Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Organized Online Play  (Read 5436 times)

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
Organized Online Play
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:48:36 pm »
+6

Splitting this out from another thread:

Also, on the topic of other tournaments, would anyone be interested in a monthly Swiss tournament with 1 game matches?
I would!

I would play in these, it could be cool. I would say that such things are probably scheduling nightmares; in order to turn around a tournament in a month you would need fairly aggressive scheduling, possibly with the very real threat of forfeiting matches based on scheduling.

Honestly, what I would like more are '8-mans' (to use the MTGO terminology): a place (possibly a Discord channel) with a bot that ran small single elimination or swiss events on-demand when they filled up. Unfortunately, it would need to take self-reported results; there's not a way get those fast enough out of the client and/or logs automagically (unless everyone playing used a currently non-existent MF mod).

I like the League, this isn't about replacing that. This topic is for other organized, competitive online play.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Organized Online Play
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:52:01 pm »

There used to be one-day tournaments -- on a Saturday (or whatever day) people would just hang around for a few hours and play the entire tournament right there. They seemed somewhat popular but stopped happening before I stumbled upon F.DS.

This idea solves the scheduling problem by creating a bunch of other unrelated problems! It is clearly better than all other options.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 03:22:45 pm »

I would certainly like it a lot if we could have tournaments that are more or less like IRL tournaments, except online. I.e. shorter matches and the entire tournament gets played in a couple of hours (maybe several hours for larger tournaments not very often). I could even organize or help organize such tournaments myself sometimes when I'm not too busy with other stuff.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 03:45:57 pm »
+1

That could be fun.  But honestly I think I'd like something more akin to what Hearthstone does - ranked seasons where you can play against everyone else in the pool (rather than just 4-5 other people), but only if you're currently ranked equivalently with them.  Doing well in one season seeds you higher in the next one.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 03:49:02 pm »

That could be fun.  But honestly I think I'd like something more akin to what Hearthstone does - ranked seasons where you can play against everyone else in the pool (rather than just 4-5 other people), but only if you're currently ranked equivalently with them.  Doing well in one season seeds you higher in the next one.
What about a series of tournaments? The winners of each can be accepted for a more formal, more competitive competition.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:50:29 pm »

Hmm, that sounds like it would take a lot more work to organize than simple tournaments. It would also be kinda cool, but that's pretty close to the way the League already operates.

I would certainly like it a lot if we could have tournaments that are more or less like IRL tournaments, except online. I.e. shorter matches and the entire tournament gets played in a couple of hours (maybe several hours for larger tournaments not very often). I could even organize or help organize such tournaments myself sometimes when I'm not too busy with other stuff.

I would certainly be willing to help coordinate these; it shouldn't be too difficult to put together.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 06:07:20 pm »
+1

That seems like a charming idea. I'd like to play in those, too. One problem with tournaments like these might be the time difference issue, though. You would pretty much have to host these on weekends.

Also, what's nice about an IRL tournament, is getting to hang around, chat, watch other games while not playing and the likes. And going for a beer afterwards. A one-afternoon-online-tournament might not be able to incorporate all that, even with modern technology. I mean, I could always sit in front of my computer with my own beer and it would be fine. But not the same.

If people were streaming though and there's some chat activity and what-not, pretty much everything except for the going-for-a-beer-afterwards-thing is kind of accounted for. I think this might be fun. At least, it should be tried.

I could also help, time permitting, instead of just complaining about beer.
Join Team Rocket!

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:11:14 pm »

That seems like a charming idea. I'd like to play in those, too. One problem with tournaments like these might be the time difference issue, though. You would pretty much have to host these on weekends.

Also, what's nice about an IRL tournament, is getting to hang around, chat, watch other games while not playing and the likes. And going for a beer afterwards. A one-afternoon-online-tournament might not be able to incorporate all that, even with modern technology. I mean, I could always sit in front of my computer with my own beer and it would be fine. But not the same.

If people were streaming though and there's some chat activity and what-not, pretty much everything except for the going-for-a-beer-afterwards-thing is kind of accounted for. I think this might be fun. At least, it should be tried.

I could also help, time permitting, instead of just complaining about beer.

Yeah, if people were just in a Discord channel for the tournament, then the chat could be there. Getting a beer is still not on the cards though; disappointingly, I also failed to go get a beer with any tournament-goers at Adam's tournament a few weeks ago.

I agree that, for scheduled tournaments, a weekend day is a must. However, for some sort of on-demand 8-mans, part of the beauty is that you can play what hopefully will feel like more meaningful, competitive Dominion when you are actually available, even if that means encountering mostly those from your time zone.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 05:35:14 pm »

So, what would you need to actually set this up?

- A thread dedicated to organizing short 8 player-tournaments
- A way of announcing upcoming tournaments and a reasonable timeframe (scheduling a week or two ahead to let people know and then actual sign-ins like on the very day to avoid having to find replacements for cancellations? I don't know.)
- eight people willing to play.

That doesn't sound too bad. The problem is finding a balance between keeping these tournaments "spontaneous" (meaning as little work as possible) and giving people a reason to actually stick around. I agree that there's no way to incorporate that "let's have a beer afterwards"-feeling (there I go with the beer again. It's just, man, I like having a beer with people), but to keep people involved there has to be more than just the bare bones.

Even if there's no stream, no chat, no whatever, people - depending on their preferences of course - might get a greater feeling of accomplishment playing Dominion, if winning allows them to "advance a round" or "play in a finals game", but four out of eight people would have no reason to stick around or interact after losing in the 1st round, if there's no platform that can host that. And if I want 40 minutes of effort only to come up short and be disappointed, I could always put that gym membership to use that I pay for without ever going.

I guess finding out if more people are interested and what kind of format they would prefer has to be step one.
Join Team Rocket!

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 05:49:57 pm »
+6

I would say for a small 8 player day tournament you set it up similar to how mafia games are set up. Create a thread with sign-up sheet and the rules. People can /in if they want. When it is full, start the matches.

With the rules just state how you plan on matchmaking and such. Mafia games have rules for posting frequency and such. You can make rules for how quickly the matches need to be played, what format the matches are going to be in, anything you want.

If people don't like the format, they don't play. If they do, then awesome! Also, people can start hosting day tournaments of various sizes and styles. Round robin, single elimination, double elimination.....there are options.

I mean, thinking about it in a mafia sense...we have drunk mafia, blitz, RMM, standard....all types as well as very large or very small games. Mods of the tournament can specify what type they want. Do they want serious, do they want a specific rating range, do they want all games to include scout? Doesn't matter. They created the mini-tournament and put it out for people to join.

And I think people will join
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 06:16:32 pm »
+2

I would say for a small 8 player day tournament you set it up similar to how mafia games are set up. Create a thread with sign-up sheet and the rules. People can /in if they want. When it is full, start the matches.

With the rules just state how you plan on matchmaking and such. Mafia games have rules for posting frequency and such. You can make rules for how quickly the matches need to be played, what format the matches are going to be in, anything you want.

If people don't like the format, they don't play. If they do, then awesome! Also, people can start hosting day tournaments of various sizes and styles. Round robin, single elimination, double elimination.....there are options.

I mean, thinking about it in a mafia sense...we have drunk mafia, blitz, RMM, standard....all types as well as very large or very small games. Mods of the tournament can specify what type they want. Do they want serious, do they want a specific rating range, do they want all games to include scout? Doesn't matter. They created the mini-tournament and put it out for people to join.

And I think people will join
New tournament.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14771.msg569158#new

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 06:44:32 pm »
+3

Happy to see that there's interest in one session tournaments. I think that they'd be fun, low pressure way to play dominion.

The following rules might be a good starting place for starting a series of easy-to-run 1 day tournaments.

-Start with a poll on best times to play (likely going to be on the weekend)
-Announce a date/time for the tournament and create a signup thread
-Create and post a (randomly) seeded tournament bracket to the thread. Single elimination for the first few tournaments
-Early rounds: best of 1. Semi-finals and finals: best of 3
-Contact your opponent when you are ready to play. No-show players forfeit the match after 15 minutes
-Streaming is encouraged throughout the tournament
-Players who win the tournament qualify for a "tournament of champions" held later in the year.

Anyone interested in organizing? Or sending teamrocketgrunt a beer?  :)

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 07:18:20 pm »
+3

Back in the iso days there were four One Day Cups. I looked up the threads to see some of the formats used, it turns out they were all different:
- Double elimination with first to 3 wins in normal rounds, first to 4 in semis, and first to 5 in the finals. This one took a long time to complete.
Bracket
- Swiss rounds with 5 games a match and then a top 4 (based on # of games won) playoff with first to 4 wins matches
Bracket
- Pool play with two groups (best of 5) then a top 4 playoff with best of 7 matches
Bracket
- Only had 5 entrants, it looks they just did round robin (best of 5)
Results

I always thought Swiss or pool play is nice because it guarantees everyone some number of games. You could shorten a lot of these example formats by reducing the best of #s, I do think it's good to at least do best of something (even if it's just 3).

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 08:37:59 pm »

Happy to see that there's interest in one session tournaments. I think that they'd be fun, low pressure way to play dominion.

The following rules might be a good starting place for starting a series of easy-to-run 1 day tournaments.

-Start with a poll on best times to play (likely going to be on the weekend)
-Announce a date/time for the tournament and create a signup thread
-Create and post a (randomly) seeded tournament bracket to the thread. Single elimination for the first few tournaments
-Early rounds: best of 1. Semi-finals and finals: best of 3
-Contact your opponent when you are ready to play. No-show players forfeit the match after 15 minutes
-Streaming is encouraged throughout the tournament
-Players who win the tournament qualify for a "tournament of champions" held later in the year.

Anyone interested in organizing? Or sending teamrocketgrunt a beer?  :)

This is actually remarkably similar to the best 1-day format I could think of, although I would probably do the first rounds swiss.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 09:15:13 pm »
+1

Yeah, if people were just in a Discord channel for the tournament, then the chat could be there. Getting a beer is still not on the cards though; disappointingly, I also failed to go get a beer with any tournament-goers at Adam's tournament a few weeks ago.
Next time you make it all the way out to one, I owe you a beer ;)

On topic: I'd probably participate in these.  1 day format doesn't seem likely to work out well for me, I'd rather just meetup IRL.  But I like the idea of doing something like Gokodom/Isodom swiss style.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 06:21:11 pm »
+1

It seems like there is enough demand for multiple simultaneous tournaments. My tourney filled up in about 24 hours.

dedicateddan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 07:33:50 pm »

Yeah, Limetime's tournament is going well.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to run one of these to create a signup thread that specifies rules and regulations

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 09:31:20 pm »
+2

Yeah, Limetime's tournament is going well.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to run one of these to create a signup thread that specifies rules and regulations

Indeed. I plan on playing until I get knocked out of Limetime's tournament, then starting my own. I feel like I'll probably try out something a little different, that way we can see what's most popular and what works the best for players.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 09:33:46 am »

So, I said I would look into running a tournament after Limetime's...

I looked back at the One Day Cups that used to be run in 2012/2013 for formats, turnouts, and whatever. Personally, in order to get everyone some games (to incentivize people who aren't confident of winning the tournament to sign up to play games), I feel like a Swiss tournament or a pool play tournament with a cut to top X would be the best format for this. In order to keep rounds progressing, I feel like best of 3 games would be sufficient for the first stage, with possibly best of 5 for knockout matches.

Obviously, scheduling is a bit difficult to get players from what I perceive to be the two geographical bases of players: Europe and North America (at least players that frequent these forums). So that leaves me with running this on a Saturday or Sunday, starting at 15:00 UTC or thereabouts (which would be 7am PST/10am EST, although the impending switch to daylight savings time screws with the calculations, hopefully when/if this happens there will be no confusion about start time).

How many people would be willing to set aside the time necessary to play in a One Day Cup? If you have preferred formats or scheduling, feel free to chime in on that as well. 

dedicateddan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 10:50:14 am »

I like Swiss as well

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 11:22:35 am »

I'd be in given that I'm available on that day. I'd put the starting time later though, even though it's perfectly fine for me. I'd guess there are more Europeans willing to stay up late for this than American willing to get up at 7 am on a weekend.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 20 queries.