Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 5: Seaside (Results!)  (Read 38935 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 5: Seaside (Results!)
« on: February 23, 2016, 02:47:59 pm »
+2

Results!
View Finalists
View Cards Submitted

This is the fifth contest for this year's set. This week's challenge: Design a card which would fit well in the Seaside expansion!

Submission Rules

• Each participant may submit one card per challenge.
• Participation in previous or future challenges is not required to participate in this one.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system. Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• The name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

Except where specified, you may not submit cards combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside or Adventures slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.
• Traveller cards, Reserve cards, and cards making use of player Tokens may only be submitted as candidates for an Adventures slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

Challenge #5: Seaside

Design a Kingdom card that would fit into the Seaside expansion. Such a card could have one or more of the following qualities:

• Does something on a future turn (Duration cards are included here).
• Interacts with the top of your deck or the tops of your opponent's decks.
• Interacts in some other way with future or past turns (e.g. Embargo or Smugglers).

The winner from 2014 is:

Quote from: yuma
Recycle

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card, setting it aside face down. At the start of your next turn, return the gained card to your hand and trash a card from your hand, gaining a card costing up to $1 more than that trashed card.

$5      Action – Duration

Keep in mind that voters may want something that fills a different niche this time around.

Submissions are due by the end of Wednesday, 2016-03-02.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:50:29 am by mith »

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 5: Seaside
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 02:49:17 pm »

The runner-up from 2014 will automatically be included in the preliminary voting. The author of this card is allowed to submit a new card as well. (As is yuma, designer of the winning card.)

Observatory
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Look at one card from your deck per $ in its cost. You may put one of them into your hand and discard any number of the others. Put the rest back in any order.

Other cards from 2014 may be resubmitted as is, tweaked, or discarded in favor of a new concept.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 03:22:06 pm »

So if the plan is still to fill out a set, I think submissions for the next contest should hold until voting for the previous contest ends, even if they are for different expansions.  The slower pace would be more accommodating to your schedule too.  There could be some overlap, but right now we have voting  in one contest before voting on the previous contest is even complete.  That's not enough time to consider what the set as a whole needs, or what card mechanisms might be interesting together.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:31 pm »
+1

I don't know that I would say the plan is to fill a set that would stand on its own as an expansion - the intent of the treasure chest idea (vs. the mini-set contest) is to pick a couple cards which could be mixed in with each existing expansion.

We may, closer to the end, slow down and/or have a couple slots focused on filling gaps in the treasure chest, but right now the different contests should be mostly independent from each other (unless they are from the same set - thus the note about the 2014 winner, and delaying the Event contest until the Adventures voting was complete).

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:24:14 pm »

The runner-up from 2014 will automatically be included in the preliminary voting. The author of this card is allowed to submit a new card as well. (As is yuma, designer of the winning card.)

Observatory
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Look at one card from your deck per $ in its cost. You may put one of them into your hand and discard any number of the others. Put the rest back in any order.

Other cards from 2014 may be resubmitted as is, tweaked, or discarded in favor of a new concept.

Isn't Observatory a Raze that can't trash itself?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 05:55:38 pm »
+1

Observatory

Yes, pretty much, but the earlier contest that this was entered in took place a while before adventures came out. So the author of this card had the honor of thinking up an official card before Donald did.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:32:02 am »
+1

Observatory

Yes, pretty much, but the earlier contest that this was entered in took place a while before adventures came out. So the author of this card had the honor of thinking up an official card before Donald did.

That's actually really awesome how close it is.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 11:41:38 am »

Yeah, I don't actually think Observatory has a chance for that reason, but including it to be consistent.

(I guess a vote for Observatory would be a vote against everything else...)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 08:10:33 pm »

I've enjoyed participating in these contests, but unfortunately have mostly only been able to throw old cards into it. I'm rusty as hell, gotta admit.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:57:02 pm »

Deadline postponed until next week (after Intrigue voting is concluded).

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 11:07:59 am »

Deadline: Friday, March 11.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 11:43:29 pm »
+2

You don't have to include Observatory. It's close enough to Raze that I wouldn't even want it in the set if it won. I think it's a cool thought to include the runnerups, though.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 04:18:19 pm »
+1

Breakwater
Types: Action – Victory – Duration
Cost: $4
+1 Action
+$1

At the start of your next turn:
+$1
Gain a Duration card.

Worth 1VP

Captain's Log
Types: Action – Duration
You may choose an Action card from your hand. If you do, play it. If it is a Duration card, play it again. Otherwise, set it aside.

At the start of your next turn, if you set a card aside with this, play the set aside card.

Cargo
Cost: $5
Set aside any number of cards from your hand. At the start of your next turn's buy phase, play the set-aside Treasure cards and discard the rest.

Diving Bell
Cost: $3
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
+2 Cards
+1 Action

While this is in play, when you would draw from the top of your deck, draw from the bottom instead.

Fisherwoman
Reveal the top card of your deck.
If the revealed card is an action set this card aside and play the revealed card. If the revealed card is not an action discard it and gain an action card worth up to $5.

If you set this aside, at the start of your next turn; gain and play an action card worth up to $4.

Harbourmaster
Types: Action – Duration – Reaction
+2 Cards

Discard any number of cards.
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

When another player buys a Victory card, you may play this card from your hand.

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.
Choose an Action card from your hand. Play it now and at the start of your next turn.

Note to artist: Helm as in ship's wheel, not helm as in helmet.

Helmsman
+1 Action
Name a cost. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one costing exactly the named amount. Put that card on top of your deck and discard the rest.

Pier
Cost: $6
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: Gain a Silver.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

On the turn you play this, when you buy an Action card, you may set it aside. If you do, play it at the start of your next turn, then trash it.

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

Prospector
Trash a card from your hand.
Choose one: +$2; or draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Sunken City
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Action card, play it. Otherwise, discard it.

Tactical Village
+1 Action
As long as this in play: At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +1 Action

You may discard Tactical Village from play during your turn. If you do: discard one duration card from every other player.

Clarification: I hope the way I phrased it, that it's also possible to discard Tactical village for example with Oasis. But it not, that's fine too.

Treasure Finder
At the start of each of your turns, look at the top three cards of your deck. You may discard as many as you like. Put the rest back on top of your deck in any order.

War Room
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Play it twice.
Once during this turn, when one of your Action cards would leave play, you may put it on top of your deck.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:31:35 pm by mith »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 04:38:35 pm »

Breakwater
Cost: 4
+1 Action
+$1
At the start of your next turn, +$1, gain a duration card.

Worth 1VP

That's one cheap and easy way to gain a duration card. I mean, I like the card,  but it seems very cheap at $4. At $5, or even $6, that would be better, I think.

Captain's Log
You may choose an Action card from your hand. If you do, play it. If it is a Duration card, play it again. Otherwise, set it aside.

At the start of your next turn, if you set a card aside with this, play the set aside card.

Not sure what happens with the duration card? I also think this is ridiculously much better than throne room, no? What am I missing?

Cargo
Cost: 5
Set aside any number of cards from your hand. At the start of your next turn's buy phase, play the set-aside Treasure cards and discard the rest.

I like it. I think this one might be a bit expensive, though. But I like it.

Diving Bell
Cost: 3
+2 Cards
+1 Action

While this is in play, when you would draw from the top of your deck, draw from the bottom instead.

Interesting. Also goes together well with pearl diver.

Fisherwoman
If the revealed card is an action set this card aside and play the revealed card. If the revealed card is not an action discard it and gain an action card worth up to $5.

If you set this aside, at the start of your next turn; gain and play an action card worth up to $4.

So you always gain? Cool card.

Harbourmaster
+2 Cards

O, definitely like this one. It's kind of a guide, but different.

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.
Choose an Action card from your hand. Play it now and at the start of your next turn.

A little bit of everything, but nothing overwhelms me. Nothing wrong, just not very inspiring.

Helmsman
+1 Action
Name a cost. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one costing exactly the named amount. Put that card on top of your deck and discard the rest.

This could even be +2 Actions in my mind. Like the concept.

Pier
Cost: 6

Holy shit. That's potentially a lot of silvers. I'd like it more if it was gained to your hand.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

On the turn you play this, when you buy an Action card, you may set it aside. If you do, play it at the start of your next turn, then trash it.

Haha, I have heard about this card before. I still don't like it: it sounds expensive to buy an action card and only use it once (except if it's... you know which one. ;))

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

So it's like a lost city in your next turn? Not bad.

Prospector

Cool.

Sunken City
Cost: 2
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Action card, play it. Otherwise, discard it.

I have this one printed as a possible card to use in a game. I like the concept.

Tactical Village
+1 Action
As long as this in play: At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +1 Action

You may discard Tactical Village from play during your turn. If you do: discard one duration card from every other player.

Clarification: I hope the way I phrased it, that it's also possible to discard Tactical village for example with Oasis. But it not, that's fine too.

Maybe a bit cheap, but an attacking duration card is quite cool.

Treasure Finder
At the start of each of your turns, look at the top three cards of your deck. You may discard as many as you like. Put the rest back on top of your deck in any order.

Like it.

War Room
Cost: 6
Once during this turn, when one of your Action cards would leave play, you may put it on top of your deck.

Pretty strong throne room, but why not?

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »

Captain's Log

Not sure what happens with the duration card? I also think this is ridiculously much better than throne room, no? What am I missing?

Actually, this is a much WEAKER Throne Room. It Thrones Duration cards, but Durationizes non-Duration cards, and there was an outtake that always Durationized, but it was discarded for being too weak. Therefore, Durationizing is worse than Throning, and therefore, this is nearly strictly worse than Throne Room for the same cost. Only reason I didn't vote for it.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 07:21:55 pm »
+1

Breakwater
+1 Action
+$1

+$1
Gain a Duration card.

Worth 1VP

Seems quite cheap for a non-terminal, no-cost-limit Duration gainer, don't you think? I think $6 would be good for this one.

Captain's Log

See my previous post.

Cargo

I think that most of the time, I'd rather play the Treasure cards now.

Diving Bell
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Now this is an interesting card. +1 Action should actually be first on the card, since order doesn't matter when it comes to +Actions since you have to finish resolving to use them anyway, but that's the only flaw I see. It also has sweet synergy with Pearl Diver, which is something that card desperately needs.

Fisherwoman

Another very interesting card. It reminds me of a weird mix between Herald and Band of Misfits. Of course, it isn't strictly better than BoM because that the gaining and playing an Action happens next turn, not this one. I'm definitely voting for this one.

Harbourmaster
+2 Cards

Seems kind of bleah. It's current turn effect is Moat and its Duration effect is Cellar, and its Reaction is similar to Caravan Guard's. It's bad when a card seems like you just threw a bunch of random, completely-unrelated cards together.

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.

"Play an Action now and at the start of your next turn" is an idea that everybody and their dog has tried by now. I'm kind of tired of it. The only good version I've seen is Royal Heirloom by LibraryAdventurer.

Helmsman
+1 Action

Pretty sweet. It seems like a mix between Wishing Well and Sage. Now, I know I said that throwing together a bunch of existing cards to make a new one is bad earlier, but that's only if it seems random and poorly thought out. This is anything but. Great job, whoever made this one! This one is my favorite of all of these cards.

Pier

EDIT: Oops, I accidentally skipped this one. Why would I want to gain a Silver every turn, with the exception of Feodum? Silver starts harming your deck eventually, at least in Colony+Platinum games, which makes up nearly all of the games that I play.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

I think I know who made this, but I'll keep my mouth (fingers?) shut. I liked it then, and I still like it now, so I am voting for it.

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

Is this card's name a pun on Pawn Shop? It seems too similar to Caravan for my tastes.

Prospector

This seems like you pulled three random effects out of a hat and made a card with those effects. Along with the cost, since this has the power of a $3-coster, maybe a $4-coster, but certainly not a $5-coster.

Sunken City
+1 Action

I also know who made this one, and like I said for Pioneer, I don't think I'll ever stop liking it, unless I playtest it and it turns out to absolutely suck.

Tactical Village
+1 Action

Too confusing if you discard somebody's Duration other than Tactical Village; other Durations' duration effects aren't contingent on that Duration staying in play, so tracking would be a nightmare.

Treasure Finder

For the rest of the game? You DO know that that means you can pretty nearly filter out any and all Coppers, Victory cards, Ruins, and, if you don't have any Trashers, Curses, right? Forget Chapel, this is about as strong as if you PRINCED a Chapel! Even better, in fact, since you can ignore Victories without having to trash them! Sorry, but this is just horrendously OP.

War Room

This is not quite a mix between Scheme and TR, because this can topdeck one-shots like Madman (although, because of the "would leave play, using its topdeck ability on Madman would prevent it from doubling your handsize since you didn't return it), and even Processioned cards! Pretty strong, and definitely worth $6.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:57:19 pm by Gubump »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 5: Seaside (Voting!)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 08:41:46 pm »

Tactical Village was awesome until the second half.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 08:59:50 pm »

my initial reactions:

Breakwater:  seems like a random collection of effects, and it could be crazy strong with other duration cards.

Captains log: I disagree with Gubump on this one. I think it's strong for its cost and could possibly even cost $5. otherwise seems good.

Cargo: Similar to another card I use (Lockbox, from the old Seaside contest). I like it, but I think it's overpriced.

Diving Bell: I like it.

Fisherwoman: Seems a little overcomplicated and very strong. Might not be bad, but I don't think I'll vote for it.

Harbourmaster: I like the idea, but if you play use the reaction, the on-play antisynergizes with the next turn effect. I'd like it better if it was actually a cellar effect (draw as many as you discarded). Then it wouldn't antisynergize with itself. Probably should cost $4. A cellar effect that doesn't reduce your handsize is significantly better than an actual cellar.

Helm: I agree with Gubump :)

Helmsman: Would be better if it put the card in your hand. Could probably cost $2 as-is. Doesn't excite me either way.

Pier: Why would anyone want to gain a silver every turn for the rest of the game? (unless they're playing Feodum of course.)

Pioneer: I like it. The duration effect is stronger than it looks because it gives a virtual +1card, +1action on your next turn.

Prawn Shop: doesn't interest me.

Prospector: I like it, but I agree it doesn't look strong enough for $5.

Sunken City: I (still) like it.

Tactical Village: not a fan. I generally don't like un-moatable attacks, among other things.

Treasure Finder: I don't like this effect on an unending duration.

War Room: very similar to LF's General. otherwise it seems good.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:55:56 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:35 pm »

The name 'Prawn Shop' is really appealing to me. But it's the exact same as a BGG card called 'Hedge Wizard,' but Hedge Wizard has a victory point tacked on.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 12:46:19 am »
+2

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.
While "Play an Action now and at the start of your next turn" is certainly worse than Throne Room, Helm is masquerading as such a weak card while also being attached to that "Laboratory + discard 1 card" that is too strong to cost $4.

Sunken City
+1 Action
I've played with this card. It is swingy early and annoyingly difficult to track when they start playing each other, since you have to keep track of which have been played this turn, been played last turn, and been played this turn by other Sunken Cities.

Tactical Village
+1 Action

This card may fall victim to the common misconception that Duration cards do something other than remind players that their Duration effects are enqueued. When Merchant Ship is played, it sets up the effect of getting +$2 at the start of your next turn, regardless of whether or not Merchant Ship is still in play. If Procession trashed the Merchant Ship (or Tactical Village discarded it), the +$2 would occur regardless. Notably, this can create an untrackable game-state if a player's Hireling were discarded by a Tactical Village (not that that would ever occur, since it would be almost strictly benefit to the owner of the Hireling). The only card that would have be affected by discarding it would be other players' Tactical Villages.
Even if it did snub Duration effects, Duration cards are cool, and I would not want to take any chance of discouraging them.

War Room
This can save trashed one-shots from being trashed, whether or not that is intentional. It also would prevent the "if you do (trash this)" clauses from triggering on cards like Mining Village.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 06:28:29 am »

I never found Sunken City difficult to track... But i guess you are right in that the card can have three "states", depending on when and how you played it. Or rather, it can cause other cards to end in that third state. I never had a problem with it, though.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +452
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 07:07:52 am »
+4

Prawn Shop

This makes me wish I'd submitted Clambassador.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 07:31:55 am »
+2

I have played with two cards cited above. Sunken City was, indeed, a bit difficult to track at times, but not impossible. You just needed to be attentive a bit.

Tactical Village was played as if it did remove the duration effect. Never realized that strictly speaking that was wrong, although it does feel like designed intend. The card we use did have 'attack' on it, so it could be moated. (In the game we played: 'lighthoused'. Although now I am wondering wether that works when you the 'attack' is below the line. It felt like it should be possible.) It was good fun: will I discard my TV to hurt my opponents Wharf or will I keep it and have another action in the next turn? The drawback was big enough to not stop people from playing duration cards, at least in that particular game. (Wharf, Tactical Village, lighthouse and fishing village.)

Created an interesting dynamic, even if the wording apparently wasn't tiptop. But that can be improved on to match the design intent.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 04:25:05 am »

Helmsman is one of the most interesting sifters I have ever seen and probably my favourite card here. The notion of a sifter which doesn't draw but merely prepares / topdecks is novel, simple and good.

Prawn Shop is probably just a joke card but it is quite interesting and similar to this.
The key question is of course whether a duration Lost City is really worth 4$ respectively how many Prawn Shops you need to self-synergize well enough.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 02:28:13 am »
+1

Breakwater
+1 Action
+$1

+$1
Gain a Duration card.

Worth 1VP

Okay let me just say now, I don't like the idea of a card that specifically calls out other Durations.  I don't really like cards in general that call out other "sub" types.  Squire is okay because it's just a nice little extra thing the card does, and Attacks are in every expansion.  For this, the Duration gaining is a major part of the card, and Breakwater is itself a Duration (which it needs to be, since a major part of the card only works with Durations on the board).  But think about what happens when Breakwater is the only Duration.  You either get all of them, or they're all dead; it's a Rats-type card and I think super-weak.  And when there are other durations, it's a totally different card, and also crazy strong I think, because it does so much stuff, like a semi-Harem super-Workshop thing.

Captain's Log

Again I don't like calling out Durations specifically, but I think this is a lot better than Breakwater.  I think it'll be confusing to track (even though it's designed to minimize tracking issues), and I don't really find it compelling enough to be worth it.

Cargo

It's a unique creative idea.  I think it's insanely weak as it is and wouldn't get bought much even at $2.  It could be a cantrip and then I think it'd be more appealing.

Diving Bell
+2 Cards
+1 Action

This is better than the old version.  I'm still not sure if the idea is interesting enough.  I think if I were playing with this card I'd forget to draw from the bottom every time.

Fisherwoman

A conditional duration is a cool idea but I feel like there should be a good reason for it to work that way, that's really essential to the concept, and I'm not really seeing that here.  I think it would mostly just be confusing.

Harbourmaster
+2 Cards

So this is a "fixed" Caravan Guard ("fixed" in quotes because I know a lot of people think there's nothing wrong with it, and I am aware that this is totally different from Caravan Guard).  I do think it's clever how when you play it out of turn, the next turn bonus becomes worse, so it's still a lab out of turn but not a whole lot better than that.

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.

So this is better than +2 cards +1 action discard a card.  Well it misses shuffles but still.  The ability to play the card next turn more than makes up for that.  But even at $5 I don't think the card is compelling enough that I'd vote for it.

Helmsman
+1 Action

Someone went for a non-Duration.  I think it's okay in Seaside.  I don't think the idea is really interesting though.

Pier

So basically just a crazy silver flooder.  I think it's a lot slower but also a lot bigger than Masterpiece and Trader.  I do feel like there are some interesting uses for it.  Like a big Wharf engine that easily draws itself, and needs more economy.  But eventually it forces you into a state of losing control over everything.  I also wonder if it gains too many silver, like the pile will run out too easily.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

Weird...I think I like it.  I think the extra effect might be weak, just because spending say $4 on a card just to play it once seems like a bad deal.  But there are definitely cases where you can make big things happen with it, and oh man Fortress is a thing.

So here's a bizarre question.  If I buy an Estate with this, which is Inherited as card X, and then buy Inheritance to move Estate token to card Y, when I play Estate next turn, I play it as card Y right?  I don't know why that wouldn't be the case, but it just seems weird.  I guess that situation can already happen with Summon.

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

Eh...this one is too vanilla.  I can't decide whether I love or hate the name.

Prospector

How does this fit into Seaside?

Sunken City
+1 Action

Again, maybe good though hard to track.

Tactical Village
+1 Action

Okay, a Hireling-style Village was something I thought about and thought it was reasonably interesting, though I think it should cost $6.  But I don't like the bottom half at all.  Like even assuming it worked the way the author intended, which would probably be a nightmare to word precisely.  It's like "let me give up my awesome village to try to hurt you more", and I feel like it's a lot more political than other attacks (because you're giving up something you like, and you choose when to do it), and I think it will feel bad for everyone when you do it, and it calls out Durations specifically, and just makes you not want to use other Durations.

Treasure Finder

This isn't a bad idea.  I think Permanent Scout has been suggested before and this was probably inspired by it.  I think it should cost at least $5, just because permanent effects are so strong.  It's like you anti-Rabble yourself every turn.  I think it could get annoying having to do this three times at the start of every turn if you get three of them in play.

War Room

It seems very loosely connected to Seaside to me.  I think a Throne Room-Scheme combo card has been suggested before.  It would probably be interesting.  I think the way it's worded makes it hard to track, especially with one-shots (you have to remember for the whole rest of the turn how many War Rooms' extra effects you've used up, and it's worse because the effect stacks when throned (not sure if that was intentional but that's how it works, despite the "Once during this turn" phrase), and of course this is bad since it is itself a Throne Room).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 10:08:58 pm »
+2

One of these is mine.

Breakwater
+1 Action
+$1

+$1
Gain a Duration card.

Worth 1VP

The vanilla bonuses are uninteresting since it's just Lighthouse.  The 1VP doesn't really add anything of value either and I think it would be better design to remove it.  The unique bit is the card gain that is restricted specifically to Duration cards.

Ah, I don't really like it.  It could be interesting if another Duration were guaranteed to be part of the kingdom, but Durations aren't that common.  If there is no other Duration, it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

Captain's Log

So this looks like an attempt to fix the Duration TR mentioned in the Secret Histories:

There was a now-and-later Throne Room variant. Play an Action, play it again next turn. It was both confusing and weak. What if you use it on a duration card? How long does it stay on the table? It could have said "non-duration," but that's pretty sad in a set with 8 duration cards. And did I mention it was weak? It left before development started.

This is the Duration TR for non-Duration cards and regular TR for Duration cards.  That serves to fix the confusing nature re: Durations, but I don't think it fixes the weakness of it.  That said, I wonder how weak it really is, and if it that could be addressed just by lowering the cost.  I'm wary, but I think this could be OK.

Cargo

Sounds weak to me, like a worse Merchant Ship.  Has some additional utility in sometimes making Victory cards miss the reshuffle.  I'd suggest lowering the cost and having it play the Treasures at the start of the next turn, which can have some fun interactions with (for example) Quarry.

Diving Bell
+2 Cards
+1 Action

New take on the draw-from-bottom concept.  I still think it's a neat idea.  The way it is here, it's a lot easier to set up your next turn (fitting for Seaside).  The Lab+discard thing has been called too powerful for $4 in the Secret Histories, which makes this seem dangerous, but this is top-deck rather than discard which is a big difference.  Neat combos with Pearl Diver, Wishing Well, many others.  I think this works.

Fisherwoman

The wording of this card seems overly complicated.  It's a Duration, why the set-aside with more text under a line?  Overall, it's doing too much stuff.  $5 gainer or gain-and-play -- both are interesting concepts that are rare in Dominion, and streamlining it to one or the other would make this a better card. 

I like that the $5 gaining is less reliable here and self-regulating.  I don't really like the delayed gain-and-play since Transmogrify is similar and better.

Also, I think this ends up causing the same confusion as the duration TR when you gain-and-play a duration next turn.

Harbourmaster
+2 Cards

Sounds like an alright variant of Guide.  It's less flexible for timing, but more flexible in selecting your hand.  The Reaction seems anti-synergistic.  When you play it from your hand, you immediately draw 2 cards... and then on your next turn the Duration effect is weaker because you'll (usually) have 7 cards but will only get to draw up to 5.

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.

So this should be a Duration itself, right?

Again, duration TR was no good according to the Secret Histories.  The draw here makes it stronger, but no less confusing.

(PPE: props to Fragasnap for noting that it's actually also the Lab+discard effect, which makes this too strong.)

Helmsman
+1 Action

Sounds good to me.  It's an interesting searching effect that is different from other stuff in the game.  I would recommend one change -- make it cantrip (and increase the cost if necessary) so that multiple Helsman can better stack.

Pier

I don't think I'd ever want this.  You need to buy this and play it, which is a pretty significant investment.  Gold is more impactful in the short term and medium term.  If I really want Silver, it seems better to just buy it directly.  Masterpiece and Raid fill the same niche.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

This is my favourite take on "play a chosen card next turn" so far.  Like the Duration TR variants, this also has the confusing issue of how long it stays in play if it plays a Duration next turn.  Otherwise, the interaction here is cool.  It doesn't suffer from weakness since it's useful on its own and you can almost guarantee that it will play something next turn.

It's not clear whether this will work on multiple actions.

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

It's cute that it covers the vanilla bonuses this way.  It's really weak this turn and strong next turn.  I think that the initial weakness is enough that this may be fine at $3.  I like it.

Prospector

Doesn't seem like Seaside at all.

Sunken City
+1 Action

I think it's overall fine.  Since it's come up so often in this contest, I just realized that this also has the confusion issue of how long it stays in play when it plays a Duration on the next turn.  I'm pretty sure that it would have to remain in play an extra turn... and possibly even more if each Sunken City keeps on playing another.  Hm.

Tactical Village
+1 Action

As phrased, you would not be able to discard it with Oasis.  Unless otherwise specified, cards that discard (like Oasis) discard from your hand, not cards in play.  Rather, this sounds more like something you could do at any time.

Unfortunately, the effect you get from that doesn't work as intended either.  Even if you remove my Duration from play, it doesn't block the effect.

The timing of the every-turn-village effect is a bit wonky because it starts with "while this is in play" but continues as a one-time setup in the same vein as Hireling and Champion.

The wording can probably be fixed.  On the intended effect... the persistent village is fine, though not super interesting to me when we have Champion, Coin of the Realm and Walled Village doing similar stuff.  The persistence has its charms though.  The Duration-blocking effect doesn't sit well with me though.  It's a strong enough counter that people may be put off from buying Durations at all, removing options.  Otherwise, it's an unblockable attack where you get to choose when it happens, which can make it more political than most attacks.

Treasure Finder

Should be reworded to match the precedence set by Hireling.  I think it's fine, other than probably needing to cost more.  I've considered this concept before and I think it would be fun to play, enabling early-greening strategies.

War Room

Isn't this exactly Throne Room with a Scheme effect?  Not so interesting.  (PPE: I see that it's not quite exact, mainly differing with one-shots.  Still not that different.  Meh.)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 10:12:15 pm »
+1

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

Weird...I think I like it.  I think the extra effect might be weak, just because spending say $4 on a card just to play it once seems like a bad deal.  But there are definitely cases where you can make big things happen with it, and oh man Fortress is a thing.

So here's a bizarre question.  If I buy an Estate with this, which is Inherited as card X, and then buy Inheritance to move Estate token to card Y, when I play Estate next turn, I play it as card Y right?  I don't know why that wouldn't be the case, but it just seems weird.  I guess that situation can already happen with Summon.

When you buy the Estate, you haven't yet gained it.  Therefore it is not an Action card, therefore Pioneer would not set it aside.  Likewise, you cannot use Summon to gain an Estate.

Even if you could do this with Estate, you can't change its Inheritance because the Event is only once per game.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 10:25:55 pm »
+1

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

When you buy the Estate, you haven't yet gained it.  Therefore it is not an Action card, therefore Pioneer would not set it aside.  Likewise, you cannot use Summon to gain an Estate.

Even if you could do this with Estate, you can't change its Inheritance because the Event is only once per game.

In both the wiki page and the instruction booklet:
"This also changes Estates you buy or otherwise gain during the game; if you used Inheritance on a Port and then later bought an Estate, that Estate would come with a Port, just as buying a Port gains you a Port."

In other words, on-buy effects do count, and therefore, Pioneer would set it aside.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 10:41:20 pm »

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

"This also changes Estates you buy or otherwise gain during the game; if you used Inheritance on a Port and then later bought an Estate, that Estate would come with a Port, just as buying a Port gains you a Port."

In other words, on-buy effects do count, and therefore, Pioneer would set it aside.

Hmm, I think this one is debatable since this isn't an on-buy effect of the Estate, but I see the argument.  Still doesn't work for Summon, and the question is still moot because Inheritance is once per game.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 12:09:35 am »

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

Hmm, I think this one is debatable since this isn't an on-buy effect of the Estate, but I see the argument.  Still doesn't work for Summon, and the question is still moot because Inheritance is once per game.

Yeah, those two points are unquestionable; I was only arguing that Pioneer would set aside the Estate.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 07:06:39 am »

Helmsman
+1 Action

Sounds good to me.  It's an interesting searching effect that is different from other stuff in the game.  I would recommend one change -- make it cantrip (and increase the cost if necessary) so that multiple Helsman can better stack.
I like that. As only the first Helmsman you play is useful (assuming that there is no card draw in between a first and a second Helmsman) I think it is safe to say that the card is a bit weak for 3$. But as a cantrip it becomes something like a fixed Spy and probably should also cost 4$.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 12:46:30 pm »
+1

Sunken City
+1 Action

I think it's overall fine.  Since it's come up so often in this contest, I just realized that this also has the confusion issue of how long it stays in play when it plays a Duration on the next turn.  I'm pretty sure that it would have to remain in play an extra turn... and possibly even more if each Sunken City keeps on playing another.  Hm.

Man, you made my heart skip a beat there... I was worried. Luckily, a quick search through the Herald wiki page shows that Sunken City does not stay out if it reveals another one, because there's nothing you need to be reminded of. So, not quite as bad.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 01:12:52 pm »

Sunken City
+1 Action

Man, you made my heart skip a beat there... I was worried. Luckily, a quick search through the Herald wiki page shows that Sunken City does not stay out if it reveals another one, because there's nothing you need to be reminded of. So, not quite as bad.

Well OK then. Does that mean that the various Duration TR variants are OK as well?  I'm actually not sure...

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 10:07:33 pm »

Sunken City
+1 Action

Well OK then. Does that mean that the various Duration TR variants are OK as well?  I'm actually not sure...

If they only play the other card once, they get discarded at cleanup. If the other card is a duration, it will already do a sufficient job at reminding you of its effect, and if it isn't, there's nothing to be reminded of. If they play the card more than one time, the played card on its own is not sufficient, so the TR variant would have to stay out, too, possibly putting all of them you have in play if they are themselves duration cards. If i didn't misread, we don't have such an entry, though.

By the way, some feedback:

Breakwater: I'm not really a fan of the self-synergy, or the power shift depending on presence or absence of other duration cards. Also, why does it give VP?
Captain's Log: I guess my own card is kind of a Duration Throne Room variant, so i'm not going to complain about the idea behind this. I don't really like the distinction between duration and non-durations though, it feels "we couldn't find a better way to do it"-ish.
Cargo: Might be nicer if you don't have to remember it until the buy phase, and also feels a bit weak. Not the worst idea, but it really seems expensive. Then again, it's kind of a "choose your level" Tactician. It might be fine.
Diving Bell: I don't know why there are so many card ideas about "draw from the bottom of your deck". Well, actually i know, i tried myself at one of those a few years ago, and it stunk. This, well, it probably doesn't stink, and whoever did this found a way to actually make the "prepare for next turn" thing work, and that's cool. The one thing i don't like about this is the "while in play" clause. I would have preferred simply drawing from the bottom of your deck with this card only, though i can definitely see why that would keep it from working.
Fisherwoman: It, uh, does too much for me. I mean, i get the parts on their own, but what does this card want me to do? How do i play it? I guess i want this card if there are, uh, action cards i want? It apparently helps me pick up cards, too. I think it would be better as a more simple card.
Harbourmaster: I wasn't a big fan of Caravan Guard's reaction-play, and i still am not, but this one avoids the weirdness of having actions you can't spend. Either way, eHalcyon is right in that the reaction is anti-synergetic. I don't think it has any fundamental flaws, though.
Helm: Yeah, the Duration-TR on Duration problem hurts this one a lot.
Helmsman: Neat.
Pier: This costs as much as Hireling, but its effect is a lot weaker than Hireling's. Hireling does a Lab each turn, this does a cantrip Silver gainer each turn, which i'd cost at, let's say, $3?
Pioneer: So, this is a "Summon" you can do yourself. Nice. The trashing means you won't just always use it, but that's fine. I'd probably make the "when you buy a card this turn" thing part of the on-play effect, though.
Pawn Shop: I mean, Prawn Shop. Ah well, it doesn't seem very exciting, but it's a Duration that gives you an action next turn, which isn't really something we have yet (yes, i'll ignore Tactician for non-stackyness reasons). So i guess it's not too bad, after all.
Prospector: I also don't see the Seaside aspect.
Sunken City: My card, so i'll spare you with claims how awesome it is. I can see how it looks like it could cause tracking problems, but it's not as bad in my experience. I'll admit that, while Durations and Herald/TR variants both add ways how a card can be in play without you playing it from your hand (for its duration effect, by being played by another card), Sunken City adds both variants in one card.
Tactical Village: I guess the idea is to give yourself a free action each turn? I'll admit a perma-Village feels a bit weak for $5. The weirder part is how this can attack itself (and, with the exception of Bridge Troll, only itself). Why does it do that? While i don't have any strong feeling towards it, it seems unpolished.
Treasure Finder: Seems like it would enable me to green a lot without any problem. I agree it should cost $5 (and possibly give +1 Action the first time you play it). Other than that it's simple, but kind of cool.
War Room: Feels a lot like LastFootnote's General. I'll agree it fits Seaside, but i think General does the same thing better. That said, it's still a decently designed card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2016, 10:16:08 pm »

Pawn Shop: I mean, Prawn Shop. Ah well, it doesn't seem very exciting, but it's a Duration that gives you an action next turn, which isn't really something we have yet (yes, i'll ignore Tactician for non-stackyness reasons). So i guess it's not too bad, after all.

Well, Fishing Village. :P

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 04:42:58 am »

Oops... Why did i forget about it? That makes Prawn Shop a lot less interesting.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 07:45:53 am »

Oops... Why did i forget about it? That makes Prawn Shop a lot less interesting.

Also, the action you get is taken by the Herbalist part of the pawn shop if you play it consistently.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2016, 08:42:00 am »

Also, the action you get is taken by the Herbalist part of the pawn shop if you play it consistently.
So, if played consistently, two Prawn Shops combine into Peddler and Lab. Seems too weak for 4$ and too strong for 3$. As already mentioned, it is similar to convolucid's District of whose two copies, if played consistently combines into Lab and City (duration is Double Village and if you combine a Double Village with a Moat you get Village and Lab). That is even weaker.
So this entire concept probably doesn't work at all.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2016, 12:35:33 pm »

So, if played consistently, two Prawn Shops combine into Peddler and Lab. Seems too weak for 4$ and too strong for 3$. As already mentioned, it is similar to convolucid's District of whose two copies, if played consistently combines into Lab and City (duration is Double Village and if you combine a Double Village with a Moat you get Village and Lab). That is even weaker.
So this entire concept probably doesn't work at all.

If played consistently, two Prawn Shops combine into Market, not Peddler+Lab.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2016, 04:38:12 pm »

I really like Prawn Shop. The name is amazing, and there are plenty of things that you can do with it. I don't think it's purpose is to be a Village/your only village, I think it's supposed to provide +buy and be similar to Caravan and Haven and such.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2016, 07:10:09 pm »

I really like Prawn Shop. The name is amazing, and there are plenty of things that you can do with it. I don't think it's purpose is to be a Village/your only village, I think it's supposed to provide +buy and be similar to Caravan and Haven and such.

It's a lost city on your next turn. That's a mighty strong card for a mere $3, I think. It's weaker than caravan on 'this' turn (a terminal copper + buy), but it's a lost city in the next. I think that's pretty much a village right there. A really strong one.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2016, 07:11:23 pm »

It's a lost city on your next turn. That's a mighty strong card for a mere $3, I think. It's weaker than caravan on 'this' turn (a terminal copper + buy), but it's a lost city in the next. I think that's pretty much a village right there. A really strong one.
But it's not a Village because you have to play another Prawn Shop, so you end up with one action.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2016, 07:16:29 pm »
+1

But it's not a Village because you have to play another Prawn Shop, so you end up with one action.

I play Prawn shop now, to prawn shops in my next turn and 3 the turn after that? It's a very slow village, but it's a village.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2016, 07:24:24 pm »

It is an awkward market.
Or a card that takes actions from this turn to the next. And cards.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2016, 07:11:35 am »

Prawn Shop costs 4$. And as I pointed out, if you have enough such that they match they combo into Lab and Market (thanks to eHalycon for correcting me on this). Caravan does not have to combo into anything and is alway a (delayed) Lab. Now of course this gets complicated if there is another Village on the board but overall the card is still weaker than Caravan.
If you reverse the effects such that it becomes a duration Market the card will probably be of similar strength but easier to play. At least I'd rather have a safe duration Market than potential duration half-Lab, half-Market once I got plenty of them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:14:55 am by tristan »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2016, 07:20:27 am »

I play Prawn shop now, to prawn shops in my next turn and 3 the turn after that? It's a very slow village, but it's a village.
You could do it that way, couldn't you?

Now I like Prawn Shop even more!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2016, 10:24:15 am »
+2

You could do it that way, couldn't you?

Now I like Prawn Shop even more!

I like spending my actions on terminal Coppers as much as the next guy, but if you confuse a card that delegates excess actions to later turns (and chokes you in terminals if you whiff once) with a Village, you are going to have a bad time. Prawn Shop gives you back the action it took, but not immediately. Sometimes this will mean you have extra actions, true. But if you spend those on Prawn Shops they basically are cantrips (which is still nice). And, again, the circle breaks as soon as you fail to play as many PS as you have excess actions, or use one of your "Village" actions to play an actual terminal.

All that's not to say i dislike Prawn Shop (think the name is silly, though). I just think you are misjudging its applications.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2016, 10:33:56 am »
+2

(think the name is silly, though).
That's why I voted for the card!

But I may be misjudging it, and that's fine. If it wins more people will playtest it and we can see how it really performs.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2016, 01:06:36 pm »
+2

Prawn Shop costs 4$. And as I pointed out, if you have enough such that they match they combo into Lab and Market (thanks to eHalycon for correcting me on this). Caravan does not have to combo into anything and is alway a (delayed) Lab. Now of course this gets complicated if there is another Village on the board but overall the card is still weaker than Caravan.
If you reverse the effects such that it becomes a duration Market the card will probably be of similar strength but easier to play. At least I'd rather have a safe duration Market than potential duration half-Lab, half-Market once I got plenty of them.

No, not Lab+Market.  Just Market.  Of course, you don't have to use it to play a second Prawn Shop!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2016, 07:20:24 pm »
+1

No, not Lab+Market.  Just Market.  Of course, you don't have to use it to play a second Prawn Shop!

It's not really accurate to say that two Prawn Shops are a Market, though. It's more that, if you play Prawn Shop every turn, each becomes a Market. Which is okay, power wise - although i'm not sure having a $3 that equals a (relatively weak) $5 only if you play it each turn is that compelling. I mean, it looks kind of shabby compared to Oasis, especially considering you'll need your Prawn Shop buys for Prawn Shops if you want to pull this off.

I guess it has some other applications, too, like unstable decks where you actually have no better use for the action sometimes, and sometimes really need the spare action you had the turn before. It's kind of like a mini-Tactician in a way: Bad turn now, better turn later. The problem's just that both cost and reward are lower than Tactician, so i'm not sure that works as well. It also costs a lot less than Tactician, though. In all honesty, i find the "gives actions only if you have actions" part a bit weird, though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2016, 07:32:34 pm »

It's not really accurate to say that two Prawn Shops are a Market, though. It's more that, if you play Prawn Shop every turn, each becomes a Market. Which is okay, power wise - although i'm not sure having a $3 that equals a (relatively weak) $5 only if you play it each turn is that compelling. I mean, it looks kind of shabby compared to Oasis, especially considering you'll need your Prawn Shop buys for Prawn Shops if you want to pull this off.

I guess it has some other applications, too, like unstable decks where you actually have no better use for the action sometimes, and sometimes really need the spare action you had the turn before. It's kind of like a mini-Tactician in a way: Bad turn now, better turn later. The problem's just that both cost and reward are lower than Tactician, so i'm not sure that works as well. It also costs a lot less than Tactician, though. In all honesty, i find the "gives actions only if you have actions" part a bit weird, though.

Ah, right, I guess "2 Markets" is more accurate.  But it's one Market each turn, with one Prawn Shop played each turn.

FWIW, I think Prawn Shop is alright but not nearly as interesting as some other entries.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2016, 05:48:10 pm »

A simple fix is to switch the effects such that it becomes an ordinary duration Market. Not super-exciting and probably a bit weak for 4$ (I use a cost of 3$ with "When you gain this, take your -1 Coin token" for a duration Market).
This is why I am pretty sure that Prawn Shop is weak for 4$.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2016, 08:23:08 pm »

Preliminary Results:

Helmsman - 12
Pioneer - 12
Harbourmaster - 11
Prawn Shop - 11
Sunken City - 11

Diving Bell - 9
Fisherwoman - 8
Treasure Finder - 6
War Room - 6
Cargo - 5
Helm - 4
Pier - 4
Captain's Log - 3
Breakwater - 2
Prospector - 2
Tactical Village - 2

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2016, 08:25:27 pm »

Harbourmaster
+2 Cards

Helmsman
+1 Action

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

Sunken City
+1 Action

Submit your votes to me via this forum's messaging system. To vote, give each card a score from 0 to 10. (It is recommended, but not required, that you give at least one card a 0 and at least one card a 10, to maximize your voting input.) The winner will be the card with the highest sum. Feel free to discuss the cards (but not your scores) in this thread.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 5: Seaside (Finalists!)
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2016, 07:49:11 am »
+1

Helmsman is to much like sage for my liking. Not strictly better, but too similar.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:03:28 am by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2016, 04:10:55 pm »

I feel like the duration of harbourmaster is too strong for $3, partial mulligans are insanely powerful. Though, I can see the justification, because that also has diminishing returns.

Prawn shop is just both hilarious, and actually a decently fun looking card. Imagine chaining these every turn.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2016, 04:47:51 pm »

I'm not convinced Prawn Shop is actually going to be fun. Chaining them to get Markets is pretty lame. I mean, come on, Market. What's exciting about Market? Plus, i think it's not that easy to pull it off. The other applications, like using it as some sort of Mini-Tactician, might be better, but i think the effect is too small to get much from that. I admit it's hard to evaluate without trying it, though, so i'd gladly hear opinions of folks who tried it, and possibly change mine.

Helmsman reminds me of Sage, Scavenger and Lookout, and seems nice. I guess the cost thing means you can only vaguely determine which card you get, unless of course you go for a single-card-strategy. Not sure it's good enough for its cost.

Diving Bell was another one i found interesting. I didn't vote for it because of the "while in play" thing, though.

Harbourmaster and Pioneer are decent, i guess, but i'm not really interested in them.

Sunken City is mine, and i'd love to win a contest for once, but the tracking thing pulls it down.

Ugh, i'm negative today.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2016, 04:56:54 pm »

Sunken City just seems really overpowered. It compares favorably to Herald and they chain very nicely.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2016, 05:14:31 pm »

Sunken City just seems really overpowered. It compares favorably to Herald and they chain very nicely.

There are two things i can say to answer your concern:

First: It's true that Sunken City seems relatively powerful if it hits. It's also really bad if it doesn't hit. Herald is never worse than a cantrip, Sunken City can be Ruined Village. Just, you don't know that before the fact. It's unreliable, and getting many Sunken Cities too early actively harms you. It only pays off once your deck reaches a certain state, which might not even be possible in some games.

Second, compare Caravan, which is a cantrip now and a Lab next turn. Caravan costs $4, just one less than Lab, and Lab is a strong $5. Sunken City is something about as good as a cantrip now, and a Herald next turn. It costs $2 less, but Herald is weak, has an overpay effect, and the gap between $2 and $4 is actually smaller than the gap between $4 and $5.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:15:43 pm by Asper »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2016, 06:52:46 pm »

If it hits twice it is a double-duration Village which is probably worth around 4$. If it hits once it is worth 3$ or less (if it happens in the second turn). If it doesn't hit it is dead.
Doesn't seem overpowered to me. Sure, it is better than Herald for its price but Herald is fairly weak.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2016, 08:08:46 am »
+1

I find Sunken City quite decently balanced for its cost. It only becomes good when it's later in the game when you usually don't want to pick up $2's. So it does take quite a bit to make the card strong, which is good for such a cheap card. I can see it working and I don't quite see the trackin issue? It seems straightforward to me.

In general, I find that some nice ideas were passed over for cards that I don't see working at all. Can anybody explain Helmsman to me? I think the way it is right now, it competes with Scout for worst card. I mean reducing your handsize to topdeck a card from a specific cost barely ever seems worth it. Maybe in possession slogs where your deck does nothing and you can topdeck a possession for next turn but beyond that I don't see any use for it.

Also Prawn Shop is really, really weird. Pioneer is really cool, though.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2016, 10:42:08 am »

Also Prawn Shop is really, really weird.
Is weird a synonym for bad though?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2016, 11:44:26 am »

If anyone wants to look at this for a second:

Tactical Village
Types: Action – Attack - Duration
+1 Action
As long as this in play: At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +1 Action.
---------------------
You may discard Tactical Village from play during your turn. If you do: cancel one duration effect from all other players. Discard the duration card with it.

I know that many of you voiced concerns about 'not buying durations' when tactical village is in play, but let me stress that this does not seem to be the case, for (I think) a big reason.

Sacrificing a tactical village is still a big downside for you. If you buy tactical village, you want to use the additional actions. If you buy tactical village just to attack others, you are spending 5 on something that, then, ultimately is easy available. All games I have played with TV end up with people sometimes sacrificing their own TV to hurt others, and sometimes not. So people buy TV to use, not to hurt. The 'hurting' is an additional something it can do, to give something extra to the card, without just being an endless village.

In a game with both wharf and TV, I had many TV, but I ultimately overspend on TV, because I had too little wharfs. Even if I tried to hurt the other Wharf's, it was still a pain in the ass to try to hurt the others.

True, you might be more likely to discard TV when you are near your shuffle than if you just shuffled, but you are still actively hurting yourself.

One nerf I'd be ok with, is to make it that you don't immediately get a +1 Action on the turn you play, increasing the cost incured if you discard if yourself.

But the fear that people will stop duration cards... empirically, it hasn't been the case so far.

I think people slightly overestimate the usage of this effect. :)

But that's just my two cents. I also rephrased the wording: I think this should be better.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2016, 11:54:40 am »

Harbourmaster: I find the card a bit too weird, but because it's just so weird and interesting, it gets a >5 score from me. Sunken City is just a good village, with some randomness. >5 score as well. Prawn Shop is also weird, and I like weird in this case, so I also gave it >5.

Pioneer; I am just not a fan of. I just don't know what to do with it, except in the case of forretress. Maybe buy stuff like pearl diver and pawn with it? Buying something expensive with it seems risky.

Here would be my small contribution to Pioneer.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
-------
In games using this, add XXX to the supply.
XXX
+$1
Draw until you have 6 cards.

So you always have a reasonable, but not super, target to buy with Pioneer.

Helsman is interesting, but I would either add a village effect (+2 Actions) and make it $4 *or* make it a cantrip (so they stack better) and probably also make it cost $4. Now it's just a bit... meh.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2016, 12:07:57 pm »

No it isn't. But unfortunately I don't see any redeeming qualities of the card, yet.

@AdrianHealey:

I liked TV, I was one of the few who voted for it. I think the main problem is as someone (I think Gendokari?) pointed out that duration effects don't get cancelled by discarding the card, so it would need further rules qualifications.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2016, 12:11:06 pm »

No it isn't. But unfortunately I don't see any redeeming qualities of the card, yet.

@AdrianHealey:

I liked TV, I was one of the few who voted for it. I think the main problem is as someone (I think Gendokari?) pointed out that duration effects don't get cancelled by discarding the card, so it would need further rules qualifications.

Thanks! Question: did you voted for it, taking into account my intend (discarding the ffect) or the current phrasing of the card ('merely' discarding the card)? I didn't vote for my own card, so there is at least one other person who voted for it. :p

I've added a version above that should, I think, clear it up. It is true I had no idea that the duration effects don't get cancelled by the card, so I changed the formulation too:

Tactical Village
+1 Action
As long as this in play: At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +1 Action.
---------------------
You may discard Tactical Village from play during your turn. If you do: cancel one duration effect from all other players. Discard the duration card with it.

Thanks for liking it!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2016, 12:19:55 pm »

No. Neither is "overpowered" nor "swingy". People may like or dislike such cards, and vote accordingly. I personally agree that Prawn Shop's "delayed cantrip" is something interesting, but i also suspect it to be weak, luck-based, and overall unrewarding.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2016, 12:25:32 pm »

No. Neither is "overpowered" nor "swingy". People may like or dislike such cards, and vote accordingly. I personally agree that Prawn Shop's "delayed cantrip" is something interesting, but i also suspect it to be weak, luck-based, and overall unrewarding.

But it's really not a delayed cantrip, right?

If at the start of my next turn, I get a +1 Action and +1 Card, I know have:
6 Cards
2 Actions

which is basically a 'delayed lost city', which is pretty strong. Admittedly, you exchange it for a terminal copper + buy, which is then bad. But that's offsetted by the card's cost of $4.

The duration effect is stronger than Caravan, but you sacrifice more in *this* turn. It might be better to either make it non-terminal in this turn, or reducing the price even further to $3. Maybe.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2016, 02:11:15 pm »

6 Cards
2 Actions

which is basically a 'delayed lost city', which is pretty strong. Admittedly, you exchange it for a terminal copper + buy, which is then bad. But that's offsetted by the card's cost of $4.

The duration effect is stronger than Caravan, but you sacrifice more in *this* turn. It might be better to either make it non-terminal in this turn, or reducing the price even further to $3. Maybe.

Wait, i always thought it costed §3. Not even being able to open with two of these seems even worse.

I wrote "delayed cantrip" because that's what it does on paper. I already pointed out before that you can consider Prawn Shop a kind of mini-Tactician in that if gives you a better next turn at the cost of harming this one, and remarked that the small scale hurts its application as such. The other idea that has been thrown around was to play several of these every turn, where "cantrip" becomes more appropriate. It has some flexibility, but also lacks stability.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2016, 02:43:35 pm »
+1

6 Cards
2 Actions

Wait, i always thought it costed §3. Not even being able to open with two of these seems even worse.

I wrote "delayed cantrip" because that's what it does on paper. I already pointed out before that you can consider Prawn Shop a kind of mini-Tactician in that if gives you a better next turn at the cost of harming this one, and remarked that the small scale hurts its application as such. The other idea that has been thrown around was to play several of these every turn, where "cantrip" becomes more appropriate. It has some flexibility, but also lacks stability.

I usually use the term 'cantrip' for 'you end up with the same amount of cards and the same amount of actions' + some effect. But that's clearly not what's happening here.

A $3 delayed lost city would seem reasonably priced, I think. At 4 it gets a little dicey, but I am not so sure (as you seem to be, I think) that this is a bad card, though. Weird, yes.

As a terminal, it's not a bard card when it's surrounded by a bunch of real can trips. Even in a deck full of good terminals, it still seems like a reasonable card to pick up, to make sure you can add power to your next hand.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2016, 04:25:07 pm »
+1

I think I like Pioneer best.  I'll probably give some support to Harbourmaster too.

Pioneer is a really unique new idea that surprisingly doesn't seem to have any issues with rules or anything like that.  My only concern is that you won't want to use its special thing very often.  It might be more appealing with something like +$1 or +$2 in the "if you do" part.  It sort of becomes a Bridge effect which might get crazy on a terminal drawer.  It's probably interesting enough as it is though.  If nothing else, you can use the special ability to set yourself up to explode on your last turn.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2016, 06:08:34 pm »

@AdrianHealey:

Thanks! Question: did you voted for it, taking into account my intend (discarding the ffect) or the current phrasing of the card ('merely' discarding the card)? I didn't vote for my own card, so there is at least one other person who voted for it. :p

I've added a version above that should, I think, clear it up. It is true I had no idea that the duration effects don't get cancelled by the card, so I changed the formulation too:

Tactical Village
+1 Action
---------------------

Thanks for liking it!

Yeah, I thought the original card already did this, I only learned the mechanics about the Duration cards working that way  after voting. I think your current wording would work, but I'm still not an expert on the matter :)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2016, 07:38:45 pm »
+1

Helmsman is my favourite of the bunch.  I see the comparison to Sage, but I think it would play very differently even if +1 card is added to it (which I think would be a nice change).  I think it adds a lot of potential for skilled play.

I'm surprised at the amount of concern over Prawn Shop.  Overall it seems fine to me.  I don't think it is obviously too powerful or too weak, but if it does lean one way or the other then cost seems like a totally fine lever to adjust here.  My concern is just that it might be a bit boring.

My entry was Diving Bell.  I also submitted the draw-from-bottom card in the other contest.  I tried it twice, probably won't try it again.  I've posted this general concept.  I think the best implementation is this one here, because the hope is that players use it to set up their next turn and the non-terminal draw has the best chance of making that happen.

@Asper, I'm wondering why you're so against the while-in-play clause.  I like it because it's something simple, new and unique that has some really interesting implications.  I particularly like what it does to Pearl Diver,  Wishing Well and Ironmonger.  You said you've tried something like it before; did you find problems with it in testing?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2016, 07:50:02 pm »

@AdrianHealey:

Tactical Village
+1 Action
---------------------

Thanks for liking it!

Yeah, I thought the original card already did this, I only learned the mechanics about the Duration cards working that way  after voting. I think your current wording would work, but I'm still not an expert on the matter :)

Thanks for the vote anyway!

Tactical Village
+1 Action
---------------------

This looks like it should work. I'll use this way of framing it in the future. ^^

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2016, 07:55:03 pm »
+1

@Asper, I'm wondering why you're so against the while-in-play clause.  I like it because it's something simple, new and unique that has some really interesting implications.  I particularly like what it does to Pearl Diver,  Wishing Well and Ironmonger.  You said you've tried something like it before; did you find problems with it in testing?

I tried a card that uses the bottom of your deck to store stuff for later. Diving Bell instead uses the top of your deck to store stuff for later, by making you draw from the bottom instead. There isn't that big of a similarity other than that. As i said, your idea works much better, and the reason i dislike the "while in play" thing is mostly that it alters how another card plays. Considerations like "Which card takes precedence now?" aside, it feels a bit unelegant. I don't know about any better way to do it, though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2016, 08:19:50 pm »

I tried a card that uses the bottom of your deck to store stuff for later. Diving Bell instead uses the top of your deck to store stuff for later, by making you draw from the bottom instead. There isn't that big of a similarity other than that. As i said, your idea works much better, and the reason i dislike the "while in play" thing is mostly that it alters how another card plays. Considerations like "Which card takes precedence now?" aside, it feels a bit unelegant. I don't know about any better way to do it, though.

What cards do you feel are problematic?  I don't think it's any harder to figure out than Trader replacing gains, even though Trader is optional and this is mandatory.  This just replaces draw with draw-from-bottom.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2016, 08:48:44 pm »
+1

What cards do you feel are problematic?  I don't think it's any harder to figure out than Trader replacing gains, even though Trader is optional and this is mandatory.  This just replaces draw with draw-from-bottom.

Catacombs would be funny.

Look at the top 3. If you don't take those, draw 3 from the bottom. :p

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2016, 09:12:42 pm »
+1

I didn't think they were problematic, just not pretty. And Trader is already causing us Blue Dogs. In general it does the same weirdness the -1 Card token does, like ignoring Farming Village. Which is okay if there's no other way or the concept is just too good to not do it because of this, but it's still a negative thing. Thinking of which, can i lose my -1 Card token and still draw from the bottom of my deck? As far as i know not. But i can choose.

Another thing is that the card tells me to draw cards. It's already in play, so i guess i should draw from the bottom... But, why does it stand below there, i already drew these 2, what to do now? The timing is obvious to experienced fan card analyzers like us, but it's confusing when compared to official cards. A similar issue is why i made my "Minister" (which gains according to cost and reduces cost) not "while in play". Of course, using a "this turn" wording isn't really a better option for Diving Bell.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2016, 10:22:42 pm »

Discussion on Diving Bell continued here.  Discussion here should probably stick to the cards still in the running. :)

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2016, 03:47:52 pm »

Results:

Prawn Shop (mith) - 83
Sunken City (Asper) - 61
Harbourmaster (King Leon) - 60
Pioneer (LibraryAdventurer) - 56
Helmsman (RobertJ) - 27

The next contest will be delayed for about a month... busy busy!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2016, 04:21:45 pm »

Yes! Prawn Shop won!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2016, 09:44:55 pm »

ugh, Prawn shop won?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2016, 10:35:10 pm »

ugh, Prawn shop won?

Well, I went all in on Helmsman. :P

Congrats mith!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 22 queries.