Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: J Reggie's expansion  (Read 7845 times)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: J Reggie's expansion
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2022, 08:16:51 pm »
+2

Wow, it's been a long time!  But I was inspired by some new mechanics, and I wanted to make more cards.  I still like the idea of Support cards, and think they work well with the Allies-style split piles.  Here's a rough idea, the Puppets:

Puppeteer
Support/Puppet - $2
The host card is now an Action in addition to its other types. You may rotate the puppets.
Marionette
Reserve/Puppet - $3
Put this on your Tavern mat.

At the end of your turn, you may call this to return to your buy phase and +1 buy.
Puppet Opera
Duration/Puppet - $4
At the start of your next turn, you may play any number of treasures from your hand, and then draw until you have 5 cards in your hand. Until then, when you play a Support card, the host card is a Treasure in addition to its other types.
Backdrop
Victory/Puppet - $5
%2
+4 Cards

The idea is that you need to line up the later puppets with the Puppeteer.  It's probably really weak, but I think something could be done with this.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2022, 08:54:33 pm »

how do support cards work with stuff like Voyage? do they count as one of the three cards you can play?

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2022, 09:41:24 pm »
+1

how do support cards work with stuff like Voyage? do they count as one of the three cards you can play?

Yep, you play them from your hand.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2022, 12:39:36 pm »
+1

Marionette
Reserve/Puppet - $3

At the end of your turn, you may call this to return to your buy phase and +1 buy.

I'm almost certain that "the end of your turn" would be after your clean-up phase, meaning you would have already discarded your hand and all the cards you had in play and drawn a new hand. This kind of gives you another turn that starts in your Buy phase.

Was that your intention? If it was, there are some issues around tracking, as (1) all your payload (Treasures/Actions that give +$) are gone, so it might be hard to remember how much $ you had; and (2) cards that have an effect for the rest of the turn (Bridge, Livery, Galleria, Guildmaster) will all be gone, but still have their effect.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2022, 05:02:50 pm »

Marionette
Reserve/Puppet - $3

I'm almost certain that "the end of your turn" would be after your clean-up phase, meaning you would have already discarded your hand and all the cards you had in play and drawn a new hand. This kind of gives you another turn that starts in your Buy phase.

Was that your intention? If it was, there are some issues around tracking, as (1) all your payload (Treasures/Actions that give +$) are gone, so it might be hard to remember how much $ you had; and (2) cards that have an effect for the rest of the turn (Bridge, Livery, Galleria, Guildmaster) will all be gone, but still have their effect.

You are correct. I don't think that was his intention.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2022, 01:19:27 pm »

That was exactly the intention. The idea is that you draw your hand and then decide if you want to take another buy phase. The concept came from taking an extra turn where you start in your buy phase, but I thought it was simpler to just give you another buy phase in the current turn (because it avoids questions like "does this skip the start of my turn" etc). But I guess these questions show it should be more clear that it's after drawing your new hand.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2022, 01:09:18 pm »

The next set of 4 is a whole new card type which I came up with some time ago: Support cards.  These cards are played along with a host card, which can be any other card that you play.  That means you can play a Support card with an Action, a Treasure, or even another Support card.  They each alter or interact with the host card in different ways.

So, I really like the concept of Support cards, but I have some questions about how the mechanic works. First, what is the timing? Do you resolve the Support card or the host card first?

Chambermaid
Support
When you play this, trash a card from your hand. When you discard this from play, trash the host card.
Add 1 to all numbers on the host card.

From Inscription I would guess that you would have to resolve the Support card first (after all, once the host card is resolved you can't go back and add 1 to the numbers). But does that mean that if you played Chambermaid on a Ruined Library you first trash a card then resolve RL (drawing a card)? That seems counterintuitive.

They will be attached to the host card until it goes back into your discard pile, so if you trash the host card or set it aside, the Support card gets trashed or set aside as well.

What if the card goes back onto your deck (e.g. with Herbalist or Scheme). Does the Support follow it? If so, is the Support card still "attached" to the card? What if you draw one of those cards but not the other (if you put 4 more cards onto the deck after)?

How would this work with Fortress? If you trash it from play (with Improve or Bonfire) does the Support stay in the trash or follow Fortress back to your hand? And, again, is it still "attached" to Fortress, or can it be played on a Night card? What if you trash a different Action card from play, then gain that Action back using Lurker. Is the Support still attached? What if you gain the Support using Graverobber or Rogue? Does the card it's attached to come with it?

What about when cards return to their piles? If you play a Support on a Horse, does the Support card do back to it's own pile or to the Horse pile (or neither)?
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.