Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Last turn strategy  (Read 8924 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Last turn strategy
« on: February 21, 2016, 06:52:00 pm »

I feel like there should be an article about this - probably not citing specific cards that much, but mechanics and such.

There's something to be said about doing things on your last turn that you would almost never do any other time - trashing your last key card, passing your opponent something good, buying 30 coppers, etc. And it's because you know it won't hurt if you mess up your deck, since you won't need to use it again.

Thoughts?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Last turn strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »

I guess this would extend to "last go through the deck" strategy?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:47:33 pm »

I guess this would extend to "last go through the deck" strategy?
"Last shuffle strategy" would be best I think
Depends If you are talking about gaining cards mid turn with Uni or just buying coppers last shuffle.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:48:38 pm by Limetime »

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:15:03 pm »
+3

A few hours ago Titandrake used his Ambassador to gain his opponent a province and then bought the last province to win.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 08:16:20 pm »
+2

The strategy is to make your own shuffle luck.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:18:18 pm »

There's something to be said about doing things on your last turn that you would almost never do any other time - trashing your last key card, passing your opponent something good, buying 30 coppers, etc. And it's because you know it won't hurt if you mess up your deck, since you won't need to use it again.

Thoughts?

Yes, there's something to be said. If you can get more VP immediately or very soon afterwards (for example if you have a Counting House coming up) by ruining your deck at the stage when you know you're not going to reshuffle before the game ends, do it every time.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:52:10 pm »
+4

you should probably trash mining villages
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 10:14:34 pm »
+3

deep
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 10:16:11 pm »

I feel like there should be an article about this - probably not citing specific cards that much, but mechanics and such.

Thoughts?

Passing a key card or buying 30 coppers could be considered trolling. I mean, there are things you should do to optimize winning towards the end. I think strategy for the final turns is something to think of. But, I don't think just "buying" 30 coppers for the hell of it really constitutes strategy.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 10:21:53 pm »

Thoughts?

Passing a key card or buying 30 coppers could be considered trolling. I mean, there are things you should do to optimize winning towards the end. I think strategy for the final turns is something to think of. But, I don't think just "buying" 30 coppers for the hell of it really constitutes strategy.

Goons?

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 10:27:59 pm »
+7

Thoughts?

I think she means doing that because there's a reason to do it.  Passing something good because it somehow gives you a forced win, or buying 30 coppers because it improves your score (90-93% of the time, this is because of a GOON/GARDEN situation).

But I also don't think there's really much to say on this topic, because usually what's happening when you do crazy stuff like that is that you're looking through all of the possible ways you can end the game, and you've found one that leads to a forced win, which means that nothing else you do matters.  It's just a matter of being aware enough to look out for those possibilities, including things you wouldn't do at any other point in the game.  I guess it's more interesting when you do stuff like that, thinking that you're on your last shuffle, but not knowing that the game will end that turn.  There is probably space to write an article about when you can be sure enough you're on your last shuffle to be willing to take those risks.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 10:58:45 pm »

Thoughts?

I think she means doing that because there's a reason to do it.  Passing something good because it somehow gives you a forced win, or buying 30 coppers because it improves your score (90-93% of the time, this is because of a GOON_GARDEN situation).

But I also don't think there's really much to say on this topic, because usually what's happening when you do crazy stuff like that is that you're looking through all of the possible ways you can end the game, and you've found one that leads to a forced win, which means that nothing else you do matters.  It's just a matter of being aware enough to look out for those possibilities, including things you wouldn't do at any other point in the game.  I guess it's more interesting when you do stuff like that, thinking that you're on your last shuffle, but not knowing that the game will end that turn.  There is probably space to write an article about when you can be sure enough you're on your last shuffle to be willing to take those risks.
FYP to explain the joke if it wasn't obvious.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 11:18:45 pm »
+3

Thoughts?

I think she means doing that because there's a reason to do it.  Passing something good because it somehow gives you a forced win, or buying 30 coppers because it improves your score (90-93% of the time, this is because of a GOON_GARDEN situation).

FYP to explain the joke if it wasn't obvious.

It was.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 02:23:24 am »

Final turn principles are pretty simple. Mostly comes down to asking "Can I win?"

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 03:03:21 am »
+3

Edge case: Vineyards.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 07:19:38 am »
+1

Edge case: Vineyards.
That's why he said 'probably'.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 01:00:29 pm »
+1

I don't often trash Provinces and Colonies, but when I do, it's during the last turn of the game.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 01:32:42 pm »

I don't often trash Provinces and Colonies, but when I do, it's during the last turn of the game.

I mean, even as a meme this isn't that great, I Remodel/Salvage/Butcher Province into Province all the time if I want to empty the Provinces faster.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 01:35:03 pm »

I mean, even as a meme this isn't that great, I Remodel/Salvage/Butcher Province into Province all the time if I want to empty the Provinces faster.

Yeah I know I just wanted to phrase it that way.  But I more often do it on the last turn than not, I think. 

Edit: I'm also thinking of a specific time I did this, where there were two Colonies left, I had Salvager, Colony, and enough money in hand to buy one Colony.  Salvaging the Colony to double Colony guaranteed the win, though the same play if there were three Colonies left could have created possible catch-up situations for my opponent. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:40:28 pm by Witherweaver »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 02:22:41 pm »
+7

A few hours ago Titandrake used his Ambassador to gain his opponent a province and then bought the last province to win.

Off topic, but do you know what I want to see now? I want to see someone reveal Province to their opponent with the intention of ending on a win, then have their opponent reveal Moat to not gain a Province. It would be so beautifully silly to watch that be the correct play.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 02:29:32 pm »
+4

The opponent would need to reveal Moat before the Ambassador player chooses a card, so they could not even be sure they're blocking a Province.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 02:59:08 pm »

The opponent would need to reveal Moat before the Ambassador player chooses a card, so they could not even be sure they're blocking a Province.

Maybe they're doing it twice in 1 turn.  The first time you didn't reveal Moat (getting 1 Province).  Then the second time they try to do it, you realize what they're doing, and therefore reveal Moat to prevent it.

EDIT: Or maybe you just have Trader instead of     .
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:00:49 pm by Dingan »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 03:08:56 pm »
+2

Maybe they're doing it twice in 1 turn.  The first time you didn't reveal Moat (getting 1 Province).  Then the second time they try to do it, you realize what they're doing, and therefore reveal Moat to prevent it.

But why would you ever not Moat an Ambassador in 2p unless it was Golemed or Heralded into? Your opponent is going to be giving you something bad (in the sense that getting that thing will make it more likely for you to lose) every time.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 03:11:19 pm »

But why would you ever not Moat an Ambassador in 2p unless it was Golemed or Heralded into? Your opponent is going to be giving you something bad (in the sense that getting that thing will make it more likely for you to lose) every time.

Yeah, nevermind this scenario doesn't work.

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 03:08:47 am »

It works fine if they needed to pass 2 and you somehow read it correctly from the Moat seat.  (Then on your own turn you can get the last province and the extra duchy points or whatever).
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.