Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: And Thief saves the day!  (Read 1368 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
And Thief saves the day!
« on: February 18, 2016, 08:30:51 am »
+2

I'm posting this here because it was a hilariously tense game, and I feel entitled to boast a bit if only just for not resigning this game, but if you want to see good Dominion, you probably want to visit many of the other threads on f:ds. :)
On the other hand, if you have any thoughts on my plays or on this board, and how you'd have played it (or I should have played it), I'd be happy to hear them! (it's against a bot)
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160217/log.0.1455729101587.txt
Kingdom:
Shanty Town, Steward, Workshop, Cutpurse, Militia, Quarry, Thief, Bazaar, Library, Rabble, Colony
(how does one post all the images like everyone else does? I found a broken link in an old thread but noting more)

I go for the Engine, even though the components are expensive and there's no +Buy, hoping it will work out thanks to Militia and then Rabbles (Workshop could gain Shanties here, but I don't think it would work out?). I suspect I should have bought another Militia in the early game to keep my opponent at bay while I built, but one way or the other, my opponent had a very high quality deck and 40-ish points by the time I could attack him consistently with 3 Rabbles, and I realized that 2-3 card hands are plenty when your treasures are mostly Platina and Golds. (luckily there was no risk for a three pile). With no +Buy, I had to buy green one piece at a time so it looked very bleak for me.
In desperation I changed direction and focused on playing three Thieves a turn, hoping to stall him hard enough to get essentially all the remaining green on the board. Long story short, it worked, I made him trash a total of 7 Platina and 7 Golds, never gaining them. He spiked a Province and a Duchy during his decline but I got him with only 2 Duchies and an Estate left on the board as leeway. (and a Colony, but I couldn't gain both it and the Province).
Of course mostly playing against bots leaves me wondering whether some of my plans would ever work against a competent opponent.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:36:12 am by Accatitippi »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: And Thief saves the day!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:03:52 am »

Note that Rabble and Thief don't work perfectly well together since you could just flip his topdecked VP cards.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 09:17:31 am »

Note that Rabble and Thief don't work perfectly well together since you could just flip his topdecked VP cards.
Yes, and that was a pain all along, (in particular if you wished your Shanty towns to draw, but don't want to play a Thief that only helps your opponent) but luckily Steward's draw made it possible to play most Thieves before Rabbles. Then I greened hard and gave up thieving (not that there was anything left to steal).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:34:09 pm by Accatitippi »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:22:12 pm »
+1

Ya with +buy this would be a clear engine -- villages, thinning, virtual economy, powerful chaining attacks, etc.  But as you pointed out, how viable is that without +buy?  I'd say not really.  I can imagine a game where both human players ignore Thief unless you're clearly far behind (as you pointed out), at which point if I'm the human without Thieves, I'll be trying to piledrive the Provinces (not Colonies) to end the game asap.  I also probably would never buy Gold, provided I have enough economy to buy a Platinum -- I would rather have Bazaars, Rabbles, and Platina than Golds, Golds, and Platina -- which would have made the Thieves less powerful.  So all in all I'd have to see what my opponent did, how far ahead or behind I get, and go Bazaar or Rabble on $5-$8 during the building phase.  Regardless of how the game evolves, I think early game is pretty clear to thin with Steward while playing Militia if you can.  So I guess I'd open with that and go from there (as you did).

Not much help, sorry  :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:23:26 pm by Dingan »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.389 seconds with 20 queries.