. A source of +Buy.
3. A way to trash treasures.
4. Some way to hit $6 early, especially since Poor House doesn't help you do it.

People are comparing it to Bridge.  Why are you comparing it to Bridge?  Poor House isn't like Bridge.  Bridge payload increases quadratically with the number of Bridges.  Poor House payload increases linearly.  If you play 2-3 Poor Houses a turn, that's fine.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 02:54:07 pm »

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the humble Steward. I once played a game in which I bought almost nothing else: once you've added Lost Arts, it's thinning, payload and engine in a single cheap card. Add a bit of +Buy and you're sorted.

Another option is to put Lost Arts on a throne. If you throne terminal draw with Lost Arts on the terminal draw, you don't really need +2 Actions, whereas Lost Arts on the throne itself can help string together payload once you've drawn and/or leave you swimming in actions when you throne a throne. Specifically, I've had a lot of fun putting Lost Arts on Procession on a board with strong $5s that are already cantrips.

josh56

• Thief
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 05:16:41 pm »

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the humble Steward. I once played a game in which I bought almost nothing else: once you've added Lost Arts, it's thinning, payload and engine in a single cheap card. Add a bit of +Buy and you're sorted.
I guess that's because Lost Arts is arguably best with terminal draw cards anyway. The particular advantage of Steward is unlike other +2 Cards variants you want one or two early for trashing anyway. So even on board without extra buys it could be a Lost Arts target (whereas cards like Moat or Oracle might not be).

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2017, 06:22:41 pm »

I guess my assumption was that there would be no villages in the kingdom. I agree otherwise. I also suppose on the circumstance that you really want to play two different terminal payload cards and there are no villages, you'd need to put Lost Arts on one of them.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 12:38:45 am »

-How quickly do you want to get this?
I'm going to say after you purchased 2 of that Action

-What Actions are the best targets for Lost Arts?
Terminal card draws, although chains (+1 action) aren't bad either if you got terminals.

-How does it compare to the other token Events, and Teacher?
Teacher takes such a long time to get to that AFAIK, it may too late more times than not

Seaway remains unique since it only works on supply action cards $4 or less, and you need to gain that card, but it does get you copy of that card

Priced rather according vs. all the other 3 player token events.  In the right usage, it feels like you can, rule your Dominion  8)
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2018, 05:30:25 am »

Usually you want to have multiples of the pimped card, and most people don't think of Steward as a card you want to have multiples of. Turning Steward into a Lab/Bat/Mystic Overlord changes that quite a bit, but given enough +Buy I would mostly spam Faithful Hound before I spam Steward.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2018, 08:18:46 am »

Usually you want to have multiples of the pimped card, and most people don't think of Steward as a card you want to have multiples of. Turning Steward into a Lab/Bat/Mystic Overlord changes that quite a bit, but given enough +Buy I would mostly spam Faithful Hound before I spam Steward.

Unless economy is really, really tight, I would rather take Steward for the option to cash out instead of drawing. It’s usually worth $1 more for that option.

In real games with all 3, though. I would take whatever pile my opponent doesn’t.

bug me on discord

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2018, 08:28:32 am »
+1

2-3 Stewards is pretty common when it's the best trashing and the other trashers don't complement it particularly well.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.