Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Compilation - Art/Name Suggestions  (Read 30392 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Treasure Chest Compilation - Art/Name Suggestions
« on: February 25, 2016, 12:38:29 pm »

Current Card List

One thing that has come up in the past as a blocker for card images is finding appropriate art (preferably public domain). This thread is for suggesting possible art for contest winners, so that LastFootnote (or whoever) can more easily mock up the cards.

You can also use this thread to suggest new names for cards - eHalcyon's Storyteller in particular needs a new name because of the conflict with the official card which came out later. The final name is up to the designer of the card, but if you think you have a more appropriate name for any of the cards, feel free to throw them out - worst that can happen is an epic flame war leading to a mass exodus from the site they'll say no.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Compilation - Art/Name Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:47:14 pm »
+3

People seemed to not like the name Recycle from long ago when Recycle was chosen. Shipyard was deemed to be an appropriate replacement name. Plus it would probably be easier to find art to fit that. I would recommend changing the name from Recycle to Shipyard.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 07:22:44 pm »
+2

I have an idea for a replacement name for Storyteller: Bard. It's a synonym for Storyteller, but unlike Storytellers, they tell their stories with music.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 08:27:00 pm »

I have an idea for a replacement name for Storyteller: Bard. It's a synonym for Storyteller, but unlike Storytellers, they tell their stories with music.

There's also Playwright that could work.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 09:51:12 pm »
+1

Playing Company, Travelling Players, and Raconteur were eHalcyon's suggestions in the other thread (along with Bard from LibraryAdventurer).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 11:21:18 pm »

Playing Company, Travelling Players, and Raconteur were eHalcyon's suggestions in the other thread (along with Bard from LibraryAdventurer).

Raconteur is too similar to Storyteller, no? The other suggestions seem pretty good.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 10:12:45 am »
+3

People seemed to not like the name Recycle from long ago when Recycle was chosen. Shipyard was deemed to be an appropriate replacement name. Plus it would probably be easier to find art to fit that. I would recommend changing the name from Recycle to Shipyard.

Art for shipyard, other suggestions are welcome of course. Mocked it up. First time doing this, so don't mock. If someone else wants to make a prettier version the link to the picture is here.

Credit to CD Projekt S. Permission to use has not been obtained.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 10:35:42 am »
+6

Other suggested images for other people's cards. EDITS: Of course these are just suggestions, I certainly don't mean to dictate the card art for all of the cards in the set, but I do enjoy searching for images and think the ones below would be pretty good. If a card creator specifically dislikes the card art suggestion, post and I'll remove the suggestion.

Stalwart Mule

Indulgences

Mortuary

Florist
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:17:37 pm by yuma »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 02:04:22 pm »
+1

Raconteur is too similar to Storyteller, no? The other suggestions seem pretty good.

The theme of the card is somebody performing a story for an audience at this harvest celebration. Like, each new action card you play is an additional line to the story, which has a bit of an improv play-to-the-audience feel to it.  So Playwright doesn't fit as well here, though I think it's great in general.  I also feel like Bard may be more fitting to a castle of nobles than a celebration of peasants.

@yuma, the image needs to go behind the frame.  If you have a link to the source image, somebody can help with that.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 06:02:34 pm »
+1

@yuma, the image needs to go behind the frame.  If you have a link to the source image, somebody can help with that.

Yeah I know... All I had access to was Microsoft paint and I don't think it can do that. I understand that photoshop or GIP (sp?) can but I don't have easy access to those. The source image is hyperlinked in the same post as the mock up.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 07:23:49 pm »

Yeah I know... All I had access to was Microsoft paint and I don't think it can do that. I understand that photoshop or GIP (sp?) can but I don't have easy access to those. The source image is hyperlinked in the same post as the mock up.

Oops, didn't notice the link.  If nobody else does it, I'll see if I can later...

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 11:17:49 pm »
+2

Here are some more. Semi-intentionally and interestingly I am finding a lot of good art that features women.

Elixir

Bard (if that ends up being chosen)

Prefecture (this is actually more descriptive of a prefect... a person who works in a prefecture)

Magic Lamp

Servicemen
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:38:27 pm by yuma »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 01:47:09 am »
+2

It would be good to include a link to the source so that credit can be given.  And permission should be sought if the image isn't public domain or doesn't have an appropriate license available.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:05 pm »
+2

For some reason I was looking through Alayna Lemmer's website (she's done some art for Dominion, like the Champion line I think).  She has some pieces that might work well for some of these:

Florist

Bard (if that ends up being chosen)

These might actually have been used for other games, I'm sort of unclear on exactly what these are from.  I think they both look very Dominion-y though.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 12:12:12 am »

It would be good to include a link to the source so that credit can be given.  And permission should be sought if the image isn't public domain or doesn't have an appropriate license available.

I'll include links at a later date, but all are included in the hyperlink within the quote.

As for permission... I'll leave that for others once it is decided what art will actually be used.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 12:32:55 pm »
+1

Here's a possibility for Prawn Shop, if it were to be renamed to something Fishy:

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 01:19:32 pm »
+2

Prawn Shop

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 11:14:30 am »

I'd be happy to mock some of these up if you give me the art and text!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 08:52:58 pm »

The theme of the card is somebody performing a story for an audience at this harvest celebration. Like, each new action card you play is an additional line to the story, which has a bit of an improv play-to-the-audience feel to it.  So Playwright doesn't fit as well here, though I think it's great in general.  I also feel like Bard may be more fitting to a castle of nobles than a celebration of peasants.

I now favour "Travelling Players" as a new name for Storyteller.  I think it fits best with the intended theme of the card and it sort of calls back to Wandering Minstrel.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 08:54:38 am »

Thanks for the art Yuma!

I remember some people wanted the bottom of Mortuary changed, I'd be happy to do that.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 01:17:01 am »
+2

Mountain Pass is going to need a new name now.  But is there another name that thematically ties in with Quarry, Bridge and Highway?

Uh... Brick Road? :P

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 07:49:28 am »
+1

Mountain Pass is going to need a new name now.  But is there another name that thematically ties in with Quarry, Bridge and Highway?

Just "Road" might work.

EDIT: You could even find some art of a Roman road to fit with the expanded timeline of empires.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 04:33:12 pm »

I thought we already settled this. Hipster Mountain Pass, obv.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 05:32:46 pm »

Just "Road" might work.

EDIT: You could even find some art of a Roman road to fit with the expanded timeline of empires.

I'd like to have a reference to Quarry still.  Or maybe Embargo, since it is also a $2 self-trasher.

@mith Hipster Mountain Pass is too long to fit.  Otherwise, yeah, obv.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 05:50:52 pm »
+1

You just need to define a symbol that stands in for "hipster" so it doesn't take up as much space. I recommend:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.