Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Giant  (Read 6838 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Giant
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:02:35 am »
+3

FEE FIE FOE FUM
I SMELL THE BLOOD OF A

oh wait the Journey token's face down, never mind, as you were

Since we're caught up on Events, it's time for the ME SMASH card.
-How many Giants do you want?
-Is Giant worth it if there's no Throne Room variant on the board?
-What effect (if any) does the presence of other Journey token cards have?
-What hurts more: the trashing, or the Curse?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Giant
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:10:32 am »
+7

I don't see how Giant combos better with TR-variants than other actions.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 11:19:44 am »
+4

It combos with better than counting house for example.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:27 am »
+1

It's not so much that it comboes better, as that it's more reliable with TR-variants.  Without a TR-variant, you're only getting the full benefit of the card every other play, which is not the case with other cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 11:24:19 am »

Is the plan to go through all the Adventures cards/events before the Empires previews come around?

If you can play two Giants every turn, well that's +6 coins plus a strong attack. The attack is pretty slow, but you can't forget about that juicy +5 coins. Good for spiking Provinces if you yourself have been feeling the heat from Giants.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:49:24 am »
+3

Comparing Giant to some similar terminal $5 attacks is not a bad go.

Tr -> Dame Sylvia gives $4 and searches 4 cards for $3-6 to kill; however she dies if she hits a knight or is hit by another Knight.
Tr -> Jester gives $4 and searches 2 cards to gain value ($2-9, but rarely outside of $3 - 6), give out junk (usually coppers, but sometimes curses), or whiffs (hits an empty pile, Knight, or Bm card)
Tr -> Giant gives $6 and searches 2 cards and it MUST either destroy $3-6 in value xor give out a Curse. Dies if hit by another Giant.

So against Dame Sylvia (say from the Bm to make life easy) is clearly inferior if cards in the $3-6 window make up less than 1/4 of your deck, you will start whiffing with here while Giant will be tossing Curses and giving more cash. On the other hand against a really thin deck with good trashing Sylvia is far better at causing destruction, well worth $2.

Against Jester, Giant makes it easier to buy what you need and easier to give out stronger trash. Again Jester gets relatively better the more we are looking at gaining two $3-6/destroyer $3-6 vs giving 2 coppers/giving a curse.

This suggests that long term, Giant is a nicely balanced $5 attack.

However, in the short term, Giant can be a beast. $5 is enough to vault all the way to Plat off coppers. Getting Kc, Forge, or Prince early is huge and early curses are generally far more damaging than later curses. I can always buy a Giant after playing one for $5. This high variance can be extremely useful in the opening to hit one big and one tiny hand or in the late game to spike provinces in a busted deck.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 01:29:52 pm »

Two of these is really good payload for an engine. Almost half of your cash for a double Province engine plus a trash / junk attack.

How do you guys feel this works with Pathfinding? Would you pay $4 and a Buy to get the token the "right" way? Same with Ranger I guess
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 01:35:04 pm »
+1

It's not so much that it comboes better, as that it's more reliable with TR-variants.  Without a TR-variant, you're only getting the full benefit of the card every other play, which is not the case with other cards.

With a TR variant, you are still only getting the full benefit of the card every other play.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 01:46:11 pm »

Two of these is really good payload for an engine. Almost half of your cash for a double Province engine plus a trash / junk attack.

How do you guys feel this works with Pathfinding? Would you pay $4 and a Buy to get the token the "right" way? Same with Ranger I guess

I guess you mean Pilgrimage? Pathfinding is the $8 event that gives a card the +1 card token.

If you have spare buy for Pilgrimage, then Giant becomes comparable to Dame Sylvia. Itcan dish out Curses and doesn't trash itself when it trashes another Giant, but only produces 1 effective coin until you decide to stop buying Pilgrimage (then it gives +$5).

If you have a spare action to play Ranger, then it's 2 cards for +$5, a buy(from Ranger) and a strong attack. That sounds pretty good actually.

This is assuming you have an engine and are able to consistently use these Journey Token card pairs as payload.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 09:21:19 pm »

If you're playing all Adventures, sure.

But I feel like with soooo many expansions and cards out now, and people mostly playing full random, having more than one Journey token card/event is pretty rare.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 03:06:05 pm »
+2

The Ranger/Pilgrimage combos are not especially exciting. You might set up Pilgrimage with Giant. Hey you're at least getting a Giant.

Throne Rooms are a cute combo but not essential. I've seen Royal Carriage the most there, since it's in Adventures. Disciple, not bad. I've seen Lost Arts on Giant; let's play a lot of Giants.

Giant is a rare top-down card. I wanted a card called Giant. It's slow but hits hard. Late in the game you are sad to trash a card unless it's VP; early on either attack is good. Getting a lot of $ at once is good, but you knew that. It's not a tricky card.

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 06:46:04 pm »

If you want the "real" effect every turn, you have to allocate two actions for it instead of one. It's the opposite of Durations in this way. When terminal slots come at a premium, you may have to make some tough choices.

If you can't play two each turn, then like Tactician (et al.), you worry some about your late turns having dud Giants.

Other than that, I'd say it's a strong, straightforward payload attack!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.