Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Hireling  (Read 21509 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Hireling
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 07:06:23 pm »
+3

Like Haddock said. Procession on Hireling plays the Hireling twice, trashes the Hireling (gaining a $7 action), and stays in play, you get +2 cards at the start of every turn. Prc1-Prc2-Hireling/Graverobber, the Prc2 plays the Hireling twice (you get +2 cards at the start of each turn), trashes the Hireling (gaining a $7 action), then plays the Graverobber twice, letting you retrieve two action cards from the trash (potentially including Hireling), then trashes the Graverobber (gaining a $6 action), then Prc1 trashes Prc2 (gaining a $5 action) and is discarded at end of turn. So you wind up with no cards that stay out, and if you have a few copies of this going and can play some more Graverobbers you can wind up with net no cards trashed.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 02:58:59 am »

As it's competing with Gold, I'd probably rather just get a Gold instead, even though this is more exotic and exciting.

However, if I can get it cheaper via Quarry, then that would be my hook.  And yeah, if there's going to be a slog, then this could be nice.

Plus, any case where you realize how much nicer things would be if you only had one extra card :)
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 07:16:18 am »
+2

As it's competing with Gold, I'd probably rather just get a Gold instead, even though this is more exotic and exciting.

However, if I can get it cheaper via Quarry, then that would be my hook.  And yeah, if there's going to be a slog, then this could be nice.

Plus, any case where you realize how much nicer things would be if you only had one extra card :)
I think it's usuallynot  the right move not to get a gold before you have a few of these things. Perma-labs are pretty good. Gold is a $6 card in one hand, Hireling is a $5 card in all your hands.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »

Gold and Hireling are not competing, they are sold at differen stores as they do completely different things. The added draw and reliability is pretty much always nice if it's not too much of a problem to gain and play them.

Slogs are probably a good example of when Gold is probably better than Hireling, but most of the time I'd rather have more cards! The comparison to Lab is kinda helpful, Hireling is good when Lab would be good, with a few exceptions
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »

Hireling is such a good card. I think its rating power with players is going to only increase as time goes on. A lot of people on these forums are more down on Hireling.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:25:17 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 03:36:09 pm »

Hireling is something I might open Coppersmith for...

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:55 pm »
+2

Like Haddock said. Procession on Hireling plays the Hireling twice, trashes the Hireling (gaining a $7 action), and stays in play, you get +2 cards at the start of every turn. Prc1-Prc2-Hireling/Graverobber, the Prc2 plays the Hireling twice (you get +2 cards at the start of each turn), trashes the Hireling (gaining a $7 action), then plays the Graverobber twice, letting you retrieve two action cards from the trash (potentially including Hireling), then trashes the Graverobber (gaining a $6 action), then Prc1 trashes Prc2 (gaining a $5 action) and is discarded at end of turn. So you wind up with no cards that stay out, and if you have a few copies of this going and can play some more Graverobbers you can wind up with net no cards trashed.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.