Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Level 6s pulling 4 provinces in 13 turns  (Read 17412 times)

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: Level 6s pulling 4 provinces in 13 turns
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 07:51:10 pm »

I'm $1 from winning that game on turn 13. I think "man, it was close" is a more accurate description of the game.

If you bought the province on your turn 13, WW would've won on his turn 13 by buying the last province (4 provinces each, WW up by 3 fairgrounds). WW led by at least a province for the whole game.
He means $1 from getting two provinces. After his first 2 governor draws, he has a governor, gold, 2 silver, and 3 copper.  If he trashes the gold, he has 2 silver+3copper = $7 and $1 away from winning the game.  The fact he had draws a gold/governor the next turn shows that he had the goods to make that big turn. 

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 03:02:49 am »

I'm $1 from winning that game on turn 13. I think "man, it was close" is a more accurate description of the game.

If you bought the province on your turn 13, WW would've won on his turn 13 by buying the last province (4 provinces each, WW up by 3 fairgrounds). WW led by at least a province for the whole game.
He means $1 from getting two provinces. After his first 2 governor draws, he has a governor, gold, 2 silver, and 3 copper.  If he trashes the gold, he has 2 silver+3copper = $7 and $1 away from winning the game.  The fact he had draws a gold/governor the next turn shows that he had the goods to make that big turn. 

It also shows that I play bad and deserve to lose (the right play pretty clearly is to draw with the third Governor, as the endgame is pretty much hopeless for me anyway the way I played). If I play like a non-idiot, I win on that turn 60% anyway (if Governor is in the top 3 cards of that 5 card hand from turn 14).

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 12:53:46 am »

Counterpoint to this thread:  I played this rather straightforward game against a Level 26 today.  Here's the transcript of our chat:

23:46 A_S00: hi, gl hf
23:46 wangler: you too
23:49 wangler: oh i see
23:50 A_S00: gg
23:50 wangler: nice game
23:50 wangler: cool strat
23:50 A_S00: IW/G is way better than workshop, imo
23:51 wangler: i've actually never seen either
23:51 wangler: but yeah
23:51 wangler has returned to the lobby.

...wat.

vulturesrow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:35 am »

Counterpoint to this thread:  I played this rather straightforward game against a Level 26 today.  Here's the transcript of our chat:

23:46 A_S00: hi, gl hf
23:46 wangler: you too
23:49 wangler: oh i see
23:50 A_S00: gg
23:50 wangler: nice game
23:50 wangler: cool strat
23:50 A_S00: IW/G is way better than workshop, imo
23:51 wangler: i've actually never seen either
23:51 wangler: but yeah
23:51 wangler has returned to the lobby.

...wat.

And yet Im struggling to get to level 10 :(

Marcus316

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 11:44:14 am »
+1

Take heart! You're on these forums (which are excellent, BTW) and you're shoing a keen interest in improving (judging from the posts you've made in the "Help!" area). With time, you will improve. Patience is required, though ...

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 03:13:42 pm »

Take heart! You're on these forums (which are excellent, BTW) and you're shoing a keen interest in improving (judging from the posts you've made in the "Help!" area). With time, you will improve. Patience is required, though ...
I'm at level 17 after trying hard to improve. I actually took a break during the summer months+some of September and went from level 0 to the 10's in no time. Some times a nice break can do wonders for the mind when you come back and look at everything with a fresh view.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Echo354

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 03:17:14 pm »

Hey, I'm level 4 and just won a game where I managed to get 5 provinces on turn 11.  :)

Late last year I was around level 15, but around the holiday season my ability to play dropped drastically because I got busy, so the 30-day limit on games dropped me all the way back down to level 0 and I'm working my way back up. When I first started playing on Isotropic (last fall) I had no idea about how deep this game really was, and had only really played it a few times, mostly at conventions like Dragon*Con. I lost a LOT at first, and my overall record is still pretty crappy, but I've definitely been improving. Sometimes I still get a board that I just don't know what to do with, or my opponent busts out a strategy that I didn't see and which totally trumps mine, but I think I'm improving a lot. Finding this blog and these forums totally changed how I think about the game.

ugasoft

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:00 am »

The level is a lot higher now. It's not just good players with dummy accounts. These forums might even have something to do with it.
Yeah. I've had LOTS of people I don't recognize/haven't heard of wishing me luck in the tournament as I played games against them today...
Ditto that.
Lol. Hi :P I was one of the level 0s playing really well recently. Just climbed up to level 17. Also, thanks for the games WW and RJ. Good luck in the tournament to you both ;)

It's a competition? :D
Ok, I joined isotropic because I've heard about a "big dominon tournament" on Theory Blog (which I was following).
I was playing a lot with friends both in real life and on BretSpielWelt (now I usually can't play with my friends because I always win -.-'')
I registered on isotropic and just played 3-4 matches in order to understand how the interface works... I was not trying to play good, just asking to people how to use the interface, and obviously I lost all games, no problems.
I registered to the big tournament that is going to end now and I discovered that the initial seed depends of ranking... 6.952... LOL!!
My first (and unique) turn was against a 40 level player (nomnomnom) and I was beaten 4-1 (let's say 2 matches he won was well fighted and with better luck I could have been 3-2 for him or, with good luck 3-2 for me)
I started to play a lot and now I'm level 27, ascending every day, skill 36.309. In that tournament I will be ranked today 46, giving me 2 "virtually easy" turns.

It was fun, when I was low-level, to fight against some mid level players that don't expect I'm underrated... and now I usually don't play against player who are not in +-10 or 15 levels from me (except great, over 40 players... yesterday I had the honor of losing a game against WanderingWinder while watching one of his great videos ^_^)

My next goal is level 30 and, obviously, next big tournament!

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:19 pm »

6 Provinces in 15 turns by a level 0 (7.716 ± 9.886) guy??? What the hell???

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/27/game-20120127-173451-8a1eb16b.html

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 12:47:22 pm »
+1

Here's a nice one by a lvl 10:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/17/game-20120217-094139-c9a00eb9.html

4 Provinces and a Duchy in 12 turns... I could have Expanded my Gold into a Province and bought a Duchy the turn before instead of buying the Province, but I was sure the game was going to last a little longer and I'd be needing that Gold... ouch

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 01:26:25 pm »

Doesn't it work that if you dont play for so long you drop back down as it only looks at last 30 days or something?
So could be an awesome player making a big come back?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 01:33:27 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/17/game-20120217-094139-c9a00eb9.html

4 Provinces and a Duchy in 12 turns... I could have Expanded my Gold into a Province and bought a Duchy the turn before instead of buying the Province, but I was sure the game was going to last a little longer and I'd be needing that Gold... ouch

I don't know why, but I really like that he could have either Upgraded an Expand or Expanded an Upgrade for that last province. I think it would have taken me a couple minutes to decide.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 02:15:32 pm »

I don't know why, but I really like that he could have either Upgraded an Expand or Expanded an Upgrade for that last province. I think it would have taken me a couple minutes to decide.

We can't see what he drew but Upgrading the expand gives you an extra card to use so it's generally better if you dont expect to see either card again.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.