Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Ferry  (Read 20848 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Ferry
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 06:52:53 pm »

Also:

I start a "Let's Discuss" thread: +6 Respect

Donald X starts a "Let's Discuss" thread: +35 Respect

Not complaining or anything, just pointing it out.

You could just post some memes instead

You could just make a joke about how posting memes gets more respect than posts with content instead.
Can we start posting Ferry memes? We get to post memes without derailing the topic, so everyone wins.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 07:02:21 pm »
+2

Also:

If I had to guess, at least some of the respect isn't because it's Donald who started it, or because it's a "Let's Discuss" thread. It's because of a combination of the humor in the OP itself, as well as the way that this thread was a response to try and get the forum back on track after all the drama.

I for one only +'d it after noticing the island-logic-puzzle joke.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 07:25:49 pm »

Also:

I do get most of my respect from memes.

Link to the one you started (I am not going to go find it myself) and I'll go give it a sympathy up vote in addition to the sympathy up vote I gave this post...

I made the Expedition thread.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:27:22 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 09:17:48 pm »
+3

Can we start posting Ferry memes? We get to post memes without derailing the topic, so everyone wins.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 12:42:07 am »
+2

For cost-reducing cards, the generally accepted wisdom is that in the absence of cost-related gainers or other shenanigans, you're not getting much out of them if you don't apply them to multiple Buys at a time. Bridge is a terminal Silver, Highway is a Peddler, even Bridge Troll is a Cutpurse with a Duration Copper. Quarry gets to be a Gold for Actions, which is pretty sweet, but that's about it.

So Ferry isn't great if you're only going to buy the cost-reduced card once. But then again, that seems slightly untrue, and I think the reason for it is that as an Event, its effect is immediate and persistent, both of which make it very strong. It essentially becomes like a Grand Treasury - an instant $2 that takes up no space in your deck and that you have access to as soon as you buy it, so the fact that it's priced the same as Silver is insane. I mean, ok, it's less insane once you realise that the $2 can only be spent on one card, and if you want to spend it on something different you have to buy it again. So given the number of times you get $3 and don't want a Silver, but wish you could have a magical disappearing Silver to guarantee a decent buy next turn, yeah I think it's got its use in those circumstances. Especially on those openings where you'd open $5/- if you could but $3/$4 is rubbish.

Then any time you *would* be buying the card multiple times, then it's the same as when you spend multiple buys on a turn with a standard cost reducer - you get that extra money on every purchase; the difference being that it works even when the buys are spread across multiple turns, something that only Bridge Troll can normally do.

So I think Ferry is a strong Event, and it looks like a really fun one to play with on a lot of different boards.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 09:27:14 am »
+3

Also:

I do get most of my respect from memes.

It's hard work, but someone has to do it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 05:40:52 pm »
+2

Ferry is among the best events in the game, and I have yet to play a game when I didn't buy it.

All of the normal rules about cost reducers are off the table with Ferry - specifically, the assumption that you need +Buy / gaining on the board for it to be worth it is just wrong. It's nothing like Quarry or Highway. Quarry needs +Buy because otherwise it's a shitty Gold that only works on Actions; Highway needs it because otherwise it's an expensive Peddler. Ferry's opportunity cost is solely an early Buy, and the benefits are reaped over multiple turns, so you don't need +Buy at all. If there's anything worth 5 or more you want more than one of, it goes on that pile as soon as possible.

Ferry makes most engine games dramatically faster, obviously. It's a nice change of pace. It's often worth it to move it from pile to pile, especially with +Buy, so you can swipe up several of one component in one fell swoop. If you have a bunch of money, you'll often find yourself moving the token and gaining things from the pile in the same turn. I've actually never played it with gainers or Band of Misfits (I mean, I think it was in a game with Artificer, but I missed that opportunity), so can't really weigh in there.

This is probably one of my favorite events, I love it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 06:44:34 pm »
+3

I disagree about Quarry bring a crappy Gold. Even without +Buy, it can help you better hit an important $5 cost like MB, Cultist, Witch etc. It slightly increases your odds over opening double Silver.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 06:49:58 pm »
+1

I disagree about Quarry bring a crappy Gold. Even without +Buy, it can help you better hit an important $5 cost like MB, Cultist, Witch etc. It slightly increases your odds over opening double Silver.
Gold does that as well?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 06:51:38 pm »

Gold does that as well?
But you can't open with Gold.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 07:03:21 pm »

Gold does that as well?

You know that this is not true.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 07:10:08 pm »

Gold does that as well?

You know that I mean most of the time!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 07:25:54 pm »

Gold does that as well?

You know that I mean most of the time!

Then you should have said "usually".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 07:50:54 pm »

Gold does that as well?

Actually opening with Gold sounds pretty bad though? On most boards where this is possible (Lost City, Baker, Borrow are the relevant things I guess) it just doesn't sound very good. The opportunity cost of a 6-cost like Gold is much higher than of a 4-cost like Quarry. I'm sure it's sometimes right, but it's a rare board where a first shuffle Gold is better than all the other 5 and 6-cost cards.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 01:11:16 am »
+8

Also:

You could just make a joke about how posting memes gets more respect than posts with content instead.

You mean like this?

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 20 queries.