Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Expedition  (Read 10354 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Expedition
« on: February 11, 2016, 08:21:16 pm »
+6

Event -

Draw 2 extra cards for your next hand.

It's a double-Lab you have to pay for every turn.  Sort of.

Preliminary questions:
-When is it good to buy?
-How many should you buy - as many as you can afford, or just one or two?
-Can this replace terminal draw on an engine board?
-Madman would seem to be an obvious synergy, but do any other cards like that big starting handsize?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Expedition
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:38:35 pm »
+3

This is a great way to hit that price point early without adding extra treasures into your deck that you don't want -- I wouldn't exactly use it often in Big Money (unless it was the endgame, then it would be quite good to pick up over Estate pretty often) but it's a great way to hit that Altar or your first King's Court.

The biggest synergy I can think of would be with Mint.

As for replacing terminal draw, well I think non-terminal draw is a much better comparison to make -- nobody is spending any Actions at any point to make this happen. I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, though. You have to be consistently getting more value than $3 and a buy from two cards in your deck to make this even close to worth it in that case. This seems like something to do with those three dollar hands where you don't really want to buy anything.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:41:27 pm »

As for replacing terminal draw, well I think non-terminal draw is a much better comparison to make -- nobody is spending any Actions at any point to make this happen. I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, though. You have to be consistently getting more value than $3 and a buy from two cards in your deck to make this even close to worth it in that case. This seems like something to do with those three dollar hands where you don't really want to buy anything.

I've had some luck with it in a Bridge Troll game.  Get enough cost-reducers in play, and you no longer really need to spend on cards, so you may as well spend it on Events!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:20:27 pm »
+2

I've found it can be really good in mega-turn games or games where there's just not quite enough trashing or draw.  If, for example, I have a deck where I need to get 5 highways and my +buy cards in play, but I missed on getting it this turn, instead of getting a few more cards that really don't help my deck, I can buy 2 Expeditions and almost guarantee that I have my big turn.

I've played a few games where Expedition is part of your engine.  Buying an Expedition every turn can be the difference between a single Province almost-engine and a double Province engine.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:58:16 pm »

i think this is a card that is probably maybe a little more relevant than we think it is, and i'm excited for it to maybe ever be playable online. at some point someone will do some sort of, like, hamlet/bridge and then just add several expeditions each turn and then it turns out maybe it's super busted. maybe not, but theory will only take us so far and it'll help us to see and consider it in different cases, this card more than most i think.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 10:02:45 pm »

Crossroads helps draw more cards with a bigger handsome but then again when are Crossroads based engines viable.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:18:44 pm »
+6

It should be noted that Expedition draws cards immediately, and is therefore significantly less valuable in the presence of discard-to-X style attacks.  Approximately 22% of kingdoms include at least one of: Minion, Ghost Ship, Militia, Goons, Margrave, or Urchin/Mercenary.  An additional ~11% of kingdoms include at least one of: Tournament (Followers), Knights (Sir Michael), Peasant (Soldier), or Taxman.

An aside on procedure: If events were intended to be included in this alphabetical exploration of Adventures cards, the following were skipped: Alms, Ball, Bonfire, and Borrow.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 11:47:57 am »
+6

It should be noted that Expedition draws cards immediately, and is therefore significantly less valuable in the presence of discard-to-X style attacks.  Approximately 22% of kingdoms include at least one of: Minion, Ghost Ship, Militia, Goons, Margrave, or Urchin/Mercenary.  An additional ~11% of kingdoms include at least one of: Tournament (Followers), Knights (Sir Michael), Peasant (Soldier), or Taxman.

An aside on procedure: If events were intended to be included in this alphabetical exploration of Adventures cards, the following were skipped: Alms, Ball, Bonfire, and Borrow.

The series is titled "Let's Discuss Adventures Cards", and we all know Events are not Cards :)

Really, I'm just glad any form of these threads are still going, since I quickly became too busy to write up a big post every damn day.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

CG19

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 12:47:30 pm »

Expedition is like having 2 Caravans in play to start your turn.

Pros:
- Cost less than 1 Caravan
- Immediate
- No need to stagger Caravans, can buy it selectively

Cons:
- Affected by discard attacks
- Repay every time
- Not affected by cost-reducers

It seems like one of the less-interesting Event cards, but I think it's going to be really good for many engines. Events in general are just awesome.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 01:14:55 pm »
+1

I wonder how powerful of an effect opening with this on 3/4 would be.  It would give you a high probability of spiking $5 or $6 on your second turn, but would also cause a shuffle.  This mechanic alone could have a great effect on the entire game, depending on what the $5-cost cards are and if you want any <$5-cost cards.  It seems like you'd be at an advantage on 3/4 opposed to 4/3.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 01:43:25 pm »

I wonder how powerful of an effect opening with this on 3/4 would be.  It would give you a high probability of spiking $5 or $6 on your second turn, but would also cause a shuffle.  This mechanic alone could have a great effect on the entire game, depending on what the $5-cost cards are and if you want any <$5-cost cards.  It seems like you'd be at an advantage on 3/4 opposed to 4/3.

I think opening with Expedition would be quite a bit worse than Borrow, since you probably won't buy anything that helps your deck on T1 or T3, plus you're not even guaranteed to hit 5 opening Expedition on a 3/4 or 4/3.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 05:54:45 pm »
+2

On the other hand, a T3 Expedition can make sure that a key opening buy doesn't miss the shuffle.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 07:10:46 pm »
+1

Trading coins for cards is a powerful mechanic.

Expedition lets you spike higher value cards early, do something with 3 hands, and supplement the other draw on the board.

Mixing a few expeditions into an engine improves consistency, particularly for village engines.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 10:16:20 pm »
+3

Expedition has a major synergy with Forge. on a silver silver opening turn3 drawing 3 or 4 garentees a turn 4 forge.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:09:02 pm by Limetime »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 08:17:35 pm »
+6

Expedition is hard to evaluate, which I do like. Sure sometimes there's nothing else worth getting and it's easy to go for Expedition. But often it's a question, how good is this really. It's easy to forget about too.

It's very nice when you're trying to draw your deck every turn, to have your hand always start out bigger. Helping you line up those villages and smithies.

People actually do buy it sometimes in games with Militias. Just, man, Silver wasn't gonna be better, let's hope they don't have the Militia. They don't always. And when they do it still wasn't worthless.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.