Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Alms  (Read 19938 times)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Alms
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 07:48:04 am »

Necro time!

Has your perception changed of how good Alms is? I felt like I was the only one saying this is an average event at best most of the time. The thing is, there haven't been many games that made me change my mind about it. It gains you a slightly better card early or a free $4 if you're chapeling, but that's all it does. Still doesn't sound strong.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 09:10:14 am »
+2

My perception of Alms hasn't changed much; I still think it's very strong!  In some games, it has only a minor role, but in many other games it can completely transform the way you build.  One synergy I missed when I first evaluated this card is cost reduction: Bridge in particular.  And Empires gave it one of its best synergies in Villa!

BTW, gaining a free $3-4 card while Chapeling is huge!  If only one player takes advantage of Alms in a game with Chapel, that player has a huge advantage.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 09:18:29 am »

There's a bunch of games where Alms does nothing, but it really helps on heavy thinning boards or when you want to open specific things. It's not an every game standout, but it's pretty cool.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 09:22:16 am »
+3

Alms is super strong with any trashing that trashes from your hand, not just Chapel (except for stuff like Moneylender and Masquerade). You rarely hit $4 on those turns. It's also strong with $4 splitters because it really sets you back when you don't hit $4 in those games, which might happen a couple of times in the early game. It's also extremely strong with a 5/2 opening. At its worst, it's still going to be moderately useful.

Luckily enough, it's almost trivial to realize when you should be buying Alms and when you shouldn't, so being wrong about its overall strength doesn't actually hurt at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

josh56

• Thief
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 10:00:23 am »

Alms is super strong with any trashing that trashes from your hand, not just Chapel (except for stuff like Moneylender and Masquerade). You rarely hit $4 on those turns. It's also strong with $4 splitters because it really sets you back when you don't hit $4 in those games, which might happen a couple of times in the early game. It's also extremely strong with a 5/2 opening. At its worst, it's still going to be moderately useful.

Luckily enough, it's almost trivial to realize when you should be buying Alms and when you shouldn't, so being wrong about its overall strength doesn't actually hurt at all.
This. I also kinda like that you can bluff well with the card. Not that it often influences your opponent but e.g. on 2/5 with you going first and junkers on the board the opponent might make a different decision during turn 1 if he knew that you could buy that $5 junker on turn 2.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 10:12:12 am »

Yeah, obviously you should buy Alms instead of playing Treasures whenever you just intend to buy something you could gain with Alms anyway. Which happens every game (well, it's technically possible to always hit $5 but that requires extremely rare shuffle luck in an extremely rare kingdom so basically it doesn't happen). So I think it's actually pretty safe to say that you buy Alms more often than any other card-shaped thing (games where you bought it/games you played with it).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:13:46 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 11:44:43 am »
+2

well, it's technically possible to always hit $5 but that requires extremely rare shuffle luck in an extremely rare kingdom

or a single-minded devotion to Mandarin, I guess
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.