Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wiki things: How "main" are Events?  (Read 5972 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Wiki things: How "main" are Events?
« on: February 22, 2016, 09:24:19 am »
+4

So, given that there has been a Promo Event, and that Empires is going to be adding more Events, and the fact that "Event" is not a sub-type (like Attack or Duration), but really its own, very different thing, I'm considering moving Event from "special type" to "main type" in the "Card types" navbox, alongside Action, Treasure, Victory and Curse.

This may seem trivial and kind of silly, but it's my "job" (read: hobby) to care about these things.  The more sets we get adding Events, the more silly it seems to stick Events on the same line as Prizes and Looters. 

Counterargument: Events were not introduced in the Base game, and are not required to be included in every game.

Countercounterargument: Your face looks funny.

Anyway, what do you all think?  I don't want to just willy nilly make changes like this, however dumb they may seem.  Thanks in advance for indulging me.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki things: How "main" are Events?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 10:04:04 am »
+6

There are no "main" types or "special" types at all. It's a false dichotomy; a construct of your own devising.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:53 am »

So, given that there has been a Promo Event, and that Empires is going to be adding more Events, and the fact that "Event" is not a sub-type (like Attack or Duration), but really its own, very different thing, I'm considering moving Event from "special type" to "main type" in the "Card types" navbox, alongside Action, Treasure, Victory and Curse.

Attack and Duration are not sub-types. They are just types. There could be a card that just has "Attack" and nothing else as its type.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:10:31 am »
+4

Events aren't even a card.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:13:38 am »
+3

How has noone made a "It's time for what you've all been waiting for, the Main Event" joke yet?
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:25:53 am »
+2

There are no "main" types or "special" types at all. It's a false dichotomy; a construct of your own devising.

[what-if-I-told-you-meme]

I am at work, so I'll let someone else do it properly and get all the respect.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 10:40:07 am »
+6

[what-if-I-told-you-meme]

I am at work, so I'll let someone else do it properly and get all the respect.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 10:47:02 am »
+1

Actually, it was devised before I started editing the wiki, so, blame someone else. :)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 11:12:44 am »
+2

I vote that we add a new row for "Landscape types".  Just in case.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 11:28:17 am »

I vote that we add a new row for "Landscape types".  Just in case.

I actually agree with this, but I also vote for abolishing the various subdivisions of card types.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 11:48:02 am »
+2

I would vote for

1: Not separating types into "main" or "special" or "subtypes". Agree with the couple other comments here; "Action" is no more special than "Looter" in terms of what it means to have a type.

2: Not listing events along side types at all. "Types" seems to mean "card types". Events aren't cards. This is sort of done currently because the listing for "Events" isn't bulleted, so it's not really in the list. Though it sort of looks like the missing bullet is a typo. The mention of events should be more clearly separated from the list of types.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 12:28:31 pm »
+2

I would vote for

1: Not separating types into "main" or "special" or "subtypes". Agree with the couple other comments here; "Action" is no more special than "Looter" in terms of what it means to have a type.

Like, I get what you and LF and others are saying, about how these divisions "aren't real", but, like, neither are things like "throne room variant" or "payload" or "duchy dancing".  We have articles for things that aren't in the rules.  I also think it's easier to parse if the navbox has subheadings like that, rather than just throwing them all in together.

2: Not listing events along side types at all. "Types" seems to mean "card types". Events aren't cards. This is sort of done currently because the listing for "Events" isn't bulleted, so it's not really in the list. Though it sort of looks like the missing bullet is a typo. The mention of events should be more clearly separated from the list of types.

We can pick around with this, but since the word "card" is already used for things you put into your deck, there isn't really an overarching word we can use to describe both *that* and Events (and Landmarks, probably) other than, well, "card".  Kind of like how "Action" refers to a card type and a turn phase and a thing required to play Actions.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 12:40:01 pm »
+6

We can pick around with this, but since the word "card" is already used for things you put into your deck, there isn't really an overarching word we can use to describe both *that* and Events (and Landmarks, probably) other than, well, "card".  Kind of like how "Action" refers to a card type and a turn phase and a thing required to play Actions.
Well that's a mistake. It should be like, +1 Play, that lets you play an Action card. Overloading the term just leads to confusion.

Obv. Events are cards, they just aren't game-term-cards. My overarching term from other games is Rules Component. That would include tiles with rules or whatever.

Okay I am looking at your card types thing.

Instead of "Main types" it should be "Base card types." It's nice to separate those out since they are ubiquitous, but rules-wise all types are equal.

Then have "Multiple expansion types." Or some better way to put that. For sure "subtypes" is the bunk. You're trying to bring in Magic lingo that means nothing here. So anyway, Attack, Reaction, Duration.

Then "Single expansion types." Prize, Shelter, Ruins, Looter, Knight, Reserve, Traveller.

Put Events somewhere else, they don't make sense as a "card type." They are a type of card, but that's nothing to do with Treasure etc.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 03:02:00 pm »
+1

I lean toward removing categories of card types entirely, keeping Action, Treasure, and Victory at the top with a note after that indicates that all published kingdom cards have at least one of those three types.  Then do the other types alphabetically.  So:

Action: (description)
Treasure: (desc)
Victory

*All published Kingdom cards have at least one of the above types.  Other types appear on fewer cards, and include:

Attack
Curse
Duration
Knight
Looter
Prize
Reaction
Reserve
Ruins
Shelter
Traveller
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 03:14:08 pm »
+1

While I understand that all types are equal, some types are more equal than others. Action and Treasure are the only types that allow you to play a card, that seems important. With the exception of Looter, which is a type that changes the setup of the game, all other types are only important in that they let other cards refer to them; otherwise anything they can or cannot do is already specified on the card itself.

Please correct me if I am wrong (...like I need to tell you that).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 03:16:21 pm »
+1

While I understand that all types are equal, some types are more equal than others. Action and Treasure are the only types that allow you to play a card, that seems important. With the exception of Looter, which is a type that changes the setup of the game, all other types are only important in that they let other cards refer to them; otherwise anything they can or cannot do is already specified on the card itself.

Please correct me if I am wrong (...like I need to tell you that).

You're a little wrong.

Duration type actually changes the rules; it stops them from being discarded at the end of a turn.

Reaction and Reserve are extra-weird; they aren't even referred to by other cards ever.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 05:55:42 pm »
+3

I'm considering moving Event from "special type" to "main type" in the "Card types" navbox, alongside Action, Treasure, Victory and Curse.

Events...are not required to be included in every game.
actions aren't either. did someone say that yet
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 06:13:38 pm »
+3

I'm considering moving Event from "special type" to "main type" in the "Card types" navbox, alongside Action, Treasure, Victory and Curse.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 06:31:03 pm »

A Homestar Runner reference on f.ds... impressive.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 06:47:47 pm »

Treasures, however, are required.

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 02:18:02 pm »

Has anyone here ever played a game with no Action cards in the Supply? Seems achievement-worthy.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 02:27:14 pm »
+1

Has anyone here ever played a game with no Action cards in the Supply? Seems achievement-worthy.
I did it in the early days, just to learn what there was to learn - no kingdom cards at all. And I did it later when there were enough special treasures, just for the fun of it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.