Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combination card: Coppermaster (kindof a thought experiment)  (Read 2573 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
Combination card: Coppermaster (kindof a thought experiment)
« on: February 10, 2016, 04:40:54 pm »

This post of LastFootnote's made me think "What if we combine a few generaly weak copper focussed cards into one?"

The literal card+card version:
Coppersmith Counting House
Cost $6 - Action
Look through your discard pile, reveal any number of Copper cards from it, and put them into your hand. Coppers produce an extra $1 this turn.

another version that adds +buy while hoping to cost 5:
(takes limited number from coppers from the discard pile and can't be throned/KCed)
Coppermaster
Cost $5 - Action
+1 Buy.
Look through your discard pile, reveal up to X (2?) Copper cards from it, and put them into your hand.
-
While this is in play, coppers produce an extra $1.

What do you think of these? Worth using in place of Coppersmith and/or Counting House sometimes?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Combination card: Coppermaster (kindof a thought experiment)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 04:52:30 pm »

There's the question of: how much should a card combo with itself, vs. needing to combo with other cards. Obviously Coppermaster combos with Copper, but I mean other Kingdom cards.

I think Coppermaster will often be crazy in a non-engine deck, often getting you around +$5 (and +1 Buy). Maybe that's OK, tough to say. I think the easiest way to tone down the card would be to have it give e.g. +2 Cards rather than searching through your discard pile for 2 Coppers. This makes it better in engines without ruining its utility in non-engine decks. You might say, wouldn't it be crazy to have an engine that uses these for draw? And I would say, an engine filled with Copper that uses +2 Cards as its draw is very difficult to pull off.

I had in fact already considered a drawing version of Refurbish (that wouldn't trash), but didn't pursue it much since Enterprise already has a lot of +Cards.

EDIT: Short version: I think Coppersmith with +2 Cards might be fine at some price, though in the early game it could really snap up a Province or two quite quickly before burning out. Maybe that's fine.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:54:07 pm by LastFootnote »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:54:01 pm »
+2

EDIT: Short version: I think Coppersmith with +2 Cards might be fine at some price, though in the early game it could really snap up a Province or two quite quickly before burning out. Maybe that's fine.

Different idea along the same line:  Coppersmith with "Gain a Copper to your hand" rather than searching for Coppers either in deck or discard.  It's a guaranteed $2, but it pollutes your deck...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 01:04:53 am »

Different idea along the same line:  Coppersmith with "Gain a Copper to your hand" rather than searching for Coppers either in deck or discard.  It's a guaranteed $2, but it pollutes your deck...

Hmm, sort of a twist on Explorer. I like it, at least in theory. Probably I'd try it at $5. I wonder if it'd be too strong as a Big Money card; I bet it can pretty reliably gain a Province each time you draw one.

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:08:51 am »
+2

My suggestion for improving Counting House is: Counting House +1 Buy.

Sounds cool enough.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 04:34:44 am »

Coppermaster seems quite crazy, I think. +4 or more coins (occasionally less) and +buy make it quite fearsome.

What if the bonus weren't stackable on multiple plays? It would let one buff more freely the playability of the card (making it non-terminal, cantrip, offering +buy, +cards or similar). It would be less crazy when it gets crazy, but more often useful.
i'm thinking of a flat increase like "+2 Actions, Copper is worth 2" (or a treasure worth 1-2 with the same bonus)
Another cool thing to try is having the bonus scale on something else, like the value of the best treasure you have in play, or the number of Silvers you've played this turn, or the number of different Treasures you have in play...
That way you need to play only one card to get the bonus, leaving you free to try to build an engine focused on maxing the value of coppers and more likely to have place for the +buys and stuff. (I doubt my examples are good ideas, since they seem broken as engine payload, and weak otherwise)

Since there's no stopping the flow of bad ideas from me, here's another one:
+2 cards
Trash a card from your hand.
At the start of your buy phase, reveal your hand. Coppers you play this turn are worth a number of coins equal to the number of Estates in your hand.
BLAM! Megaturn!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:47:16 am by Accatitippi »

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 07:00:12 pm »

There was this entry in Really Bad Card Ideas along these lines.

Coppersmithy
Action $6

Draw three cards. Copper produces an extra $1 this turn.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:19 pm »

I think I'd prefer to just remove the +buy from my first Coppermaster idea.

Coppermaster
Cost $5 - Action
Look through your discard pile, reveal up to X (3?) Copper cards from it, and put them into your hand.
-
While this is in play, coppers produce an extra $1.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:37:24 am »

Coppersmith Counting House is obviously totally crazy.
While it is correct that Counting House and Coppersmith are fairly weak they are more weak like Adventurer, i.e. there are rarely Kingdoms in which you want them at all but in the right circumstances they shine all the brighter.

I don't think that anything Copper-based should be a powerhouse. Copper is supposed to be junk so anything that makes junk less junky should be a mediocre and not a good card.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:39:32 am by tristan »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.