Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 5: Seaside (Results!)  (Read 38925 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 5: Seaside (Results!)
« on: February 23, 2016, 02:47:59 pm »
+2

Results!
View Finalists
View Cards Submitted

This is the fifth contest for this year's set. This week's challenge: Design a card which would fit well in the Seaside expansion!

Submission Rules

• Each participant may submit one card per challenge.
• Participation in previous or future challenges is not required to participate in this one.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system. Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• The name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

Except where specified, you may not submit cards combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside or Adventures slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.
• Traveller cards, Reserve cards, and cards making use of player Tokens may only be submitted as candidates for an Adventures slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

Challenge #5: Seaside

Design a Kingdom card that would fit into the Seaside expansion. Such a card could have one or more of the following qualities:

• Does something on a future turn (Duration cards are included here).
• Interacts with the top of your deck or the tops of your opponent's decks.
• Interacts in some other way with future or past turns (e.g. Embargo or Smugglers).

The winner from 2014 is:

Quote from: yuma
Recycle

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card, setting it aside face down. At the start of your next turn, return the gained card to your hand and trash a card from your hand, gaining a card costing up to $1 more than that trashed card.

$5      Action – Duration

Keep in mind that voters may want something that fills a different niche this time around.

Submissions are due by the end of Wednesday, 2016-03-02.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:50:29 am by mith »

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 5: Seaside
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 02:49:17 pm »

The runner-up from 2014 will automatically be included in the preliminary voting. The author of this card is allowed to submit a new card as well. (As is yuma, designer of the winning card.)

Observatory
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Look at one card from your deck per $ in its cost. You may put one of them into your hand and discard any number of the others. Put the rest back in any order.

Other cards from 2014 may be resubmitted as is, tweaked, or discarded in favor of a new concept.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 03:22:06 pm »

So if the plan is still to fill out a set, I think submissions for the next contest should hold until voting for the previous contest ends, even if they are for different expansions.  The slower pace would be more accommodating to your schedule too.  There could be some overlap, but right now we have voting  in one contest before voting on the previous contest is even complete.  That's not enough time to consider what the set as a whole needs, or what card mechanisms might be interesting together.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:31 pm »
+1

I don't know that I would say the plan is to fill a set that would stand on its own as an expansion - the intent of the treasure chest idea (vs. the mini-set contest) is to pick a couple cards which could be mixed in with each existing expansion.

We may, closer to the end, slow down and/or have a couple slots focused on filling gaps in the treasure chest, but right now the different contests should be mostly independent from each other (unless they are from the same set - thus the note about the 2014 winner, and delaying the Event contest until the Adventures voting was complete).

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:24:14 pm »

The runner-up from 2014 will automatically be included in the preliminary voting. The author of this card is allowed to submit a new card as well. (As is yuma, designer of the winning card.)

Observatory
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Look at one card from your deck per $ in its cost. You may put one of them into your hand and discard any number of the others. Put the rest back in any order.

Other cards from 2014 may be resubmitted as is, tweaked, or discarded in favor of a new concept.

Isn't Observatory a Raze that can't trash itself?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 05:55:38 pm »
+1

Observatory

Yes, pretty much, but the earlier contest that this was entered in took place a while before adventures came out. So the author of this card had the honor of thinking up an official card before Donald did.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:32:02 am »
+1

Observatory

Yes, pretty much, but the earlier contest that this was entered in took place a while before adventures came out. So the author of this card had the honor of thinking up an official card before Donald did.

That's actually really awesome how close it is.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 11:41:38 am »

Yeah, I don't actually think Observatory has a chance for that reason, but including it to be consistent.

(I guess a vote for Observatory would be a vote against everything else...)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 08:10:33 pm »

I've enjoyed participating in these contests, but unfortunately have mostly only been able to throw old cards into it. I'm rusty as hell, gotta admit.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:57:02 pm »

Deadline postponed until next week (after Intrigue voting is concluded).

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 11:07:59 am »

Deadline: Friday, March 11.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 11:43:29 pm »
+2

You don't have to include Observatory. It's close enough to Raze that I wouldn't even want it in the set if it won. I think it's a cool thought to include the runnerups, though.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 04:18:19 pm »
+1

Breakwater
Types: Action – Victory – Duration
Cost: $4
+1 Action
+$1

At the start of your next turn:
+$1
Gain a Duration card.

Worth 1VP

Captain's Log
Types: Action – Duration
You may choose an Action card from your hand. If you do, play it. If it is a Duration card, play it again. Otherwise, set it aside.

At the start of your next turn, if you set a card aside with this, play the set aside card.

Cargo
Cost: $5
Set aside any number of cards from your hand. At the start of your next turn's buy phase, play the set-aside Treasure cards and discard the rest.

Diving Bell
Cost: $3
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
+2 Cards
+1 Action

While this is in play, when you would draw from the top of your deck, draw from the bottom instead.

Fisherwoman
Reveal the top card of your deck.
If the revealed card is an action set this card aside and play the revealed card. If the revealed card is not an action discard it and gain an action card worth up to $5.

If you set this aside, at the start of your next turn; gain and play an action card worth up to $4.

Harbourmaster
Types: Action – Duration – Reaction
+2 Cards

Discard any number of cards.
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

When another player buys a Victory card, you may play this card from your hand.

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.
Choose an Action card from your hand. Play it now and at the start of your next turn.

Note to artist: Helm as in ship's wheel, not helm as in helmet.

Helmsman
+1 Action
Name a cost. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one costing exactly the named amount. Put that card on top of your deck and discard the rest.

Pier
Cost: $6
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: Gain a Silver.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

On the turn you play this, when you buy an Action card, you may set it aside. If you do, play it at the start of your next turn, then trash it.

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

Prospector
Trash a card from your hand.
Choose one: +$2; or draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Sunken City
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Action card, play it. Otherwise, discard it.

Tactical Village
+1 Action
As long as this in play: At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +1 Action

You may discard Tactical Village from play during your turn. If you do: discard one duration card from every other player.

Clarification: I hope the way I phrased it, that it's also possible to discard Tactical village for example with Oasis. But it not, that's fine too.

Treasure Finder
At the start of each of your turns, look at the top three cards of your deck. You may discard as many as you like. Put the rest back on top of your deck in any order.

War Room
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Play it twice.
Once during this turn, when one of your Action cards would leave play, you may put it on top of your deck.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:31:35 pm by mith »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 04:38:35 pm »

Breakwater
Cost: 4
+1 Action
+$1
At the start of your next turn, +$1, gain a duration card.

Worth 1VP

That's one cheap and easy way to gain a duration card. I mean, I like the card,  but it seems very cheap at $4. At $5, or even $6, that would be better, I think.

Captain's Log
You may choose an Action card from your hand. If you do, play it. If it is a Duration card, play it again. Otherwise, set it aside.

At the start of your next turn, if you set a card aside with this, play the set aside card.

Not sure what happens with the duration card? I also think this is ridiculously much better than throne room, no? What am I missing?

Cargo
Cost: 5
Set aside any number of cards from your hand. At the start of your next turn's buy phase, play the set-aside Treasure cards and discard the rest.

I like it. I think this one might be a bit expensive, though. But I like it.

Diving Bell
Cost: 3
+2 Cards
+1 Action

While this is in play, when you would draw from the top of your deck, draw from the bottom instead.

Interesting. Also goes together well with pearl diver.

Fisherwoman
If the revealed card is an action set this card aside and play the revealed card. If the revealed card is not an action discard it and gain an action card worth up to $5.

If you set this aside, at the start of your next turn; gain and play an action card worth up to $4.

So you always gain? Cool card.

Harbourmaster
+2 Cards

O, definitely like this one. It's kind of a guide, but different.

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.
Choose an Action card from your hand. Play it now and at the start of your next turn.

A little bit of everything, but nothing overwhelms me. Nothing wrong, just not very inspiring.

Helmsman
+1 Action
Name a cost. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one costing exactly the named amount. Put that card on top of your deck and discard the rest.

This could even be +2 Actions in my mind. Like the concept.

Pier
Cost: 6

Holy shit. That's potentially a lot of silvers. I'd like it more if it was gained to your hand.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

On the turn you play this, when you buy an Action card, you may set it aside. If you do, play it at the start of your next turn, then trash it.

Haha, I have heard about this card before. I still don't like it: it sounds expensive to buy an action card and only use it once (except if it's... you know which one. ;))

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

So it's like a lost city in your next turn? Not bad.

Prospector

Cool.

Sunken City
Cost: 2
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Action card, play it. Otherwise, discard it.

I have this one printed as a possible card to use in a game. I like the concept.

Tactical Village
+1 Action
As long as this in play: At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +1 Action

You may discard Tactical Village from play during your turn. If you do: discard one duration card from every other player.

Clarification: I hope the way I phrased it, that it's also possible to discard Tactical village for example with Oasis. But it not, that's fine too.

Maybe a bit cheap, but an attacking duration card is quite cool.

Treasure Finder
At the start of each of your turns, look at the top three cards of your deck. You may discard as many as you like. Put the rest back on top of your deck in any order.

Like it.

War Room
Cost: 6
Once during this turn, when one of your Action cards would leave play, you may put it on top of your deck.

Pretty strong throne room, but why not?

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »

Captain's Log

Not sure what happens with the duration card? I also think this is ridiculously much better than throne room, no? What am I missing?

Actually, this is a much WEAKER Throne Room. It Thrones Duration cards, but Durationizes non-Duration cards, and there was an outtake that always Durationized, but it was discarded for being too weak. Therefore, Durationizing is worse than Throning, and therefore, this is nearly strictly worse than Throne Room for the same cost. Only reason I didn't vote for it.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 07:21:55 pm »
+1

Breakwater
+1 Action
+$1

+$1
Gain a Duration card.

Worth 1VP

Seems quite cheap for a non-terminal, no-cost-limit Duration gainer, don't you think? I think $6 would be good for this one.

Captain's Log

See my previous post.

Cargo

I think that most of the time, I'd rather play the Treasure cards now.

Diving Bell
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Now this is an interesting card. +1 Action should actually be first on the card, since order doesn't matter when it comes to +Actions since you have to finish resolving to use them anyway, but that's the only flaw I see. It also has sweet synergy with Pearl Diver, which is something that card desperately needs.

Fisherwoman

Another very interesting card. It reminds me of a weird mix between Herald and Band of Misfits. Of course, it isn't strictly better than BoM because that the gaining and playing an Action happens next turn, not this one. I'm definitely voting for this one.

Harbourmaster
+2 Cards

Seems kind of bleah. It's current turn effect is Moat and its Duration effect is Cellar, and its Reaction is similar to Caravan Guard's. It's bad when a card seems like you just threw a bunch of random, completely-unrelated cards together.

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.

"Play an Action now and at the start of your next turn" is an idea that everybody and their dog has tried by now. I'm kind of tired of it. The only good version I've seen is Royal Heirloom by LibraryAdventurer.

Helmsman
+1 Action

Pretty sweet. It seems like a mix between Wishing Well and Sage. Now, I know I said that throwing together a bunch of existing cards to make a new one is bad earlier, but that's only if it seems random and poorly thought out. This is anything but. Great job, whoever made this one! This one is my favorite of all of these cards.

Pier

EDIT: Oops, I accidentally skipped this one. Why would I want to gain a Silver every turn, with the exception of Feodum? Silver starts harming your deck eventually, at least in Colony+Platinum games, which makes up nearly all of the games that I play.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

I think I know who made this, but I'll keep my mouth (fingers?) shut. I liked it then, and I still like it now, so I am voting for it.

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

Is this card's name a pun on Pawn Shop? It seems too similar to Caravan for my tastes.

Prospector

This seems like you pulled three random effects out of a hat and made a card with those effects. Along with the cost, since this has the power of a $3-coster, maybe a $4-coster, but certainly not a $5-coster.

Sunken City
+1 Action

I also know who made this one, and like I said for Pioneer, I don't think I'll ever stop liking it, unless I playtest it and it turns out to absolutely suck.

Tactical Village
+1 Action

Too confusing if you discard somebody's Duration other than Tactical Village; other Durations' duration effects aren't contingent on that Duration staying in play, so tracking would be a nightmare.

Treasure Finder

For the rest of the game? You DO know that that means you can pretty nearly filter out any and all Coppers, Victory cards, Ruins, and, if you don't have any Trashers, Curses, right? Forget Chapel, this is about as strong as if you PRINCED a Chapel! Even better, in fact, since you can ignore Victories without having to trash them! Sorry, but this is just horrendously OP.

War Room

This is not quite a mix between Scheme and TR, because this can topdeck one-shots like Madman (although, because of the "would leave play, using its topdeck ability on Madman would prevent it from doubling your handsize since you didn't return it), and even Processioned cards! Pretty strong, and definitely worth $6.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:57:19 pm by Gubump »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 5: Seaside (Voting!)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 08:41:46 pm »

Tactical Village was awesome until the second half.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 08:59:50 pm »

my initial reactions:

Breakwater:  seems like a random collection of effects, and it could be crazy strong with other duration cards.

Captains log: I disagree with Gubump on this one. I think it's strong for its cost and could possibly even cost $5. otherwise seems good.

Cargo: Similar to another card I use (Lockbox, from the old Seaside contest). I like it, but I think it's overpriced.

Diving Bell: I like it.

Fisherwoman: Seems a little overcomplicated and very strong. Might not be bad, but I don't think I'll vote for it.

Harbourmaster: I like the idea, but if you play use the reaction, the on-play antisynergizes with the next turn effect. I'd like it better if it was actually a cellar effect (draw as many as you discarded). Then it wouldn't antisynergize with itself. Probably should cost $4. A cellar effect that doesn't reduce your handsize is significantly better than an actual cellar.

Helm: I agree with Gubump :)

Helmsman: Would be better if it put the card in your hand. Could probably cost $2 as-is. Doesn't excite me either way.

Pier: Why would anyone want to gain a silver every turn for the rest of the game? (unless they're playing Feodum of course.)

Pioneer: I like it. The duration effect is stronger than it looks because it gives a virtual +1card, +1action on your next turn.

Prawn Shop: doesn't interest me.

Prospector: I like it, but I agree it doesn't look strong enough for $5.

Sunken City: I (still) like it.

Tactical Village: not a fan. I generally don't like un-moatable attacks, among other things.

Treasure Finder: I don't like this effect on an unending duration.

War Room: very similar to LF's General. otherwise it seems good.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:55:56 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:35 pm »

The name 'Prawn Shop' is really appealing to me. But it's the exact same as a BGG card called 'Hedge Wizard,' but Hedge Wizard has a victory point tacked on.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 12:46:19 am »
+2

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.
While "Play an Action now and at the start of your next turn" is certainly worse than Throne Room, Helm is masquerading as such a weak card while also being attached to that "Laboratory + discard 1 card" that is too strong to cost $4.

Sunken City
+1 Action
I've played with this card. It is swingy early and annoyingly difficult to track when they start playing each other, since you have to keep track of which have been played this turn, been played last turn, and been played this turn by other Sunken Cities.

Tactical Village
+1 Action

This card may fall victim to the common misconception that Duration cards do something other than remind players that their Duration effects are enqueued. When Merchant Ship is played, it sets up the effect of getting +$2 at the start of your next turn, regardless of whether or not Merchant Ship is still in play. If Procession trashed the Merchant Ship (or Tactical Village discarded it), the +$2 would occur regardless. Notably, this can create an untrackable game-state if a player's Hireling were discarded by a Tactical Village (not that that would ever occur, since it would be almost strictly benefit to the owner of the Hireling). The only card that would have be affected by discarding it would be other players' Tactical Villages.
Even if it did snub Duration effects, Duration cards are cool, and I would not want to take any chance of discouraging them.

War Room
This can save trashed one-shots from being trashed, whether or not that is intentional. It also would prevent the "if you do (trash this)" clauses from triggering on cards like Mining Village.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 06:28:29 am »

I never found Sunken City difficult to track... But i guess you are right in that the card can have three "states", depending on when and how you played it. Or rather, it can cause other cards to end in that third state. I never had a problem with it, though.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +452
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 07:07:52 am »
+4

Prawn Shop

This makes me wish I'd submitted Clambassador.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 07:31:55 am »
+2

I have played with two cards cited above. Sunken City was, indeed, a bit difficult to track at times, but not impossible. You just needed to be attentive a bit.

Tactical Village was played as if it did remove the duration effect. Never realized that strictly speaking that was wrong, although it does feel like designed intend. The card we use did have 'attack' on it, so it could be moated. (In the game we played: 'lighthoused'. Although now I am wondering wether that works when you the 'attack' is below the line. It felt like it should be possible.) It was good fun: will I discard my TV to hurt my opponents Wharf or will I keep it and have another action in the next turn? The drawback was big enough to not stop people from playing duration cards, at least in that particular game. (Wharf, Tactical Village, lighthouse and fishing village.)

Created an interesting dynamic, even if the wording apparently wasn't tiptop. But that can be improved on to match the design intent.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 04:25:05 am »

Helmsman is one of the most interesting sifters I have ever seen and probably my favourite card here. The notion of a sifter which doesn't draw but merely prepares / topdecks is novel, simple and good.

Prawn Shop is probably just a joke card but it is quite interesting and similar to this.
The key question is of course whether a duration Lost City is really worth 4$ respectively how many Prawn Shops you need to self-synergize well enough.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 02:28:13 am »
+1

Breakwater
+1 Action
+$1

+$1
Gain a Duration card.

Worth 1VP

Okay let me just say now, I don't like the idea of a card that specifically calls out other Durations.  I don't really like cards in general that call out other "sub" types.  Squire is okay because it's just a nice little extra thing the card does, and Attacks are in every expansion.  For this, the Duration gaining is a major part of the card, and Breakwater is itself a Duration (which it needs to be, since a major part of the card only works with Durations on the board).  But think about what happens when Breakwater is the only Duration.  You either get all of them, or they're all dead; it's a Rats-type card and I think super-weak.  And when there are other durations, it's a totally different card, and also crazy strong I think, because it does so much stuff, like a semi-Harem super-Workshop thing.

Captain's Log

Again I don't like calling out Durations specifically, but I think this is a lot better than Breakwater.  I think it'll be confusing to track (even though it's designed to minimize tracking issues), and I don't really find it compelling enough to be worth it.

Cargo

It's a unique creative idea.  I think it's insanely weak as it is and wouldn't get bought much even at $2.  It could be a cantrip and then I think it'd be more appealing.

Diving Bell
+2 Cards
+1 Action

This is better than the old version.  I'm still not sure if the idea is interesting enough.  I think if I were playing with this card I'd forget to draw from the bottom every time.

Fisherwoman

A conditional duration is a cool idea but I feel like there should be a good reason for it to work that way, that's really essential to the concept, and I'm not really seeing that here.  I think it would mostly just be confusing.

Harbourmaster
+2 Cards

So this is a "fixed" Caravan Guard ("fixed" in quotes because I know a lot of people think there's nothing wrong with it, and I am aware that this is totally different from Caravan Guard).  I do think it's clever how when you play it out of turn, the next turn bonus becomes worse, so it's still a lab out of turn but not a whole lot better than that.

Helm
+2 cards
Discard a card.

So this is better than +2 cards +1 action discard a card.  Well it misses shuffles but still.  The ability to play the card next turn more than makes up for that.  But even at $5 I don't think the card is compelling enough that I'd vote for it.

Helmsman
+1 Action

Someone went for a non-Duration.  I think it's okay in Seaside.  I don't think the idea is really interesting though.

Pier

So basically just a crazy silver flooder.  I think it's a lot slower but also a lot bigger than Masterpiece and Trader.  I do feel like there are some interesting uses for it.  Like a big Wharf engine that easily draws itself, and needs more economy.  But eventually it forces you into a state of losing control over everything.  I also wonder if it gains too many silver, like the pile will run out too easily.

Pioneer
+3 Cards
+1 Buy

Weird...I think I like it.  I think the extra effect might be weak, just because spending say $4 on a card just to play it once seems like a bad deal.  But there are definitely cases where you can make big things happen with it, and oh man Fortress is a thing.

So here's a bizarre question.  If I buy an Estate with this, which is Inherited as card X, and then buy Inheritance to move Estate token to card Y, when I play Estate next turn, I play it as card Y right?  I don't know why that wouldn't be the case, but it just seems weird.  I guess that situation can already happen with Summon.

Prawn Shop
+1 Buy
+$1

+1 Card
+1 Action

Eh...this one is too vanilla.  I can't decide whether I love or hate the name.

Prospector

How does this fit into Seaside?

Sunken City
+1 Action

Again, maybe good though hard to track.

Tactical Village
+1 Action

Okay, a Hireling-style Village was something I thought about and thought it was reasonably interesting, though I think it should cost $6.  But I don't like the bottom half at all.  Like even assuming it worked the way the author intended, which would probably be a nightmare to word precisely.  It's like "let me give up my awesome village to try to hurt you more", and I feel like it's a lot more political than other attacks (because you're giving up something you like, and you choose when to do it), and I think it will feel bad for everyone when you do it, and it calls out Durations specifically, and just makes you not want to use other Durations.

Treasure Finder

This isn't a bad idea.  I think Permanent Scout has been suggested before and this was probably inspired by it.  I think it should cost at least $5, just because permanent effects are so strong.  It's like you anti-Rabble yourself every turn.  I think it could get annoying having to do this three times at the start of every turn if you get three of them in play.

War Room

It seems very loosely connected to Seaside to me.  I think a Throne Room-Scheme combo card has been suggested before.  It would probably be interesting.  I think the way it's worded makes it hard to track, especially with one-shots (you have to remember for the whole rest of the turn how many War Rooms' extra effects you've used up, and it's worse because the effect stacks when throned (not sure if that was intentional but that's how it works, despite the "Once during this turn" phrase), and of course this is bad since it is itself a Throne Room).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.