Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Inheritance  (Read 15778 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Inheritance
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:28:38 am »
+9

Here, have a "small" loan of a million dollars.

According to MF, Inheritance is the hardest thing from Adventures they're having to implement, and for once, I actually believe them.
-Do you want to try to spike to get this?
-What are the best enablers for Inheritance?
-What cards are best to Inherit?
-Are there any cards that make you want to pass on Inheriting?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Events: Inheritance
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 12:32:47 pm »
+5

Baron has a nice synergy with this card. Helps you hit 7 and gains you free estates after that.

With cost reduction cards like bridge you can get $5+ cards.

I don´t think i would go for Inheritance when there is strong trashing in the kingdom. I would just get rid of my estates.

+Buy on the board helps this card alot. You can essentially gain a $4 card for $2 and you want to buy multiples in that case.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 01:35:46 pm »

I think the main problem with this card is the availability of good targets.

Often you don't want that many $4's. But sometimes the $4's are Villages and instantly getting 3 of those by paying $7 once can be a good deal, especially when any future Estates copy the ability as well.

I think trashing is better than waiting for Inheritance and most engines like/depend on trashing anyways, so you need a pretty specific board where this is a good event.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 01:39:29 pm »
+1

Often you don't want that many $4's. But sometimes the $4's are Villages and instantly getting 3 of those by paying $7 once can be a good deal, especially when any future Estates copy the ability as well.

I think trashing is better than waiting for Inheritance and most engines like/depend on trashing anyways, so you need a pretty specific board where this is a good event.

Ah, but you know what else is important for engines? +Buy. And once you can pick up your $4 villages for $2 each AND they're each worth 1 VP…

People seem to constantly forget that Inheritance also works on all future Estates you gain.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »
+3

Ah, but you know what else is important for engines? +Buy. And once you can pick up your $4 villages for $2 each AND they're each worth 1 VP…

People seem to constantly forget that Inheritance also works on all future Estates you gain.
Once you hit 7 2 is not that different than 4.
1 vp isn't that good too.

It's a big difference when you've got a bunch of +Buy.

1VP isn't much, but it adds up.  Engines especially like good alternate sources of VP.  Estate can be that if there is a decent Inheritance target.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 02:50:26 pm »
+3

Once you hit 7 2 is not that different than 4.
1 vp isn't that good too.

This is completely backwards. It's at the start of the game that $2 is not that different from $4. Once you're building up an engine, $2 can be twice as good as $4. You can potentially get two $4 engine pieces for $4, plus 2 VP. And 2 VP is not trivial.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 03:02:16 pm »
+2

1 is bad when that's all the card does.  1 as an addition to everything else a card does is pretty nice.  In an engine game, I'm going to get 2-4 Smithies, probably.  If Smithies were and gave 1, I'm gettin' all of 'em.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 03:12:53 pm »
+6

Normally strong trashers mean you trash your Estates and stop considering Inheritance. Not always though. I have gone for Inheritance over opening with Chapel and won.

People especially like to Inherit cantrips, and more especially villages. You can do well inheriting other good cheap cards though. It's exciting to lower costs and Inherit a $5, but as usual Events don't get cheaper so it's tricky to do that and get to $7. The recommended sets set up Monument in one and Bridge Troll in another.

It was so sweet when we were first playtesting it - getting lots of Estates into play, so bizarre. Drawing bad hands, no wait, these Estates all do things. Buying up Estates.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 03:28:25 pm »
+1

I've had a good experience Inheriting Ranger

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 06:21:39 pm »
+4

Fun rules stuff about Inheritance, if I'm not overlooking other card examples.

- It uses the word "gain", but not to refer to gaining a card.

- It's the only card to talk about "abilities" as a thing that cards have. It's pretty intuitive what this means, but it's not the type of thing that would be defined in the rules outside of clarifying what Inheritance does. On the contrary, MTG with it's hundreds of pages of rules, actually specifically defines what an "ability" is.

- It's one of the very few ways that you can end up having a card that's considered "yours" without gaining it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 12:11:21 am »

- It's one of the very few ways that you can end up having a card that's considered "yours" without gaining it.

What are the other ways? Masquerade is one, what else?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4442
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 12:33:51 am »

If you buy a card but reveal Trader (or are being possessed, I guess), it's "yours" for the brief interval before you reveal Trader but you never gain it. This matters for on-buy effects.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 12:39:48 am »

If you buy a card but reveal Trader (or are being possessed, I guess), it's "yours" for the brief interval before you reveal Trader but you never gain it. This matters for on-buy effects.
If you trash Fortress, it's not yours, then becomes yours again due to its ability.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 12:50:53 am »
+2

This just made me realize a rather frivolous interaction between Possession and Noble Brigand

-Play Possession
-Make opponent buy Noble Brigand
-Reveal and trash Gold
-Opponent gains Gold
-Wait, scratch that, you gain it instead
-Reveal Watchtower, put it back on top of deck
-Gain Noble Brigand

8)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 08:35:09 am »
+1

When you exchange a Traveller. And the starting cards are yours but never gained.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 02:33:19 pm »

When you exchange a Traveller. And the starting cards are yours but never gained.

Edge case! Thief can gain the starting Coppers.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1608
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 02:35:42 pm »

Edge case! Thief can gain the starting Coppers.

Ambassador can also force an opponent to gain your starting Coppers and Estates.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 12:16:40 am »
+4

A bit of a thought - Inheriting Sir Martin seems like a pretty decent deal. You get exclusive access to a pile of Knights that can't be trashed by other player's Knights, that only cost $2 and give you the +Buy that makes it easier to get a bunch of them (which you can use as insurance against the event that you lose one or two in revealing your opponents' Knights). The main downside to doing so is the same as buying Sir Martin - you might reveal a better Knight for your opponent to buy.

But what if Sir Martin isn't on top of the Knights pile? How decent do the top Knights have to be that you would consider buying them in order to reveal him? It probably depends a lot on whether there's another decent Inheritance target, so I guess the other side of the question is how bad do the other options have to be to make you want to dig for him?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 12:46:07 am »

A bit of a thought - Inheriting Sir Martin seems like a pretty decent deal. You get exclusive access to a pile of Knights that can't be trashed by other player's Knights, that only cost $2 and give you the +Buy that makes it easier to get a bunch of them (which you can use as insurance against the event that you lose one or two in revealing your opponents' Knights). The main downside to doing so is the same as buying Sir Martin - you might reveal a better Knight for your opponent to buy.

But what if Sir Martin isn't on top of the Knights pile? How decent do the top Knights have to be that you would consider buying them in order to reveal him? It probably depends a lot on whether there's another decent Inheritance target, so I guess the other side of the question is how bad do the other options have to be to make you want to dig for him?

The odds of being able to Inherit Sir Martin are pretty slim, but inheriting him would be pretty insane.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 06:44:19 am »
+1

A good way to get rid of your Estates. :)

Quick rules question: Your Estates gain the abilities and types of the inherited card, but they keep their own, right?

So if you inherit Smithy, your Estates become dual Victory-Action type cards, like Nobles?
And if someone plays Tribute, they can get +2 Cards, +2 Actions this way?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 06:47:55 am »
+3

A good way to get rid of your Estates. :)

Quick rules question: Your Estates gain the abilities and types of the inherited card, but they keep their own, right?

So if you inherit Smithy, your Estates become dual Victory-Action type cards, like Nobles?
And if someone plays Tribute, they can get +2 Cards, +2 Actions this way?

Yes.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 04:45:43 pm »

The odds of being able to Inherit Sir Martin are pretty slim, but inheriting him would be pretty insane.
Well, first you need Inheritance and Knights in the kingdom, which is about the same odds as any other two-card combo (adjusted for the fact that it includes an Event). Then you need Sir Martin to be the top card of the Knights on the turn that you're prepared to buy Inheritance, which I think just means that it has to be in the top half or so, so let's say about 50-50? That's not terrible odds, although there will definitely be times where you'll just buy Sir M to prevent your opponent Inheriting him, so I'm sure that not every game where the possibility exists will wind up with it happening.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 04:48:18 pm »

Well with Bridge, Highway, Bridge Troll, Quarry, or Princess, you can Inherit any Knight.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 06:22:25 pm »
+1

Well with Bridge, Highway, Bridge Troll, Quarry, or Princess, you can Inherit any Knight.
True. So it's not too bad a chance that you could do that, in which case Martin may not be the greatest choice. In fact, if you've got Knights+Inheritance+cost reducer and a severe lack of any one engine component, you pretty much *have* to try to Inherit the Knight that provides it. Suddenly you have access to the only pile of Villages on the board, and it's game over. So again, if there's a "best" Knight to Inherit and you can't afford Inheritance when they're on top, do you almost certainly buy it just to deny your opponent the chance?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 08:52:52 pm »

A question posed: If Inherited cards have extra bonuses on them, do they also apply to the Estates?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 08:57:38 pm »
+2

A question posed: If Inherited cards have extra bonuses on them, do they also apply to the Estates?
If you mean like, you have a +$1 token on Caravan and Inherit them, then no. The +$1 token cares about the pile a card is from, and Inheritance doesn't change what pile Estates are from.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 09:23:50 pm »

If you mean like, you have a +$1 token on Caravan and Inherit them, then no. The +$1 token cares about the pile a card is from, and Inheritance doesn't change what pile Estates are from.

Thanks.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 11:55:35 am »
+4

Drool-worthy Inheritance targets: Ironmonger and Magpie. There are insufficient words to express the glory.

Sure, sometimes you just use Inheritance to get rid of your Estates. Heck, I've inherited Feast when I had spare actions (would you buy Feast at $2?) but it's so much more fun when Inheritance can be the cornerstone of your strategy.

An insane Inheritance story: 3p IRL game. Two of us start Ambassadoring Estates at the others. Player 3 (my wife) doesn't. She absorbs them all while buying a little bit of money and sifters and manages to spike 7 and Inherit Crossroads, which does a startling impression of Madman for the rest of the game and wins easily.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 12:43:12 pm »

Drool-worthy Inheritance targets: Ironmonger and Magpie. There are insufficient words to express the glory.

Sure, sometimes you just use Inheritance to get rid of your Estates. Heck, I've inherited Feast when I had spare actions (would you buy Feast at $2?) but it's so much more fun when Inheritance can be the cornerstone of your strategy.

An insane Inheritance story: 3p IRL game. Two of us start Ambassadoring Estates at the others. Player 3 (my wife) doesn't. She absorbs them all while buying a little bit of money and sifters and manages to spike 7 and Inherit Crossroads, which does a startling impression of Madman for the rest of the game and wins easily.

Ambassador sounds clearly bad when Inheritance is around.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 12:47:57 pm »
+2

I don't know, copper is still copper, and with 3 players Ambassador junks more than it thins.
I would amend that "clearly bad" to "less awesomely crippling".

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1608
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »
+1

Really? I get Ambassador when Shelters are out all the time, and an Ambassador that you can't use to send over 3/10 of your starting cards is certainly no better than one that you can, but won't, use to send over those cards.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 03:53:48 pm »

Really? I get Ambassador when Shelters are out all the time, and an Ambassador that you can't use to send over 3/10 of your starting cards is certainly no better than one that you can, but won't, use to send over those cards.

The strategy for how to best use ambassador probably changes quite a bit, but yeah, it's going to still be good.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 04:02:51 pm »

I very rarely get Ambassador in Shelters games. Sure you can still send over 7/10 of your starting cards, but those other 3 are the ones you most want to be rid of.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 04:18:06 pm »

I very rarely get Ambassador in Shelters games. Sure you can still send over 7/10 of your starting cards, but those other 3 are the ones you most want to be rid of.

Ambassador is less of an automatic card in shelters games.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.