Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Spy + Caravan Guard  (Read 1943 times)

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
Spy + Caravan Guard
« on: February 14, 2016, 12:21:31 am »

I looked around a bit for this, but couldn't find much on Caravan Guard other than the official FAQ. The simple situation is reacting to Spy with Caravan Guard. The question is whether I draw a card before or after my opponent chooses what to do with my top card.

I can rationalize all 3 choices. Playing an action could always have the same speed, where the Spy was played first and get's to finish first, and the Caravan Guard was played second so it finishes second. Using the Reaction could make it faster, causing you to draw before being Spied on - I hate drawing corollaries to Magic, but cards played in succession resolve in reverse order. Playing on-play could effectively make both effects happen at the same time and you would get to choose which happens first, but then who would choose which happens first?

It doesn't seem like a profound question, but with the number of Spy variants, it could be a useful thing to have an answer to.
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Spy + Caravan Guard
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 12:30:37 am »
+9

Dominion cards are like little programs.  When a card says to do something, you do all things it says before going back to what you were original doing.  When your opponent plays Spy, the Caravan Guard reaction kicks in.  It says that when your opponent plays an attack, you can play the card.  Spy is interrupted while you do this.  You play Caravan Guard, doing all it says, before you do what Spy says.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:31:36 am »
+6

When a Reaction card reacts to another player playing a card, it's used after that card moves into the play area but before any of its instructions are followed. So your opponent plays Spy to the table, then you get to play any number of Caravan Guards from your hand, and finally the Spy attack is actually resolved. You may not play more Caravan Guards during or after Spy's resolution.

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 04:25:14 am »
+2

I think I got it. Sudgy's explanations really drives it home. It's similar to the stack in magic. Thanks for answering LastFootnote, but Reaction happening between the two events didn't seal the deal about an Action having the same effect.

(I'm using the definition of "event" based in physics, not the game mechanic)

So thanks guys. Do you want a cookie or a chest to pin it on?
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 06:17:30 pm »
+2

I think I got it. Sudgy's explanations really drives it home. It's similar to the stack in magic. Thanks for answering LastFootnote, but Reaction happening between the two events didn't seal the deal about an Action having the same effect.

(I'm using the definition of "event" based in physics, not the game mechanic)

So thanks guys. Do you want a cookie or a chest to pin it on?

It's pretty common to upvote people who are helpful. Less calories than a Cookie, and withstands privacy mode surfing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.